Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Kanos posted:

ToME's main campaign is so long that if I had to pay 100% attention to it the entire time to play I would never finish.

This, 100%. Playing optimally is so tedious. I just steamrolled the main campaign on normal on a rogue with an icy kill and a projection ego randart. Spammed leeching poison everywhere and it was fun as hell being a sneaky poison vampire who could only really be killed if I didn't have my poisons on enough targets. Yeah it was a poo poo build on a poo poo class but it's more fun than constantly having to fiddle with everything just to not get oneshot. Scouting, reading every rare talent list, carefully retreating and re-gearing for resists is so unbearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Is it generally a good idea to go heavy armor, except on classes that have talents that disable when wearing heavy armor? Like Mobility classes.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yes. It's super useful on paradox mage for example

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kanos posted:

Eh, I don't really agree in personal experiences with both. Nightmare has a much smoother curve off the ground than either other difficulty(normal levels you entirely too slowly and insane virtually requires you to do silly NPC drowning or get a tool/charm that shoots bolts on many classes) and aside from some potential difficulty spikes that exist across all difficulties(Nur, Dark Crypt, High Peak, etc) is fairly auto-pilotable without needing to do things like constantly scout or do gear swaps for specific opponent types. You can achieve a comfortable win rate on Nightmare without ever dabbling in stuff like Track or Arcane Eye or Charm Mastery if you don't want to interact with that degree of fiddliness/micromanagement. Insane punishes you pretty hard for laziness like that unless you're playing the most brutally powerful classes.

ToME's main campaign is so long that if I had to pay 100% attention to it the entire time to play I would never finish.

You don't have to do any of that on Insane. To paraphrase bpat "mistakes on Insane are mistakes on Nightmare and Normal, those difficulties just punish you less."

What usually kills me on Insane is refusing to / taking too long to retreat from combat (after having ample chances) or, rarely, just not being able to get away from a given enemy because it has better mobility and debuffs than I do.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 16, 2018

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You don't have to do any of that on Insane. To paraphrase bpat "mistakes on Insane are mistakes on Nightmare and Normal, those difficulties just punish you less."

What usually kills me on Insane is refusing to / taking too long to retreat from combat (after having ample chances) or, rarely, just not being able to get away from a given enemy because it has better mobility and debuffs than I do.

The only actual punishment is dying, so a 'lesser' punishment isn't a punishment at all which means it really isn't even a mistake any more. Plus a lot of 'mistakes' are just picking non-optimal talents/classes/races/not doing extremely boring things like using charms and scouting 24/7. A lot of classes and abilities are 'bad' on insane but are 'good enough' on nightmare/normal, which is why I prefer them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The only punishment state in ToME is death; it's not like fighting an encounter suboptimally means that you're burning consumables or limited use abilities that you might need later' all that matters is if you get through it alive or not. Being punished less than "death" means you survived and it turns out you weren't punished at all.

When you hit a certain level of power on a good build on a strong class on Nightmare you can often bulldoze your way through ridiculously stupid situations like the Doomguy while E1M1 plays in the background. Sometimes I'll neglect to look at a rare and assume he'll get steamrolled and then I'll get smacked for 80% of my HP and reassess and actually press my active defensive buttons and recover. On Insane, the substantially increased number of randbosses/rares and their higher levels means that instead of taking 80% of my HP and being able to rally, I would die then and there. The reputation of Insane being a difficulty where scouting is necessary is because of the increased incidence of rares and randbosses.

To be honest, I really hate how common rares are as a general point because they're so absolutely random and swingy based on your class and situation. A brand new character in Trollmire runs into a Bulwark Mite Swarm; if he's a physical class and doesn't have a bolt tool, he's probably dead because he can't outrun it or outfight it. If he's a mage class he nukes it once and moves on with his life.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 17, 2018

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Kanos posted:

To be honest, I really hate how common rares are as a general point because they're so absolutely random and swingy based on your class and situation. A brand new character in Trollmire runs into a Bulwark Mite Swarm; if he's a physical class and doesn't have a bolt tool, he's probably dead because he can't outrun it or outfight it. If he's a mage class he nukes it once and moves on with his life.
On insane it's only really necessary to scout in a couple of situations, although I made it a habit to just hit Track any time I rested and before opening any door. Edit: now that I think about how I actually play I think I start hitting Track before turning any unknown corner in dreadfell and never stop.

Both of your specific complaints are addressed in 1.6 - mite swarms are less bullshit on randoms and the first few areas are less absurd on insane.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 17, 2018

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
And perhaps most importantly, Track has a duration equal to its cooldown in 1.6. There will be little reason not to keep it active at all times.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Got my first normal roguelike win as a melee mindslayer. At a certain point around dreadfell you become an unkillable blender. I almost rerolled to nightmare after bump attacking my way through the prides and high peak.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Baiku posted:

Got my first normal roguelike win as a melee mindslayer. At a certain point around dreadfell you become an unkillable blender. I almost rerolled to nightmare after bump attacking my way through the prides and high peak.

Fun fact about Mindslayer: You know how becoming a follower of Zigur prevents you from ever touching arcane-powered equipment? Well, the extra weapon you wield via Beyond The Flesh floats around in the air -- you don't really touch it. So there's nothing preventing you from mixing Antimagic with very powerful 2-handers like The Blighted Maul. That thing is absolutely disgusting when Frenzied Focus is active.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 18, 2018

Icetongue
Jun 22, 2015
Go for Legacy of the Naloren and wield it with the Trident of Tides which is conviently dropped by the water dragon in the flooded cave. Alternatively try Hydra's Bite with frenzied focus, since each hit affects two extra targets and has a chance to trigger one of three breath attacks. Makes fighting large groups absolutely ridiculous.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Baiku posted:

Do you mind posting the char / your build strategy? I've tried melee Mindslayers before and remember struggling at a certain point.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Decided to roll a Ogre Bulwark but I can't figure out how the gently caress I am supposed to level enough with this penalty.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Be more efficient in your skill selections, mostly.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm on par with what I need to have, but lvl 20 and have cleared everything before Dreadfell. HERE GOES NOTHING.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

If you're playing on Normal you will probably just straight-up not reach level 50 without farportal shenanigans or similar grinding tactics.

You also don't really need to hit 50 to win, though.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the last Bulwark I got close was a Cornac at lvl 44, but his DPS wasn't there and he couldn't get past an absorbtion shield one of the Prides had. Was a pity because I really liked that guy!

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
My last Bulwark was a Ghoul who got all the way to end bosses, effectively unkillable with heals and shields, a monstrous chunk of hp, more global speed than non-ghouls, 30+ resist all and 70 resists in most other places, except Arcane resistance, which was at 0 throughout the run. The last fight was a tragic reminder that you can come far neglecting some defenses (especially when you can just teleport or outrun most fights) but in the end it can catch up to you.

Also they pierced my 100% blind resistances somehow, I know Wet effects lowers stun resists, but what happened to my Blindresist to make me go insta blind every 10 turns or so?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

You know what I love? I love when you go to the Tinker training cave and instead of like four pushover robots there are 30 super killer robots.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

CoE feels like a joke character, like the Dan to Paradox Mage's Ryu. It has so many skills, but 80% of them are passives, making your play insanely monotonous. Its best trees are all locked. It has no built-in resists to any element or debuff (good luck casting Switch or Suspend, ever), your movement skills both require setup, and oh, and it hurts itself constantly. I don't know how this thing is supposed to work once Infusions get dumpstered; best you can do is spam Track and pull enemies from really far with Dark Whispers to get around your terrible cooldowns, but if you go down some stairs and you're surrounded by bosses, you're SoL.

It's really too bad that both Cults classes are such boring, terrible letdowns. :smith: At least I can still wind up the ol' buzzsaws.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Magitek posted:

Fun fact about Mindslayer: You know how becoming a follower of Zigur prevents you from ever touching arcane-powered equipment? Well, the extra weapon you wield via Beyond The Flesh floats around in the air -- you don't really touch it.

:stare:

now this is why I really enjoy this game

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Bleu posted:

CoE feels like a joke character, like the Dan to Paradox Mage's Ryu.

This sums up all of my experimentation with the class. I could see ways to make it work, but the entire time I just felt like I was playing a lovely and crippled Paradox Mage without half the payoff.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kanos posted:

This sums up all of my experimentation with the class. I could see ways to make it work, but the entire time I just felt like I was playing a lovely and crippled Paradox Mage without half the payoff.

:same:

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Bleu posted:

CoE feels like a joke character, like the Dan to Paradox Mage's Ryu. It has so many skills, but 80% of them are passives, making your play insanely monotonous. Its best trees are all locked. It has no built-in resists to any element or debuff (good luck casting Switch or Suspend, ever), your movement skills both require setup, and oh, and it hurts itself constantly. I don't know how this thing is supposed to work once Infusions get dumpstered; best you can do is spam Track and pull enemies from really far with Dark Whispers to get around your terrible cooldowns, but if you go down some stairs and you're surrounded by bosses, you're SoL.

It's really too bad that both Cults classes are such boring, terrible letdowns. :smith: At least I can still wind up the ol' buzzsaws.

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping they get an overhaul of some kind because so far Cults is a bit of a letdown compared to the other two DLCs.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Cults has left my reputation for making broken OP classes in RUINS

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

WO’s strength is probably fine :shobon: it has mobility, resistance, and damage - it just has two useless trees and is kind of boring to play. CoE doesn’t have any of those, unless we’re counting “moving Corruptor up the tier lists” as mobility.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
CoE was my class, although I submitted it as a first draft and left it with others to polish and balance. Some highlights of version 1.0:

- Nether had Riftcutter inflict a -30% resistall debuff, Spatial Distortion did more damage and had a 40% slow attached to it
- Dark Whispers/Sanity Warp did about twice as much damage, Cacophony silenced, and Hallucinations had a higher spawn rate
- Nullmail gave armor hardiness and more armor, Black Monolith pulsed an AoE daze, Essence Reave restored twice as many stars
- Reverse Entropy used to give flat DR based on a % of entropy, and Entropic Gift had base damage on top of it's entropy scaling
- Swap would also steal buffs from enemies, and Accelerate gained insanity
- Atrophy also gave you stats equal to the stolen value
- ZPE gave +damage% per rift, and both it Quantum Tunneling also gave unique buffs for the special rifts
- Unravel Existence used to be a castable debuff that caused applied debuffs to inflict %life damage, and summoned the herald when it hit 5 stacks, All is Dust removed sustains
- Prophecy of Ruin did it's damage in radius 2 and was a % of missing life, Madness both increased talent CD and placed talents on CD on talent use, and Treason caused enemies to apply a damage link effect

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Bleu posted:

WO’s strength is probably fine :shobon: it has mobility, resistance, and damage - it just has two useless trees and is kind of boring to play. CoE doesn’t have any of those, unless we’re counting “moving Corruptor up the tier lists” as mobility.

:iceburn:

... I pray for all the weaker classes :smith:

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Razakai posted:

CoE was my class, although I submitted it as a first draft and left it with others to polish and balance. Some highlights of version 1.0:

- Nether had Riftcutter inflict a -30% resistall debuff, Spatial Distortion did more damage and had a 40% slow attached to it
- Dark Whispers/Sanity Warp did about twice as much damage, Cacophony silenced, and Hallucinations had a higher spawn rate
- Nullmail gave armor hardiness and more armor, Black Monolith pulsed an AoE daze, Essence Reave restored twice as many stars
- Reverse Entropy used to give flat DR based on a % of entropy, and Entropic Gift had base damage on top of it's entropy scaling
- ZPE gave +damage% per rift, and both it Quantum Tunneling also gave unique buffs for the special rifts
- Unravel Existence used to be a castable debuff that caused applied debuffs to inflict %life damage, and summoned the herald when it hit 5 stacks, All is Dust removed sustains
- Prophecy of Ruin did it's damage in radius 2 and was a % of missing life, Madness both increased talent CD and placed talents on CD on talent use, and Treason caused enemies to apply a damage link effect

All of those seem like they should go back in the class :v: Especially the ones for the generally awful Timethief tree. Also, I didn't remember to complain about it, but it would be nice if the new classes got a couple egos associated with them, too, like the way Manastreaming or Bloodlich or all those useless mindstars exist. Why not a staff affix that produces insanity on crits? Give it -mental save and +dark/temporal, or something, and make it greater.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Bleu posted:

I feel like I need to savor this burn like a fine wine.

Razakai posted:

...:stare:

Yeah that would have been a Razakai class, alright. I want most of these back, especially the Dark Whispers ones, because holy poo poo that tree is a sad pathetic fart in its current incarnation.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 3, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

was Shibari involved in this balance pass

because that's what it looks like

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Shibari did a lot of work on Cults, yes.
At this point I'm probably not going to touch Cults much. Have submitted a brand new class for main game, have a Skirmisher rework, a class for a future DLC and Eternal Darkness 2.0 to do, so lots on my list.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Cultist is fun for a bit, but I felt like *all* of it's power was baked into the Herald. Every fight quickly devolved into just going through the motions to summon it and maybe build up a nice entropy sundae to share with something while it lawnmowered through the prides.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
On the plus side, the Cults races seem rad. Drem Rogue has been a shitton of fun so far, frenzy seems redonkulous. Also the other one (un-Ogre?) seems like it could also be really good for rogue/etc with dual-wielding 1handers

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

On the plus side, the Cults races seem rad. Drem Rogue has been a shitton of fun so far, frenzy seems redonkulous. Also the other one (un-Ogre?) seems like it could also be really good for rogue/etc with dual-wielding 1handers

Drem are just fun. Who doesn’t like the ol’ Double Dip?

Krog Rogue probably isn’t your best choice because you have access to Lethality and because there are some fantastic arcane daggers. Marauders, on the other hand...

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Wow, I have had a completely different experience with Cultist. It's a really fun design, and imho very strong. There is definitely a learning curve as most trees require their capstone ability to perform and you can get lost by lightly dipping into multiple trees without going far enough to make them actually work, but I feel like that complexity is ok for the 3rd DLC this late into the game's lifespan. I built my first one fairly poorly just messing around and still slam dunked the main campaign on Insane/adventurer, though I was admittedly totally unprepared for the new postgame boss. I played fairly casually, ignored the Herald as anything but a nice random bonus if an encounter went on too long, and had a pretty chill game. It plays like a true controller in that you need to really be proactive about how you set up fights, but it rewards you for that proactiveness by making most encounters almost trivial after the first couple rounds, and Void Stars gives you that up-front survivability to stay in long enough for everything to kick off. I greatly enjoy the defensive flow of managing void stars. Prophecies are extremely cool, I love having to choose and sculpt my play around those several really powerful but mutually exclusive defense options in Revelation, and being able to swap them around lets you experiment or adapt without opportunity cost. I adore Razakai's classes, but I feel the nerfs in the release version are almost all well deserved, fair, and on the whole improved the class. It's going to be a new favorite for me (alongside Paradox Mage and Psyshot) for doing stupid challenge conduct insane runs.

Probably my only quibbles with the class as it currently exists are: Netherblast is basically worthless atm, it's fine for there to be a simple "basic attack" but it could really benefit from having something interesting about it, smite targeting perhaps, or at least accurately report that its projectile speed is not in fact instant! Entropic Gift has some potentially abusable un-fun uses, though not as bad an offender as some other things that are still in the game, and the class plays just fine ignoring it so I don't think it needs changing. Switch sad to say needs a complete redesign rather than the received nerf (there's a nerf complaint for y'all) since without the buff steal it's just a boring inferior Suspend, and trying to use a non-instant talent as a status cleanse is pure suffering. Speaking of Suspend, it currently doesn't work as advertised but is still extremely powerful: what it actually does is time prison only you while all your DoT's tick down on enemies, at full investment that's 6 turns of invulnerability/cooldown reduction/status effect timeout while enemies are still taking damage. I really like this (unintended?) effect, and it feels flavorfully iconic for the class, but as it is now it is very confusing because it behaves quite differently from the description.

Oh, and Terminus is ridiculous bullshit but it's far too cool and fun to nerf, plz never take away my "clear the whole screen then spend 3 free turns victory dancing."

My first run is here: https://te4.org/characters/5574/tome/4c3c7ea9-8d13-4580-a194-622f729beeab off the top of my head big things I'd definitely change are way less investment in Netherblast, more in Dark Whispers+Cacophony, and while leveling I really did myself a disservice by 1) underestimating our lord and savior Monolith 2) not going for the 2 void stars gain breakpoint on Essence Reave sooner.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Can someone help me? I am a dumb who is also a bad.

I keep trying to play Possessors on normal and I keep dying. I can't kill a drat thing. I posses, like, a Stone Troll and then it doesn't do anything. I still can't kill poo poo. Rare monsters tear me to pieces. Bosses tear me to pieces. More than two guys at once? To pieces. The only guide I found doesn't seem to help much, it focuses on what you're doing once you've already got plenty of power and are humming along.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

Falcon2001 posted:

Krog is good, but not for their dual wielding shenanigans. Mostly because they have an easy to apply stun that's attachable to anything that does damage, can conditionally reset their infusions, and have a 20-40% damage reduction that lets them reset their stun party.

I'm not quite sure all that makes up for being forced into antimagic, but I've got a Krog Cursed I'm calling a win (finished two prides, am bored of cursed because holy poo poo i hate this class) that's been... not completely terrible, difficulty wise.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Helion posted:

Can someone help me? I am a dumb who is also a bad.

I keep trying to play Possessors on normal and I keep dying. I can't kill a drat thing. I posses, like, a Stone Troll and then it doesn't do anything. I still can't kill poo poo. Rare monsters tear me to pieces. Bosses tear me to pieces. More than two guys at once? To pieces. The only guide I found doesn't seem to help much, it focuses on what you're doing once you've already got plenty of power and are humming along.

Any help would be appreciated.
Is it this guide?

http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=48025

If so this is what you're missing

quote:

The drowning start - I refer to this a lot, the standard form is "restart until you get a Last Hope with a boss spawn, swap positions with rare/unique/boss NPCS until they're in the water, then they drown, you get XP and steal their stuff." The Possessor form is "clear an area near the water, either by walking commons out of LOS and out of hearing, or by drowning them. Then, one at a time, walk over a rare/unique/boss and, when they are about to die (usually ~25% life bar left unless Blurred Mortality or similar skill is in effect), hit them with Possess, get XP, a host, and stuff." You may choose to wait on killing a boss NPC until you can Possess them, use the alternative Cornac build for early boss possession, take the XP and ignore the body, or start-scum for a Unique instead of a Boss.
Insane guides like that one are generally written assuming you drown all the rare/unique/boss in all the towns or at least Lost Hope. On insane this will get you to level 6 or so before you've killed a single monster. This means 1) Their posessors start off with level 25+ bodies from Lost Hope and 2) Their posessors start at the talent levels where posessors aren't complete dog poo poo.

edit: a popular add-on starts you off with a wand of asphyxiation that lets you point and click drown NPC's in towns.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I guess I just hoped that if I played on normal I could go without that drowning stuff.

• Locked thread