Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
I hold the opinion that beer has a much wider range of tastes than wine, but I'm not a wine expert at all. Would you agree with that?

Also, out of curiosity, have you ever had any Texas wines? Are there any you like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

Professor Shark posted:

It looks like the thread may be dying, but I thought I'd ask this here rather than starting a new "Tell":

I've made beer a few times using my Mr. Beer kit:

So far I've made two "West Coast Pale Ales", one regular and one that I added grapefruit zest to (boiled it as it said on the instructions, then added to the "keg").

During March Break I'm planning on making a Lemon Tea beer (homage to the Mill Street version that is no longer being sold in my province), which I plan on adding lemon zest as well as Orange Pekoe (Lipton maybe) and Black Tea (Lady Grey) to.

My question is, do I just cut open the tea bags and boil them along with the lemon zest? Additionally, how much tea should I add to get a mild flavor? ***The Mr Beer keg is 2 gallons

I also plan on making a second batch after the first, which is just going to be a clementine beer.
It doesn't matter too much, but you can keep the tea in the bag so you can pull it out in the end to avoid excess gunk in your beer. It might also make sure the tea flavor doesn't keep getting stronger with aging.

Tea is a pretty strong flavor, and the beers and wines I've had with it have all been overpowered by the tea flavor. I'd be careful with how much you use; one bag is probably too much. Search around online and post something in the homebrew forum to see if folks have recommendations for how much tea per gallon you should add. It's always in your best interests to start with a very small amount, then try ramping it up on your next batch. Are you going off of a specific recipe?

• Locked thread