Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'll go for some spirits-related stuff:

What's you're favorite cognac for under $200/bottle? For that matter, do you prefer cognac or armagnac?

Have you found any seriously good sipping rums in Canada? I find most of the usual suspects (El Dorado, Zacapa) are way too sweet for me. Havana Club Seleccion de Maestros is probably the best I've found in Canada, but it's still not great. I'm not sure how connected you are to the business end, but do you know what would be involved in a small-scale importation of spirits (for sale or otherwise)? I'm led to believe the process for wine, and possibly beer, is a lot easier than for spirits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Soggy Muffin posted:

You've mentioned your dislike of Napa, and I tend to agree. I've worked in an upscale liquor store for the past 5 years and have had many tastings of expensive reds from that region and few really grab my palette. I was completely floored by how mediocre a 2008 Silver Oak Cabernet ($70) was in comparison to a 2011 CMS red blend ($12). It virtually had no body at all.

But what do you think about Lodi? There seems to be a number of good Zinfendels coming from that region. OZV is currently my go to wine, there really is no equivalent for the price ($9). It's so good that I've stopped recommending it to customers because I want it all for myself.

Also, what are your thoughts on wineries adding additives to their product? I've heard some add sugar, eggs, milk, chemicals, etc to boost the flavors and give it better "tears". Is this just a myth?

I'd have to agree about Napa wines, but I'd like to add another question: have you found a single Canadian wine (excluding dessert wine) that provides any kind of reasonable quality and value? I've found wines that provide either [reasonable] quality or value, but never both yet.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

How do you feel about Champagnes vs. other kinds of sparkling wines? I find most of the big name French wine to be, although excellent, considerably overpriced, but Champagne I would make an exception for, because I've never had a cava, prosecco, or any other sort of sparkling wine that even comes close to the quality of a entry- to mid-level Champagne. Am I unnecessary snobbish about this (i.e. are there better sparkling wines to be found)?

On the NZ wine question, I will say I'm a big fan of their whites, and I say that as someone who doesn't care all that much for white wine. I don't even find them that expensive, for the quality. Maybe they just have no low-end market.

Another question: what are some of your favourite Spanish wines? I've had consistent luck with Spanish wines from all regions, but I'm wondering if there's some real heavy-hitters (either quality-for-money, or quality outright) that I should make sure to try. One of my current favourites is Marques de Murrieta, but I think that's just because I've always had it on memorable, awesome occasions. On the more expensive (but not insane) end, I'm also a very big fan of Clio, if that gives you an idea where my tastes lie.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

No, just inspired by a type of beer I like. I'll try two bags, one Lady Grey (light, citrusy) and the standard Orange Pekoe and see how that goes!

I'd try a green tea as well. I had a green tea wheat beer on tap at a brew pub in Montreal, and it was totally the best thing ever. Apparently everyone else thought so too, because I came back the next day and it was all gone.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dusseldorf posted:

Jeez, you guys have a 100% markup on wine?

I was looking this up, and it's not actually that bad. The problem with it is that it's paid by the importer instead of remitted when the goods are moved, so markup is applied on the import duty at every level, and since most of the taxes are based on volume of wine or spirits, it hits cheaper products disproportionately hard. Ontario is one exception to the rule, as unlike (for example) Alberta, the provincial tax applied on wine (and possibly spirits, I didn't check) is an ad valorem tax, but it's still only 16%. The problem is that it will be marked up several times over, along with the per-volume taxes at the federal and provincial levels.

Then, if you're comparing it against Ontario-produced wine, it seems doubly bad because the tax rate applied to Ontario wine in Ontario (and possibly all domestic wine at the federal level) is 10% lower to encourage people to buy local products. My guess is that California, or possibly the US as a whole, has similar policies, making it very hard to compare apples to apples.

Our taxes are still very high compared to most other places, and the US especially, but it's not quite as bad as it might seem. Our tobacco taxes make our liquor taxes seem downright reasonable (67% of value federally, and up to 90% additionally at the provincial level in the case of cigars). Having vices up here is goddamn expensive.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I just did the WSET Level 1 course in wine tasting today, and I really have to recommend it. Tasting 8 wines back to back, some of the same varietal from different regions, others not (it was 8 each of white and red), and discussing the factors in growth and production that change the wine, really helps you understand the differences easier than doing it one glass at a time on your own. A lot of it is influenced by psychological factors, and there were certainly good, inexpensive wines and bad, expensive wines, but I don't think wine tasting is bullshit the way a lot of people say it is*. They also went over some basic food pairing principles, though I'm far from an expert after an 8-hour course. Honestly, considering some of the bottles we sampled were $80-100 apiece, it wasn't even a terrible value ($350 for the course, $50 for the tasting glasses).

* I don't give a poo poo if it's possible to "trick" people. That doesn't make wine tasting bullshit. For wine tasting to be invalidated, you'd have to prove to me that there's a better way for me to select the wines I want to drink (and for the winemakers to create their wines properly) than the tasting process. As taste is subjective, it stands to reason that wine tasting cannot be objective, but that doesn't make it wrong or useless.

EDIT: The other important bit is that they purposefully pick wines that make whatever point they want to make about the varietal or the style, and of course they also set a logical order for them to be tasted in. I probably learned as much in one day about wines than I have in the past two years of just drinking it frequently.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 30, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

computer parts posted:

Maybe some sort of label to indicate the region they are from.

Do you really, really want to bring this up, again, in the wine thread, of all places? The vast, vast majority of old world wine is labelled by region, and it does confer important information to the consumer of the wine regarding growing conditions, the production and maturation of the wine, and the varietals used. Additional, legally protected terms like "reserva", "gran reserva" and "crianza" (admittedly only protected in certain countries) also provide us interesting information. These things together are enough to get the wine consumer pretty close to what they would like to drink, after which they can sample different vintages and producers of that wine to determine what they like best.

EDIT: I don't want to re-tread this ground, because I already got put on probation once for defending my position on the matter. If I can't zealously defend my position without risking probation, I submit that it's not a fair discussion to have. That thread got gassed for a reason, it would be a shame to see this one get gassed too. I didn't bring this up, so loving drop it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

20ozMonkey posted:

Does Canada have strict "label approval" for all alcoholic products like the US does? From what I've learned the label approval process in the US is a nightmare in terms of the criteria that need to be met.

Ours are probably more stringent if anything. It's usually more difficult to find an ABV on an American container than in Canada, for example (perhaps it's just selection bias, though). We allow stick-on labels for legally-required info on wine bottles, at least in Alberta. Sadly, those are often applied over the original labels, which is a pain in the rear end. Without knowing what the label approval process is in the US it's hard to say.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Masonity posted:

Chablis is the next on our list, but it's hard to find a cheap bottle. Is Petit Chablis the same thing? I understand it's grown in the areas surrounding where proper Chablis is, but is the soil and grape variety still close enough to result in a similar wine?

Petit Chablis consists of areas just outside and pretty much immediately adjacent to Chablis proper. The wines are produced with the same grape as Chablis, and tend to be of the same style, but the soil geology is slightly different, so the wines are not thought to be quite as good.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Kasumeat posted:

I'm not sure about the soil to be honest. I've certainly heard the claim, but it's mostly come from people who have an interest in promoting the superiority of more prestigious vineyards. Chablis' quality levels are actually divided almost entirely on exposure, which translates into warmth. Petit Chablis vineyards almost exclusively face north, which receives none of the afternoon sun, and bares the brunt of the cold, bitter winds from farther north. What this means is that in most vintages, you're not going to get sufficient ripeness for good wine, especially in a cool region like Chablis. However, in very warm years, it can achieve good ripeness. HOWEVER, I still wouldn't recognise buying most Petit Chablis, even in warmer vintages. Why? Because Chardonnay wine is made primarily in the winery, not the vineyard, and there's no incentive for winemakers to spend money on what makes Chardonnay interesting - lees contact, batonnage, oak, etc., on Petit Chablis, which they can't sell for nearly as much as their other wines.

Fair enough, that makes good sense.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

slidebite posted:

I have a question about whiskey, Rye in particular.

For some reason Whiskey with a high corn content just makes me want to puke, but I have discovered that I like whiskey with a very high (as in 100%) rye content. Can you recomend some for me to try or other whiskeys that might interest me knowing my preference?

I have pretty much stuck to Alberta Premium

Try Alberta Premium Dark Horse if you're looking for something similar but distinct. It's casked in rum barrels, which lends it a nice bit of sweetness, but it's not as overly sweet as I find most corn whiskeys. I've also had very good experiences with any of High West's products. They aren't all 100% rye, but nonetheless they have the rye spiciness that you're probably after. I can't remember if you're in Calgary, but if you are, I know you can find some of their products at Vine Arts on 1st Street (great store, if you've never been).

I'm by no means a bourbon expert or anything, but if you're willing to give it a try again, I'd recommend Four Roses Small Batch. It was the first bourbon I ever drank where I finally understood why people could actually like it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

slidebite posted:

Thanks for the tips, I've never seen Alberta Premium dark horse but I'll look for it. I am actually down in Lethbridge, but we have a few really well stocked specialty shops so I should be able to track it down.

It would take a real leap of faith for me to knowingly buy a bourbon, but I'm not against trying. Neat I assume?

I prefer all my whisk(e)ys with varying degrees of ice (scotch with only one or two cubes, rye with a full glass of ice, bourbon in the middle). Try it neat and on the rocks, and see which you prefer. It's 45% ABV I think, so dilution isn't the worst thing for it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What do you think of Spanish brandies? I was in Spain last week and I drank a few glasses of 1866 Gran Reserva, which was really good for the price I was paying. The flavour reminded me a little bit of a tawny Port, but it's still very obviously brandy. I had some Torres 10 as well, which I didn't care for as much. Can you recommend me a Spanish brandy I have a decent chance of finding in Alberta?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

Spanish brandies are generally regarded as the best in the world. So, as long as you aren't buying the cheapest one, you are in for a treat! They are usually drier than French brandies, so which one you like more depends slightly on taste. Lepanto, Don Pedro, Gran Duque and Senor Lustao 1940 are all absolutely outstanding brandies.

I thought Cognacs and Armagnacs were usually considered the best in the world? Or are they just more well-known and available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Kanye East posted:

A quick question, what regions do you recommend for Gamay?

I'm not an expert, but the best examples I've had have all been Cru Beaujolais. I guess it depends what style of wine you're looking for, though.

• Locked thread