Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words
Forgot the maps? Then what in the bloody hell is taking up 10Gb ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
^The maps aren't textures you know.

Ah well, I fully expect there to be maps when I end work in a few hours.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Karmalis posted:

Cargo Tetris has been added secretly. It's the only part of the game that is feature complete.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Karmalis posted:

Probably all these giant .pak files that have to do with graphics!

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

McDeth posted:

My god, there is no facepalm big enough

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaahahah

Sin-
Jan 10, 2007
comedy placeholder

(9:12:08 AM) Travis Day: Hey guys, sorry for the delay, the initial release patch did not properly transit all level files from the CDN to your computers. We are working the problem now and will update you as soon as possible!

(9:12:48 AM) Travis Day: Not yet, network engineers are digging through the problem with the CDN system
(9:12:51 AM) Travis Day: The maps are uploaded
(9:13:00 AM) Travis Day: but not getting pushed to the client
(9:13:35 AM) Travis Day: Manual distribution is an option being explored in parallel to CDN fix
(9:13:40 AM) Travis Day: small patch

hopefully not a massive task to unfuck this

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaahahah

That is some bush league poo poo right there.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Anyone happen to know which CDN they're using? Because if it's Amazon I'm going to laugh soooooo hard.

Also hate to break it to you non-product-releasers out there but this kind of issue is not as simple as you think. At least if it's actually the CDN's fault.

Edit: Apparently the answer is "Highwinds" which you may recognize as the website that serves Windows. Nice.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 4, 2014

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

DaveKap posted:

Anyone happen to know which CDN they're using? Because if it's Amazon I'm going to laugh soooooo hard.
I have Amazon Prime, so I'm assuming I'll have the map files within two days.

Sin-
Jan 10, 2007
comedy placeholder
(9:20:36 AM) Travis Day: Patch is building now to resolve the issue

Taking bets on the next minor oversight

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

supposedly the maps might be in the current build but they're just in the wrong directory

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Sin- posted:

(9:20:36 AM) Travis Day: Patch is building now to resolve the issue

Taking bets on the next minor oversight

My bet is that the new patch deletes the EXE file, and the only one cannot be used because the manifests have changed on the supporting DLLs. Then after that it'll delete your entire drive due to some sort of minor uninstall error.

This is the new Star Citizen delay tactic: release bits and pieces of the game that don't actually work, while deleting others. Brilliant. They'll reach $60mil in no time.

Pathos fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 4, 2014

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I don't know what is more comical, the RSI attempting to build hype, then floundering completely at the finish line, or goons flipping the gently caress out over, what is ultimately, a relatively minor delay. I suspect the two might be related though :science:

Sidenote:

Even though it is probably not the case, I cant help feeling like ED 150$ beta price, is way more greedy than the RSI approach of buying in at 40$, ED may have the actual functioning game part down, but their marketing stuff is kinda shoddy.

ED is an unfinished but functioning game which you can play, solo or with others. Is it worth $150 60? I am not a game expert to answer that. However, the only available alternative to ED is SC, and you get nothing in return for your 40 bux, yet.

I love cats fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 4, 2014

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
That buglist is pretty amazing, they still have (multiple) multiplayer desync issues that they listed as blockers before? I guess they just decided that these constant delays were hurting them and to throw it out the door regardless.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

DaveKap posted:

Also hate to break it to you non-product-releasers out there but this kind of issue is not as simple as you think. At least if it's actually the CDN's fault.

Edit: Apparently the answer is "Highwinds" which you may recognize as the website that serves Windows. Nice.

Judging by the reverse DNS of the download IP, it seems to be Highwinds CDN. CCP, Wargaming, all those guys use them.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

I love cats posted:

ED is a feature complete game

ED is mostly a game held together by hacks to make it look like it's working, I like it, it's fun, it's very playable, but in no way is it feature complete or even remotely finished.

It's well worth 150£ if you want to support development of awesome space games.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 4, 2014

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012

Fredrik1 posted:

ED is mostly a game held together by hacks to make it look like it's working, I like it, it's fun but in no way is it feature complete or even remotely finished.

I stand corrected, then.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

Fredrik1 posted:

ED is mostly a game held together by hacks to make it look like it's working

The irony meter is overloading, everyone run!

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

RubberJohnny posted:

I'm just saying that ED lacks a lot of things, like multiplayer space travel for example. Is it a good game? Yes, is it fun? Totally. Is it feature complete? Not really.

It's very playable for a beta.

Tell
May 26, 2013
I don't know if it's a problem of my PC or if it's actually something everybody has: The lovely dark deluxe hangar. How are I'm supposed to enjoy the look of my ships when everything is dark?! It was already bad in the old version. Because of that I switched to the business hangar to check out my ships.

Rambowjo
May 27, 2008

:cop: let it go dude, hail satan

I love cats posted:

ED is an unfinished but functioning game which you can play, solo or with others. Is it worth $150 60? I am not a game expert to answer that. However, the only available alternative to ED is SC, and you get nothing in return for your 40 bux, yet.

The point is that ED wants dedicated testers. They don't really need money, they are an established company and have all the resources they need. The high price is to avoid the situation SC is now in (hundreds of thousands of angry customers), and to make sure those who buy in understand the conditions of the product. On top of that you get all expansions for free with the $150, and eventually it'll be just $100.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Fredrik1 posted:

I'm just saying that ED lacks a lot of things, like multiplayer space travel for example. Is it a good game? Yes, is it fun? Totally. Is it feature complete? Not really.

It's very playable for a beta.

What it lacks in towels it makes up for in maps

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
^ True, it has a bobble head though, not sure why all games have to cram one of those in these days?

Tell posted:

I don't know if it's a problem of my PC or if it's actually something everybody has: The lovely dark deluxe hangar. How are I'm supposed to enjoy the look of my ships when everything is dark?! It was already bad in the old version. Because of that I switched to the business hangar to check out my ships.

I have the shittiest hangar whatever that was called and it was also extremely dark but I assumed that it was just because they weren't finished with the lighting, I haven't really started it in a year.

Rambowjo
May 27, 2008

:cop: let it go dude, hail satan

Fredrik1 posted:

^ True, it has a bobble head though, not sure why all games have to cram one of those in these days?

I have the shittiest hangar whatever that was called and it was also extremely dark but I assumed that it was just because they weren't finished with the lighting, I haven't really started it in a year.

You didn't pledge for electricity, so now you only get the emergency lighting.

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012

RubberJohnny posted:

He exaggerated a bit, but he was referring to something else entirely; the game's working fine for me (on a lovely computer, I3@2.9Ghz, 4GB RAM, ATI 4850HD). The level of polish is noteworthy.

I love cats fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 4, 2014

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Rambowjo posted:

You didn't pledge for electricity, so now you only get the emergency lighting.

I knew only pledging 37 bucks would come back and bite me in the end.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
You can't say that ED is overpriced at $150 and still claim that SC isn't pay2win. If $500 spaceships are are just a way to express how much you want the game to happen, so is a $150 alpha. But if ED really is a "bad deal" compared to SC, then those $150 spaceships must be "worth" something, no?

I could see how the high price tag on limited access could annoy the average instant gratification gamer. But from the developer side, it's far easier to manage. And up until this very moment it's really hard to counter-argue that CIG are doing things a better way.

Sin-
Jan 10, 2007
comedy placeholder
Patch is out

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You guys arguing about P2W 100 pages later have fallen for the long con troll

Also forgetting the maps is basically PGI 101, RIP MWO

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012

Rambowjo posted:

The point is that ED wants dedicated testers. They don't really need money, they are an established company and have all the resources they need. The high price is to avoid the situation SC is now in (hundreds of thousands of angry customers), and to make sure those who buy in understand the conditions of the product. On top of that you get all expansions for free with the $150, and eventually it'll be just $100.

I find the SC monetization model pretty sleazy. They should not have put all these spaceship packages up for sale to allow/convince insane people to spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on.

If the game fails, these people will be outraged. If the game succeeds and these ships will end up being pay 2 win, everyone who did not buy them will be outraged. If these ships won't be pay2win items, those who spent money on them will be outraged.

I love cats fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 4, 2014

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
http://www.twitch.tv/bteamgaming

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I love cats posted:

If they game fails, these people will be outraged. If the game succeeds and these ships will end up being pay 2 win, everyone who did not buy them will be outraged. If these ships won't be pay2win items, those who spent money on them will be outraged.
But in all three cases Chris Roberts still has $45 million dollars.

Cpt Underpants
Nov 19, 2008

Simply Irresistible
Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

They're using Highwinds, at least, that is where my download is coming from.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

So now it's kinda real.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Games › Star Citizen: Alert - Systems Overheating

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The rocket velocity seems to be way off. Anyone else having this problem?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Game looks cool but god drat that dude is awful at it

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am currently at work, where I have a much faster connection.
Is there any way to DL the launcher here and then transfer the files onto my gaming PC at home?

NVM found a way

Hopper fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 4, 2014

deadly mawk
Sep 7, 2010

You got a flash drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I just loaded it.

Avenger owners get a loaner 300i, not a hornet.

• Locked thread