Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I like how there's apparently been a Godzilla situation with a giant penguin attacking the city in the background for the past couple of chapters and no one's paying it any attention. Like, whatever, happens all the time.

I didn't even notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
I heard one theory that everything is penguins in the background now due to Honoka restoring the city after the events of the last arc and Honoka is practically obsessed with penguins. Compare this to before when there were tanks/zeppelins/shells/other warlike instruments in the background before because it was Kazane who built the invisible magic barrier that encompassed the town.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There's been a nice trend of a lot of chapters coming out quickly of late, and I hope it continues. Mystery penguinzilla is being addressed and pretty much everyone is calling out Honoka's little sister on how creepy, weird, and dumb she is. Mrs. Takamiya is also clearly a great parent.

Idiots being morons is truly the best genre :allears:.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 11, 2014

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Latest episode is out, and yep, Weekend has some Batman-level preparation powers, even down to the last minute where it looked like the good guys were finally winning.

Also, word has it that there will be an extra OVA coming out this summer with the next manga volume. I hear the show's been doing surprisingly well in sales. Wonder if that will lead to anything more.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Kleptobot posted:

Latest episode is out, and yep, Weekend has some Batman-level preparation powers, even down to the last minute where it looked like the good guys were finally winning.

Also, word has it that there will be an extra OVA coming out this summer with the next manga volume. I hear the show's been doing surprisingly well in sales. Wonder if that will lead to anything more.

They would be running out of Material pretty soon to adapt, the Manga is only just starting the arc after the current Anime. Good that it is doing so well.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm glad it's doing well, too. It's certainly one of the prettiest animes at least this season, even when depicting a post-apocalyptic hellscape.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Do people mind if this becomes the de facto manga thread? The latest chapter continues to deliver on People Being Real Dumb for the sake of comedy and absurdity. "I :love: Weekend" dress. God drat.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

It'd probably be fine to combine the two into a single thread, as long as people remember to mark anime/manga spoilers as such, especially since the manga is only a single arc ahead of the anime, so a lot of stuff is going to spoil current ongoings in the anime.

So for example:

Manga spoilers Tanpopo is a cat

Anime spoilers Tanpopo is not a cat

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Good to know Kasumi remembered to bring her space helmet into battle today. Also, could there be someone even more evil than Weekend, or is Weekend about to say "Remember those seals you put on that boy? Yeah, about that..."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't even see why Evermillion is such a big threat. Every witch has been a deranged eccentric thus far. Evermillion is just a (literally) bigger version of that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kleptobot posted:

Good to know Kasumi remembered to bring her space helmet into battle today. Also, could there be someone even more evil than Weekend, or is Weekend about to say "Remember those seals you put on that boy? Yeah, about that..."

Pretty sure Weekend is talking about Ayaka and Honoka, though Chronoir and Evermillion are likely more evil than she is, even with her sweet mask. Also this latest chapter was basically everything I love about this series.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Last episode is out. Apparently some internet denizens were freaked out at the slightly changed ending. Admittedly it did feel lamer than the manga version, but considering there probably won't be a S2 I'm okay with it.

At least the magic teddy bear and paper rabbit became friends. Sort of.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Kleptobot posted:

What are you talking about? Those two were the changes that mattered the most. Because among the frills of this show, it was the only manly bits.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kleptobot posted:

Last episode is out. Apparently some internet denizens were freaked out at the slightly changed ending. Admittedly it did feel lamer than the manga version, but considering there probably won't be a S2 I'm okay with it.

I thought it ended pretty well and was overall a well done adaptation. I wish they had done a little more with the Kazane/Chronoire fight, since the music for it was cool and the other fights were pretty good, but I get that it wasn't really a focus in the original either. It's probably too much to hope for a second season, but I'd like to see one. The world is now a little less fancy and penguin-saturated.

Also between this and the manga, I'll be a little disappointed if Tanpopo does not end up being the big hero at the end of it.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Kleptobot posted:

Why wouldn't there be a season 2? I thought the Blu-rays were selling pretty well. Not fantastic, but it looked to me like it was head and shoulders above most of its peers lately. They didn't quite ding the "magic" 5000 number but they were close (~4500.)

Do I need to read the manga now, or is there a way to tell me what the anime version changed without spoiling a hypothetical season 2/the manga?

Conot posted:

Anime spoilers Tanpopo is not a cat

She's not? When was that revealed?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I don't think the anime changed much of anything. The manga is also only a few chapters past the anime ending.

candiro
Aug 7, 2009

Zogundar posted:

She's not? When was that revealed?
I'm pretty sure that was just used as an example of "keep the manga and anime spoilers separate."

Patiently waiting for Chapter 35 to come out, all while trying to figure out where I can preorder the artbook and the US release of the first volume

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

candiro posted:

Patiently waiting for Chapter 35 to come out, all while trying to figure out where I can preorder the artbook and the US release of the first volume
Well, here you go.

And this thing as well:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tanpopo remains the best character. And it still amuses me how nobody bats an eye at people with animal ears including an alligator girl, and yet magic still has to be hidden from people.

Edit: Weekend's excitement about blowing herself up is also pretty great. I guess when you love bombs that much...

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 14, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Weird visual gags and quirky behavior are like half the appeal here anyway, so I'm surprised there weren't any omakes earlier. The other half is obviously the fancy magic effects.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
We're back.

Tanpopo is still Tanpopo so we're still good but I think the author needs to cool it on the little sister jokes.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Somehow along the way, Tanpopo has become the sanest character in the series. It's beautiful :allears:

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 9, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

Somehow along the way, Tanpopo has become the sanest character in the series. It's beautiful :allears:

Tanpopo has rapidly become the best character. Chronoir needs to start showing up again to reclaim her title.

Also this chapter teaches us something valuable:

Ayaka is the cop from Zai x10.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://bato.to/read/_/277073/witch-craft-works_v8_ch38_by_anonymous/1

Oh well, I guess Takamiya is doomed. There is no escape from the crazy ladies.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's kind of how like in Truthism you have the tagline "...where all the girls are cute + dumb", except here it's "cute + dumb + psychotic".

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Maybe he can get a bulk-discount on restraining orders...

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Serious Frolicking posted:

http://bato.to/read/_/277073/witch-craft-works_v8_ch38_by_anonymous/1

Oh well, I guess Takamiya is doomed. There is no escape from the crazy ladies.

Witches be crazy, yo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

When did it happen that Tanpopo became the safest, most normal, and most stable girl around Takamiya?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

When I saw the secret room with all the pictures of Takaymiya, I just wondered if the mangaka simply took images from a bunch of his old chapters and copied and pasted them. In fact, the actual spit-take and the picture of the spit-take are pretty much the same angle.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Dan7el posted:

When I saw the secret room with all the pictures of Takaymiya, I just wondered if the mangaka simply took images from a bunch of his old chapters and copied and pasted them. In fact, the actual spit-take and the picture of the spit-take are pretty much the same angle.

Would that mean that in story Ayaka has a witch photographer hidden in the background to take photos of Honoka? Because that sounds strangely plausible given how loco these gals are.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I remember reading the first few chapters of this a long time ago and thinking it was just a worksafe version of My Balls so I dropped it, but ya'll suckered me into it and I now I'm hooked. Nate's comparison to Jitsu Wa is pretty spot on, it's kind of like if that were a really pretty (has this author done anything else because seriously that art) action series.

Random impressions:
-I really like the idea that Touko is just on call for literally anything up to and including hourly brainwashing.
-I have to wonder how the Tower 5 ended up working for team evil to start with, they're really terrible at it.
-I wonder what power source the Tower witches use. It must be something totally different if Workshop witches entirely shut down when the Chairman runs out of power but even the utterly poo poo tier tower witches like Tanpopo can keep using magic. Maybe there literally is one tower out there somewhere that they're all contracted to? They're all supposed to be largely independent of one another though so who knows really.
-I like that Weekend's mooks are all actually just fangirls of her.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 12, 2014

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Went through the anime recently and then caught up on the manga. Quite the ride, but now i want more KMM gang hijinks.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I recently got the English Volume one. It's a smaller book, and on kinda thin paper which is a bit worrisome but other than that it looks pretty nice and the translation doesn't seem terrible. It does have some explanation about how people's powers work which is nice, since it seems somewhat random throughout the series. Don't know if it's something from the author or if it just the translator making poo poo up.

If it is an extra from the author I wonder if there is more translated and lurking around somewhere.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
OVA came out recently! It's an adaptation of chapters 29 and 32 and part of 31 with a little bit of a new portion popped in.
As a reminder, this basically equates to Kasumi and Tanpopo teaming up and scheming with the Star Gang, Kasumi fighting the giant penguin, and a bit of Kasumi and Tanuma hanging out.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Don't know if it's something from the author or if it just the translator making poo poo up.

If it is an extra from the author I wonder if there is more translated and lurking around somewhere.

For those curious, yes, it was the author's own notes translated, confirmed by when other people on the internet translated similar notes from the original Japanese. So at least we know now some of the rumors (Honoka originally being a girl, Tanpopo's "Crisis" name, etc.) were not just trolling.

Also, drat the manga's pace has slowed to a crawl. The author's been teasing everyone with a reveal about Honoka's past and where his mom/Ayaka got their similar-looking scars, but rather than have anyone explain it we get a couple flashbacks and then Ayaka just kinda stormed off in a huff. For a monthly comic it's even worse because less than a week has passed in-universe over a year's worth of comics, and all we know is that a younger Honoka trained with Ayaka and her mom and the intimidating witch with no irises knew them both at some point in the past.

At least the OVA provided a tag-team animal-themed magical-mech wrestling match. That was fun to watch.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Kleptobot posted:

For those curious, yes, it was the author's own notes translated, confirmed by when other people on the internet translated similar notes from the original Japanese. So at least we know now some of the rumors (Honoka originally being a girl, Tanpopo's "Crisis" name, etc.) were not just trolling.

Also, drat the manga's pace has slowed to a crawl. The author's been teasing everyone with a reveal about Honoka's past and where his mom/Ayaka got their similar-looking scars, but rather than have anyone explain it we get a couple flashbacks and then Ayaka just kinda stormed off in a huff. For a monthly comic it's even worse because less than a week has passed in-universe over a year's worth of comics, and all we know is that a younger Honoka trained with Ayaka and her mom and the intimidating witch with no irises knew them both at some point in the past.

At least the OVA provided a tag-team animal-themed magical-mech wrestling match. That was fun to watch.

I saw some of the notes translated here: http://pastebin.com/RTGSqtBb
I could've sworn this was posted earlier in the thread, but I either searched too fast the other day or just couldn't find it here.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Is there going to be another season? If so when? Or is it going to be like Claymore where the anime ends after the first plot arc, but the manga continues.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 15, 2015

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Based on the material in the manga that's come out, I wouldn't expect a second season any time soon. :(
There's been a fair bit of material that one might consider filler-like, and not enough in the "climactic actiony events" department.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't remember if a chapter or two was skipped in this thread, but anyway there was a big 'ol plot dump in the latest chapter.

Is Kazane saying she conceived Ayaka only because Honoka needed a "childhood friend character" to keep him in check? Witches are weird. E: Actually I think that was Natsume's mother who was talking. Still applies of course.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
This is "Stalker Files: The Manga" and that surprises you?

• Locked thread