Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

BurtLington posted:

I've decided to see the world a little before I commit myself to working long hours for the rest of my career and always liked the look of Canada. Bit about me - I'm 24, from the UK and a VFX Artist for film. There's quite a big film industry out in Canada, especially in Montreal which is why I've chosen it.

As it stands, I've applied for my working holiday visa and should get it within a few weeks. I will possibly have a job offer for when I go out there at a VFX house but nothing set in stone. Either way, I'd like to head out there by summer with or without a job offer.

I think I'll be fine I do get the job offer - it doesn't require me to speak French to people as it's basically just working in an office with people from all over the world. But am I screwed if I can't speak French? I've heard Montreal is very bilingual but they don't like employing people for bar work unless they can speak French as well, and bar work is something I'll have to do if I don't get a VFX job straight away. I'm considering learning as much as I can now, but not sure where to start as French Canadian is apparently quite different to original French.

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

As an analogy: Canadian French is to French French as Canadian English is to English English.

No idea about the rest. No you're not screwed if you don't speak French as far as getting around and doing stuff in Montreal goes, but it's moderately likely it will hurt you as far as getting a poo poo job goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread