Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

I've decided to see the world a little before I commit myself to working long hours for the rest of my career and always liked the look of Canada. Bit about me - I'm 24, from the UK and a VFX Artist for film. There's quite a big film industry out in Canada, especially in Montreal which is why I've chosen it.

As it stands, I've applied for my working holiday visa and should get it within a few weeks. I will possibly have a job offer for when I go out there at a VFX house but nothing set in stone. Either way, I'd like to head out there by summer with or without a job offer.

I think I'll be fine I do get the job offer - it doesn't require me to speak French to people as it's basically just working in an office with people from all over the world. But am I screwed if I can't speak French? I've heard Montreal is very bilingual but they don't like employing people for bar work unless they can speak French as well, and bar work is something I'll have to do if I don't get a VFX job straight away. I'm considering learning as much as I can now, but not sure where to start as French Canadian is apparently quite different to original French.

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Cool cheers guys. Time to learn some French then!

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Frost000 posted:

If for whatever reason you'll need to get a job in retail/service (even bar tending), knowing French will be a huge asset. You might be able to get by with a job in a more English-speaking area such as Westmount, but you're severely limiting your options. I had a friend from Vancouver who came to spend a year and she found it next to impossible to find work, until she got a job in a TV office (for English productions).

As for VFX work, do you have any company leads? I have a friend who does a lot of freelance VFX work to help him pay some bills while he isn't directing music videos and whatnot. I can look into things with him if you want and whatnot, since he seems to know all of the good artists at the bigger VFX houses on a first name basis.

That would be great - I was at one of the big VFX houses in London who have an office in Montreal. They might have a position for me but I'm still waiting to hear from them. I'd definitely like to try and get straight back in to VFX when I'm over there so anything you can do would be very much appreciated.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Thanks all, you've been very helpful.

How is the public transport in Montreal? I've got a full UK driving license but would rather not have to invest in a car.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Booked my flights - heading there on 15th April. Sorted my insurance and bank account. Just worried about finding an apartment now!

• Locked thread