Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Just put out version 0.7.5. The main goal was to make the combat balance and equipment progression more satisfying. We moved to a flat damage system instead of a percentage damage system that I think feels a lot better. The balance side probably still needs a lot of work, but we made a lot of back-end changes that give us much more control over the balance, doing stuff like giving arrows/bullets individual armor piercing values. Let us know how the game feels, I'm sure we have a lot of blind spots so we definitely need a bunch of feedback on the changes.

Update 0.7.5
The primary goal with this update was to change the combat balance and armor/weapon progression to be more satisfying across the length of the game. This update is light on the new content because we're still working on the next major content update, but we figured we should go ahead and put out the balance changes in the meantime.

Previously, armor provided percentage damage reduction, which meant early armor sets protected very little, the high level armor sets ended up providing far too much protection, and going from one tier to the next didn't feel very satisfying because gaining a few percentage points of defense at a time is really boring. The new system uses flat damage reduction, so if you pick up a helmet that has a defense of 3 it will just prevent 3 damage, which might not seem like a big change but it allows us to make the progression much more satisfying and each new tier of armor or weapons should feel like more of an upgrade. There is a cap on the defense though, and you will always take at least 25% of the damage that is dealt to you. These changes required tweaking the balance of pretty much everything in the game. Most creatures have more health, most weapons do more damage, and we've changed the way armor piercing works so that individual weapons can have specific armor piercing values.

We've done a significant amount of testing, but with all the combinations of creatures and weapons we have I'm sure there will still be some balance issues, so let us know what you think. We're definitely not done tweaking the combat balance, but we decided now was a good time to start making some big steps towards a better system.

Balance Changes
  • Changed armor calculations to use flat damage reduction instead of percent damage reduction
  • Shields no longer add to encumbrance
  • Encumbrance values tweaked across the board
  • Encumbrance can now slow your melee attack speed if it is high enough
  • Projectiles now have individual armor piercing values
  • The weird pink eyeball creatures can now only spawn spikes on appropriate block types. Also reduced their initial spawn rate.
  • Sulfur gas now does its own damage type, we'll probably make a gas mask or something soon
  • Tesla gun does more damage but uses more energy
  • Base energy regen rate has been doubled
  • Reduced energy regen rate bonus on the Jewel sets
  • Increased damage of most projectiles
  • Increased health of most creatures
  • Increased armor on many creatures
  • Fists now do more damage with better gloves
  • Kicking now does more damage with better boots
  • Increased rocket/grenade explosion range
  • Reduced the spawn rate of creatures
  • Spears no longer prevent you from moving while attacking
  • Increased the amount of sand that generates on the surface of planets

Gameplay Changes
  • Changed quick slots to use Z/X instead of Q/E by default, and changed the default dodge behavior so that Q/E make you dodge left/right.
  • Reduced knockdown received from creature
  • Spiked wall creature updated, it is now much easier to damage in the soft spot and much harder to hurt it from the back
  • Fruits can no longer spawn quite as close together
  • During world generation, the area between the mining base and Pioneer Station have been cleaned up a bit. This means fewer spikes, etc.
  • Deposits should now only generate on flat ground
  • Added some grass golems to the far side of the planet during world generation
  • Toilets can now be opened
  • Tweaked some bits of the Pioneer Station and Mining Base. Nothing major, but we're working on fleshing them out a little bit at a time.
  • Renamed Rifle Ammo to 5.56 Ammo
  • You can now click quick slots in order to select them while the inventory menu is closed.
  • Sheared sheep now drop 1 piece of wool when sheared post-mortem instead of 0.
  • Slightly reduced the drop rates of sticks/logs when breaking trees

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed some cases where certain energy bonuses wouldn't stack. Let us know if you see more.
  • Fixed some graphical issue with the spike blocks
  • Fixed a crash related to fireballs
  • Fixed a bug with fall damage calculation related to using multiple fall damage reduction items
  • Movement buttons no longer get stuck on if you were holding them while clicking in the search box of the crafting window
  • AGIS message received when you equip the entire prototype mining suit now only appears once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Lucid Dream posted:

[*]Toilets can now be opened

Doin' god's work, buddy. Thanks!

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Some stuff we're working on for the next content update:

Traps:

Tall grass

Reworked flyer javelin.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lucid Dream posted:

Traps:

Tall grass

Reworked flyer javelin.

Does the trap door come in both "Safe for player" and "Unsafe for player" options?

Well, I could make the safe one. But the unsafe one costs half as much! I'm sure I'll always be smart enough to not-*crunch*

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Section Z posted:

Does the trap door come in both "Safe for player" and "Unsafe for player" options?

Well, I could make the safe one. But the unsafe one costs half as much! I'm sure I'll always be smart enough to not-*crunch*

Right now you can crouch walk over them safely but I could also see a higher tech version that ignores players or something down the line.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lucid Dream posted:

Traps:

Tall grass

Reworked flyer javelin.
That's a spiffy javelin.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
We're hard at work on the next content update, one of the things we're adding is multiplayer chess, because why not.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

That's really cool, and those are some very nice chess pieces. But is there an option to angrily flip the table over because your opponent's a cheating bastard?

Also, stupid question, but how are you getting the pseudo 3d look? I'm guessing they're all just sprites with very well-done perspective, and the pieces scale appropriately as they move toward the "back" of the board?

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Cicadas! posted:

That's really cool, and those are some very nice chess pieces. But is there an option to angrily flip the table over because your opponent's a cheating bastard?
The plan is to let you kick the board and spew the items all over, also explosions will do the same =D

Cicadas! posted:

Also, stupid question, but how are you getting the pseudo 3d look? I'm guessing they're all just sprites with very well-done perspective, and the pieces scale appropriately as they move toward the "back" of the board?
That's exactly how we're doing it. I believe Hayes made 3d models for the pieces and then used them as a reference to draw the sprites, and then yeah the sprites scale from 1 to .7 depending on the Y position on the board, and we sort the draw order so that objects higher up draw first. The super convenient part (and the only reason we even bothered) is that because of our gridless inventory, we didn't really have to make a whole lot of changes to make it work, its even networked properly, because its really just a container like any other with items on it.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 22, 2016

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Lucid Dream posted:

The plan is to let you kick the board and spew the items all over, also explosions will do the same =D

Excellent. More video games need the option of poor sportsmanship.

Lucid Dream posted:

That's exactly how we're doing it. I believe Hayes made 3d models for the pieces and then used them as a reference to draw the sprites, and then yeah the sprites scale from 1 to .7 depending on the Y position on the board, and we sort the draw order so that objects higher up draw first. The super convenient part (and the only reason we even bothered) is that because of our gridless inventory, we didn't really have to much a whole lot of changes to make it work, its even networked properly, because its really just a container like any other with items on it.

That's quite clever, well done. Because it's just a fancy container and nothing mechanical is happening behind the scenes, anything that happens during a game is entirely player driven, which is something I'm really fond of in games. Mostly because I love cheating, but it's always nice to see something free-form like this. Thinking about it, you could probably re-use this system for other simple, player-driven games without having to change much. Have you thought about a deck of cards or card table? I feel like poker could be really interesting, with no mechanical restrictions on shady play and the ability to add to a prize pot that's just stuff you tossed from your inventory onto the table. Not sure how you'd handle the actual card stack or shuffling, though.

Every time this thread updates I'm always impressed with how far it's come since the first few gifs I saw in... I think it was one of the early Terraria threads? I don't think I've ever seen a game sell itself so well through gifs alone.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 22, 2016

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Cicadas! posted:

Excellent. More video games need the option of poor sportsmanship.
http://i.imgur.com/EwW2wHi.mp4

Cicadas! posted:

Thinking about it, you could probably re-use this system for other simple, player-driven games without having to change much. Have you thought about a deck of cards or card table? I feel like poker could be really interesting, with no mechanical restrictions on shady play and the ability to add to a prize pot that's just stuff you tossed from your inventory onto the table. Not sure how you'd handle the actual card stack or shuffling, though.
Yeah, we're planning on starting with Chess, Checkers and Go because they are all fairly simple, but a card game would be pretty rad, although yeah there would be a lot of weird problems to solve like shuffling and doing hands that the other player couldn't see without letting you just cheat super easy.

Cicadas! posted:

Every time this thread updates I'm always impressed with how far it's come since the first few gifs I saw in... I think it was one of the early Terraria threads? I don't think I've ever seen a game sell itself so well through gifs alone.
Awesome, that means a lot =) Some day in the far flung future of 20XX when we finish this thing we'll have to figure out how to actually use those gifs for proper marketing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Every time this thread updates I get sadder and angrier about my current "between computers" status :smith:

Cicadas! posted:

anything that happens during a game is entirely player driven, which is something I'm really fond of in games. Mostly because I love cheating, but it's always nice to see something free-form like this.
Check out tabletop simulator. It even has a table flip option!

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Splicer posted:

Every time this thread updates I get sadder and angrier about my current "between computers" status :smith:
Don't worry, the longer you wait the better the game will be when you get to it =D

Splicer posted:

Check out tabletop simulator. It even has a table flip option!
Heck yeah, tabletop simulator is great for that kind of thing. Tabletop simulator is probably the most incredible VR thing I've done so far too, its so amazingly rad to be able to pick up the pieces and move them around almost like you would in real life.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Here is a creature we're working on for the next content update:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lucid Dream posted:

I can just see your AI's reaction. "He's just like you! Which is why you're going to HATE him!... Hey, do you hate yourself?"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
They seem to be related to the little ground dudes that drop hide. I will treat these apparently sentient natives with respect and courtesy and not make them into rapidly obsoleted armour.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I don't know if I'm going to hate these guys for stealing my poo poo or feel really bad about killing them because goddamn they're adorable.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Lucid Dream posted:

That guy is very robust.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Gobblecoque posted:

I don't know if I'm going to hate these guys for stealing my poo poo or feel really bad about killing them because goddamn they're adorable.

Fantastic, that is exactly what we're going for =D

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
We decided to put out a small Halloween update, here are the details:

New Content
  • Ghost creature

• Ghost Hide armor set
    • Ghost Hide Helmet
    • Ghost Hide Torso
    • Ghost Hide Leggings
    • Ghost Hide Gloves
    • Ghost Hide Boots
    • Ghost Hide Arms
  • Ghost Blade
  • Soul Vessel
  • Another creature
  • Pumpkin Bushes and Pumpkins

• Pumpkin Berry
    • Small Pumpkin
    • Medium Pumpkins
    • Large Pumpkin
    • Very Large Pumpkin
    • Pumpkin Seeds for growing Pumpkin Bushes
    • Edible Pumpkin Rind
  • Various Halloweeny masks

• Pumpkin Mask
    • Jack O' Lantern Mask
    • Halloween Hood
    • Hockey Mask
  • New crafting materials
    • Ghost Hide
    • Ghost Claw

Item Changes
  • We changed the Flying Javelin to a Flying Harpoon, which fires darts with the alternate fire. This is unrelated to Halloween.

New Recipes
  • Ghost Hide Armor
    • Ghost Hide Helmet - 2x Ghost Hide, 1x Leather Strap
    • Ghost Hide Torso - 5x Ghost Hide, 3x Leather Straps, 2x Ghost Claws
    • Ghost Hide Arms - 3x Ghost Hide, 2x Leather Straps, 1x Ghost Claw
    • Ghost Hide Gloves - 2x Ghost Hide, 2x Leather Straps
    • Ghost Hide Leggings - 4x Ghost Hide, 4x Leather Straps, 1x Ghost Claw
    • Ghost Hide Boots - 2x Ghost Hide, 2x Leather Straps
  • Ghost Blade - 2x Ghost Claw, 4x Iron Ingots, 1x Ghost Hide
  • Halloween Masks
    • Pumpkin Mask - 1x Medium Pumpkin
    • Jack O' Lantern Mask - 1x Medium Pumpkin and Something Sharp
    • Halloween Hood - 2x Ghost Hide and Scissors
    • Hockey Mask - 3x Plastic, 2x Leather Straps
  • Flying Dart (5) - 5x Laminous Wings, 5x Sticks, 1x Bone

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed some crashes related to being too high up in the map
  • Fixed some issues with breaking deposits
  • Misc other things

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
FYI, game is on sale for 35% off during the Steam sale.

We're nearly done with a nice content update that will be out in a few weeks, it'll add several new creatures, some new gadgets and traps and a new boss. We're also finally adding these little assholes to the game:

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Those pieces need to spray all over, but otherwise everything here is awesome. Keep gifing.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Hey folks, we put out a new update today (version 0.8) that changes the engine that Signs of Life runs on and adds a few quality of life improvements as well as a sweet new grappling laser function for your wrist device. We changed the engine that the game runs on from XNA to MonoGame because XNA has been abandoned by Microsoft for awhile now, and MonoGame fixes a lot of issues that we had with XNA as well as lets us support platforms other than Windows. That said, If we did our jobs right you probably won't notice much of a change right now. The performance seems a bit better for us on our machines and it fixes some crash bugs that we were unable to fix with XNA, but really this update is about opening the door for more stuff down the line and making sure the game is as future-proof as possible. While the new version fixes some things, I'm sure there will be some new problems as well, so let us know what issues you run into.

New Features
  • Added Linux OS support
  • Added support for resolutions higher than 2048x2048 (tested up to 4k)
  • Added Grapple Laser function to the MEG tool. Activated by holding and releasing C by default and uses energy to stick you to walls and ceilings. You can press S by default to release the grapple. The grapple laser is still a bit of a work in progress, but we figured it was too useful to hold back until we get it just right. Expect some changes to this over time.

• Emeralds - Can be inserted into the MEG tool in order to increase the efficiency of the grapple laser
  • Added an option for the minimap that lets you use a UI popup instead of the projected minimap. The option is in the settings menu, and the popup is opened with the minimap key and can then be docked wherever you'd like on your screen.

• Reworked start screen menus to be easier to use and work better on all resolutions

Known Issues
  • The new version of the game requires at least Windows 7 and an OpenGL 3.0 compatible graphics device. We believe that the vast majority of players should still be able to play, but there will be some players who will be unable to play the new version even if they were able to play old versions. We're still investigating what we can do to lower the requirements further, so if you are unable to play the game after this update please email your system information (OS version and graphics device) to playsignsoflife@gmail.com. We've put up the previous version as a beta option (xna_version_0.7.6.6) which you should still be able to play, but that version will not get future fixes or new content.
  • Occasionally, certain sounds will play louder than they should. We fixed most of the instances of this, but let us know if/when you notice it.

Gameplay Changes
  • Increased the width of all map sizes by about 50%, we'll increase it even further after we spend some time optimizing the world generation speed.
  • Tweaked some parts of the bases on the world to make them a bit more interesting
  • Increased the player's base jump height slightly
  • Reduced the damage of the infected sheep from 25 per hit to 10
  • Made cooked food give you more fullness

This update doesn't add a lot of new content, but that is somewhat intentional. We've actually been working on two updates at the same time, and we wanted to get this version of the game out to players as soon as possible so we can get to fixing the issues that crop up with the engine change first. The next update should be ready in a few weeks, and will add all that new content I've been posting gifs about over the last couple months.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Hell yeah nice update. Glad you're still working on this.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Whatever tweaks or balancing happens to it, please keep some sick ups on the grapple beam.

Rubber banding yourself upwards is fun and practical. "Balancing" grappling hooks into limp strings is depressing. Also make sure it will always catch onto surfaces, rather than arbitrarily decide not to stick because "I don't know, maybe you were moving too fast? Why would you expect a grappling hook gun to stop you from falling anyways?" ("Fun is OP, it has been removed"" change number 19 trillion from Starbound).

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Section Z posted:

Whatever tweaks or balancing happens to it, please keep some sick ups on the grapple beam.

Rubber banding yourself upwards is fun and practical. "Balancing" grappling hooks into limp strings is depressing. Also make sure it will always catch onto surfaces, rather than arbitrarily decide not to stick because "I don't know, maybe you were moving too fast? Why would you expect a grappling hook gun to stop you from falling anyways?" ("Fun is OP, it has been removed"" change number 19 trillion from Starbound).

We're very pro fun here at Sweet Dog Studios, so no worries there. Right now it has unlimited range and I intended to limit that to your grab range (the range that gets modified by adding sapphires to your wrist gadget) but aside from that I think we'll probably only end up adding functionality like the ability to let out some slack and dangle if you want.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 8, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So humble has this 40% off, if you were curious but holding off until it was $6 to try out.

It's still a work in progress, but the dev clearly is paying attention to trying to make things enjoyable between your embarrassing and painful deaths.

Lucid Dream posted:

We're very pro fun here at Sweet Dog Studios, so no worries there. Right now it has unlimited range and I intended to limit that to your grab range (the range that gets modified by adding sapphires to your wrist gadget) but aside from that I think we'll probably only end up adding functionality like the ability to let out some slack and dangle if you want.

:unsmith:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Hey Lucid Dream any idea when the next update will drop? I know the last one added a couple things and in particular had the engine changes but I thought I remember you saying that there was another update coming that had a buncha poo poo in it. Am I retarded and if not when do you think it'll come? My friend and I love playing SoL and have spent tons of time down beneath the surface digging and killing poo poo and just being jerks to each other and the local flora/fauna.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Honky Dong Country posted:

Hey Lucid Dream any idea when the next update will drop? I know the last one added a couple things and in particular had the engine changes but I thought I remember you saying that there was another update coming that had a buncha poo poo in it. Am I retarded and if not when do you think it'll come? My friend and I love playing SoL and have spent tons of time down beneath the surface digging and killing poo poo and just being jerks to each other and the local flora/fauna.

Hey, glad you're enjoying the game. I'm not sure when the update will be ready exactly, but we're mostly done with the content so I can't imagine it will take dramatically longer. My guess is more than a couple weeks but less than a month. Have you run into any multiplayer issues? I don't really end up playing in multiplayer much, so I'm always interested in hearing what issues there still are lingering around.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lucid Dream posted:

Hey, glad you're enjoying the game. I'm not sure when the update will be ready exactly, but we're mostly done with the content so I can't imagine it will take dramatically longer. My guess is more than a couple weeks but less than a month. Have you run into any multiplayer issues? I don't really end up playing in multiplayer much, so I'm always interested in hearing what issues there still are lingering around.

Not really. The biggest problem I ever have with multiplayer is just having piss-poor internet!

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Not really. The biggest problem I ever have with multiplayer is just having piss-poor internet!

What parts of the gameplay get particularly lovely with a bad connection?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lucid Dream posted:

What parts of the gameplay get particularly lovely with a bad connection?

Oh that's not what I mean. I mean the ongoing struggle with an internet connection so lovely that it outright crashes about once an hour no matter what you're doing. I live in the godamn sticks and something's wrong with the line outside the house and it's a nightmare getting them to fix it.

But when things are good I've never noticed any serious lag or slowdowns or anything. Honestly when it comes to MP the only suggestion I have is adding more ways of the players loving with each other. I had a good laugh with the flaming bags of poop and the ability to fill your buddy's base up with blocks and stuff. MP is as good as the single since it has the same content, with the added bonuses of dividing up the labor (like mining and crafting and poo poo) and screwing with each other. More options to do the latter is always welcome.

E: for instance I'd love to be able to booby trap doors/containers with various things. Something that shocks the player or even an itching powder that makes the player scratch constantly for a minute. Or to rig a container with a buncha poop to explode out when opened. Maybe a spray canister of some foul smelling gas that'll make a dude puke. Even something as simple as being able to kick another player in the balls and run away would be funny as hell. Or a buncha whoopie cushions I could spread all over a floor or something. Or maybe a pheromone kind of thing that would cause creatures to swarm.

I'm basically a big disgusting idiot

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 1, 2017

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Oh that's not what I mean. I mean the ongoing struggle with an internet connection so lovely that it outright crashes about once an hour no matter what you're doing. I live in the godamn sticks and something's wrong with the line outside the house and it's a nightmare getting them to fix it.
Ah ok, got it.

But when things are good I've never noticed any serious lag or slowdowns or anything. Honestly when it comes to MP the only suggestion I have is adding more ways of the players loving with each other. I had a good laugh with the flaming bags of poop and the ability to fill your buddy's base up with blocks and stuff. MP is as good as the single since it has the same content, with the added bonuses of dividing up the labor (like mining and crafting and poo poo) and screwing with each other. More options to do the latter is always welcome.

E: for instance I'd love to be able to booby trap doors/containers with various things. Something that shocks the player or even an itching powder that makes the player scratch constantly for a minute. Or to rig a container with a buncha poop to explode out when opened. Maybe a spray canister of some foul smelling gas that'll make a dude puke. Even something as simple as being able to kick another player in the balls and run away would be funny as hell. Or a buncha whoopie cushions I could spread all over a floor or something. Or maybe a pheromone kind of thing that would cause creatures to swarm.

I love the way you think. We've got some fun ideas in that vein (poisoned food, traps, etc). FYI, I think that if you throw the yellow bulbs from the glowing ants at a player (you have to sorta suck the bulbs up as you kill the ants or they'll pop when they hit the ground usually) it will make the flyers attack them.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 1, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Once I dressed all in bone armour wielding a bone club and ran in from off screen swinging it at Mrs Splicer and she FREAKED THE gently caress OUT at this batshit new mob that was apparently trying to murder her.

e: Oh I forgot, I had the spike back thing on as well as the bone armour so when she hit me she nearly killed herself.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 1, 2017

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Splicer posted:

Once I dressed all in bone armour wielding a bone club and ran in from off screen swinging it at Mrs Splicer and she FREAKED THE gently caress OUT at this batshit new mob that was apparently trying to murder her.

e: Oh I forgot, I had the spike back thing on as well as the bone armour so when she hit me she nearly killed herself.

Ahaha awesome.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Oh, oh! New update. Dang I haven't picked this up in a while. Time for a new romp!

Really though, some of the best money I've spent on a game. Might have to get a few more copies for my kids and anyone else I know.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Arkitektbmw posted:

Oh, oh! New update. Dang I haven't picked this up in a while. Time for a new romp!
We put a beta update out, but its probably still a bit buggy and its missing a few bits of content here and there.

Arkitektbmw posted:

Really though, some of the best money I've spent on a game. Might have to get a few more copies for my kids and anyone else I know.
Awesome! It feels good knowing that folks are enjoying the game even in its unfinished state =)

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Hey folks, put out a new update today, version 0.9.

New Content
This update is intended to add some flavor to the world and make it feel a bit more lively. We’ve added several new creatures to the upper parts of the world, particularly on the surface of the far side of the planet as well as relatively shallow underground. We’ve also added some new areas to explore (and a new boss) that are related to the new creatures. You will need to generate a new world from the sandbox menu or create a new character to see much of the new content.

Here are a couple of the new creatures:

Story Content
In addition to the new creatures and related content, we added a bit of story content and changed some of the existing progression a bit. We added a new button on the Pioneer Station comm device (the device that requires the battery on the top floor) and there is a new satellite dish on top of the Pioneer station, but it seems to be missing a component…

We also changed the method of obtaining the Level 2 keycard upgrade - The upgrade device is now found in the captain’s room in the Pioneer Station barracks. This update is fairly light on the direct story content, but the next update should expand on the story and the mysteries of the planet quite a bit.

Food/Cooking Changes
We re-worked the cooking/food system quite a bit. Prior to this update only a handful of food items had buffs associated with them, but in this update we’ve added buff effects to most of the foods. All fruits, mushrooms and meats now have buffs that you can get by eating them. In previous versions, you’ve been able to cook food by using the crafting menu, but now cooking is done similar to how ore is processed. We’ve added pop-up menu when you right click the campfire, and you can both cook food and process ores in the same devices.

The campfire has just one slot for ingredients, but the brick oven and advanced smelter both have 2 slots, which allows you to combine some food items to create new recipes. For example, a Juicy Fruit will give you a heal over time and a sporepod mushroom will temporarily increase your max health. Both items will fill 1/4th of your stomach, but if you cook them together you can make a food item that will give you both buffs and still just fill 1/4th of your stomach. You can also cook a fruit with a plant fiber to make Fruit Chews, which give you longer lasting buffs that fill less of your stomach.

Other Content
Some of the new creatures can inflict a bleed status effect on you, so we added Primitive Bandages (can be made with plant fiber) and Cloth Bandages that can stop the bleeding status. In addition, you can add some medicinal herbs to the cloth bandage in order to make a Poultice Bandage that heals you.

New Cooking Recipes:

• Glazed Mushrooms - Any mushroom + any fruit
  • Glazed Meat - Any Meat + any fruit
  • Meat with Mushrooms - Any Meat + any mushroom
  • Fruit Chews - Cook any fruit + plant fiber
  • Gleaming Syrup - Ant Bulb/Ant Ichor/Ant Chitin + Sap
  • Bitter Jelly - Jiggly Fruit + Lovely Herb
  • Strange Compote - Strange Egg + Blue Fruit
  • Pulsing Paste - Strange Egg + Jiggly Fruit
  • Cooked Steal - Raw Choice Meat
  • Zesty Mash - Bana Fruit + Grey Mushroom

New Crafting Recipes:
  • Primitive Bandage - 4x Plant Fibers
  • Cloth Bandage - 1x Cotton Bolt/Wool Bolt/Linen Bolt/Scrap of Cloth (requires scissors)
  • Poultice Bandage - 1x Cloth Bandage + 1x Lovely Herb
  • Makeshift Shiv - 1x Makeshift Scrap + 1x Stick + 1x Plant Fiber
  • Makeshift Spear - 1x Makeshift Shiv + 1x Makeshift Scrap + 3x Stick + 1x Plant Fiber
  • Makeshift Blow Pipe - 3x Makeshift Scrap + 1x Wood Dowel + 2x Plant Fiber
  • Blow Dart (x6) - 1x Makeshift Scrap + 2x Bone
  • Tortoise Shell Brace - 6x Carapace + 1x Iron Ingot + 4x Wool Padding/Cotton Padding
  • Tortoise Hammer - 1x Mature Tortoise Gland + 4x Carapace + 2x Iron Ingots + 2x Logs
  • Makeshift Tribal Shield - 4x Makeshift Scrap + 3x Wool Padding/Cotton Padding + 2x
  • Leather Strap/Plated Hide Strap/Xenohide Strap
  • Iron Caltrops (x3) - 1x Iron Ingot
  • Fruit Seeds (x2) - 1x Any Fruit
  • Pumpkin Seeds (x2-x8) - 1x Pumpkin
  • Snare - 4x Makeshift Scrap
  • Sticks (x3) - 1x Log (requires saw)
  • Pumpkin Rind (x2-x6) - 1x Pumpkin

New Projects
All of these recipes are obtained by destroying matching projects that are in the world with your wrist laser.
  • Spike Trap - 6x Makeshift Scrap, 3x Logs, 3x Bones
  • Poison Trap - 6x Makeshift Scrap, 3x Logs, 8x Bones
  • Snare Trap - 6x Makeshift Scrap, 3x Logs, 3x Bones

[h1]Recipe Changes[/h1]
  • All gem upgrade recipes require 2 instead of 3 gems. We will probably eventually change this back once we have more sources for gems in the world.

New Status Effects
Most of these new status effects are currently attached to various food items.
  • Increased Jump Height
  • Light Aura - Generates light around the player
  • Increased Max Energy
  • Increased Max Health
  • Increased Melee Damage
  • Protection - Reduces damage from all sources
  • Resist bleed - reduces duration and severity of bleeding
  • Increased Strange Tablet Damage - Increases the damage of all abilities used through the Strange Tablet device
  • Reduced Strange Energy Requirement - Reduces required strange energy for Strange Tablet abilities
  • Improved Dodge - Dodge roll or backjump further than normal
  • Bleeding - Slow damage over time, which can be cured by using a bandage. Inflicted by blow darts.
  • Spore Poison & Vulnerability - Increases damage from all sources

Misc Fixes
  • Fixed some issues where certain sounds would play at full volume regardless of distance. Let us know if you notice any other sound fx that seem too loud.
  • Changed the projectile attack of the golems. Instead of throwing rocks, they now use some kind of sufficiently advanced technology to levitate materials out of the ground and fling them at players

• Fixed some issues that would cause certain tooltips to not appear when they should.

Known Issues:
  • The world generator may get stuck while generating worlds. We think we've fixed all the cases where this can happen, but we can't be completely sure that there are no more lingering issues. If you run into this issue, definitely let us know.

let us know if you run into any issues and we'll fix them ASAP

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
Played a good few hours MP today. Had only really picked at the game in the past but it really grabbed us this time. The world feels a lot more fleshed out. Would love to know if it is possible to setup dedicate servers yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Armitage_Shanks posted:

Played a good few hours MP today. Had only really picked at the game in the past but it really grabbed us this time. The world feels a lot more fleshed out. Would love to know if it is possible to setup dedicate servers yet?

Glad you're enjoying it! We haven't really looked into dedicated servers yet, but its something I've been meaning to at least investigate sometime soon.

• Locked thread