Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RunFish
Sep 15, 2007
So I’ll keep this to the point as I can. My father has been a camera technician for the last 35 years. Even had a shop for 25 of those here in Vegas. He has moved online because a store front is no longer a viable option. He now sells equipment in other fields because people are not seeking camera repair like they were in the 70s and 80s. He still has a very large collection of repair parts for everything from Minox to Linhof.

Over the years I’ve asked him to teach me all the repairs that he knows, but he thinks it would be a waste of time because you can’t make money from repairs like in the old days. The customers are just not there for it.

It pains me a little to think that such knowledge would be lost when people his age die and take it with them. Its hard to find a good camera tech from the 70s who would share how to repair something. (They are out there!)

This brings me to my idea that I’ve shared with my father and he would be very much on board. A visual catalog of repair information on YouTube. Having a little background in videography (produced a few infomercials) I would film and edit tutorials of my father doing and explaining basic repairs. I’m not talking him sitting there at his workbench saying “Hi YouTube my name is Mr.xx sorry I’ve not posted etc..” I’m talking detailed and knowledgeable technical information.

So now for the reason I have come to the community with this story. What would you want to see? I have a small list of a few things that are common issues for basic repairs among the 35mm world. I want to start simple. What are some issues that you guys have? We don’t care what it is. No matter how small you think it is. The idea behind our little project is build a database of information for people to use to fix their equipment. This could be for anytime of still photography camera (not limited to 35mm!)

I would love to hear some ideas. Issues you are having? Even better!

UPDATE 2/2/2014

I have setup a Youtube Channel for our project. RRCamera. We are still trying to figure out the best way to present this information so it will be sometime before we can flood it with videos. Right now we just have one up and are working on the other real soon. Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/RRCamera

XA Rangefinder Adjustment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGUIYMCgdjk

Rewind Knob Replacement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tJyM_xtVIk

RunFish fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

gently caress yes this would be amazing.

Eastiest, most generic fix I can think of would be repairing foam seals on something, or maybe cleaning battery terminals that have been leaked on.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

RunFish posted:

I would love to hear some ideas. Issues you are having? Even better!

Jesus christ this is an awesome idea, enjoy a sticky.

Also stuff like diagnosing common lens issues like hosed up oil on the aperture blades, fungus, coating marks, and what that means, etc.

I imagine some tips and tricks about adapting/replacing old moon batteries would be good too.

RunFish
Sep 15, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

Jesus christ this is an awesome idea, enjoy a sticky.

Also stuff like diagnosing common lens issues like hosed up oil on the aperture blades, fungus, coating marks, and what that means, etc.

I imagine some tips and tricks about adapting/replacing old moon batteries would be good too.

No a bad idea at all. My father has a process for even cleaning lens blades but it takes hours and its hard to get him to do (I've had him do it a few times for me). As far as diagnosing and explaining that's a good idea.

I'm getting some stuff together right now to head over there and film. First we are going to start with how to open film doors after the rewind post has fallen into the body (Happens when the rewind nob comes off). And how to fix "The Canon Squeak".

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

RunFish posted:

No a bad idea at all. My father has a process for even cleaning lens blades but it takes hours and its hard to get him to do (I've had him do it a few times for me). As far as diagnosing and explaining that's a good idea.

I'm getting some stuff together right now to head over there and film. First we are going to start with how to open film doors after the rewind post has fallen into the body (Happens when the rewind nob comes off). And how to fix "The Canon Squeak".

This is an awesome thread!

Not to derail but do you guys have a bunch of parts for Polaroids?

RunFish
Sep 15, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

This is an awesome thread!

Not to derail but do you guys have a bunch of parts for Polaroids?

What are you looking for?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

RunFish posted:

What are you looking for?

Can you email me? natebolin AT gmail

RunFish
Sep 15, 2007
We filmed the first one today. I started editing it. Should be ready tomorrow night or the next day.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Awesome stuff. Does he know MF repair?

RunFish
Sep 15, 2007

Santa is strapped posted:

Awesome stuff. Does he know MF repair?

MF as in? Sorry I'm not up on the lingo like he is. Just let me know and I would be happy to ask.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Medium format cameras (and large format as well since the format is going up)

RunFish
Sep 15, 2007

Medium format cameras (and large format as well since the format is going up)

OH! I've never seen it MF before. I shoot large format a lot. Yup he sure does. What issues are you having or what parts do you need? If its common stuff I'll add it to the list. At some point I would like to do one on Rollei shutters.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Specifically for problems - my hasselblad 80mm 2.8 T* takes considerable effort to focus - my Bronica's lens is tons easier to focus. I wonder how easy it would be to lube that poo poo up (it looks hard to dismantle)

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

RunFish posted:

We filmed the first one today. I started editing it. Should be ready tomorrow night or the next day.

Christ, they don't waste any space in that prism hump, do they.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
This is a cool thread idea. If you're taking requests, I'd love a walkthrough on realigning the rangefinder in an Olympus XA. I've done it before but it's a pain to refind the various online websites every time.

I've also always wanted a how-to video for remetering the XA to under expose by a stop - essentially shifting the ASA range from 25-800 to 50-1600. The ASA dial only goes to 800 so there is no way to push 400 speed film to 1600 being that it only has aperture priority. I think I remember Pompous Rhombus saying he had this done on his. Basically this.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
It's really fantastic you're doing this!

My request would be how to CLA (clean, lube and adjust) a Fuji GW690, if your Dad is familiar with them.

RunFish
Sep 15, 2007

Specifically for problems - my hasselblad 80mm 2.8 T* takes considerable effort to focus - my Bronica's lens is tons easier to focus. I wonder how easy it would be to lube that poo poo up (it looks hard to dismantle)

What has happened (As I'm sure you could guess) is the grease on the focusing helix has dried up. Its not really a repair that he feels he could give a how to on because of its complexity. First the lens helix has to be disassembled and soaked. After that the lens has to be re-greased. I've got a Leica 28mm that has suffered the same fate. Stupid idea that you may have seen before.. turn it A LOT. It seems to help with some of mine that are in that same boat.

Spedman posted:

It's really fantastic you're doing this!

My request would be how to CLA (clean, lube and adjust) a Fuji GW690, if your Dad is familiar with them.

I'll ask!

Saint Fu posted:

This is a cool thread idea. If you're taking requests, I'd love a walkthrough on realigning the rangefinder in an Olympus XA. I've done it before but it's a pain to refind the various online websites every time.

I've also always wanted a how-to video for remetering the XA to under expose by a stop - essentially shifting the ASA range from 25-800 to 50-1600. The ASA dial only goes to 800 so there is no way to push 400 speed film to 1600 being that it only has aperture priority. I think I remember Pompous Rhombus saying he had this done on his. Basically this.

Great idea! I'll look at some of the XA repair books we have and get back to you.

SoundMonkey posted:

You should see what its like on some of the more compact SLRs. That's a Nikon F body, but on the OM stuff all the workings are under a little hatch at the bottom of the mirror box.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Any information on Pentax 67s or large format shutters (Copal) would be really appreciated!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This is the best idea for a thread Dorkroom has had in months.

Echoing SoundMonkey's request for tips on how to deal with/replace old batteries.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've got a couple of old manual-focus lenses (mid-80's vintage) that have troubles. I know the basic idea is pretty straightforward - undo screws & catch flying springs until you find the problem - but a simple demonstration of lens anatomy would be great. I've seen many, many diagrams of lens formulas, showing elements, their shapes, etc, but things like how turning the focus ring moves (one? more than one?) glass lenses forward and backward is a mystery to me.

And nth-ing the enthusiasm - this is a fantastic thread.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

No they don't, this is inside a Pentax ME.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
CLA for common older MF bodies would be really cool!
I just got a Bronica S2 from the ebay and reached out to Frank Marshman from Camerawiz about a possible CLA should it be needed. His reply was awesome and I wanted to post it somewhere. If here's not the place just give me a nudge.

Frank Marshman posted:

Check the focus screen ground glass/ Fresnel lens by removing the viewing hood and pressing down evenly all around. If it drops down a tiny amount than the foam material that pushes it down needs to be replaced. Also if when you focus it at infinity the lens should be exactly there at the infinity mark and end of the focusing. If it goes past or doesn't quite get there the pressure foam is deteriorated. This is a very common problem with this camera due to the age of it. Much of the time it has been replaced by now.

Check the diaphragm activation by pushing the stop down button and see if the blades close completely and quickly at f22.

Finally you will want to waste a roll of film and check the back. Remove the lens, put the camera on B. Load the camera and crank it until it stops at #1. Holding the camera so you can see in it fire the camera on B but keep holding it. Take a pen and mark all around the film in the back through the opening so you can see where this exposure was made. Release the shutter and proceed to do this on every frame until you have completed the roll. You now can pull the film out, unroll it and see if the frames all look evenly spaced. Sometimes on a bad back or really dirty the frame marks will overlap and sometimes the spacing keeps getting larger until the last marked frame is off the end.

Lastly shoot a roll at different speeds to check the shutter.

RunFish
Sep 15, 2007
Just to let you guys know I have not forgot about you. I've just been busy. The first video is done with editing. I'm having a friend do the VO for it. So it will be up soon. And I've taken your suggestions to my father and we are working out how to do them.

RunFish
Sep 15, 2007
Updated the main post with the new info. Let me know what you think! Saint Fu will like this one.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

That video loving owned.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Your friend's VO vaguely reminds me of Ron Howard in Arrested Development and that owns.

RunFish
Sep 15, 2007

404notfound posted:

Your friend's VO vaguely reminds me of Ron Howard in Arrested Development and that owns.

lol that's me. He did the one I'm uploading right now. I think I'll have him do the rest. I really don't like the sound of my own voice.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

RunFish posted:

Updated the main post with the new info. Let me know what you think! Saint Fu will like this one.
:worship: wow that was way easier than I thought it would be. Based on the recommendation to use a vertical object when testing adjustments, is it safe to assume that the screw behind the little disk only adjusts the RF horizontally? (as opposed to a RF which is out of alignment vertically)

You guys are doing a really nice job on the videos, really nice production value (and I agree on the awesome Arrested Development VO).

spf3million fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 3, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Amazing videos. Really enjoyed those.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Awesome. I also have an XA with a horizontally misaligned rangefinder and that was way easier looking than I thought it'd be. At this point I'm assuming it's only the vertical alignment that requires removing parts of the case...

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Awesome. I needed this exact fix and now I can do it myself. Thanks a bunch! These videos are great.

RunFish
Sep 15, 2007

Chill Callahan posted:

Awesome. I needed this exact fix and now I can do it myself. Thanks a bunch! These videos are great.

Glad we could help!

Dalax
Oct 27, 2007

That's some good videos. For purely selfish reasons, how about a film (or 3 :dance: )that shows how to disassemble and clean the mirror and shutter mechanisms of the Pentax ME Super? Or to be really annoying, a video suggesting how to fix the particular problem I'm having, which is the wind lock lever not engaging the shutter mechanism. Mr. Despair's wonderful guide mentions it in this post.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
EDIT: Posted a lot of cats in the wrong thread

They surely make use of every available space in the cameras.

erephus fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 12, 2014

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

Seconding this! Also, repairing bent/dented filter threads.

Saint Fu posted:

Yep, that was me!

dukeku posted:

Any information on Pentax 67s or large format shutters (Copal) would be really appreciated!

I would love to see a P6x7 shutter servicing video, I bought one online and the 1/1000s doesn't work. I've got a set of Wiha tools (plus spanner wrenches for messing around with lenses) but have never tried working on a camera body before.

The internet would probably love to see one for Kiev's if he's ever worked on those, given how buggy they can be. Here's some text about Kiev 60's.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Not sure if this is really a "tell me how to fix this" thread, but I would really appreciate a tutorial on how to open up the prism area to clean out dust. It's been an issue on every Canon I've owned so far. Advanced maintenance stuff of any nature would be pretty valued in this forum, I would think.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Anything involving pentax (particularly spotmatics) would be great.
Eric hendrikson is like 80, so when he dies, loses a hand, or retires for real, I am SOL.

I assume you need some equipment for doing light meters and calibrations, but cla on them as well as lens would be great.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
This is from a looooooong time ago:

Basically no adapters with metering, IS and correct lens meta data. Aperture was still manual though and if you changed it off of f/1.2 you'd have to set the camera to either manual exposure or Aperture priority with exposure compensation since its technically stop down metering which the camera doesn't support.

I even made Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/04/minolta-lens-conversion-for-a700-with-rom-chip-keeps-focus-and-i/

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 27, 2014

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I'm sure these wouldn't be as popular or in demand, but a few videos on repairing or replacing bellows and other components on medium and large format folders, press cameras, and rail cameras would be very much appreciated.

Also, does your dad have any Crown or Speed Graphic parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Technically not a "repair", but how about Nikon non-AI mount conversions? Does he ever come across those?

• Locked thread