Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
18 stayed about the same which meant she was stronger than everyone but Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, and Gotenks. And Buu obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

She didn't become a human again until after the Cell Games, and they wished for her to turn back into a human. She was (more or less) a cyborg before that.

We never do see just how far Gero had to modify 17 and 18 or how much of their bodies remain flesh, but 18 was human enough to have babies and to fuse with Cell (Cell couldn't absorb 16 because he was just a robot). She's just as human as Tao Pai Pai.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
It's a pity that Toriyama never even tried to explain how Krillin won #18 over.

I mean, he honestly admits he just can't write romance at all and that's why, but still, even a gag manga would work.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

WhiffleballDude posted:

18 stayed about the same which meant she was stronger than everyone but Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, and Gotenks. And Buu obviously.

Piccolo too I guess.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

furiouskoala posted:

Piccolo too I guess.

Nah Piccolo would be stronger. He was slightly stronger then 17 even though he could not beat him due to 17 infinite stamina. After this Piccolo did the year of training in 1 day so he would have surpassed 17 and 18 at that point.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Mister Roboto posted:

It's a pity that Toriyama never even tried to explain how Krillin won #18 over.

I think whatever jokes Team Four Star makes about the situation is the closest answer we're gonna get.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wonder how Team Four Star are going to handle SSJ3 in a few years time when they get to that point? Will it just take up an entire episode by itself with nothing but reaction faces and silly comments by the cast? Or will someone else distract Buu in Goku's place while Goku spends several episodes powering up, the camera cutting to him still doing so once or twice an episode, everything solved by the time he finally finishes. Cannot wait to find out just what they do with that bit in particular. That and Gohan going SSJ2 are probably the bits to most look forward to.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

tsob posted:

I wonder how Team Four Star are going to handle SSJ3 in a few years time when they get to that point? Will it just take up an entire episode by itself with nothing but reaction faces and silly comments by the cast? Or will someone else distract Buu in Goku's place while Goku spends several episodes powering up, the camera cutting to him still doing so once or twice an episode, everything solved by the time he finally finishes. Cannot wait to find out just what they do with that bit in particular. That and Gohan going SSJ2 are probably the bits to most look forward to.

As fun as a drawn out "Sorry that took so long" joke would be, one of the basic conceits of an Abridged series is that it keeps the plot intact while shortening it and making jokes about it. If we see something like that, it will be executed in a way that won't affect the plot or pacing. And it sure as hell won't take place over several episodes.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

WhiffleballDude posted:

Krillin didn't even do anything before that

Krillin totally would have killed Nappa if Vegeta hadn't warned him about The Disc. :colbert:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Zonekeeper posted:

As fun as a drawn out "Sorry that took so long" joke would be, one of the basic conceits of an Abridged series is that it keeps the plot intact while shortening it and making jokes about it. If we see something like that, it will be executed in a way that won't affect the plot or pacing. And it sure as hell won't take place over several episodes.

I'd quite like one 5 minute mini-episode where you get Goku powering up (and yelling) and have all the other characters react to it while the universe shakes like a seizure victim in an earthquake.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
"So I thought fast and I used the Solar Flare on him."

"And then used your kienzan to cut him in half?"

"Umm..."

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Probably my favorite part about that is how Krillin thinks he is immortal. And then Vegeta thinking OH my god if he used the dragonballs on himself I'M GOING TO MURDER..

That... bastard. Pretty much all of Freeza saga was great, I felt that was when TFS was hitting it's groove. Once they learn not to use references from other shows (which alot of "abridged" series do) they started to roll and it never stopped. The early episodes were weak. I do admit Goku v.s. Vegeta is still my favorite because of that one moment when Goku and Vegeta fire off both their ki blasts. Vegeta saying "THIS IS THE END KAKOROT. You don't stand a chance. I put all my power into this attack. NOW perish with the rest of your pathetic WORLD!"

And then you hear.. "KAI O KEN"..

"Noooo..."

"TIMMEEEEEEES"

"NO NO NO."

"FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUR"

"NONONONONONNONONONFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 3, 2014

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Torix posted:

We never do see just how far Gero had to modify 17 and 18 or how much of their bodies remain flesh, but 18 was human enough to have babies and to fuse with Cell (Cell couldn't absorb 16 because he was just a robot). She's just as human as Tao Pai Pai.

It's crazy (and kinda incoherent) how strong a mere human becomes after Gero's modifications, stronger than a base supersaiyan which overpowers Freeza who had a reputation even around the afterlife gods. If we assume 17 and 18 were just regular teenagers imagine how insanely strong people like Krillin or Ten would become after the same modifications.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I know this is kind of a weird thing for it to be a favorite but I think TFS is at its best when they riff on the inconsistency in DB's story. (and no, I don't mean Vegeta's "power levels are bullshit!" line, even though that was great)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlnyjw5LUj0&t=2m58s

Petiso posted:

It's crazy (and kinda incoherent) how strong a mere human becomes after Gero's modifications, stronger than a base supersaiyan which overpowers Freeza who had a reputation even around the afterlife gods. If we assume 17 and 18 were just regular teenagers imagine how insanely strong people like Krillin or Ten would become after the same modifications.

And you just highlighted a reason why so many people hate the Cell Saga. They feel it was an illogical downgrade since Z had been traveling into space to fight galactic overlords. Now we're back on Earth fighting...the Red Ribbon Army? How the hell did Gero manage this?

Cell Saga best Saga for me. Well, best Z Saga, and all Z Saga < DB Saga.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 3, 2014

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Petiso posted:

Probably because power levels don't mean anything!

I liked Cell Saga until the Cell Games started.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I haven't seen a lot of talking about Battle of Z, which is a shame because it's actually surprisingly good. I am very surprised there hasn't been a lot of buzz about it, but given what DBZ games were for quite a while I can imagine why. I made a write-up of my thoughts about it in case anyone is interested to learn about the game.

I went to metacritic for shits and giggles and it's gotten panned pretty harshly across the board, made me wonder what the hell, since the trailer made it look like intense fun.

So I found out I could download the demo and try it for myself and I feel it got pretty unfairly critiqued, so I plan to pick it up later today.

I'm not really sure what review sites are looking for in a game like DBZBoZ. It is the one genre I kinda want to toss up to the "is it fun" category rather than "is it art", which it seems these reviews operate under.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Zonekeeper posted:

He transforms straight into 3, Buu is all slow and "Whaaaaaa?", Goku says "Sorry I did that too quick", reverts to normal, then does the whole "1, 2, beyond" shtick.

Buu still doesn't get it so Goku goes through the process again but even slower.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Petiso posted:

That's just a natural side effect of writing a fighting manga where every villain HAS to be a bigger, stronger threat.

In-story, Gero was specifically said to be a genius, too, by Bulma's family...who were supergeniuses already. If you're willing to accept that super-smart Bulma and her father could build giant spaceships, defy the laws of physics, and make TIME MACHINES, another scientist building super-strong androids shouldn't be much of a stretch.

Also, Gero was working for many years, and part of DB lore has always been that if you push hard enough, with enough time and training, you will exceed anyone.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Blue Star posted:

Krillin got his rear end kicked by General Blue,

But Goku almost got killed by him, too. He had to be saved by freaking Arale.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Rudoku posted:

But Goku almost got killed by him, too. He had to be saved by freaking Arale.

Blue's entire character is very odd. He constantly outwits and dominates the heroes and is beaten mainly by multiple examples of dumb luck. And then he's killed off unceremoniously by a tongue.

I think Toriyama just wrote himself into a corner with Blue and just got sick of him and needed a Deus Ex way out.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Blue was definitely superhuman but I never got the impression he could truly rival Goku. His best asset was his paralysis technique. So yeah, I think the point of Tao was to present Goku with someone truly stronger than himself - someone who could push him to the next level.

King Piccolo was the best villain in the whole series but Tao was amazing too.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

NikkolasKing posted:

I know this is kind of a weird thing for it to be a favorite but I think TFS is at its best when they riff on the inconsistency in DB's story. (and no, I don't mean Vegeta's "power levels are bullshit!" line, even though that was great)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlnyjw5LUj0&t=2m58s

And you just highlighted a reason why so many people hate the Cell Saga. They feel it was an illogical downgrade since Z had been traveling into space to fight galactic overlords. Now we're back on Earth fighting...the Red Ribbon Army? How the hell did Gero manage this?

I feel that if it would be more logical if Toriyama stuck with the energy absorption concept of the first two androids. They'd start put week but gradually get stronger as they went on, stealing bits of energy from the Z Fighters and others, until they were legit threats, like Cell before he absorbs the androids

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Szmitten posted:

He transforms straight into 3, Buu is all slow and "Whaaaaaa?", Goku says "Sorry I did that too quick", reverts to normal, then does the whole "1, 2, beyond" shtick.

Buu still doesn't get it so Goku goes through the process again but even slower.

Okay, To make a SS3 you have to squat down and grunt for about 20 minutes.
We've already prepared one so you can see what it ends up like.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

crankdatbatman posted:

I feel that if it would be more logical if Toriyama stuck with the energy absorption concept of the first two androids. They'd start put week but gradually get stronger as they went on, stealing bits of energy from the Z Fighters and others, until they were legit threats, like Cell before he absorbs the androids

Eventually, even Goku would learn to stop using energy blasts.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Mister Roboto posted:

In-story, Gero was specifically said to be a genius, too, by Bulma's family...who were supergeniuses already. If you're willing to accept that super-smart Bulma and her father could build giant spaceships, defy the laws of physics, and make TIME MACHINES, another scientist building super-strong androids shouldn't be much of a stretch.

Haha, true that, now that I think about it, we've seen gods that could move anywhere through space who could resurrect people (by creating dragon balls) yet Bulma is the only one who discovered the secret to travel through time, she's above the friggin' gods.

VanSandman posted:

Yeah, but remember they could also absorb energy by grabbing people.

19, 20 and Cell could've certainly kept a degree of coherence since their powers come from the Z-fighters themselves.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

I remember an episode of GT with Super Shoulders 17 who could absorb energy the same way 19 and 20 could. Goku's plan was to constantly shoot kamehamehas at it then try and blow himself up.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Well, yeah, but GT was stupid.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Squallege posted:

I remember an episode of GT with Super Shoulders 17 who could absorb energy the same way 19 and 20 could. Goku's plan was to constantly shoot kamehamehas at it then try and blow himself up.

That was possibly the stupidest thing that happened in all of Dragon Ball, including the rest of non-canon, like movies - and possibly a good percentage of fanfic is less stupid.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My favorite part of that episode was how Goku realized that 17 was absorbing energy. He says this. And then he does keeps firing, just to be completely certain that this is what he's doing. And then he acts like it's a complete surprise.

Basically, I don't want to alarm anyone but I....think GT might have been poorly written!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

GT is the only true canon in my heart.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Actually, it sorta makes sense... because that actually worked before!

KoB
May 1, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

The thing that has really jumped out to me is how power levels as a concrete thing is something that the fandom and the whole surrounding Dragonball franchise really ran with despite it not really being in the story much at all.

Thats because we had to watch the Namek arc like 10 times over. We were experts in power levels by that point.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Petiso posted:

Actually, it sorta makes sense... because that actually worked before!

Yes forgetting about the entire !7 has infinite energy so it never would have worked. Giving 17 and 18 energy adsorbers would not be a bad idea as it allows them to protect themselves from Ki attacks with no issue.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
As far as fan comics go, I always liked Little Saiyalings. Kind of like Dragonball crossed with Calvin & Hobbes.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Caithness posted:

As far as fan comics go, I always liked Little Saiyalings. Kind of like Dragonball crossed with Calvin & Hobbes.
I feel like I remember that from the Planet Namek website that I used to spend too much time on.

Mister Roboto posted:

No, she was still a cyborg, she just had her self-destruct bomb removed by the dragon.
Was that a mistranslation or popular rumor or something? It seems like I always heard conflicting accounts on whether she got turned back into a human or just had the dangerous bits removed. My memory on anything after Namek is comprised of jumbled bits of the scanlated manga, subs, and dubs.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Zenzirouj posted:

Was that a mistranslation or popular rumor or something? It seems like I always heard conflicting accounts on whether she got turned back into a human or just had the dangerous bits removed. My memory on anything after Namek is comprised of jumbled bits of the scanlated manga, subs, and dubs.

The confusion may come from that the progression goes asking for 17 and 18 to be human, the dragon trying and then finding out he couldn't do it, then asking for their bombs to be removed which does work.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Namtab posted:

GT is the only true canon in my heart.

RIP Vegeta's mustache.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

RIP Vegeta's mustache.

Do pure blood saiyan's facial hair have the same set style like their hair? If so, Vegeta truly is a high class saiyan.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes forgetting about the entire !7 has infinite energy so it never would have worked. Giving 17 and 18 energy adsorbers would not be a bad idea as it allows them to protect themselves from Ki attacks with no issue.

17 and 18 could already protect themselves from ki attacks. 17 used an energy shield when he fought Piccolo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

a cartoon duck posted:

RIP Vegeta's mustache.

His flat-top looked sillier than his mustache.

• Locked thread