Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

crankdatbatman posted:

I might be wrong but didn't Cell take an entire episode to turn perfect after absorbing 18? I only remember because I had a huge nerd crush on Perfect Cell as a kid and seem to remember expecting him to show up in the episode after 18 got absorbed and being sorely disappointed when the narrator came on at the end of it.

I definitely remember that transformation taking forever. I was really surprised a few years later when the transformation was basically instantaneous in the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

How did I not know this existed? This is amazing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Also very few people have even seen Dragonball, and certainly not before they saw DBZ and learned that as the norm.

This is a real shame. When I finally sat down and read Dragonball, I found that I like it a lot better than DBZ.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

AshB posted:

And worst of all, they totally ruined Gohan's transformation scene against Cell in the American version.

I can't agree with this. I do really like that scene in Japanese, but I think Gohan's monologue in the Funimation version is really really good.

WhiffleballDude posted:

Super Buu's theme is great.

I totally agree with this.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

The one thing that always baffled me is, after rewatching DBZA I thought to myself

Wait, why is Vegeta so obsessed with beating Goku? He already did that. Goku got trounced pretty thoroughly even with all of his Kaio-what, it was only through repeated intervention that a draw was achieved by mutual KO.

Goku's a regular ol' Saiyan who managed to fight the Prince to somewhat of a standstill, had a shot at beating him and then kept one-upping Vegeta on Namek.

Vegeta's got a huge superiority complex about being the Prince of all Saiyans and can't deal with the fact that any other Saiyan could possibly be stronger than him.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I think Gohan pretty openly gave up fighting entirely and focused on studying.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gohan said on numerous occasions that he doesn't like fighting and actually wanted to be a scholar.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

After he gets hit by the spirit bomb then drops back to Earth, isn't there a bit where King Kai goes, "I don't believe it! The Saiyan is even more powerful than he was before!" or is that only in certain versions of the dub?

My memory is that Krillin thought he was dead and he wasn't and everyone kept saying "how is this guy still moving? Can't anything actually stop him?"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

I'm disappointed they wasted the dick punching joke one movie before it actually happens.

Maybe this was a preparation for it.

Vegeta's running gag was fantastic, but the movie was pretty incoherent. Does the source material make any more sense?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Shindragon posted:

It's funny the movie introduces Dende when he's grown up. I forgot what point they decide to bring Dende as the new earth guardian.

Was it during Piccolo fighting Cell or after?

Way after. It wasn't until the 10 days until the Cell Games, I'm pretty sure.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I also just watched Bojack Unbound and it was fine.

I was annoyed at how badly everyone besides Gohan was relegated to cannon fodder and that Gohan regained his mental block about SS2, but it was fine.

Honestly, all they needed to do was make Bojack stronger and Gohan could have used SS2 earlier and had an actual fight.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

^^^^: DBZA use "Yamcha" as a verb for a reason.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I would have preferred a divide-and-conquer approach to Bojack's minions, allowing everyone important to get a turn, but then SS2 Gohan couldn't no-sell everything at the end and that was badass.

SS2 Gohan no selling everyone was totally awesome, but no one else - including Vegeta - managing to do anything of consequence was disappointing as hell.

I'm partway through Fusion Reborn. Pikkon is a completely different character and Gohan just punched Freeza to death. I'm torn.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Okay, Veku was hilarious. Gogeta was, of course, completely unstoppable and was only around for about 30 seconds.

I was really weirded out but the thick black lines in the Hitler vs Goten and Trunks bit. It made the whole thing look way more cartoony.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Squallege posted:

Don't listen to Shindragon. Step into the grand tour. :getin:

I can hear the song. I never watched GT. WHY CAN I HEAR THE SONG?!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A lot of really great Goku in these episodes that wasn't just "Wow I'm An Idiot". He's got some dry wit/sarcasm this movie and it works really well. 'You're not even that good at it.' Like all his little quips about Vegeta are really great! I wonder if they're trying to 'smart him up' so they can write his actions in the Cell saga as more than the same old 'Goku is stupid' jokes they've always done.

Maybe recovering from high cholesterol based heart failure will make him smarter.

It's no weirder than training in 100x gravity letting him read Krillin's mind.

Speaking of which, where's Vegeta's telepathy? Dude trained in 500x gravity.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Those are all compelling reasons.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

StrifeHira posted:

Dragon Ball Heroes is, of all things, a cardgame videogame series that has basically been spewing the most original content out of the series for the last few years. It's responsible for, among other things, Bardock getting Super Saiyan (the manga and animated special were advertisements for that), grown up Gotenks, Super Saiyan 3 Future and GT Trunks, Baby merged with Janemba, Future Gohan getting Super Saiyan 3, and a ton of neat little animated commercials. Also has an ongoing manga.

Official Site here.

(Should probably add something to the OP about it, methinks.)

The song they use on the commercials is catchy as gently caress.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yamcha may have said that Krillin was the strongest human in order to save face. If Krillin is the strongest human in the world, Yamcha being weaker than him is less embarrassing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Guy got to the quarterfinals in...three different World Tournaments? He may be a chump, but he was consistently one of the eight strongest in the world back in Dragonball.

He did get beaten in the quarterfinals in all of three of those, though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

e X posted:

back then having your arm broken by Tenshinhan was the worst that could happen to you.

I think it was his leg, but yeah, same difference.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

And remember that while yes, Tien was "training" with King Kai, Krillin got the Elder Namek's power-up, which took him from Raditz level to nearly Vegeta on Earth level in a split second.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The Saiyan arc was pretty awesome; Goku vs Vegeta is one of my favorite fights.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah, Toriyama was actually really good at pacing poo poo out in a way a ton of people he influenced simply aren't. Every chapter has a point and progresses the story in a meaningful way, and you never come away feeling like your time was wasted.

It's hilarious how badly this translated in the original cut of DBZ the anime. Just look at loving Fake Namek for a perfect example of how things went wrong.

Oda is the only one of the new crop that has decent pacing.

Well, Fairy Tail has lightspeed pacing, but its quality really suffers from that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I found Bojack Unbound a bit mediocre because they spend 90% of it beating up the entire crew and then Gohan decimates them in a few seconds.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I think he also said that eventually he gave up trying to make Gohan the hero, because it didn't feel right or something.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Here's my take. The Earth fighters very early on were able to manipulate their "energy" or "ki" or what have you. I figured that manipulating that energy would allow them to fortify their muscles to A) withstand harder blows, B) punch and kick with more force and C) move faster than others.

As Goku et al got stronger, their energy reserves got bigger (thus, their "power level" increased) and that allowed them greater freedom in making themselves stronger.

I definitely thought too much about it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Sometimes saying "it's fine just go with it" isn't enough to keep suspension of disbelief going. Sometimes people need to find a rationalization for why something fictional works the way it works.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

surf rock posted:

While re-watching the end of the Cell saga, it struck me that maybe Mr. Satan has a decent reason for calling all of this fancy poo poo a trick (at first). If you watch the world tournaments, there are a whole bunch of gimmick fighters who really are relying on tricks instead of fighting ability. Given that Goku & Friends weren't fighting in a tournament for a long time while Mr. Satan won the title, he probably hadn't encountered real ki blasts or anything like that in his fighting career.

Videl straight up didn't know what ki even was before meeting Gohan.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zenzirouj posted:

Speaking of DBZA (every other post), hasn't it been a little longer than usual since their last video?

Since the last actual episode, they have released the second Cooler movie and a video saying "it's going to be a while."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Petiso posted:

I hope it's the "DBKai Abridged" of the Freeza saga.

drat you for getting my hopes up. Now I'm going to be really sad if that's not the case.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

TFS plans to end DBZA after Cell, or at least assess if the team still has the free time available to tackle Buu.

I hadn't heard this, but it makes sense. Goku's dead, Gohan's the strongest in the universe and Lani, Taka and Kaiser have lives.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, Goku can fly on the cloud, which only a handful of other characters can do and the Devil's Evilness Beam (name escapes me) didn't do anything to him, which was supposed to be impossible as all humans have some speck of evil in them.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

StrifeHira posted:

I hold out some small smidge of hope that TFS will toss in a bit of Kamen Rider into Saiyaman.

It's his namesake, after all.

That would be awesome, but do they know enough about KR to make any jokes?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Petiso posted:

I think each case is different, names like Mr.Satan or Tenshinhan are the official ones and many people who read/watched foreign/fan translations before the american dub are going to be used to them. Saying "Mirai Trunks" however, is stupid in any context, it's not his name nor is he refered as such in the series, it's just saying "Future Trunks" using the japanese word for "future" because it "sounds cool".

It's especially dumb when you can call him "Trunks" and the kid one "Kid Trunks."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm sorry, you both seem to have missed Vegeta breaking through the "plugin has crashed" picture.

Also, the entire Spirit Bomb bit was great.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"I am a Super Sandwich!"
*Punches Freeza*
"Agh, prick!"
*Destroys planet*

A perfect summary of about an episode and a half.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Didn't Cell explicitly say that even he didn't know how he survived the explosion?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hell, I always just wanted to see him use Kaioken as a Super Saiyan. It's just a power multiplier, I don't see why it couldn't work. And it gives him a bitchin' red glow!

He did, but it was only during the filler Otherworld Tournament.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

They were too busy standing around looking shocked and worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

RickoniX posted:

Didn't this happen in either a flashback or kai abridged?

Yes.

To be less glib, it was a flashback in DBZ Abridged.

Edit: Should've clicked on the link first.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 27, 2014

• Locked thread