Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Vintimus Prime posted:

I absolutely love the DBZ A and Kai's Freezer interpretation. The nail one major aspect of the character: he's pretty regal and polite until you piss him off.

I've been an idiot and have read youtube comments and it just baffles me how many people seem to prefer the old dbz dub to the kai dub. I know people can nostalgia pretty hard, but still, how can people think that the original dub was good? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Vintimus Prime posted:

This was a pretty awesome interview.

I'd absolutely love a movie with vegeta as the star. Toriyama's come a long way from begrudgingly keeping vegeta around because fans liked him.

Although I thought the dbz movie did well and I'm guessing it'd make good bank in a worldwide release, so here's hoping.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Goku vs Majin Vegeta has always been my favorite. It's always stuck out as one I remember from originally watching DBZ on Toonami as a small child. Despite how much I dislike the Buu saga, it had some neat fights...until most of the others ended in "Buu absorbs them".

This fight is great because it had the most buildup and was pretty much a good back and forth between two fighters of equal strength and skill. By far my favorite fight in the buu saga. Even if it is shown to be ultimately pointless.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

most of the filler was crap. two words: garlic junior.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

swamp izzo posted:

You shut your whore mouth.

People need to refresh my memory as to why this was good because all I remember is the bad guy being an idiot and defeating himself the exact same way for the second time.

Also I know that power levels are bullshit, but come on, a guy weaker then raditz can somehow take on take on piccolo, a guy who fought second form frieza, just because of some star.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Little thing from TFS I found interesting. It really shows how much work they put in the episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh0WNFQ-nuc

They even correct some animation errors.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

crankdatbatman posted:

http://www.thegrandline.com/dbzinfo/frames.html). The links are all broken as hell, but there was a section where he showed stuff that was censored/cut from the Ocean dub (before the presence of uncut episodes were a thing), which was interesting to a 12 year old me. All of his stuff came from fan-subs, and several panels also showed the characters using really foul language according to the subtitles. Did anyone ever watch any of these fan-subs? Were the translations that bad? I'm sure the original Japanese dialogue may have been a tad more mature than especially the Ocean Dub, but I seriously doubt Goku was saying the Japanese equivalent of "Go gently caress yourself" to Nappa or others.

Oh man I remember that site and I seriously thought that Japanese cartoons were full of swearing. I also remember when funimation was like the most hated anime company, boy did opinions really turn around on that one.

But yeah, fan subs used to have a ton of swears. Hell some official dubs back in the day had a ton of swears (often with hilarious results) :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 24, 2014

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I never said that swearing isn't appropriate in angel cop or that angel cop is a good show but if you're saying that the dub of angel cop didn't add at least some level hilarity some of those lines, then I don't know what to tell you.

But in any case, I do remember fansubbers adding in quite a bit of swears back in the day.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Considering he gave Perfect Cell a senzu bean after knowing full well his horrible capacity for destruction and their desperate situation, yeah, Goku would totally loving let Cell transform. Hell, he'd probably help look for 18.
I don't think goku is a big enough dick to actively let an innocent person die just to get a better fight. The senzu bean is weird, but he knew gohan would be stronger than cell once he got pissed off.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Adult gohan is the strongest in the universe but still doesnt do crap.

He had a lot more balls as a kid.

Hey he did something- he became a superhero.

I'm pretty sure we'd all try out becoming a superhero if we had crazy sayian superpowers :colbert:.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 14, 2014

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

VJeff posted:

Doesn't he get a zenkai during the movie where Cooler shows up too?

Hahaha, what a scam that ability is. Even as kid I remember noticing how much they exploited that in the Namek saga.

I thought it was great how vegeta thought to exploit dende's healing ability to try and get a power up.

Although the wound couldn't be self inflicted, I guess the Sayian body could somehow tell the difference :shrug:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well new episode of abridged up.
http://teamfourstar.com/video/tfs-abridged-parody-episode-41/

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

dbz abridged is fun, but I still think that people should watch kai.

I also can't understand the hate that kai gets around some other forums. I've seen other comments online about how the original is so much better, which just makes me confused every time I read them.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Before they had to change the music for because of the plagiarism, Kai had some great soundtracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQGY1MxtjWw

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Goku's Japanese voice is just ridiculous, it's so silly that they refused to change his VA after the timeskip.

I think it's worse that they were so lazy they used the same voice actress for Goku, Gohan and Goten. Hell she was even used for Bardock!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Twiddy posted:

correct.

The cycle is really simple. Character is a villain and therefore a threat, then Goku beats him. He turns into an ally, but he's not strong enough to be useful. This is literally all of DB and DBZ. The only reason people have a different perception regarding DB villains is because they came in after the character was a proper threat, not because the writing was actually any different.

I would argue that Vegeta and Piccolo were strong enough to be useful and pretty essential in quite a few fights, but your pretty much right otherwise.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

it's the best of all the dbz movies :colbert:.

I unironically think it's at least top 3.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

crankdatbatman posted:

Yeah, I see your point; but it also underscores how loving worthless they are while making Vegeta's assistance less heroic. It goes from Vegeta returning Gohan's favor to almost an act of cowardice, since why didn't he pitch in when every one else was helping?

Vegeta got his poo poo rocked when cell first came back. He went nuts when trucks died and cell just curb stomped him. He was injured, so that's why he only showed up later.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Webbeh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp60avoyT9k

English Theatrical trailer for the Battle of Gods movie.

I'm going to watch this movie in theaters if only to hear Chris Sabat's vegeta singing that goofy "bingo" song.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Rudoku posted:

This just reminded me how much of a dick Gohan was.

I always thought that was one of the best parts. Goku figured that Gohan would become super strong when he got mad, but he didn't expect that Gohan would be so pissed off that he would become a bit of a sadist.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

YggiDee posted:

Does Piccolo give a good showing in any of the DBZ movies, or is he stuck in the Pit of Irrelevance with all the other non-Saiyans? Because Piccolo was the best when I was ten, and I'm pretty sure it's still true. :colbert:

well he helped beat lord slug by telling Gohan to whistle.

Namekians being weak to whistling is also the dumbest loving thing.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Looks like we got another DBZ movie in the works.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/07/15/new-dragon-ball-z-anime-movie-slated-for-2015

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I loving lost it at goku's ship killing all the ginyus.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

StrifeHira posted:

A good look at Super 4 Broly, for Dragon Ball Heroes.

Who wants to bet on this thing showing up in the Xenoverse game?

Christ what with battle of the gods I was hoping we'd never see that awful ss4 design ever again.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Vintimus Prime posted:

Yea, you think with seeing him as a ssj, Freeza would have been all over that. Part over confidence since he believed his power up would enable him to beat Goku himself, and maybe part fear.

When he saw trunks go super sayian he immediately tried to blow up the earth so I wouldn't say he was loving around at all.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

17 and 18 were complete shitheads even in the original timeline, they just got a giant wakeup call in the face of Cell. Well, 18 did at least.

The impression I got was that the androids came and completely slaughtered vegeta and the rest in a very short timeframe.

I didn't get that feeling from the other versions. Hell 18 kissed krillin.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

DBZ has been making a crazy amount of money since day one and it's dumb to think that it's only popular become of abridged.

Dbz kai was nicklodeon's most popular show when it was running after all.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I watched it on YTV. I remember one time a buddy started talking about how cool it was DBZ was getting new episodes but when I watched it at his place he was several weeks behind and had different voices. He was watching the CN version and had no idea that YTV was ahead so I got to tease him with revelations that blew his mind.

I also enjoyed how arcs seemed to switch from funimations dub to the canadian dub.

Funimation dub was way better, can't be patriotic on this one :canada:.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

http://teamfourstar.com/video/dbza-episode-44-preview-flirting-2/

There's a preview out for the next episode of abridged. Cell's voice oh my god :allears:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Goku got a fiance by groping Chi-Chi's crotch. Gohan can't top that.

Seriously though, Cell Saga Gohan > Kid Goku >>>>> Adult Goku/other versions of Gohan.

Kid Goku was a fantastic protagonist but something horrible happened come "Z". I don't know what. Maybe his releasing a genocidal madman because he wants to fight them again, even after said madman had killed his friends and tried to blow up his planet.

Idiot Heroes don't work in serious fiction. Dragonball was such a gag series that Goku being dumb was believable. But, as an adult, in the DARKER AND GRIMMER DBZ, Goku continuing to be a moron was just frustrating.

yes that dark and grim series where they fight dancing aliens. Also, when the heroes fight a big pink monster made of playdough. The pink monsters turns the heroes into candy, yet the monster still gets beat up said candy. that poo poo was dark.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

every moment with cell was great. It looks like he's going to be a great character.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Speaking of Alucard, I'm fuckin' pumped for the yearly Hellsing Abridged.

I'm a little worried that it won't be as good, since alucuard doesn't show up for a a couple of episodes.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

dragonball z cosplay is drat near impossible to pull off, so this is a pretty drat good effort.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I love how hokuto no ken basically became "I make you do whatever the gently caress I want if I hit you in some random spot" and kenshiro having a counter for pretty much anything.

but seriously Fist of the north star owns and everyone should watch it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

this was a pretty good episode but not quite as good as the other four. It's not really the fault of the teamfourstar, the fifth episode of hellsing ultimate is for the most part, a boring set up episode.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

RZApublican posted:

This brings up the logical question, of course, of how literate Vegeta is. Did Freeza's empire have a good educational system?

well he knows basic arithmetic, given that he used the scouters.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

All you have to know about GT is that if the characters not named Goku, then that character is basically useless.

I was bored and watching some clips of it regularly. SS4 goku gets his poo poo wrecked by omega Shenron and he goes back to normal goku. Goku then makes a spirit bomb and just tanks shots (while in a weaker form no less) from the guy who moments ago, just bodied him.

Gotta love how they copied the ending of Buu, without any of the stuff that made the ending to Buu fun.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

We've been here 20 hours?

I never even thought about that before, but man they really were.

I'm glad they addressed that because even as a kid that bugged me. How were they there for a day? they never showed anything at night.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of Android 13, if you have 13/14/15 fight Dr. Gero in Raging Blast 2, he doesn't recognize any of them.

I know his computer created them or whatever, but did he not look at their blueprints at all? For that matter, how did he move on to 16 and the others without having an idea of what he wanted to do with those three? :psyduck:

Also, there's a SSJ4 Broly in DBZ Heroes now. It's only a matter of time before SSJG Broly.

I was hoping that with battle of the gods that ss4 would stop showing up. Such a horrible design.

Also broly sucks and the only cool thing about him is that he uses wrestling moves sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Firstborn posted:

Regardless of how the internet feels, I think Zarbon was pretty funny. The writing for him was good, and him having a girlfriend was the best. The F.A.G. joke isn't good, though. I don't know a kid who didn't think the whole anime bishounen thing weren't gay. No offense to anyone.

I always thought TFS portrayal of zarbon's was just a joke on how he was portrayed in the original dub.

• Locked thread