Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

"Oh no. I'm just a little bit absolutely livid!

You've got to do that quote justice.

"I'm sorry, I'm usually far more composed. I'm just a little bit :catstare: ABSOLUTELY LIVID. :catstare:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zorak posted:

See, I'm loving the Androids in the Abridged version, it's really Android 16 that makes it work because of how goofy he is.

For me it's 17 and 18's back-and-forth. They had sort of a "creepy twins" vibe in the source material but here they are just constantly being dicks to each other as only siblings can.

"If this is about pissing off Mom and Dad, then you could just date a black guy."

"Oh my God."

"Oh, right, they're dead."

"Oh my God!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Holy hell those screenwipes are irritating.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

The voice acting for the two of them just nails it so well, but her in particular. She doesn't sound bitchy or angry, just mildly bemused or impatient to do something more interesting.

"This guy!"

"...yep."

*horrible beatdown ensues*

That show's as quotable as the Simpsons, I swear.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blue Star posted:

What does Toriyama think of his international fans? Does he even know how popular Dragon Ball is around the world?

At least in reviews over the last several years, Toriyama's come off as more embarrassed by his fame than anything. He drew a little comic and is still a bit bewildered by how it became so popular. Even funnier is that this was in a dual interview with Oda, who was just about deafening everyone with his squeals of joy over getting to sit next to his idol.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

crikster posted:

Hey be serious. I know Abridged is for laughs. I've never even watched DBZ before the Buu saga. And people on the internet say to stay away from Kai because you miss so much. Filler episodes are still awesome, for example I'm excited to see Piccolo and Goku get their driver's license.

DBZ Abridged is funnier and also better than the original series, Kai or otherwise.

edit: like this may sound like an extended practical joke but it's not, after the first ten episodes DBZA broke away from the meme-catchphrase style of its contemporaries and basically became "DBZ, but better." The important characters' personalities are intact but have funnier dialogue, the throwaway ones get rewrites which are appropriate and hilarious, the endless fights are cut down while still playing out coherently, etc, etc.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 30, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

Guess what guys? Power levels are loving cool.

nah

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Onmi posted:

Finally dedicated some time to watching Battle of Gods extended cut. That was pretty loving good. I still enjoy immensly that despite two god-powered figures going at it in the middle of the city, they didn't actually damage anything, double amazing because it's the job description of one of them to destroy things.

Beerus, despite all the evidence to the contrary, is a god damned professional. He'll explode a planet when he means to explode it and not a moment before.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Fake Namek episode is the biggest misstep in the whole Abridged series. No idea how that even came about, given how on-point KaiserNeko et al usually are with their script-writing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Eonwe posted:

the new stuff looks better

It really does, those old-show screenshots look crazy ugly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Covok posted:

Is Hao a villain?

The main villain, yes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KoB posted:

Dont.

Please dont.

Its just so bad.

Seriously, reading Bleach is a waste of your valuable time even by manga standards.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Can someone explain this Homestuck thing to me? I have almost zero knowledge of it (Other than the name being a pun on a fairly mediocre JRPG), and I don't want to Google it out of fear.

Sounds like somebody wants SOMEBODY to tell them about Homestuck.

Okay, all joking aside, it's a very, very long mixed-media webstory with an absurdly over-complicated plot that spawned a huge number of memes and a rabid fanbase during its height. The creator itself mostly keeps his distance from the community and is such a weirdo that drama doesn't really stick to him, but the mania surrounding the thing made everyone who wasn't already into the craze completely sick of it.

Lately the furor's died down, due to a number of lengthy hiatuses and a general decline in quality, but it's still chugging along to this day.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

What gender noun do you use when referring to someone of unspecified gender, because I was taught to use "him" whenever that applied. Whatever, unimportant.

The difference is maybe a bit up for debate, but if you went out there, truly looking, you'd find stuff that "Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff" were parodying. That is distinctly different from any comic book or manga as far asI know, because at least they draw something. Maybe not always pretty, maybe not always sensible, but at least something. Surviving cousins can be seen in fan-comics where Sonic self-inserts today.

Luckily, most of these terrible comics have been run off the face of the Earth. But maybe you think still that it can't be that different from comic books or mangas at large.

Well, you are in luck. I present to you, one of the actually "good ones" from back in time: http://www.elfonlyinn.net/d/20020523.html

Yes, this was actually better than most of the stuff I read.

Early-oughts webcomics were in a dire state, yes. But today the medium's pretty much hit the 99/1 ratio of everything else - a giant sea of bland or awful cookie-cutter wrecks with some incredible works scattered throughout.

The same goes for anime, there's like one show a year worth watching out of what, three or four dozen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

StrifeHira posted:

Not gonna lie I would totally watch 20-something minutes of Dandy, QT, Meow, and Beerus hanging out, doing things. They seem like they'd kinda "get" one another. Wouldn't be the first god Dandy's met, either.

Dandy is the single chillest dude in the universe, he and Beerus could hang out for eons without getting bored of each other.

• Locked thread