Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

StrifeHira posted:

Speaking of AF-level insanity, guess what Dragon Ball Heroes just got!~

That's right!
Neko Majin gently caress yeah!

S....super Saiyan 3 Vegetto?

Damnit, now my inner teenager needs new pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cozz posted:

http://youtu.be/BZstUJQ2QLg?t=14m40s

"Go Toriyama, and teach a dinosaur to ride a ball"

That doesn't really answer his question, it just refers to the first iteration of the joke. The origin of the joke, as far as I can tell, lies in the Dragonball Z opening song "CHA -LA HEAD CHA-LA".

The song contains the lyrics, 溶けた北極1の中に 恐竜がいたら 玉乗り仕込みたいね, which translates more or less to "Within the melted polar ice, If there’s a dinosaur, I want to train it to balance on a ball!"

To be honest the lyrics of the opening song are straight up ridiculous. One of the defining moments for me as I began to learn Japanese was watching dragonball and realizing just what the gently caress I had been listening to for all those years.

As another fun fact, Head Cha-la is a weird engrish style pun on words. 平ちゃら or Hecchara can be Japanese slang for "Be cool" or "Its all good" which fits with the overall fun loving feel of the song.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cozz posted:

Thank you for this lesson. I never got the reference in Revenge of Cooler Abridged, because I just thought Goku was an idiot, and didn't realize it was another TFS running joke.

Yeah, sorry btw. Just realized that I came off as a total dick at the start there. :(

Its a really, really obscure reference to be honest. Though I keep having this mental image of Icarus riding around on a beach ball and I can't tell if it is something I've seen or if I'm just imagining it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

He might have been Super Saiyan 2 against Broly in Movie 10 and Dabura in the Buu Saga. The problem is that SSJ2 is such a lazy loving design that it's impossible to tell on older Gohan. You can tell with his Cell Games self because he has more hair to stick straight up but not so as an adult.

He's almost certainly in SSJ 2 in both of these instances. When he goes Super Saiyan 2 against Broly he proceeds to stomp his face for all of 30 seconds before Broly takes on his full form, which makes sense since the Super Saiyan's from the first movie got stomped but a Super Saiyan 2 should be able to keep up.

The same is true of Dabura. They mention that Dabura is roughly on par with Cell, and Gohan is fighting him more or less to a draw. Vegeta gets annoyed that Gohan has gotten so weak over the years that his Super Saiyan 2 form isn't capable of stomping someone of cell's caliber anymore.

Caros
May 14, 2008

carry on then posted:

Yeah, I guess I meant teen Gohan specifically, or more precisely Gohan when he was the best fighter. All the other stuff he appears in when he's that age he barely does anything of note.

Yeah, teen Gohan really is the best Gohan. :smith:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Disharmony posted:

Movie 10 shows the difference, since Gohan starts out in SSJ2 against Broly, then inexplicably switches to SSJ1 for the energy blast battle.

The big issue with this is that a lot of the time the shittier art crews in the anime didn't have the time or the effort to properly animate the more subtle difference between SSJ and SSJ2.

Caros
May 14, 2008

bladeworksmaster posted:

I'm a fan of The Scream Heard Round the Universe myself.

Daddy?

Caros
May 14, 2008

PiedPiper posted:

There was a fan theory that zenkai doesn't even work after attaining SSJ status. And don't get me wrong, it'd be very boring to see our protagonist abusing their natural traits to gain an easy upper hand, it's just that it doesn't even get mentioned, much less outright proposed.

Vegeta's crazy training is still my favourite bit from anime so I can't be mad it all happened the way it did.

The only Zenkai I can remember happening after Vegeta's healing abuse (or Goku's heal tank depending on your point of view) was actually to Cell who came back stronger after his self destruct.

quote:

When I was reading the manga of Rurouni Kenshin, it struck me that he saw Kaoru as a really strong female character, just that she was vastly outshined by the rest of the cast who were the protagonists and their anti-thesis, but he also felt remorse at not being able to show just how strong she was when writing it originally.

He did allow her to completely disable her opponent with just the hilt of her blade though, which is really badass.

Yeah, the problem with Kaoru and women in general in Rurouni Kenshin is that the author had a habit of introducing 'strong' female characters who were powerful in comparison to regular people, but massively underpowered compared to the shonen villains they faced.

When fighting someone who wasn't a superpowered burn victim, legendary assassin or 25 foot giant Kaoru did pretty good. She straight up kneecapped one of the sub villains, which was harsh.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

#18 was once the coolest Vegeta-humbler ever who managed to trick Satan into making her rich...also killed off-camera by being turned to chocolate.

I don't know if blackmail qualifies as trickery.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Darko posted:

17/18 were a notch above Vegeta, with the kicker being that they didn't drain energy while fighting. Vegeta fought 18 hard enough to annoy her, meaning that, as Roboto said, if it was one of their normal group fights, they would probably win, especially with Goku involved. Compare Vegeta vs. 18 to Vegeta vs. Freeza. Completely different presentation.

They were also established as not really being villains. They were shown as "different" from the other androids in that they were just teens having a good time, with a pesky "gotta kill Goku one day" bit of programming in there. And then, soon after showing up, Piccolo, of all people, powered up to their level.

On the other hand 17 effortlessly wiped the floor with the entire rest of the team. More to the point he went toe to toe with 'super' piccolo later on who was considerably stronger than Vegeta was when he lost to 18.

The endless energy thing helps, but 17 is still a decent step above everyone else.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I'm sure there was some advantage to building a fat clown android, but I'm just not seeing it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ZoninSilver posted:

Krillin was killed by one of the original Piccolos minions pre-DBZ.

Which is also why Goku flips his poo poo even beyond what you would expect. As far as he was concerned krillin was dead permanently.

Caros
May 14, 2008

StrifeHira posted:

To be fair, he WAS about as strong as a single Saibaman.

That's going to result in relentless poo poo-talking from Nappa and Vegeta no matter what.

Yeah, to be fair, once people realized that level of strength was an attainable thing, loving Yamcha was capable of attaining it within a year.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kild posted:

Well that was anime only. Vegeta talked about it all throughout the Saiyan saga. Which is why DBZ Abridged pokes fun of it.

Think you mean Namek saga there. The first mention of a Super Saiyan is at the same time in both the original anime and the manga, its when Goku arrives on Namek. Vegeta is blown away by how much stronger Goku is than even the Ginyu force now, which prompts him to wonder if maybe Goku had become the legendary Super Saiyan.

In the anime its accompanied by the great golden ape that confuses the poo poo out of people and was later referenced for GT, but that is just all filler.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Brony Hunter posted:

"Vegeta, honey, would you take out the trash?"
"How dare you, woman? Do you expect the Prince of all Saiyans to dirty his hands on such filth? You make a mockery out of my entire warrior race!"

Alternately he develops a new technique on the spot:

"GARBAGE BAG CRUSH!"

"FILTH VAPORIZATION!"

Etc.

quote:

No coronation ceremony, no Saiyan aristocratic institutions left to have a coronation ceremony.

New episode idea, Vegeta attempts to corral Goku, Gohan, Trunks and Goten into throwing him a coronation ceremony.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Esroc posted:

Yes. They are as strong as Freeza after fighting Majin Buu, training for years, and discovering Super Saiyan 3 while fused. All of that and they just barely reach Freeza. But they could go Super Saiyan before Buu even showed up. Meaning it's safe to assume that Pre-Buu Saga they were Dodoria/Ginyu/Zarbon levels of power (and that's being generous) but still could go SSj. Meaning SSj is not predicated on already being immensely powerful. SSj has little to do with your base power and everything to do with being in a situation in which you "need" it to happen and the knowledge that it can be done.

Except that before the tournament or any of their followup training Trunks is training at 150x gravity with some difficulty. Even Ginyu probably would have been pasted by that.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Esroc posted:

That is a hole in my theory, I do admit. However I have to handwave it away as a simple inconsistency since the only conceivable ways that Trunks and Goten could only be Freeza level during the Yo! special is if they somehow drastically regressed in power immediately after Buu was defeated or they were never that strong to begin with without Gotenks at SSj3. To me them not being very powerful to begin with makes more sense.

In their Super Saiyan forms both Goten and Trunks are capable of fighting at the same general level of Gohan and Vegeta. They are clearly weaker, but Gohan nearly shits himself when Goten in his non super saiyan form nearly beans him with a rock from close up. If their basic level was anywhere near freeza's minions they wouldn't be able to spar with Gohan or Vegeta, even if the latter were holding back as best they were able.

Goten and Trunks, when super saiyan, seem to be roughly at the level of Goku when he first transformed. They've got a lot of raw power, but they really are just very strong amateurs. On top of that they don't really get any stronger during the Buu saga at all. They get a little bit of training, but almost all of it is related to the two of them fusing for the massive power boost. It wouldn't strike me at all odd if they are roughly at the same level post buu saga as they were pre buu saga.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

I told you. I tooooold you.

The Gohan meltdown is coming :getin:

You tried to give this job to Goku! Goku! He doesn't even look after his kid! I look after his kid!

Caros
May 14, 2008

VanSandman posted:

King Dog is a reference to the King Piccolo saga, right?

King Dog even appears during the Cell Saga actually, though I'm not sure if that is just for filler.

Caros
May 14, 2008

dipwood posted:

People judge DBZA episodes for the laughs, but I think at this point we can safely say that this adaptation is just a superior one to the original, rather than an intentionally funny one. At least, that's how it is to me. There was far more exposition between Piccolo/Kami than in the original.

I had the same thought. In a lot of ways DBZA is now very much just an 'abridged' series. You get the whole plot of the series, a little bit of the fighting through the lens of a slightly more comedic take. Not every scene needs to have a joke, and that is no more clear than the introduction of cell which was straight up disturbing.

Caros
May 14, 2008

TARDISman posted:

That's the big problem I have with the entire "Abridged" series thing. Everyone's so focused on cranking them out so they can get views and by getting views, they get that sweet, sweet ad revenue. The main reason Yu Gi Oh and DBZ work is that it's been long enough that people can be nostalgic about the series. You can't be nostalgic and go "Boy I remember back in the day when Attack on Titan did some crazy stuff" when "back in the day" was about 4 weeks after the episode aired.

Its worth pointing out that to my knowledge, neither Yugioh or DBZ abridged get any money from ad revenues. Its actually why they started their gaming channels, in the hope that by providing some completely original content they can get money to fun their primary work.

Caros
May 14, 2008

VJeff posted:

Man, I didn't find Nappa funny at all and I audibly groaned when he came back as a ghost.

The movie producer bit was funny though.

Did you at least laugh when he showed up in the christmas special?

:) - Tonight you will be haunted by three ghoooooosts! And they're all me. *Pop* *Pop* Hi.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blue Star posted:

I've never understood why Bojack is so popular. He's got a really boring character design, and what even is his deal? He's a pirate that was sealed inside King Kai's planet, or some poo poo? Zangya and Bujin were more visually interesting.

Only bringing it up because I'm a pedantic rear end, but Bojack isn't actually sealed inside King Kai's planet. Bojack was sealed inside a star by the four Kaio's and released when King Kai died (Even though he was ressurected almost immediately.

It IS however, funnier to have him be a pirate trapped inside the planet, so I let it slide for the abridged guys.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Petiso posted:

:spergin: King Kai never resurrects actually.

Huh. Always thought he'd have come back with the 'people killed by cell' wish.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Triskelli posted:

Actually after reading a synopsis I'm pretty sure Goku may secretly be a dick to Gohan, if only because he gave/gives Cell a sensu bean so the two could have a "fair fight"

Keep in mind that Goku refuses to outright end the galaxy destroying Majin Buu, even after said monster has killed Vegeta and his son (or so he thought) because he wants to give the kids a chance to kill it. He chooses to do this even after Buu has blown up two separate heavily populated cities (Eh dragonballs will fix it.).

Goku is just a massive rear end in a top hat when it comes to anything but fighting, even in the non-abridged series. The last shots of him in the series involve Goku ditching his family to fly off and train Ubuu for an untold amount of time, though he'll totally visit. The man can literally teleport and hadn't seen Bulma or Krillin, two of his closest childhood friends in years by that point.

And why does he want to train Ubuu? So that he can have someone challenging to punch.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

How did I not know this existed? This is amazing.

You think that is amazing? You clearly haven't seen the Malaysian DBZ dub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wG84efH4sw

"Saiya people!"

"Take your hand off from Gohan!"

"Kaio-ken! Up to ten times!"

And of course.

"Now you've shown your real poo poo Saiya people."

Caros fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 31, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Darko posted:

That's because it's an OAV created around stuff Toriyama already worked up as opposed to a movie that Toei made up completely on their own.

My favorite moment in the history of Trunks manga version is when Trunks goes off to fight the androids alone for the first time after becoming a Super Saiyan. He flies off all full of piss and vinegar, you turn the page and... he is waking up in a hospital bed. Its just wonderful.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Momomo posted:

The easiest way I deem Krillin as the strongest is compare the amount of fights they've actually won.

Krillin won against a Saibaman.
Tien got zero actual fights.

Krillin wins.

Tien beat the poo poo out of vegeta junior (the saibaman) as well.

Krillin meanwhile got to beat up on some of freeza's henchmen. And... Yeah that's about it. He beats on some poor battery at the 25th Tourny.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cruel Rose posted:

"Who is this mysterious new fighter? Find out next time!"

"Piccolo is facing this mysterious stranger Shin in the world tournament. How will he react, what will he do?"

Caros
May 14, 2008

crankdatbatman posted:

People really loved to badly translate that Cooler movie, huh?

With that many supa saiya people it is hard not to.

Caros
May 14, 2008

WhiffleballDude posted:

Probably thinking of Legendary Super Warriors, aka the best DBZ game.

Funny way of writing Legend of the Super Saiyan. :colbert:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kild posted:

Except he also dealt with Taipon or whatever his names Box from Wrath of the Dragon in DBM.

Hildegarn.

Jesus, it's like you p only don't even watch subpar dragonball films. :colbert:

Caros
May 14, 2008

YggiDee posted:

Does Piccolo give a good showing in any of the DBZ movies, or is he stuck in the Pit of Irrelevance with all the other non-Saiyans? Because Piccolo was the best when I was ten, and I'm pretty sure it's still true. :colbert:

Piccolo consistently kicks the piss out of mid level villains in movies 1-6. He will always lose to the big boss because Goku has to win, but he generally kills at least one of the henchmen in every film, which puts him head and shoulders above pretty much everyone else.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Testekill posted:

The only problem with History of Trunks is that it's pretty dark so it would be kinda difficult to get humour out of it. I mean, if anyone can do it it's Team Fourstar but it'll still be tough.

The original Bardock special wasn't exactly sunshine and rainbows either, but they still made it pretty funny.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I feel worst for Goten. There's a kid who Dad did just not give the smallest poo poo about.

He at least taught him fusion.

Edit: Or started to anyways.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Webbeh posted:

I believe that was an unused scene.

It was an error. The preview had him going SSJ but when it was pointed out by hordes of rabid fans they quickly went back and redrew the scene to have him power-up in a way consistent with his mystic power-up in the anime.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Vintimus Prime posted:

I'd like to think it was a little bit of a different fight than how it turned out with Trunks. Especially with Freeza recognizing Goku and wouldn't take him lightly like he did with Trunks.

It's assumed that it took at least a little bit of effort from Goku. The whole reason that he has his heart attack during the android fight instead of the intervening years is that he didn't stress his body out fighting Freeza and King Cold, something that wouldn't have happened if he effortlessly dusted them.

Plus this is Goku, you know he'd let King Cold power up just to see.

Caros
May 14, 2008

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Trunks isn't exactly a reliable narrator seeing as he can't actually sense their power levels.

He doesn't have to be. We have a couple chapters and some back story info that show trunks and/or Gohan able to keep pace with 17 or 18 so long as it was one at a time.

The main time line versions of 17 and 18 absolutely rolled the entire gang in a few seconds. Trunks had practice fighting his versions and he got KO'd in a couple of hits by the main time line androids.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

But he didn't want to make Vegeta feel bad! :saddowns:

It also doesn't help that if he'd one shot Vegeta it probably would have had more or less the same effect of filling up Buu's charge since its based on damage done... or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Great episode but MAN is their take on Cell dark. DBZ mostly just glossed over him doing evil things to the point where it was mostly just 'bad guy does bad things'. But this is straight up horror movie Cell. And I love it.

• Locked thread