Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

We'll finally see who Goku's mother is.

B-b-but my FANFICS
:qqsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

GT is the only true canon in my heart.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Speaking of that, I'm trying to remember. When did Nail actually stop surfacing in the series?

I don't think he was mentioned at all after the frieza saga.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kamicollo

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Vintimus Prime posted:

I did love the scene in Kai where he says I'm Son Goku when fighting Freeza after turning ssj.

I preferred the classic Z speech "I am the hope of the universe...."

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

furiouskoala posted:

No, he never did. I don't think anyone did, Goten, Trunks, no tails.

Goku does in GT

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

RBX posted:

I thought it was he knew he could but wanted Gohan to awaken his power. Cell exploding was unexpected.

You've got it confused with SS3 Goku vs Buu. Goku knew he could probably beat Buu at that point but held back cause he wanted his kids to be able to save the earth.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

I wish Toriyama had come up with something different for the SSJ-SS2 thing beyond just random electricity. Like, I don't know, make the entire aura electrical, or make it a different color than yellow, or make it seep into their eyes or something, just anything other than things that are easily missed in the frenetic animation.

Well with goku and gohan there's that one bit of hair over the forehead that's a p.obvious visual cue, but there's nothing for Vegeta at all.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Nah, Vegeta's way easier. He gets more and more smug.

You'd be smug too if you were prince of all saiyans

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Seeing as cell has saiyan DNA does that make vegeta his prince?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

It's interesting how people call kid Gohan "Teen Gohan."

When Gohan kills Cell he's 9/11.

When Buu saga starts, he's 16/18.

The age discrepancy is because the manga says he's 9 while the anime says 11.

Tween Gohan

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Think of the whole piccolo fusion thing like this. Frieza doesn't train, his shtick is that he's just got an insane amount of power, even in his first form.
Piccolo has spent his entire life training and in battle, and Nail was iirc a warrior caste Namekian (i.e. literally bred to be able to fight). In comparison Frieza just overwhelms his opponents with raw strength and power.
The namekian fusion is essentially a synergy thing. It's not just Piccolo's power + Nail's power, but the integration of everything Nail is into Piccolo, a merging of their respective training and knowledge. Remember that we know little about Nail, but Piccolo was established by then as being a very tactical fighter.
Is it really surprising that a fusion like this, where the ability and knowledge to fight is enhanced, enables the new Piccolo to go head to head with Frieza up until the point where Frieza transforms again into a form where he just literally is too strong for their attacks to affect?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

oku wanted the series to end after Pilaf Oolong

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Akira who?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

What the h*ck is animation?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

So how many times in dragonball Z did the announcer use "the sleeper has awakened". Cause it feels like it happened a lot.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

My :spergin: level is over 8000

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

We'll pay a terrible price if GT becomes non-canon

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Szmitten posted:

It always was.

GT was never non-canon although toriyama is now doing his best to cheapen the Gt experience.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

They could use Mr. Satan's actual lines from the show and he'd still be second best character behind my boy Tween Gohan

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Blue Star posted:

I've never understood why Bojack is so popular. He's got a really boring character design, and what even is his deal? He's a pirate that was sealed inside King Kai's planet, or some poo poo? Zangya and Bujin were more visually interesting.

It's probably the best movie plus it's the only one that actually adds to DBZ a little rather than being a lovely side story.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Vintimus Prime posted:

Well on the Buu thing, Goku wasn't exactly wrong. He never had any intention of using SSJ3 until he came across fat buu and needed to stall. That's why when he's at the lookout he tells Popo, Piccolo, and Krillin if Vegeta couldn't win, he couldn't win also. Hell his idea for beating Buu initially was to fuse with either Vegeta or Gohan which Piccolo quickly guessed. Goku's reasoning for not killing Buu was because if he's gone, Vegeta's gone, Gohan is gone, those 2 kids are it. Like it or not, they'd have to bear the responsibility. If he beat Buu and then some other threat shows up in the future, everyone was hosed. Plus fighting Buu, he probably had an idea of Buu's power and figured that the fusion technique would work. He seemed confident of that. Now if he had known fat buu would be absorbed by his evil side and become even stronger, and all the poo poo that happened due to that, he would have done the job himself right there.

At least the way the manga and Japanese version portrays it, it's more of a "I'm not even supposed to be here/the living defend their world." I can't recall how the dub set it up.

The dub set it up the same, he says at some point that if he'd made an effort at SS3 he could have beaten fat Buu, but then if some other poo poo came up he'd be too busy being dead to do anything about it.

Thinking about it, the poo poo with Gohan is probably a similar principle. Yeah it's a dick move for Goku to give cell the senzu bean, but at that point Gohan is stronger than goku. While Goku had no intention of dying there he wanted to know that Gohan could handle any future threats and he wanted Gohan to realise that he had surpassed his dad in strength.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

History of Trunks is both great and awful, because Future Trunks is probably one of Toriyama's most interesting characters and the Trunks in the prime timeline is just kinda lame.

Well prime trunks gets to grow up with a dad, friends, and no robots systematically wiping out the human race out of boredom.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This was like my favourite BGM out of the whole thing, so rad.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Parrotine posted:

Where do you find these things

Noone loves that goku more.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

GT was somewhat interesting up until the end of the baby arc. Then they decided to have the rest take place on earth because gently caress the grand tour.

To be more specific, it went bad about the time when they just sent baby to earth and showed him taking over, and then just did a "six months later" or w/e cause they ran out of planet ideas to have the dragonballs be on.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Both Pan and Uub are worthless, but Pan is also annoying.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

SS4 looked better than 3 but idk why goku is suddenly an adult in that form.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Vegito was cool and almost made up for it. Of course even the half-Goku fusion wasn't Goku enough so they had to break that apart too.

"hmmm...this is pretty Goku. But it's not quite Goku enough"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I sure hope that by the buu saga they aren't still rehashing old jokes like "dodge"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wait, what is Goku's family name?

Son

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That was the joke. His daughter's name is an anagram of Devil.

Holy poo poo :aaa:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Esroc posted:

Nobody ever talks about Plan to Eradicate The Saiyans. I mean, it was pretty bad. But not Bio-Broly bad, and we talk about that one all the time.

I always forget it exists.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

I think a. Toriyama doesn't know what the gently caress he is talking about, b. the power creep was kind of bullshit, and c. DBZ is not that great of a story even though the fights owned.

Smdh if you don't think DBZ is the hamlet of our generation

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This but the ability to watch 10 times more anime than a normal human

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Power levels are bullshit pseudoscience which is why only villains relied on them

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Broly vs Beerus

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

No, Supersonic Warriors 2 just has new features.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You don't really need to see DB before DBZ just to know who tien and yajirobe are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Having trouble against a guy who cant be killed

• Locked thread