Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That bullshit in Abridged with the purple aliens being the distant descendants of belligerent killer were-monkey men was totally made up by Team Fourstar, right? Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Pretty sure Cell and Hercule have the same voices.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Why would you buy Z instead of Kai or the manga? Even if Kai's disks are more expensive, you're basically getting more anyway with the filler cut out. And Freeza not sounding like an old woman.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Some of the very best parts of dragon ball z were filler.

The fun adventure stuff they make up in between was great, its the fights being stretched out forever that sucked.

Well yeah, no one's denying that Piccolo and Goku taking driving lessons isn't amazing, but you can just look up all the good filler on YouTube, since like 90% of the filler stories are (probably) boring stuff like Fake Namek.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

The "Goku is a fighting junky" topic has made me want to ask you all a question I've always puzzled over.

You might remember Kid Goku fought a character named Spike the Devilman. He had an attack that, if you possessed even an inkling of evil or impurity in you, would cause your heart to explode. Kid Goku survived but would Adult Goku?

Am I alone in thinking Adult Goku's heart would pop like a potato in a hot fireplace? He is incredibly selfish, as seen when he lets the guy go who just helped murder all his friends (and tried to murder everyone else on Earth) solely for the desire to fight him again. Vegeta could have come back to murder everyone he "loved" but nope, Goku was far more concerned with his own addition to violence.

And let's not even get into the whole throwing his son t a genocidal and unstoppable monster.

Goku's selfish moments have always come across as his childish disposition shining through, at least to me. Goku didn't think about how Vegeta might come back because he's a dumb manchild, and dumb manchildren don't think about the long-term consequences of their actions.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Squallege posted:

Is there filler in Dragon Ball?

Hell yeah there is. Personally I'd just stick with the manga, since there's a great set of omnibuses Viz released with larger pages than usual, and Dragonball's only sixteen volumes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

bowmore posted:

Well that makes sense, Vegeta was a dick.

fixed that for you.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Esroc posted:

The use of CG for the fights scenes was lazy. Super Saiyan God was silly, made no sense within established canon, and was also a lazy design. Overall it was just all around lazy. I enjoyed parts of it. Beerus was awesome and Vegeta finally had a moment to shine. And the comedy was top notch. But Toriyama phoned it in for various aspects and it shows.

All in all I'm getting a real Star Wars prequel trilogy vibe out of the material Toriyama has published and discussed in recent years. He's trying to revive his creation either for recognition or money (hint: it's money) but has completely forgotten what made the original great.

And much like Lucas being reigned in by other people during the Original Trilogy then being cut loose for the Prequels, Toriyama was kept in control by his editors during DBZ but has now been set loose for this new stuff. There's a lot of parallels happening here and they make me worried about where this franchise is heading.

I dunno man, Dragonball was pretty fantastic because it was THE GREATEST ACTION-ADVENTURE-FANTASY-COMEDY manga series of all time, which Z mostly ignored. If Battle of the God's comedy was actually good, then he can do whatever the hell he wants to with the franchise and recon the poo poo out of it, because it's him finally remembering how cool his series was before it because about aliens screaming at each other.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I assume Nicktoons would probably be pretty pissed if they didn't get first dibs on the Buu saga, seeing as how DBZ Kai was apparently pretty consistently high in the ratings, to the point where they even started airing GT and other old anime, so there's that too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kild posted:

Didn't Goku not have food for like 3 days when they fought?

Yeah, and Yamcha got wrecked right after Goku finished eating, so his only achievement was beating up a starving twelve-year old Goku. While he was sixteen. People joke about Yamcha, but he really was a chump for pretty much the entire series.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I literally scoff when I see Mr. Satan instead of hercule

though one good thing about the names in dbz, you can spot a weeb from a mile away thanks to poo poo like son goku and mirai trunks

The Viz translations are probably where most of the dumb names come from, since they use all the Japanese names like Son Goku, Kame Senin and Kuruin. Which is weird, because they're otherwise fantastic translations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'd be interested to know how much of Dragon Ball's current western fandom is still kicking due to Team Four Star's efforts.

Though, I suppose, that would be an incredibly tricky thing to quantify.

Im more curious about how many of the audience are the actual kids it's made for, tbh.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
One of the Q&A sessions I saw in the Dragonball volumes had him saying that he pretty much spent all day in the living room drawing the comic with the TV on in the background though, so I'm not sure how much of the series, if any, he was actually slacking off for.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
They were supposed to be starting on that years ago, we heard about Buu Saga Kai being a thing initially from Krillin's Japanese VA saying the show would be direct to DVD, and then a while afterward Kyle Hebert said work was starting on the Buu saga. Then Toriko ended and DBZ Kai got its timeslot back, so presumably we're getting a staggered release so people don't just import our DVDs. DBZ Kai was pretty drat popular on Nicktoons, so it's not like it's not coming eventually.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

tbp posted:

recoome was the first guy in the series I think that was just like indomitably strong

I dunno, Nappa was basically them throwing everything they had at him and it doing less than nothing, since Tien and Chautzu died with their desperation moves doing nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

It actually is a reference, it's just also a japanese turtle pun

Yeah this, they even go "isn't that the name of that Hawaiian king..." in the manga. Supposedly, he wanted "kame" (turtle) in the attack and asked his wife, who gave him King Kamehameha.

This was also the issue where the puff-puff was introduced, which makes it extra funny that she gave him advice.

• Locked thread