Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

How old is he suppose to be? He's born year 757 and the Cell Games occur year 767. He then spent a year in the time chamber so he's 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

Dodoria is one of the biggest jabs the series takes at power levels. He's got a higher power level than vegeta but since he's one of frieza's guards he never fights at all and easily got wrecked by a well trained martial artist like vegeta.

Also being fat probably doesn't help.

She lost cus she's a girl.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I've never ever seen 17 and 18 as teens. They neither act nor look the part.

17 literally wants to go joy riding instead of just flying to Goku's house. They then make a pitstop to get clothes after they beat up Vegeta and the gang for fun.

Kild fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 5, 2014

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

This latest DBM universe somehow has a competent as h*ck Krillen. He kills Vegeta, then solar flares -> destructo disk combos Zarbon

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

WTF is going on with Jeice's head.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blue Star posted:

I think it's their character design more than anything else, though. Something about seeing normal-looking humans with normal-looking (for DBZ) street clothes flying around beating up Super Saiyans just seems wrong.

Just think, originally it was suppose to be a clown and an old man until Toriyamas old Editor said they looked too goofy.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Well Toriyama said that in the most recent interview about Cold and Freeza since Cooler isn't canon.

Goku was much stronger than Freeza when they fought. The anime made them seem more equal but it wasn't the case at all in the manga. Goku wanted to break Freeza and make him feel powerless.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

bowmore posted:

What the gently caress are you guys talking about? Who is Luffy?

One Piece the DBZ of the current era.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Vintimus Prime posted:

Pretty much this. Especially in the original time line (where Goku died of the heart attack) he does defeat Cold and Freezer.

Yeah he probably transformed instant transmissioned in and one shot them both.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

crankdatbatman posted:

I've never seen Cooler's Revenge, but his fifth form kind of irks me. It's established that Freeza's fourth form is his 'true' form, right? Unlike the rest of the villains in DBZ, it's established Freeza's transformations are power downs instead of power ups. So why does Cooler have a fifth form that is more powerful than his fourth? Is he basically a super Cooler in the fifth form? I'm asking because I've never seen it and maybe they explain it in the movie, but that tidbit never really sat well with me since it's a direct contradiction to Freeza's tranformations.

His 5th form is a powerup that no one other than him knew. The CCG says his base form is actually his third form.

Jump stated that he doesn't have lower forms like Frieza and can control his power freely in his base form.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Removing the entire scene where Gohan can't catch an earring even though he is one of the strongest and fastest people I. The world?

At that point he is the strongest in the world and doesn't do crap.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Was Tien the first bad guy who got turned good? I miss reading the original DB where he was a credible threat and the fights were on a different scale. Just the fact he could fly was a huge deal.

Yamcha counts I think.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah Vegeta doesn't let her age.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Didn't the Kienzen not work on Cell?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ChronoReverse posted:

Only in the anime.

You still have Chiaotzu suicide bombing Nappa to no effect.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

DragonBall Kai has Freiza spirit bomb take 1 episode but in the original it was like 5 or 6.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Did anyone watch the new DB Kai episode?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

surf rock posted:

Y'know, why the hell was everyone so insistent on Gohan not getting involved while Spopovich is literally crushing Videl's skull? It's really hosed up, there's zero reason for one of them not to stop it. Were they worried about getting disqualified or something (in the tournament that they don't give a poo poo about anymore)?

The Kai wanted to out Babidi I believe but I've not watched it in forever.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

surf rock posted:

Sure, but didn't it happen before they even knew who the Supreme Kai was? So, that doesn't make any sense.

Supreme Kai was telling them to wait and see IIRC.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Captain Quack posted:

...but Planet Vegeta was destroyed, which means that they would have been brought back just to die again in the vacuum of space

To whom and why Frieza was selling the planets? Why would he need to sell planets to begin with? If he needs money or technology he could just go there and take it. It's not like there would be a Super Saiyan to stop him...

How powerful the Galactic Patrol is?

Bardock's movie showed them all floating out in space. Presumably they can survive.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SirDrone posted:

As silly as it sounds would it of mattered if they all transformed into apes and bombed the poo poo out of frieza's ship?.

DragonBall Multiverse does exactly that IIRC.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I always thought it was disappointing 17 never got revisited in the series. Guy was just so chill about everything, seemed pretty cool. His characterization on DB: Abridged is pretty much exactly what I expect him to be.

Not sure why the Androids were such dicks in Trunks' timeline.

Dr. Gero finished their mindwipe or something.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

WickedHate posted:

They probably met off screen. Goku might have came back for tournaments when Goten was too young to remember, and the two sparred or something. I don't know about in the manga, but in the anime he says "I haven't heard that voice in a long time".

You can only come back once and only for one day.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Esroc posted:

From a certain perspective he's potentially the most powerful enemy they ever faced. As a standard Super Saiyan he's more powerful than SSj2 Gohan in the second Broly movie. The gang is lucky he never surpassed the first Super Saiyan form. An SSj3 (or 4 if you want to include it) Broly would be so mind-bogglingly powerful that he could stomp a mudhole into Buu without a second thought.

Toriyama said Super Saiyan base form is the strongest in that interview linked the other day.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zedd posted:

I always thought he had a special form, like he was the super Sayian and his form is a perpetual motion machine of increasing energy.

Bardock is the sayian of legend.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

g0lbez posted:

I get that Saiyan's are supposed to be dumb evil ruthless fuckheads but even though Goku did bump his head initially he still permanently retained his good side. It would probably make sense that Bardock himself was a bit different since Goku probably inherited his good side genetically.

Yeah even initially Bardock was quoted as caring for his squad. Compared to say Raditz Nappa and Vegeta where they hated on Raditz and Nappa meant nothing to Vegeta.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ElBrak posted:

Didn't a lot of the legend of the Super Saiyan come from Kai, who like got a lot of stuff wrong. From what I remember when he talked about it it showed a Saiyan in monkey form going SSJ and blowing the gently caress out a planet and taking himself with it.

Well that was anime only. Vegeta talked about it all throughout the Namek saga. Which is why DBZ Abridged pokes fun of it.

Kild fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 11, 2014

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Caros posted:

Think you mean Namek saga there. The first mention of a Super Saiyan is at the same time in both the original anime and the manga, its when Goku arrives on Namek. Vegeta is blown away by how much stronger Goku is than even the Ginyu force now, which prompts him to wonder if maybe Goku had become the legendary Super Saiyan.

In the anime its accompanied by the great golden ape that confuses the poo poo out of people and was later referenced for GT, but that is just all filler.

Yeah I typoed :D

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Triskelli posted:

^^Just realized we haven't heard from the Narrator in a long time^^

Seriously? Where is that?

Also, as a guy that never watched the series growing up I had no idea Bojack was an actual character. I can NOT loving wait to see if they do his movie :allears:

Voice spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FETB5URGolM

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

his main stated issue with his dad is how he is never around.

Goku only hasn't been around by choice is the year he spent on Yardrat and later when he doesn't wish to be revived after Cell is defeated.
He died saving the planet and Gohan against Raditz. He drat near died again doing the same thing against Vegeta and was forced to spend time recovering in the hospital.
Gohan insists that he going to Namek instead of Gohan spending time with his Dad after being apart for a year. Then Goku is forced to travel to Namek and drat near dies again to rescue Gohan and friends. He selfishly stays on Yardrat for unexplained reasons (learning instant transmission?) for a year.
After returning he spends 3 years with Gohan and additional year in the time chamber before he dies once again to save Gohan and the planet. Cell is defeated and he declines to be resurrected because he felt like he was the reason everything bad was happening to Earth and this was the best way to protect it.

Kild fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 15, 2014

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Yes actual Goku is not that bad of a dad. I'm not really sure why you think we're talking about him when I'm talking about the Abridged series, though.

I wasn't aware Abridged Goku took an extended vacation somewhere in the timeline? I'm not really sure why you think everything I said doesn't apply to DBZA Goku. He's still there in Abridged. He's just a lovely dad.

Kild fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 15, 2014

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rudoku posted:

You guys forgot about the first (second) Dragon Ball opening back when it and Sailor Moon were the only anime game in town? And like Rock the Dragon, it's full of clips from random movies and what looks like a Dragon Quest enemy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHIv69nbTfI

Wasn't that played in DBZA during the Fake Namek episode?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Glagha posted:

He took time off from DOTA?

It's why Navi has been in a slump...

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

crikster posted:

I'm watching the original remastered. I just finished that 10 hour Freeza battle in season 3, and when it ended, it felt like it was ME that beat Freeza just by having forced myself to pay attention for 2 days. King Kai would say, "Oh no Goku, the planet is going to blow up in 5 minutes!" Then several episodes later, "Oh no, 1 more minute Goku!" Then another hour of watching. On the other hand I thought all the episodes were good for the most part. I especially liked when Goku fell off snake way and raced the Goblins in hell.

For an example: DBZ had Goku charge up the spirit bomb for something like 10 episodes when it was only 2 in Kai.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Maybe recovering from high cholesterol based heart failure will make him smarter.

It's no weirder than training in 100x gravity letting him read Krillin's mind.

Speaking of which, where's Vegeta's telepathy? Dude trained in 500x gravity.

Vegeta doesn't know how to read.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

dr.acula posted:

When was this brought up? I consider myself a huge dbz sperg and ive never seen this mentioned.

It is in some Databook.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Even Yamcha was a match for Goku when he was first introduced.

Didn't Goku not have food for like 3 days when they fought?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

crankdatbatman posted:

Going to have to disagree here. Krillin gets more love than Tien in the manga because Krillin is and always was more of a central character than Tien. Even in the manga Krillin is never on Tien's level. Tien is easily the number 2 guy at the end of Dragon Ball and is pretty much considered on Piccolo's level before Piccolo's Kami power up (they at least get their rear end kicked by the androids with about the same effort). Yeah Tien might have a bullshit move, but Toriyama paints him as more powerful than Krillin all throughout the manga, he's just not as present as Krillin.

Theres no way Tien is even close to Nail fused Piccolo.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

crankdatbatman posted:

There's nothing to say he isn't, and it's been years since Piccolo fused with Nail. Granted this is rapidly becoming another power levels are bullshit argument.

Training for 3 years with Chiaotzu doesn't really seem all that useful and I doubt it makes you go from Guldo levels to 2nd Form Frieza or higher levels especially as a Human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rudoku posted:

Wasn't it an educational game in Japan? All I remember was that it was on something called the Playdia (love the name).

Those were the sequels. The original was an RPG on the NES.

• Locked thread