Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Ugh. Episode of Bardock was the first time I was completely disgusted by something Dragonball. And that's taking GT into account. Pass.

Bardock's story was told. Now they're entering fanfiction territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

OG Freeza's voice had that androgynous air to it. Like here's the universe's greatest threat and he sounds like a bored grandma (if he is even a He to begin with). I appreciated that he didn't sound like a booming threat.

But I also liked OG Vegeta's higher pitch, so...

They established in either DB Heroes or DB Online that females of Freeza's race (I'm of the opinion that they're Arcosians) have a distinctly feminine visual style. So it's safe to say Freeza is male.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The real question is, of all the planets, why did Freeza allow Freeza Planet 419 to stay?

Maybe it's impossible to really destroy a race that can always see you coming. Freeza, with his ego that rivals Vegeta's in magnitude, would be so murderously annoyed by that that he'd have to avoid them just to keep himself from going insane with rage.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Zonekeeper posted:

I'd say it's a guarantee that the other Kame House residents live in fear of 18. Even after she chills out post-Cell saga she seems like the type that wouldn't hesitate to end anyone who so much as looks at her little girl the wrong way.

It really is :unsmith: that Krillin managed to get the biggest catch of a wife in the world. Guy deserved it after all the poo poo he takes over the course of the series.

I can't help but wonder how TFS is going to handle that. I hope they flesh it out more than the actual series where he just kind of shows up married to her.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Pft, that's nothing. This is supposed to be a 13-year-old

It's even more offputting in GT where Goku is maybe 3/4 as tall as Pan and she's only supposed to be 10 or so.

I was very confused about DB Goku's age for a very long time.

I thought that was all explained as full-blooded Saiyan's aging slower than humans or half-breeds? A 13 year old Saiyan has the body of a toddler, a 25 year old Saiyan looks like he just hit puberty, and a 60 year old Saiyan looks like a college kid with a steroid habit.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

WhiffleballDude posted:

Cooler happens after Goku gets back to Earth but Goku somehow didn't know how to activate Super Saiyan at will yet, which he states he had already done by the time he left Yardrat to go home. Also Gohan has a tail for some reason.

Bojack fits, Wrath of the Dragon fits (although Goku is somehow stronger than Gohan post-Kai powerup in this one which is total bullshit), and you can make an argument for the first two Broly movies because of the 10 day wait for the Cell Games and the couple of weeks Gohan takes off from school to train for the tournament, but that's kind of a stretch.

I didn't get the impression that Goku couldn't change at will in the first Cooler movie. Just that he held off on transforming until Cooler really pissed him off.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

tsob posted:

Well, he could travel back to the normal timeline, speak with Goku and either get the location from him or just learn instant transmission if Goku was feeling generous and then go back to his own time to use that knowledge.

Well if you want to go that route then having a time machine means Future Trunks could do quite literally anything. But like most media involving time travel the characters always seem to forget they have that power whenever it's convenient to the plot.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Trunks say that what ever he does when he goes back in time, won't have any effect on his timeline? What's the point then? His world is still gonna be hosed?

Yeah. If he changes the past is just creates an alternate timeline. He only keeps returning to the "main" timeline to spend time with Vegeta, and to a lesser extent, the gang as a whole. And to possibly find a way to kill the Androids there that can be used in his own timeline. Which his power-ups leading up to the Cell Games gave him a way to do that.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I loved the entire fight between Goku and Kid Buu. It was beautifully animated and really showcased the idea of two god-like beings going at each other.

That was a big reason why I was so disappointed with Goku versus Bills. The fight with Kid Buu really showcased what happens when two beings capable of bench-pressing planets fight, but Goku versus Bills was really toned down in comparison.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 8, 2014

Esroc
May 31, 2010

carry on then posted:

I think he meant the other "boss fights" (that term applies so well) where Gohan had brief moments of overpowering Raditz/Frieza/whoever.

Personally, I think it would have been interesting to have Gohan, not Goku, turn Super Saiyan after Piccolo was wounded and Krillin killed. Would have changed the dynamic of the next few sagas to have their most powerful fighter be their most reluctant.

I wouldn't be surprised of Toriyama considered just that at one point or another. It's very well known that he was sick of Goku and tried his damnedest to pass the reins over to Gohan at various points in the series.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I thought everyone had already gone level 2 with all the awe "level beyond a super sayian?" and then I was like oh a new level when future Trunks went beyond by bulking up, so when Gohan went beyond those levels it was like uh cool so he's a... forth level super sayian... that's sorta underwhelming.

the lesson is don't let goku come up with your naming scheme. drat, vegeta take a stand

In their defense the bulky forms weren't new transformations. Just "Maximum Power" versions of the original SSj. Much akin to Freiza's "Maximum Power" where he also bulked up like the Hulk. SSj2 is actually a whole new form in and of itself and theoretically also has a bulked up version. As does SSj3, theoretically.

In fact that's always been my theory on Broly's power. He's a "Maximum Power" SSj/SSj2, just he somehow overcame the speed hit that comes with having muscles with their own muscles.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Oh, I'm not bashing the universe expanding, if anything more series' should do it. It's just unfortunate that the the one time DBZ explores these radical concepts(outside of What Ifs) it's:

The fanfic thing wasn't meant to be derogatory. Heroes is really using every bit of clay they have to make a marvelous statue, but I'm skeptical that they'd be able to do that in a series or movie or whatever, and that dismays me.

With how much animation they've pumped out to promote Heroes I'm surprised they haven't made some kind of special for it. I mean the animated trailers and what not total up to almost a full episode of footage at this point already.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Eh, I found it to be a weak episode to be honest. In fact the entire Android arc has been pretty disappointing. It seems to me that TFS blew their load on the Freeza Saga, which was amazing, and are going to be hard-pressed to get that level of quality back.

Hopefully Cell will be a return to form. I remember the Android arc in the actual series was boring as hell also, so maybe they just don't have much to work with right now.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

Also, he had Cold with him, and while it isn't clear who is stronger (there's conflicting info) he was still a Freeza-level fighter and that's a challenge to Goku for sure.

Wasn't there some sort of info stating that Freeza and Cooler were mutants of some kind and thus stronger than other members of their race? Or am I making that up? (Or did the mutation also apply to Cold?)

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I've always looked at it that Freeza's race doesn't have a "natural" or "true" form. Rather they mutate across a spectrum based on what it needed in a given scenario or environment. Meaning numbering their forms one through final wouldn't be entirely necessary. If that is the case then it's not weird that Cooler had a form beyond Freeza's "final" form and that form likely isn't even the "final" form of their race. They may not even have a "final" form. They aren't transformations like the Super Saiyan, they're mutations to adapt to higher and lower power levels.

That's just my head-canon though. I think way too hard about this sort of thing.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

VJeff posted:

So does that mean Cooler was the most badass one in his family? He certainly seemed capable of putting up more of a fight against Goku than his dad or brother did against Trunks. :v:

Nah. If anything, before his robot upgrade, Cooler was weaker than Freeza. Even in his new form. Regardless of what official literature claims.

The series established that Freeza's 4th form at 100% power, while still no real match against a Super Saiyan, could still at least put up a fight. Cooler in his own 4th form fought Base Goku to a draw and had to transform to a new 5th form to gain the upper hand. But then Goku goes SSj and just destroys him.

Even if we accept that Goku was just messing around during the 100% 4th Form Freeza fight, and could have ended Freeza anytime he wanted, that still places Cooler's 5th form roughly in the same league as Freeza's 4th.

Thus, based on what we actually witness in the show and movie, at best Cooler is equal to 4th Form Freeza while using his 5th Form. Meaning he had to "discover a new form" just to match Freeza. And even then some evidence suggests Freeza still had the edge. This is based on what is actually seen, not what is claimed via dialogue.

In the end, it's pretty obvious to me that Freeza was stronger and if he had achieved his own 5th Form he'd of walked all over Cooler like it wasn't no thang.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 16, 2014

Esroc
May 31, 2010

All this DB talk makes me ashamed that I've never seen it. DBZ is in my top five favorite media franchises ever. But I've haven't seen more than two episodes of the original Dragonball.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I'm really not feeling the Androids. TFS' Freeza was just such an absolutely perfect villain that the 'droids are kind of a letdown in comparison. I really hope Cell delivers.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

FallenGod posted:

Good thing their youtube channel has a new video. A video that tells us to watch their latest video on another site instead. A site that alternates between not being able to load the video or desyncing and making GBS threads itself trying to play what little it can load.

Yeah, I'll be able to watch this free video sometime later and this is a minor thing to whine about. But just put the thing on youtube in the first place maybe. :shrug:

They also have the new site set up where I can't download the episodes as .mp4's anymore. Which, I get it. They want you to always watch them on the site to generate views and ad revenue. But I can't buy a DVD of the series so..

Esroc
May 31, 2010

bowmore posted:

It looks great, any idea on a release date?

It's not "real". At least not in the sense that it's an actual game being made. It's more of an ad for that guys custom MUGEN characters. You can go to his website and download the characters for use with your own MUGEN game (and I've seen his characters on Saltybet a few times). But he isn't making a MUGEN Dragonball game himself. Just the characters and a couple stages.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I hate to sperg about something created by the author himself, but dammit he got his own universe all wrong.

Saiyans don't give two shits about their kids. Both Bardock and Gine were way too mushy. And he blatantly ripped off Superman even though Goku's original origin, while similar, was different enough to stand on its own. But now its a carbon copy.

I'm so mad about Dragonball.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 9, 2014

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Well you could say that's because living on Earth has an effect on him.

But you're still correct, sometimes I forget that the Bardock special was anime only and thus non-canon. And I'm basing my statements on that. So, if you disregard the special then this new information doesn't contradict anything to my knowledge.

Still, I liked my Saiyans to be fight-obsessed assholes who didn't have any use for emotions that didn't directly benefit fighting. Not doting parents.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

StrifeHira posted:

So the Dragon Ball Heroes avatars got their new designs all set up.

I dig Genome's (Cell lookalike) wing/scarf/cape thing, kinda Gargoyles-ish.
Also hey the SS3 designs for the girls.

Some of those are pretty cool, but most of them are overdesigned to hell and back. Especially those Arcosians. It's the post Red/Blue Pokémon all over again.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Yeah, the more I look at them the more I like them. I think it's mostly the Arcosians that rub me the wrong way. Too many random spikes and doo-dads. One of the best things about Freeza was how simple, yet effective, his design was (except that awful third form, which fits in with these new guys).

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Brony Hunter posted:

I think the best filler episodes are the ones were the cast just hangs out and do normal things despite being weird and superhuman and alien and wacky. I mean, who DOESN'T love the "Goku and Piccolo Drive Cars" episode?

Some of my favorite episodes were the ones during the intermission before the Cell Games, with Goku and Gohan just doing normal everyday things while being Super Saiyans and breaking poo poo by accident.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Except for the part where he vaporizes a ton of people in front of his son and goes EEEEEEVIL and all.

Eh, you can honestly handwave that away via the fact that death in DBZ has no real meaning and the characters are well aware of that. Either you a) get wished back to life or b) go to live in an awesome otherworld. It was still a dick move on Veggies part, but he could easily have been counting on the gang to wish everyone back after the dust settled.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

It makes sense that they'd put up with Vegeta. Until Gohan's Mystic upgrade and his brief tenure as the only SSj2, Vegeta was consistently the second strongest character next to Goku. But Goku was, more often than not, absent. So it would behoove the rest of the gang to stay on Vegeta's good side since for the most part he could end all of them. And Goku isn't going to fight Vegeta without a good reason (And even then, Goku likely wouldn't kill him).

So long as Vegeta didn't go on murderous rampages it was in the best interests of everybody to deal with his presence throughout most of the series.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I know it's not the most popular, but I loved the first Broly movie. Broly was legit scary to young me and I enjoyed how he didn't fight so much as brawl. And the animation was some of the best the movies had to offer.

Speaking of which, hasn't TFS mostly released their version of the movies at around the same time in the series as the original movies were? Shouldn't the second Cooler film be coming up soon-ish?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Shindragon posted:

The problem with Broly is goddamn does it drag. WE get it he's nearly unstoppable.

From a certain perspective he's potentially the most powerful enemy they ever faced. As a standard Super Saiyan he's more powerful than SSj2 Gohan in the second Broly movie. The gang is lucky he never surpassed the first Super Saiyan form. An SSj3 (or 4 if you want to include it) Broly would be so mind-bogglingly powerful that he could stomp a mudhole into Buu without a second thought.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Kild posted:

Toriyama said Super Saiyan base form is the strongest in that interview linked the other day.

Yeah, but that's stupid and shits all over everything he established prior. I get that he's the creator and what he says goes, but lately he's been making absolutely stupid decisions as to what direction to take the franchise in. His past few announcements and even parts of Battle of Gods are a perfect example of what happens when a creator steps away from his creation then tries to jump right back in two decades later. He's lost touch with his own creation.

I mean, I'm still going to buy it all like a good little fanboy. But that don't mean I can't bitch about it at the same time.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

g0lbez posted:

What was wrong with Battle of Gods?

The use of CG for the fights scenes was lazy. Super Saiyan God was silly, made no sense within established canon, and was also a lazy design. Overall it was just all around lazy. I enjoyed parts of it. Beerus was awesome and Vegeta finally had a moment to shine. And the comedy was top notch. But Toriyama phoned it in for various aspects and it shows.

All in all I'm getting a real Star Wars prequel trilogy vibe out of the material Toriyama has published and discussed in recent years. He's trying to revive his creation either for recognition or money (hint: it's money) but has completely forgotten what made the original great.

And much like Lucas being reigned in by other people during the Original Trilogy then being cut loose for the Prequels, Toriyama was kept in control by his editors during DBZ but has now been set loose for this new stuff. There's a lot of parallels happening here and they make me worried about where this franchise is heading.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 10, 2014

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Toriyama is nothing like Lucas. Everything he's been doing with the universe has been expanding it. He's actually trying to make you feel like there's more than just earth, namek, and planet vegeta in the universe. Galaxy police, expanded explanation of the kais/gods of destruction, admitting the existence of parallel universes(which in its own way allows for whatever weird rear end fanfiction out there), and he's trying to tone down the excessive power level craziness. Sucks to lose SSJ2, but I'm okay with the move. Toriyama took some time away from things, but he's come back and torn down a few walls to add a ton of new rooms. It's great.

Expanding the world was a great move on his part, I agree. The whole multi-verse and Gods of Destruction angle is brilliant and could make for some amazing storylines if he decides to continue. But he's still making a lot of missteps in my opinion. And the " excessive power-level craziness" is one of the chief draws of the franchise. We all tuned in as kids to see how ridiculous the next Big Bad was going to be. Constantly escalating from warriors, to planet crackers, to galaxy enders, to literal Gods. That's the entire point of the show.

My chief complaints are Super Saiyan God, his dumping of transformations entirely (which is another one of the biggest draws of the entire show), and his retconning of established canon. SSj God was silly. Saiyans already have the Legendary Super Saiyan as their chief mythological figure that turned out to be real. But wait! They also have a second Legendary Super Saiyan that they called "God" which was conveniently never mentioned before, apes (ha!) the entire concept of the original Super Saiyan, and exists for no reason other than to be a deus ex machina to use against Beerus. A new canon version of SSj4 would have made sense. SSj God does not. And the whole "needs a handful of pure-hearted Saiyans to create and oh! look at that! We just so happen to have the exact number of Saiyans we need to create it!" was lazy as hell writing. Plus the visual design of SSj God was also ridiculously lazy.

Then he goes even further with making GBS threads on his own canon by retconning Bardock as a dutiful father and the Saiyans as kind-hearted warriors. The entire point of the Saiyans and Goku's journey was that they were evil and sadistic but Goku had rejected his lineage and thus surpassed his own ancestors in doing so. This also applies to Vegeta who didn't discover true power until he had rejected his own Saiyan instincts in favor of human ones. Not to mention that that entire manga one-shot is Superman's origin verbatim but with Bardock, Gine, and Kakarot in place of Jor-El, Lara Lor-Van, and Kal-El. Goku was already a Superman analog but Toriyama went and turned him into a drat clone.

And don't even get me started on Super Saiyan Bardock.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 10, 2014

Esroc
May 31, 2010

WickedHate posted:

I agree that the Saiyan's not being as evil is dumb, and agree with everything else you said, but Goku had brain damage. He didn't really overcome his nature on his own.

True, but it still falls in line with the concept that a Saiyan can't reach his true potential unless he gives up his selfish ways. Be it on purpose or accidentally. The entire concept hinges on the idea that Saiyans are in their own way so far as progress is concerned due to their selfish and evil nature.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

WickedHate posted:

You know, there's actually a similar concept at play in Buffy. Angel is evil and a witch curses him to regain his soul, but then Spike, through great effort, chooses to get his soul back. It's kinda like that with Goku and Vegeta.

Good point. And I always felt Spike was the more noble of the two because he chose his soul rather than had it hoisted upon him. The same can be applied to Goku and Vegeta. Goku had his life handed to him. Vegeta had to work for it and redeem himself.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

...When did this happen? Are you talking about Majin Vegeta?

Vegeta fought Beerus to a standstill after Beerus had schooled literally every other character.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

StrifeHira posted:

You do know Super Saiyan Bardock was from a Cardgame tie-in, right? It's about as "canon" as Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta or Broly. He got that manga special, which then got animated, purely as advertising for Dragon Ball Heroes. It doesn't really change anything about the established canon, and at most you could see it as an Alternate Universe/Timeline thing, or even work some tie-in to Dragon Ball Online (which a Bardock was "rescued" by the main villain and mind controlled into being the Saiyan Saga final boss for players, eventually breaking free and getting caught up in the Time Patrol shenanigans).

Oh, I didn't know that. But the rest of my rant still stands.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Snowcow posted:

Reestablishing Goku as the Legendary Super Saiyan instead of Brolly is a good thing in my opinion and I don't blame Toriyama for doing it.

Broly was never the LSSj. The LSSj was a separate being who presumably existed even before the appropriation of Planet Plant. Broly merely shared characteristics with the LSSj and thus gained that as a nickname.

But that doesn't change the fact that the LSSj and the original SSj God share a nearly identical origin and story. In fact, I could forgive Toriyama if he linked them someday down the line and did make them the same character. That would at least plug up a few plot holes and make the SSJ God not seem so out of left field.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 11, 2014

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I like ssj God being the same as legendary ssj, since that means Vegeta's ramblings to Frieza never came true, even when Goku actually went ssj. In fact, that's loving hilarious.

It would be a very interesting development from a world-building standpoint. The entire Super Saiyan legend is about the SSj God but Vegeta got it all wrong and all the Super Saiyans in DBZ until Goku fought Beerus weren't really full Super Saiyans at all and merely bastardizations of it. I'd bow to Toriyama if he went this route.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Snowcow posted:

In practice most people seem to consider him to be the LSSJ.

Nobody who actually paid attention considers him to literally be the LSSj. Though I don't blame anyone for not paying close attention to the intricate canon of a punchman's anime for children. But I digress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Considering that they established in the Saiyan Saga that aliens were a new thing on Earth (as far as they knew, anyways) you'd think Vegeta and the Briefs could use that to make some serious cash. Especially considering that they used Saiyan tech to build a ship capable of travelling across the Galaxy in a few days. It always bugged me that they had this tech and didn't use it to, you know, advance humanity in any way.

• Locked thread