Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ha, that Wrong Time comic is actually pretty neat. Will be interesting to see where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I really liked how Kai turned out, voice-wise. The retranslation probably helped, but both Freeza and Cell had more personality this time around.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

This is doing it justice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyYrkc1zGn4

"Absolutely livid" at 8:38, unfortunately they didn't get "give me some ideas"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I always liked the progression as Freeza's dry wit crashes headlong into Goku's childlike stupidity. It's almost exactly what happens when an experienced chess player goes from an intermediate player and handily beating them to a complete newbie who wins by incomprehensible playing.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Yeah, characters never really looked as young as they were. Cell Games Gohan looks, aside from height, at least 4 years older than he actually is; I think Future Trunks is only supposed to be about 16 or 17 years old at that time, isn't he?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

e: nevermind

carry on then fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 6, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

As a kid, Gohan vs Cell was amazing, at least up until everything goes south. Recently I did watch Goku vs Cell and really came to admire the pacing and animation of that segment.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Actually, a neat one of those was (Future) Trunks vs Tien in the Bojack movie.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

SirDrone posted:

I liked when SSJ Trunks fought Perfect Cell, sure he was physically stronger but it didn't matter if he couldn't hit Cell. Why Trunks and Vegeta didn't go back and train before the cell games for a rematch beats me.

They did go back into the time chamber individually during the 10 days, but I think they both knew it wasn't enough and they'd need a game changer.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

tsob posted:

Maybe they get wi-fi in there. Wouldn't be so bad if they did. Hell, wouldn't even be that different for some people.

Well the slow down factor means you'd be better off with dialup in the real world :v:

Also they definitely should have dealt more with the whole "being a year older" especially with Gohan, who spent 10% of his life up to that point in some white void.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Parrotine posted:

The cell games WAS the payoff though; every fight up to then was the build-up to that moment.

Everybody else is trading full-bodied slugs with Cell with no success, and Gohan just up and chumps him with two punches so hard it causes him to throw up an android

It was so graceful and perfect. Poetry in motion for my junior high self.

I think he meant the other "boss fights" (that term applies so well) where Gohan had brief moments of overpowering Raditz/Frieza/whoever.

Personally, I think it would have been interesting to have Gohan, not Goku, turn Super Saiyan after Piccolo was wounded and Krillin killed. Would have changed the dynamic of the next few sagas to have their most powerful fighter be their most reluctant.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I think Frieza was the height of the stretched out battles, what with 5 minutes apparently lasting multiple hours worth of show. While Mr. Satan is great, the Cell Games could have done with a lot fewer cuts to the humans cowering behind a rock.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

bowmore posted:

Deadzone training is brutal I imagine, helps that he is immortal for recovery time too I guess

Also I'd be happy to cut out the cell games entirely except perfect cell vs goku

I'm sorry, eleven-year-old me would like the record to show that super saiyan 2 Gohan is Rad As Hell.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Prison Warden posted:

I think the implication was that Vegeta conceived of the technique too, same as Goku, it's just that like Goku, he just instantly knew that it wouldn't work, whereas Trunks went along with it.

Although why he didn't try the whole "be Super Saiyan all the time" for his second year in the time chamber I'll never figure out.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

That's one of the issues with this series, you can never really be sure who's going how hard and when. Goku took his time killing Frieza after transforming but was that because Frieza could still hold his own or because Goku was trying to send a message without actually killing him? Trunks tried to get past Goku's one finger but how hard was he really trying? The only way the show ever indicates is when another character mentions the fact, either their opponent or a bystander.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Yeah, but this series is just full of instances of someone not taking some initiative and using all their extreme power to end a fight immediately, they always hold back and toy with their opponent until they do something desperate like blow up a planet.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Knew he couldn't, but wanted to a) give Gohan an idea how Cell would fight, and b) oblige everyone who thought he was their best hope.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Seconding Bojack being enjoyable mostly because I was supremely disappointed they never did a saga with teen Gohan as strongest fighter, so outside of the Cell Games it's the only time he goes SS2 (of course it's only for about five minutes but I'll take what I can get.)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Yeah, I guess I meant teen Gohan specifically, or more precisely Gohan when he was the best fighter. All the other stuff he appears in when he's that age he barely does anything of note.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Mister Roboto posted:

I wish Toriyama had come up with something different for the SSJ-SS2 thing beyond just random electricity. Like, I don't know, make the entire aura electrical, or make it a different color than yellow, or make it seep into their eyes or something, just anything other than things that are easily missed in the frenetic animation.

Yeah, the difference is minor. I'm not sure if that's because it was originally intended to be an endgame or what, but it's pretty nondescript. Even in the Cell Games, Gohan will go entire shots without actually arcing. Although I guess if I was commanding so much energy it was randomly shooting arcs of electricity around me I wouldn't complain :v:.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Mordaedil posted:

Goku with Aladdin's facial expressions is making me cry from laughing too much.

This makes me think of the dragon breaking into a rousing rendition of "Friend Like Me" when summoned.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Yeah, it probably worked on King Dog as well.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Still waiting for the Dragon to sing Friend Like Me, Team Four Star.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Seriously, Kai would be best. It's a Director's Cut, and since you don't have any nostalgic attachment to any of the other runs (like I do with the Faulconer soundtrack in the US dub) you are far, far better off going with Kai.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Away all Goats posted:

Are we allowed to talk about video games here?

I remember playing the Budokai Tenkaichi games in the past as a teen and loved it. So far the only game that really captured the fast, explosive and destructive fights in the series. I was really getting a hankering to play it again but it would require buying a PS2.

That said, I noticed there were sequels called Raging Blast for the PS3, and having checked out some videos, I gotta say, I'm not impressed. It looks like a cheap knockoff despite being a generation older.

So for those who have played: Is the Raging Blast series of games any good? Are there any DBZ games you would recommend?

I've enjoyed Battle of Z well enough.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I just think they were a bit smarter about it, really. I mean, their best fighter almost died because he was stuck on a decaying planet. And in the Cell saga, you can't really compare anything except the Cell games with Frieza's final form since no one was truly desperate until then (and Cell did try to blow up the planet, but this time something could be done to prevent it.)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I have the Vita version and it's decent to play; I've beaten Vegeta and it's pretty fun if a bit button mashy (or maybe I just don't know how to play it right.) Runs fine and I generally like it although I got it when it was on sale at launch.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

They have a bad situation though, since the actual show right now is pretty much the same "some minor things are happening that will be important later but overall we're just waiting for Goku to wake up." Everyone's in hiding, basically, and I'm sure it'll pick right back up once the various factions start interacting again.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

And you even used the glorious nipponese number.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Every day I await the return of "clothes beam!"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Esroc posted:

It makes sense that they'd put up with Vegeta. Until Gohan's Mystic upgrade and his brief tenure as the only SSj2, Vegeta was consistently the second strongest character next to Goku. But Goku was, more often than not, absent. So it would behoove the rest of the gang to stay on Vegeta's good side since for the most part he could end all of them. And Goku isn't going to fight Vegeta without a good reason (And even then, Goku likely wouldn't kill him).

So long as Vegeta didn't go on murderous rampages it was in the best interests of everybody to deal with his presence throughout most of the series.

See, this is why I'm disappointed they didn't do a saga with Teen (Cell Games) Gohan. For once the most powerful fighter was someone who doesn't want to fight, and there could have been some interesting standoff as Gohan's hesitant, Vegeta's off moping, and etc. it would probably just end like Bojack did, though, with nobody being able to function until Goku makes some move.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I don't know about YuGiOh, but I know TFS had some major problems with takedown requests throughout the first season. I think they finally got episode 1 put back on their account sometime last year. So I can see why they're taking every precaution to emphasize the parody nature of the series and avoid any more issues.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I'm still excited for both Super Saiyan transformations Gohan will do and so annoyed at how much more content there is to cover before then.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sounded the same to me. In fact, I noticed the opposite: the show started drawing him a bit taller in these episodes and they haven't really made the voice any deeper. Although it's not like his voice changed all that much in the show, even after the Time Chamber.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Well, he did finally join in the Saiyan tradition of completely screwing the pooch right when he could have finished the fight.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Cheapsteaks posted:

Japan loves them some brass heavy trumpet music battle music, that's for sure.

The Pokemon Ruby soundtrack confirms this.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

To me it seemed more fitting than the trumpets, but I just watched it on Toonami as a kid, I don't have a true appreciation for the work as intended by the artists I guess.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

hey team four star, you've done well so far but I think you'll gently caress everything up unless you start doing everything I say from here on out

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

And then in DBZA, not only does he do it on his own, he's sassing Frieza the entire time. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Some Numbers posted:

I definitely remember that transformation taking forever. I was really surprised a few years later when the transformation was basically instantaneous in the manga.

Just went and checked, it looks like it pretty much takes the first half of the episode, but then immediately cuts away to Gohan's own transformation scene which takes the other half, with about 3 minutes of Perfect Cell thrown in at the end. Actually kind of an interesting parallel, but yeah, almost nothing of Perfect Cell until NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL Z.

• Locked thread