Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, I remember that and that was legitimately cool, but it was cool precisely because Tien didn't have a loving prayer of actually beating Cell. I'm talking about straight up beating somebody.

Mr. Satan defeated Buu*

*With the power of friendship :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Shinjobi posted:

Faulconer sucks, but not because of the music he made. Altogether his stuff is okay; I can live with it. No, his biggest issue was how his music was mixed in an episode. Go watch the death of Perfect Cell again. Vegeta's theme is playing as Gohan launches his last push, and wins the battle. It's fan-loving-tastic stuff. As soon as Cell begins to fall apart though, the music abruptly shifts to some janky, slower paced poo poo that ruins the whole God damned scene.

Faulconer was serviceable, but the way his songs were utilized was not. Not at all.

To be fair, not everything is up to the composer. When Taku Iwasaki was working on the score for Part Two of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure he was so frustrated with how slapdash and haphazardly his tracks were inserted into the episodes that he apparently said he wanted to leave the industry altogether over it.

Then again sometimes it is up to the composer, and the composer just has a shoddy sense of timing or seems to be allergic to silence.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Zorblack posted:

This is a few pages back, but in the misty days of my past (high school at the dawn of the millenium and 56k internet was as fast as it got, so our information was all filtered through early internet bullshit and only hearing it secondhand from the nerd who actually had a dial-up connection) I heard something about saiyan genes actually getting stronger by generation even if diluted by human genes. Also something-something a saiyan who has achieved ssj and then has kids will pass on even more power, which is why Gohan achieved ssj in his early teens and Goten was a ssj practically after getting out of diapers.

Was this all just whispered nonsense rumors or are there any canon links to this hearsay?

I don't even remember where I heard it first either, but 12/13-year-old me was definitely under the impression that Saiyan genes were like homeopathic medicine and got more powerful the more diluted they were.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I never saw the Android or the Cell sagas back when DBZ was on TV. Or most of the start of the Buu saga. Weirdly, the first episode of DBZ I remember seeing was Vegeta vs Pui Pui. Or maybe the Goku vs Pikkon filler episode.

DBZ was really jumbled up to me.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Spiritus Nox posted:

King Kai, the Doctor, and a Krogan making an appearance in the crowd in the new DBM. I approve.

It looks like Edward Elric sitting behind the Krogan as well. I'm not sure why but hey, cool.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeah, the more I think about it the more likely it seems that they're pulling a bait-and-switch. Maybe not a bad one, Good Frieza would be hilariously awesome (especially if he was powered up to at least be on, like, Piccolo's level), but it seems odd to have him be a serious threat to the protagonists again after being completely chumped the second time around.

e: I can totally picture him waking up, realizing his empire no longer exists except for a few random assholes and arguably Vegeta, and just being like "you know what, gently caress it" and becoming one of the Kame House crew.

I want a movie about Frieza being the universe's worst roommate.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Thyrork posted:

I think thats the fairest thing i've seen written about Faulconer's work. Good, but used poorly.

I wonder whos to blame for that. :raise: No, really, does the artist get to decide how its used in the pacing? That's got to be someone elses job right?

I think usually it's up to the director? Composers won't often be given video to work with and be told, "here, do whatever", the director will say, "I want a cue here, and a cue here, and I want the mood to change here..."

So when Faulconer came in to make music for an episode the director probably just told him "I need there to be background music ALL THE TIME!" and Faulconer was like "Okay" because that's his job.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Testekill posted:

Goku is not a fan of the blue people.

Chi Chi took him out to see Blue Man Group one night. It was a disaster.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Why would Goku and Superman fight each other though?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Rhonne posted:

You could just shorten that one to Mary Buu. Or Mary Bue.

Cindy-Lou Buu

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

StrifeHira posted:

Speaking of,

Grunkle Piccolo is still one of my favorite movie tidbits. :3:

Dammit, now you've got me picturing Piccolo as Grunkle Stan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p91EYl8yCI
Now imagine this scene except with Piccolo and Gohan.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

WickedHate posted:

Dr. Gero made two teenagers into threats way stronger then Freeza. Gotta give the guy some credit.

He also put his own brain in a robot body. Although Dr. Wheelo did that first...

Well, getting the brain out was the easy part. The hard part was getting the brain out.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Maybe at some point between the series and Battle of the Gods Dende reworked Shenron so that he'd only grant three wishes to Goku and Co. Sort of like frequent-flier miles.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know who else thought it was really cool to be blonde haired and blue eyed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBudU8BiQw4

I dunno how Funimation got away with showing this in the USA. It's pretty funny but HOLY poo poo is it offensive.

On the contrary, cartoon characters beating up Hitler is an American tradition.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I wonder if King PIccolo would have been a competent ruler, outside of the mass destruction lottery. For all we know Dog King was useless, maybe they really would have turned around on Piccolo and he'd be satisfied with the praise of the people.

One of his first actions as ruler was making all crime legal and then making it illegal to say words like "peace" or "justice"

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Xibanya posted:

That reminds me of the part of Dragonball that I find the most unsettling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7jUeIn_-EI

:stare:

However, it gave us the line "How Buu supposed to live up to body image in magazines?", which I honestly think is one of the funnier things to come out of the Buu saga.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Philosopher King posted:

This won't happen but I want Beerus to be voiced by the guy who does the voice of the Robot Devil from futurama. With the same tone and inflection.

I watched the English dub of Battle of the Gods a few months ago and IIRC Beerus actually did sound quite a lot like the Robot Devil to me, although it obviously wasn't the same voice.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Neo_Crimson posted:

It seriously does. Watch the Episode Breakdowns and get a glimpse of how much work goes into just editing.

I was at a con at Team Fourstar and they were talking about how Takahata and Antfish argued for over an hour on whether one joke was going to work or not. And this was a for an auxiliary project, not even DBZA. It's absolutely insane how much thought they put into every aspect of the show.

DBZA is the Venture Bros of YouTube series.

Be grateful we're not waiting two years between seasons :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Squallege posted:

So in better news Resurrection of F is doing really well in theaters beating Howl's Moving Castle and other Ghibli films. Funimation is reportedly extending the theatrical run too
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=anime.htm

The theater was packed when I saw it yesterday and when I was handing my ticket stub to the usher earler, she commented on how surprised she was that this little foreign movie was attracting such a large audience.

I also ran into a guy who had a shirt with Shrek as Vegeta and "It's Ogre 9000" written on it. At first I thought it was gauche, but then I realized that if I had that shirt, I'd definitely wear while seeing a Dragonball Z movie in theaters.

But nowhere else.

• Locked thread