Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just as a reminder, today is the release of Dragon Ball Z Battle of Z for PS3, Vita, and 360 in North America. It's the newest DBZ game and its big feature is you're able to have a team of up to 4 people and this team can consist of any character. These characters including 4 Gokus (All different forms), Freezas, Cells, etc. It's also going to feature Bills and Whis from the new movie, so if you want to get a hear of their English voices for whenever Funimation dubs the movie, it'll be there. There's a demo out if you want to give it a shot, it's basically like the Tenkaichi/Raging Blast games in that's a 3D style, although it's presented more as a beat 'em up style game than a fighting one. It's okay from what I've played of the demo, fights are pretty fun and hectic when you've managed to fill out both teams and the game has a ton of characters for you to mess around with.

If you have a Vita you can get it for about 31 bucks this week.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

funkybottoms posted:

OP shouldn't it be over 9000 times?

Translation error, thank you very much.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Late 90s translations were hardly the best in the business and we've come a long way with it since then. Funimation used to be a small company with only so much talent which is why you have ADR director Chris Sabat voicing half of the cast and the myriad of translation issues like Over 9000 and Gohan being 11 by the end of the Cell Saga. Now they put out one of the best dubs DBZ has gotten in the Kai dub and Freeza no longer sounds like chain smoking granny.

Also yes, I know the Ocean Group did the Over 9000 thing originally, but I'm sure Funimation also had this kind of problem with that line too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kild posted:

How old is he suppose to be? He's born year 757 and the Cell Games occur year 767. He then spent a year in the time chamber so he's 11.

I actually made a mistake when I said that. There was some dub problems about other statistics like Snake Way's length, the age thing is right.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have always hated Old School Freeza's voice even as a kid. It was always such a bad voice for that character and was wildly inconsistent in its quality, especially when he transforms. Also, Stephanie Nadolny always sucked voicing any little kid character, especially when Gohan tries to react to anything with anything resembling a loud tone.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chris Rager voices Satan in both versions too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dunno what it is, but this picture really speaks to me, especially with how Chiaotzu's name is spelled.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't seen a lot of talking about Battle of Z, which is a shame because it's actually surprisingly good. I am very surprised there hasn't been a lot of buzz about it, but given what DBZ games were for quite a while I can imagine why. I made a write-up of my thoughts about it in case anyone is interested to learn about the game.

DBZ Battle of Z is a weird game in that it really shouldn't be a DBZ game. Why? It's a lot more complex than any DBZ game that wasn't developed by Dimps. It looks like a fighting game at first glance but it is not one. You cannot chain combos, there are no bet of 3s, there is no character balance derived towards the game on a competitive level at all. It is a team based action-rpg with elements of Monster Hunter, yes you read that right.

The game is based around the team as a whole, four players on one team. There are four classes that characters are divided into: Melee, Ki, Support and Interference. Each one has their own strengths and weaknesses while filling in a role on the team. Melee is meant for up close battles, ki is meant to use special attacks and ki blasts from afar, support is the healing role not meant for fighting much, and interference is meant for stopping the opponent from either being able to move or mount an offensive by binding them in place. There are no in-game transformations, this due to the how the game's equipment and the class system works. Different transformations have different classes from the last form for the most part or will sometimes build on a previous form and have two classes. This leads into another big part of the game, the cards.

Cards are your equipment, you get some after every mission you complete and there are many with a multitude of effects. Every character has a set number of cards they are able to equip, this does not change unless you equip cards that let you equip more cards of specific stats. A way the game also balances more powerful characters is a retry system. Basically, the entire team share retries and if you run out of them and one team member is not revived within the time limit you fail the mission. Specific characters are attributed a number of retries that add to the pool and these vary from 0-2. Weak characters whose only purpose are one thing are given 2 retries, second tier characters who can serve one purpose very well or sometimes two are 1, and the strongest characters who can kind of break an opponent have none. It makes it so you have to build a team around your respective playstyles combining together and working in tandem. IE: No one wants to be the white mage, but someone has to be if you want to win.

This is a mission based game, there are 60 missions and of course they will increase in difficulty. Some of the later missions are downright ridiculous in how many specialized characters can get thrown at you at once and the last two in general are really tough. The bosses are smart and have buffed stats so you cannot possibly lay in effective damage on your own. Your best bet is always to find someone to play with as the computer is complete garbage. There is also an online battle mode where you will need to fight other teams who are eithe rjust as messy as yours or who know how to coordinate an attack.

The gameplay however is very standard DBZ Tenkaichi-styled games gameplay. You get your basic stuff like melee, ki, and so on. Really large 3d fields to fight in, everything like that. There's not much to say about that part, it's as it looks. The only that's really change is you can't charge your ki up, it recharges from melee and ki blasts, this is actually a big change as again just allowing people to charge ki would disrupt the balance of the game. I actually like the game a lot, it's got some unique ideas and is a lot more than I expected to have from a gameplay system from a modern DBZ game. Unfortunately it was given to one of the worst fanbases they could've given it to as DBZ fans only really know how to mash buttons until everything is dead. BUt hey. at least I get fun stuff like this...

Super Saiyan Da Gawd

Oh and this

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Z Rank basically requires you sweep the entire stage with little to no problems, so yeah it's kind of tough to do in the demo given you aren't really given a lot of ways to do it.

Squallege posted:

I've been playing Battle of Z for a while. I finally got tired of trying the mission that unlocks SSJ 3 Goku and quit for the night. Mystic Gohan is the best character I've got so far.

Yeah, that's one of those missions you need to really have a solid team for if you not only want to beat it, but unlock Goku. That was an interesting thing it felt like this game did was it is heavily reliant on you have human teammates, which sort of begs the question why the online seems so hit or miss.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The real question is, of all the planets, why did Freeza allow Freeza Planet 419 to stay?

Spoilers, man

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

crankdatbatman posted:

Wow. This is some next level dragon ball z discussion.

I never really got into the canon implications of the movies. Even as a kid I figured they logically didn't for and just rolled with it. Wha does piss me off is how the movies tended to save power ups until the good guys really needed them (super saiyan in 5 and 7, maybe 6 and kaioken in a few of the early ones). I get that you need to build suspense through a movie, but that just broke the flow of how it worked. Goku and friends always used their power ups almost immediately in every fight.

After Lord Slug the movies basically follow the same pattern. Plot -> Villain Shows Up -> Hero either evens villain or gets dominated by him -> Power up, beat up villain, kill minions if they are in it -> Villain powers up -> Villain dominates -> Insert Spirit Bomb or Power combining here

The movies very rarely deviated from this formula, one of the few ones being interestingly enough the First Movie which sets the template for villains in the future movies. Though that template really is Anime Villain 101 rather than something Garlic set the standard for. Though the first movie also has one of the most egregious examples of villain stupidity it might as well not count it doesn't follow the formula. If I remember correctly movie 12 is one that definitively does not follow this path and that is mostly due to the fact half of the movie follows Earth where the heroes dominated evil for the entire movie, meanwhile the A-Plot is more of the same, but at least it did something new to resolve the problem rather than Spirit Bomb for the millionth time.

But yes, the situation always comes off as a bit stupid considering no one is ever really at full power right away to handle the threat efficiently. I guess you can make the argument they don't want to use unnecessary force, but it's not like that ever stopped anyone before.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Videl vs Spopovich was one of my favorite fights, mainly due to the fact it's one of the few times post saiyans that a human does anything and she just loving tears into him. Like it's amazing to see a human character have that much fight and ferocity post-Dragon Ball, it rocked. I just wish it didn't reverse since Spopovich was impossible to kill without magic powers. Also Goku vs Tien and Goku vs King Piccolo, both fights were just absolutely insane in the levels of inventive stuff they went to and Tien blowing up the ring is one of my favorite moments in Dragon Ball.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh god yes, the Buu Saga. Give me all of the shenanigans in stunning remastered picture!

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 17, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
DBZ's first episode starts with filler and it's not the good kind.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Potara earrings were flat out stated to be more powerful than the Fusion technique. The only drawback to Potara was you could never unfuse.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Heroes is a weird game with a lot of bizarre What-If stuff that honestly would make all of the DBZ games a lot more enjoyable to play through.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Raging Blast has a what-if where Vegeta becomes the leader of the Ginyu Force and Videl becomes Piccolo's student, but is so enthusiastic it becomes too much for Piccolo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be honest, what Heroes does is pretty fanficcy too, every saiyan has an SSJ3, plotlines featuring characters being brainwashed to force them to fight heroes, Cell creates a colony of bug people and evolves into the ultimate bugperson, etc. It's just that it's new content and as goofy as it is it will still be fun DBZ goofy stuff.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I gotta admit, I'm surprised they keep finding new ways to keep Popo funny, that and Yajiobe and Korin's whole thing is pretty nice. I so excited for next episode though, it's the moment I've been waiting for since Nail fusion.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Goku is one of the dumbest adults I have ever seen in fiction and it's because he never needed to actually grow up given he's a super strong man and might have brain damage.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sonata Mused posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NAzoe2Mjyo

Speaking of other Jump series, is anyone else excited for this?

This game looks boring as hell and the fact it is being developed by Spike Chunsoft adds more evidence to my theory.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you watch Super 13, you need to watch it dubbed because Chuck Huber's attempt at an intense southern accent and just some of the goofy poo poo they have him say is hysterical. Otherwise it's forgettable aside from two funny things.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm pretty sure that's only a thing because of the games, but yeah it's kinda weird. Does anyone who knows about the Japanese versions of those games know what his title is over there?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Launch came back at the end of the anime to give energy to the Spirit Bomb that kills Buu, but otherwise she had no other appearances, she never shows up in the manga. Launch was one of my favorite DB characters so I was pretty sad noticing that upon rereading.

Squallege posted:

Only after she slapped Buu in the god drat face! Chichi was hardcore.

Oh man, Buu eating everyone on Kami's Lookout was amazing as these characters had been completely invulnerable to death in DBZ for the most part and then Gotenks shows up and you know exactly what happened and how much of a bastard Buu is.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yajirobe doesn't have to help them. Yajirobe doesn't have to help anyone.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Giant Characters were easy to deal with once you figured out they basically were just giant targets who you could beat up with little to no effort. The harder characters to deal with were fasts on that could do multiple hits in very little time.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The first episode episode of DBZ was mostly filler, to give you an idea.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought Piccolo and Kami hesitating to fuse with one another was about the funniest god drat thing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So, did the head bump actually do anything to Goku since he seemed to be raised by two loving parents or was he still gonna be a murderous dickhead provided he not landed on his head?

And Raditz is nowhere to be seen, of course.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

VanSandman posted:

What the hell kind of a vegetable is a Gine anyway.

Gine is an anagram of Negi which is a spring onion.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mordaedil posted:

Dragon Quest is fun, but doesn't exactly have those designs. Or a beatemup aspect.

Neither does Dragon Ball Heroes, don't worry.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
When Vegeta gets bored he doesn't do a thing other than mope around which is hilarious.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That entire fusing segment being serious is gonna lead to a joke where Piccolo is completely useless whenever they get past 17, huh?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mark Satan
Maaku
Akuma

Hmmmmm.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The music to Kai was made by Kenji Yamamoto and I love it because of course that dude did the same thing he did with Budokai music and straight up ripped off rock and metal songs.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This was alright, but few jokes really hit for me.

The references to the Regis from Megas XLR was great though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How is the power creep in the first few movies not bad when 3 out of the 4 pre-Super Saiyan movies end in a spirit bomb? Dead Zone is the only one of the earlier movies with interesting fights and that's due to the fact Goku didn't have any of his abilities he got prior to his death. Him and Piccolo had to actually fight their opponents and show some ingenuity and even that movie ended with the villain basically beating himself.

The following three movies follow the same drat formula, but now Goku's got Kaio-ken and Spirit Bomb so he's got an even bigger "I win" button he can push when things get hairy. Those movies also get tedious very easily because the build up to the fights happening is so long and boring, especially Tree of Might.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 20, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fusion Reborn is the greatest DBZ movie and the only I actually have fun watching. Bojack Unbound is disappointing because the summary on the box told me they were pirates and they did no pirating.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That trailer is going to disappoint anyone hoping that movie is gong to be super serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I also love like the three swears I heard during that trailer.

• Locked thread