Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Thanks for the fan comic suggestions in the OP. Who Wants to be a Hero? is hilarious. It's too bad some of the images for it appear broken, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Metal Loaf posted:

The most beautiful - and fertile - woman on her home planet. Until Freeza blew it up.

Actually, is that something that was in the anime or the manga, that Freeza had blown up a bunch of his minions' home planets? It's been ages since I saw any version of the series or read the manga but I have this vague notion that Dodoria and Cui (maybe one of Cui's race in a filler episode, I admit) both said it happened to them.

The real question is, of all the planets, why did Freeza allow Freeza Planet 419 to stay?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

bowmore posted:

Well she is supposed to be a teenager, they are not usually very overtly sexual.

Have you ever met/been a teenager?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

bowmore posted:

I meant in public

Fair enough. I'm just... saiyan.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

After Lord Slug the movies basically follow the same pattern. Plot -> Villain Shows Up -> Hero either evens villain or gets dominated by him -> Power up, beat up villain, kill minions if they are in it -> Villain powers up -> Villain dominates -> Insert Spirit Bomb or Power combining here

The movies very rarely deviated from this formula, one of the few ones being interestingly enough the First Movie which sets the template for villains in the future movies. Though that template really is Anime Villain 101 rather than something Garlic set the standard for. Though the first movie also has one of the most egregious examples of villain stupidity it might as well not count it doesn't follow the formula. If I remember correctly movie 12 is one that definitively does not follow this path and that is mostly due to the fact half of the movie follows Earth where the heroes dominated evil for the entire movie, meanwhile the A-Plot is more of the same, but at least it did something new to resolve the problem rather than Spirit Bomb for the millionth time.

But yes, the situation always comes off as a bit stupid considering no one is ever really at full power right away to handle the threat efficiently. I guess you can make the argument they don't want to use unnecessary force, but it's not like that ever stopped anyone before.

This is why I loved the most recent movie. It was all about silliness for a long stretch, which ruled, then when they finally get down to the requisite fight, Goku just admits he got stomped and the villain's all "Ok cool, let's fight again some time." The fight was kind of dumb, very paint-by-numbers, but Bills being so off-model at the end made up for it. It also paints a bright picture for Goku, finally having a contemporary that loves to fight as much as he does without any desires for conquest or genocide. Sure, Bills may blow up planets, but that is his job. When he threatens to blow up Earth, it's either out of anger or just a means to get Goku to have a fight.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Stairmaster posted:

I'm pretty sure that hasn't been a valid excuse since 1946.

Trunks used the remote to kill the androids in that future. Also there's no actual evidence of any strength difference between the present and future androids since trunks can't sense their power.

To be fair SS officers can't vaporize your planet in the bat of their eye.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Any moment where Gohan flips the hell out during a fight rules. I wish they made him a bit more useful before the Cell Games though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Namtab posted:

I don't think he was mentioned at all after the frieza saga.

Dende still calls Piccolo Nail, and Piccolo doesn't seem to give a poo poo. That's all the mention he ever gets, though, similar to how Popo still calls him Kami.

Though I guess he doesn't even call himself Piccolo at that point. He's worse than Prince, honestly.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Vintimus Prime posted:

I hadn't realized it was THAT blatant, drat.

Yeah sometimes it's just a few oddly similar chords that you can ignore but other times it is basically note for note. Dunno how he thought he'd get away with some of it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mister Roboto posted:

The movies generally are just copies of the last 40 or so episodes of when they were made.

Honestly, they're pretty blatant cash-ins, especially as the writers clearly just copy characterizations and moments that Toriyama wrote without any of the buildup or necessary dramatic moments.

So Vegeta going from braggart to crying was a condensed version of of the entire Namek saga Vegeta in 70 minutes.

That, and Vegeta sorta does that a lot. He acts like the biggest badass in the world until poo poo gets real and he suddenly realizes what a loving moron he is (even if he needs to get wrecked to have it better illustrated for him).

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Yajirobe and Korin's relationship is turning from a simple running gag to actually kind of sweet. :3:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

WickedHate posted:

So, on the tonal shift, parody is protected speech but if it gets too serious and literally becomes decompressed DBZ at times, then could it count as copyright infringement?

I have no idea, but I doubt this is going to last long. Kami is just a naturally serious character, so when he doesn't have a total goof to play against the scene is going to have more of a dramatic sense to it. Fortunately, Nail will complement his straight man routine well.

NikkolasKing posted:

It definitely is.

I think you could easily make it funny though simply by having 18 say funny stuff while she's being absorbed. "Why you...! When I get outta here I'm gonna give you what for!" Obviously I'm not funny but I think a big part of the rapey-ness of the original was Eighteen's reaction and if you make that more comedic, the scene is a lot less creepy.

Like this scene. It's no less hosed up but I can see TFS having a field day with Nail and Kami in Piccolo's head going "hey...maybe you should stop him or something."

Probably the best way to do it would be to get past it quickly and have Krillin comment about how loving gross it was.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 8, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

WhiffleballDude posted:

None of the stuff 17 and 18 are saying sounds "out of character," but obviously they'd never actually say a lot of it in the real version. I really like their interpretation of them as irresponsible teens with superpowers just out to have a good time. Which, now that I type it out, isn't exactly super far from the canonical versions, but it doesn't come across nearly as well in DBZ proper, I feel like.

Yeah this is my favorite thing about the Android saga so far. I wonder how they plan to address how loving serious and evil they are in Trunks' timeline, though. I mean, the show certainly did a poo poo job of it but TFS usually finds a way to tell a great joke in spaces like that.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

crankdatbatman posted:

In reply to the fan base giving Vegeta a lot of poo poo for allowing Cell to achieve his perfect form, I always made the argument that Goku would probably have done the same thing if he were in Vegeta's shoes. It was basically exactly what happened in the Freeza fight, with the exception that Goku could still take on 100% Freeza. It would fit in his "addicted to fighting" personality, although maybe he wouldn't since he cares more about others than Vegeta did at the time.

Considering he gave Perfect Cell a senzu bean after knowing full well his horrible capacity for destruction and their desperate situation, yeah, Goku would totally loving let Cell transform. Hell, he'd probably help look for 18.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Goku is one of the dumbest adults I have ever seen in fiction and it's because he never needed to actually grow up given he's a super strong man and might have brain damage.

I'm Goku. I'm insane. From Earth.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

NikkolasKing posted:

Which is why I hate the fact he's had such a negative influence on shounen. So many Goku clones like Naruto or Luffy or Natsu, when we really should be getting more Kenshin's or, hell, even Yusuke's.

Personally I wouldn't want Luffy any other way. He must be a blast to write; infinitely childish, infinitely stupid.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Honest Thief posted:

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, I don't care about sutpid dragon ball!
YOU WILL LOVE DBZ OR I WILL BEAT YOU!

Nice try, but every kid loves dragon ball

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Namtab posted:

Well with goku and gohan there's that one bit of hair over the forehead that's a p.obvious visual cue, but there's nothing for Vegeta at all.

Nah, Vegeta's way easier. He gets more and more smug.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Namtab posted:

You'd be smug too if you were prince of all saiyans

All five of them, over half not pure Saiyans. :v:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Best part is that it'll get you past some of the worst episodes of the series (though Nappa and Vegeta is where it really clicked for me).

bladeworksmaster posted:

I'm a fan of The Scream Heard Round the Universe myself.

Yes, that's drat near the best moment of the entire series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCOxVaQQrbk

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Yes, Nappa. Yes I do. :unsmith:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

PiedPiper posted:

So if Piccolo and Kami joined sooner, they'd pretty much curbstomp both Nappa and Vegeta?
I can see why Kami would refuse, though. As much as Piccolo's heart was changing, he was still a bit of a wild card.

Also no more Dragon Balls, meaning Goku would be poo poo out of luck.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Squallege posted:

Skip the two pointless Namek specials that are still going.

Honestly I kinda like the current Namek special; it's an interesting "what-if" that isn't just "What if this super crazy thing happened?" It's taking out one domino from way back and exploring the way it could change things.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Darko posted:

Nail says he's a lot stronger, that's why his personality has no effect on Piccolo when they fuse, but almost just literally works as a boost.

Also, Piccolo's training with Kaio-sama was...sitting in a corner and meditating.

I really wish Piccolo stayed relevant for longer, his bullshit excuse for "training" always made him seem like such a badass.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Since Freeza's empire is so reliant on power levels as a metric of fighting ability, a really cool what-if would be "What if the Namekians weren't nearly wiped out before Freeza went to get the Dragon Balls?" Namekians are naturals at ki manipulation and can be trained to be super tough fighters, after all. Imagine if 99% of their species wasn't dedicated to planting trees. Nail was only trained as a warrior to defend the Elder, and the worst they were worried about was probably some farmers getting pissed off. If there were an actual warrior class and other fighters to train against, Freeza's army would have been wiped the hell out the second he got a little too snarky.

crankdatbatman posted:

We agree overall but I still contend that the power levels just got stupid and sloppy when it came to time to fight Freeza. Which they did. No level of 'power levels were meant to be bullshit all along!' hand waving will erase how that part of the Freeza saga was sloppily done.

I think part of it was that everyone got better at ki manipulation after the Saiyans attacked. Their range of power levels is way wider than it was before that. It would make sense, too; the guys on Earth trained that way in case Vegeta came back, and Vegeta did it to get the drop on Freeza's elite fighters. This would also lead in to how, during the Android saga, they mention how the non-Saiyans got tougher by training themselves to cause their energy to spike way more intensely each time they attacked (or however they explained it).

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 24, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kild posted:

You still have Chiaotzu suicide bombing Nappa to no effect.

Chiaotzu just sucks.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Captain Quack posted:

Since I have some free time in my hands, and I like graphics, I decide to illustrate my hypothesis on how power levels work.

I belive they are read in a exponetial scale instead of a linear one, thats why there sundely jumps from a low value to higher one.

This is bullshit, we all know Turtle is the strongest of all.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Cozz posted:

Wasn't Master Roshi scanned in his normal state, without increasing his KI? Goku went from 400 something to nearly 900 when fighting Raditz, certainly Roshi charging a Kamehameha would be enough to destroy the moon.

Not to mention Roshi can transform into a super buff guy apparently.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I never even liked Dragon Ball, I'm just posting in this thread ironically.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I'm super excited to watch Battle of the Gods again. I'd love to see it with some friends who aren't into subs but love DBZ; I eagerly anticipate my arguments with them about whether Vegeta being a dork rules or sucks.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Stairmaster posted:

and the third to last was 100% filler. Months after the manga had finished.

It was only two episodes but it started at the end of a third one.

The Spirit Bomb was always the worst because it took forever and didn't loving work.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Stairmaster posted:

It had an 90%~ success rate in the movies, though.

This only proves that the movies are not canon.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I could live in a world with a meme where huge guys in anime call shotgun incorrectly.

Well, really, a picture of Gamagori doing it, mostly.

Gamagoori takes up every seat, so shotgun is always relevant for him.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

This is what Mugen was made for. Everything up to now was just a beta test.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

No mexibeams and no SSJ7 gogeta, not my mugen

The secret boss will be Rare Akuma, don't worry.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
So I know this thread is only obliquely related to TFS, but I really wish Hellsing Ultimate Abridged came out more often than once a year. I know it's not exactly a long series, but it's like if Archer was a goddamn vampire king. I think I rewatch it once a month.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I really like the recent bit where Alternate Tien tried to seal Alternate Super Buu with the Mafuba in their match, ala King Piccolo. It probably won't work, but it's a fun idea.

I love how Goku is all "Oh wow, why did we forget about that technique?"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

maou shoujo posted:

I may not know who it was, but I can say for sure that it is what led me to this thread and inspired me to start watching DBZ Kai.

I haven't watched the original DBZ since back when it used to be on Toonami, and not past the Frieza saga. I'm on episode 10 of the uncut Kai dub and holy crap is this version faster-paced than the original version.

Yeah, the original cut of DBZ was loving glacial. The manga is also pretty fast, maybe even moreso than Kai. I've never read it past Freeza, though.

The only problem with Kai is, while a lot of the filler sucked, the ones where Goku and crew just goofed off were pretty good.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Pierson posted:

After escaping justice for his many murders, 17 moved to Montana and became a lumberjack park ranger.

But I don't think he actually killed anyone in that timeline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Squallege posted:

In the anime he held some dude up at gunpoint to force him to give energy.

This is so awesome, I wish I watched the anime that far now.

• Locked thread