Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Mostly due to the fact it kinda seemed Dodoria was completely wiping out the Nameks like nothing. That and Krillin and Gohan were sorta fighting him and using other tactics to not fight him.

But I feel it's mostly due to the fact that Vegeta got a power up after losing to Goku. Hell it's what I love about the abridged series is how they poke fun at how bullshit the sayian's power level grows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Being fat is fine, Yajirobe managed to at least turn the tables against Vegeta. :colbert:

(Yeah I know he cut off the tail but still that was pretty hilarious)

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Probably my favorite part about that is how Krillin thinks he is immortal. And then Vegeta thinking OH my god if he used the dragonballs on himself I'M GOING TO MURDER..

That... bastard. Pretty much all of Freeza saga was great, I felt that was when TFS was hitting it's groove. Once they learn not to use references from other shows (which alot of "abridged" series do) they started to roll and it never stopped. The early episodes were weak. I do admit Goku v.s. Vegeta is still my favorite because of that one moment when Goku and Vegeta fire off both their ki blasts. Vegeta saying "THIS IS THE END KAKOROT. You don't stand a chance. I put all my power into this attack. NOW perish with the rest of your pathetic WORLD!"

And then you hear.. "KAI O KEN"..

"Noooo..."

"TIMMEEEEEEES"

"NO NO NO."

"FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUR"

"NONONONONONNONONONFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 3, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
If I had to pick a fight, it would be Goku v.s. Piccolo. Granted I watched DB as a kid but I never got far to the when Goku grows up and fights Piccolo. It's kinda why in DBZ I was like whose this green yoshi alien that showed up.
Mostly because of how ruthless Piccolo was back then. Especially the fact that he had the ability to grow bigger and still be roughly as fast. I really enjoyed how Lord Slug Movie Abridged basically poked fun that this was a rehash Piccolo fight.
2nd best is probably Goku v.s. Cell. Even though Goku is outmatch, he still puts up a fight and Cell is enjoying it. Hell Goku goes for goddamn kill and still isn't enough.
Though he was a bit of a batshit crazy guy for giving Cell a senzu bean.
I really can't wait how Abridge handles it. It's going to be great seeing Piccolo rip Goku a new one.
Gohan's fights were ok, it just sucks that how he literally became the strongest in the universe and doesn't do crap.
Especially when he came back to fight Buu. I like and hate that one. One because Gohan was completely destroying Buu like he was nothing. The second was Buu outsmarting Gohan and absorbing him.
I guess you can say the only bad thing is all that offscreen training only for Gohan to be taken out.
That left a bad taste.

Ah yes the Gohan v.s. Goku gif. Too bad that was a fake Gohan made by Buu inside Buu.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Basically because how much it dropped the ball on Gohan's development. You see hints of him getting stronger, and we get the pay off in Cell saga where he completely kicks Cell's rear end. Now in the future? He's gone soft and isn't as strong as he used to be. I did enjoy the whole him hiding his identify so people wouldn't freak out about a normal human being doing super human things. Great Sayiaman was great.

Buu wasn't a bad character at all in retrospect, but come on the gently caress on. Gohan couldn't catch the loving ring? Just.. argh. All that training was for nothing. It's like nope Goku is the only one who can do a power up and it works. Buu saga just felt like going backwards. It was literally buy Goku time so he can deliver the final blow. Granted I did enjoy Vegeta's sacrifice because he did something for someone else once instead. Even knowing he might not be able to see Goku in the afterlife.

Just. gently caress the buu saga. It sucked. :colbert:

I will take solace in the fact that Mr. Satan end saving the world though.

Mr. Satan rules.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 17, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Spiritus Nox posted:

Someone had to do it eventually, really. Otherwise, who even cares about this whole death thing? Let Buu blow up the universe, we'll just chill in heaven and laugh at him when he runs out of things to blow up and goes slowly insane(er) lost and alone in the void. I mean, that scene with Buu horribly killing every motherfucker on the lookout loses a bit of punch when we cut to to the afterlife and Videl and Chi-chi are just picking flowers with Dabura and talking about their men and having a grand old time.

It's like Tien said. Why do you care. Death really has no meaning in this. We are literally waiting to go back.

And I just remembered something. Chaotzu saying next time he gets a free sundae. I just realize technically he gets killed by Buu because of the whole earth blowing up.

Hah.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Esroc posted:

All this DB talk makes me ashamed that I've never seen it. DBZ is in my top five favorite media franchises ever. But I've haven't seen more than two episodes of the original Dragonball.

Get to watching Dragonball you fool! Thought it might end up making you think, man everyone who is not Goku turns useless in DBZ. :v:

Granted my favorite fight is obviously Goku v.s. Piccolo.

I do like how Piccolo never uses his get large and stay the same speed/size tech ever again after DB.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Metal Loaf posted:

Did he use it in the Garlic, Jr. saga or was that a different technique?

I don't recall because I never watched the Garlic Jr Saga.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Better to go with Kai. It pretty much cuts out all the filler bullshit. Trust me you don't want the whole FREIZA blows up the planet in 5 minutes and it takes like 10 episodes to do so!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You wouldn't want to piss off the Prince of All sayians. He'll waste you like a jar of space pickles.

Ugly stupid space pickles.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

icantfindaname posted:

What do people think of the manga vs anime? I just finished reading through Freeza and it's pretty good, I'll put off final judgement for now though. I didn't grow up with DBZ like most people here seem to have, so it's interesting to be exposed to the manga first. Do people generally think the manga is better? I understand the original DB/DBZ is stuffed with filler.

It defintely changed my opinion alot seeing as I didn't know animes were based off mangas at first. I don't think Ocean Dub here even mention it was part of the manga but I could be remembering wrong. But yeah I was very suprised on how different the pacing was in the manga. Kinda makes me a bit sad that DB does get a bad wrap for being filler like hell, but manga wise Akira doesn't bullshit with the pace.

So yeah I was surprised to see Freeza v.s. Goku was not that long.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
And the one time it did work, technically Goku didn't make the spirit bomb.

Hercule did. :v:

He goddamn rules.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Nessus posted:

I think the Dragon can only wish people back if they've just been dead a year? Or is that the Namek dragon?

Yeah shelong can only revive people only if they were dead for a year. Hence why pre DBZ, krillin and Roshi were put in a capsule that perseve their bodies so they wouldn't rot. Considering Shelong was killed by King Piccolo.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Pretty sure 17 had a little cameo in the manga as well when the Spirit Bomb was made against Majin Buu and he was like ah hell why not and rose his hand in the air.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Not to mention, you see the evolution of Vegeta being the straight man of the group to basically one of the best characters in the abridge series. Once they stop with the references from other cultures it became hilarious.

Granted the wrestling episode of Raccome v.s. Vegeta is my favorite. Especially during two parts, one Raccome basically saying his lines from the ocean dub. THE NAME IS RACCOME AND THE NAME RHYMES WITH DOOM, AND YOU'LL BE HURTING ALL TOO SOON. (nailed it with the doom remix being his theme)

And then Vegeta's theme being from Dragonball GT. Just his reaction face killed it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Best Frieza/Goku moment.

Freeza: You, you’re different. What happened? What the hell are you?
Goku: Can’t you tell Freezer, it’s just like Vegeta said.
Freeza: No you loving don’t!
Goku: I am the hope of the Omniverse. I am the light bulb in the darkness.
I am the bacon in the fridge for all living things that cry out in hunger!
I am the Alpha and the Amiga! I am the terror that flaps in the night!
I am Son Goku! and I am a Super
*Freeza shoots Goku in the face*
Goku: ...... Saiyan. :smug:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The problem with Broly is goddamn does it drag. WE get it he's nearly unstoppable.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I found it hilarious how Vegeta was lamenting how something that was only in legends became so easy to do.

IN his words.

Naturally a super sayian bargain sale.

The loving dub has some hilarious rear end lines and that was one of them.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh? hahaha nice. Never because some of the dub lines are improv'd or written differently.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I mean yeah this Cell. He's kinda creepy. Kinda hard to work around that.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Testekill posted:

I also could have sworn that Piccolo fused with Kami after his run in with Cell. That's how I remembered it at least.

Nope. He never ran into him. He was originally going to fuse with Kami to take out the droids.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Let's face it gonna happen. Perfect Cell was one smug rear end gently caress. And I can't wait.

Takahata is doing a really good job as Cell.

We already know his Perfect Cell voice, it's gonna be glorious.

edit: I just realized something about Krillin.

He's so gonna get chew out for letting 18 live. hahaha

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 13, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hahaha that was great. I think I've seen that taqueria before.

Then again there is pizza mario, etc. :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Stay the gently caress away from GT.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
As DBZA said.

NOBODY watched DRAGONBALL.

As for the music yeah, kinda grew up with the falconer music. The orginal music sorta feels weird in DBZ.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Zorak posted:

Which is dumb because Dragon Ball is actually way better :colbert:

Oh definitely. I enjoyed DB more because it was less powerup levels and just unorthodox fighting. (considering one of the fights revolved around smell and loving Krillin of all people forgot he had no nose) Not to mention, techincally Master Roshi was still a relevant badass. Jackie Chun v.s. Goku was a really good fight because it showed that Goku still had a ways to go to be the best. Also it gave us Piccolo Day. Granted while I do love the Falconer music. Piccolo's original theme is still the best.

Most badass theme ever

It's also why I enjoyed the Slug movie DBZA because it was really just a rehash of King Piccolo's plot. :v:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 1, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Like they are going to do that movie.

:colbert:

I also forgot this one of the movies Piccolo does not actually get that wrecked/jobbed.

edit:vvvv I was kinda wishing he would scream out Destructo Disk actually.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 8, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Some Numbers posted:

Maybe this was a preparation for it.

Vegeta's running gag was fantastic, but the movie was pretty incoherent. Does the source material make any more sense?

Not really no. They basically cut out all the fat. Trust me the orginal movie drags a way too bit with the fighting.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah it was pretty bad. I kinda put this up there with Bio Brolly. Not once but twice did they decide oh hey dude is dead.

SIKE!

Also plot was basically Dende asking for help from them and they go to the new namek to find out was wrong and then well the movie happens. Pretty much how it goes. They fight the robots, find out Cooler is behind this and yeah Vegeta just shows up for no reason.

edit: Still I enjoyed the abridge. Some jokes were flat, but I was excited to finally see Vegeta's debut in a movie.

Much as I hate the Brolly movie, kinda wanna see them do it because holy poo poo is Vegeta really afraid of Brolly.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 8, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

fusion reborn is good though

Oh defintely. The best. We see familar faces, we see loving goddamn Hitler.

Plus at that point it was basically after the Fat Buu saga when Vegeta sacrificed himself. Kinda sucks the ending of that movie he has to go back to hell and lose his body form but at least he was chill with it. :unsmith:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I just went back to check the plot of fusion reborn. I forgot that the reason poo poo whent down because one person in charge of the tanks for purifying evil energy decides to goof off and not change it and that's when poo poo goes down.

To think, if someone loving goofs around, the world goes apeshit. The King should've done better background checks. :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It's funny the movie introduces Dende when he's grown up. I forgot what point they decide to bring Dende as the new earth guardian.

Was it during Piccolo fighting Cell or after?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hahaha didn't know the movie actually spoiled his return.

Also watching Fusion Reborn. It really is a great movie. Especially when Vegeta is like I RATHER DIE THAN FUSION WITH YOU KAKAROT. And goku counters with but you already dead.

And then Vegeta's face.

Priceless.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Much as I don't like the buu saga. It did gives us a few great things. Obviously Mr. Satan.

And then.

The Fusion Dance. Goddamn you Akira Toriyama.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Lol fusion reborn would've ended greatly if the failed fusion beat the villain. His moves were so orthodox, they were hard to predict.

Kinda nice once they do the right fusion, they really don't waste time in basically wrecking the dude. Which in a way Gogeta was more of goku's attitude more so than Vegetto.

Granted Vegetto was still smart, he was goofing around alot.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ah you are right. I just remember when he got turn into a chocolate ball, he was still kicking Majin Buu's rear end.

Also now to see Bojack Unbound. I think this is actually one of the movies I didn't actually see and I've seen most of the DBZ movies.

I looked it up and it's Teen SS Gohan? Interesting.

Hahahah Krillin is in this tourney? Poor bastard. Lol unfair eh? Says the strongest human in the universe.

Oh wow, Gohan wearing Goku's Ki? That's new.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 8, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
ahaahahahah Mr. Satan is in this?

Ok best movie ever! (I know he was in fusion reborn, but him in a tourney type movie just screams hilarious as hell)

edit: hahah I was wondering where they got the scene of Vegeta relaxing on a bed watching TV.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 8, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
And again now I get the oldest joke in the book. So he was literally actually trapped inside a planet (star)

I do hope they keep him being a pirate. Goddamn TFS knows how to do long payoffs.

Edit: My favorite pay off is when the early episodes of DBZA Piccolo tells Goku to hold off Raditz for five minutes.

And then when Goku is powering up the spirit bomb against Freeza, he does the same thing to Piccolo

And then..

Piccolo: Did.. Did you just pull a grudge?

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 8, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ok, that was a really good movie. Also :stare: I see the reason why they dont' let Gohan SS2 that much.

He just makes you explode into dust with his fist.

Hahah Mr Satan did really save them. It was nice to see Goku didn't have to come in tos ave the day. Ok techincally he did come in to punch Bojack in the face, but it was pretty nice to see that he was dead so he could only just literally punch and then disappear.

Aww the gohan growing up montage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

dr.acula posted:

Woah woah woah. Tenshinhan is a human.

I was going off the Dragonball Z dub when Yamacha was asked about Krillin during the tournmanet in the Buu Saga. You can blame Yamacha for not remembering Tien.

speaking of Yamacha. They really love making him the punchline anytime they get a chance don't they? He loving got eliminated so quickly. I'm surprised he didn't ya know...FLY just like everyone else did.

• Locked thread