Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

Easy to forget that when Yajirobe showed up he was as powerful as Goku.

...Now that I think about it, when was the last time an actual human being actually beat anyone? Like, who mattered. At all.

Was it Krillen blowing up the Saibamen? Or maybe his contribution to beating Guldo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

Not a lot, but Tien did hold off Cell for a while.

Yeah, I remember that and that was legitimately cool, but it was cool precisely because Tien didn't have a loving prayer of actually beating Cell. I'm talking about straight up beating somebody.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Well, yeah, but GT was stupid.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Squallege posted:

I agree and am always bewildered about how people get all pissy about the game's version of the original story. Who cares about the original story, throw something new at us!

Especially considering we must be on more than a hundred Dragon Ball games now. The what-if scenarios were something that Budokai 3 and the later Tenkaichi games did really well, from what I remember.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, something struck me as I was watching Revenge of Cooler abridged.

Was there ever any point past the Saiyan saga where Gohan has his tail? Because he has his tail in Revenge of Cooler, which takes place in VAGUELY DEFINED POST-NAMEK TIME FRAME. Not that there's any point in trying to talk about continuity with the movies, I just don't get why they even give him his tail back when the closest it comes to mattering is enabling one scene where one of Cooler's goons spins Gohan around by his tail - it's not like he goes Monkey or anything.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...I thought Cell and Piccolo had their first fight before he merged with Kami? Which, by the way, is probably going to be great.

Best joke of the episode was 16 mistaking Krillen for a duck, IMO.

I will say, I really enjoy how they're playing 17 and 18. Their banter's a lot of fun. I am interested to see how Team Four Star handles the absorption scenes - because they're both creepy as hell and 18's is kind of rapey.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 8, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Best everything was Krillen. Every line of his was funny this episode.

But yeah, Cell saga isn't nearly as fun as Frezia saga was. The Frezia saga had a whole bunch of fun fights and unquie characters popping up all the time. The Cell saga, on the other hand, stays with more or less the same crew for it's entire run. Fortunately the androids are fun right now, and if Cell is done right then we're in for a good time, but it won't top Frezia's saga.

To be fair, that's true of the actual series, too. Remember when Vegeta and Krillen and Gohan were all sneaking around and coming up with ways to avoid or surprise stronger opponents and taking advantage of and backstabing each other and injecting all these interesting subtleties beyond "POWER UP HARDER, BENEFIT FROM SAIYAN RESPAWN BONUS/GET ANGRY, BEAT BAD GUY UP?"

Not that the rest of the series was terrible, but it lost some things when it stopped pretending that anyone other than Saiyans and occasionally Piccolo was allowed to be important for more than a couple of episodes at a time.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly, I just really want to see Cell at this point because there's a number of ways they could play him and I'm not sure which way they're going to go. The most obvious choice is having him be a relative straight man, but considering Freeza just did that...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I liked Nail's comment on the tone shift. So very true. The Cell Saga has to be the darkest, most serious business storyline ever in DB. Which I guess is why so many people hate it but I think it's the one arc that really made DBZ stand apart from DB in a good way.

Well, again, he is a creepy motherfucker. I really have no idea how they plan on making him absorbing 18 funny. Like I said, I watched that scene recently and holy poo poo it's rapey as hell.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I highly, highly doubt it comes to that. The tonal switch at the end of the episode was itself a gag.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yes, that's drat near the best moment of the entire series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCOxVaQQrbk

That's probably the funniest usage of Ghost Nappa besides The Punchline, too. ...Was that the last time Ghost Nappa showed up? I don't remember him saying anything during the Ginyu or Frieza fights.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 15, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

He's a Hollywood producer now.

Yeah, I knew that. I was talking about Ghost Nappa, not live Nappa. :colbert:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

VJeff posted:

Hey Kaoru did a cool thing one time and uhhh oh I can't even try to defend this poo poo. Kenshin is my favorite shounen but man oh man did it suck at that. :smith:

It got a little better in Watsuki's next manga, at least.

Aw, man, Ruroni Kenshin. That poo poo was so good in some ways and so bad in others.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

That's pretty much why that was the first and only time the Spirit Bomb truly killed anyone. Thematically, that worked, even if it was contrived.

Not to give too much credit to GT, but didn't they kill the evil dragon with a huge-rear end spirit bomb?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

this is the best dragon ball thing in the history of dragon balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGdGJ1XXvTQ

but it is very misleading, the rest of GT is bad. this is probably the only good part.

...GT was a loving weird show. And when your chief comparison is the rest of Dragon Ball, that's really saying something.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Man, I just rewatched part of the Vegito/Buuhan fight - specifically the part where Buu tries to kill Vegito by turning into goo, flying down his throat, and making vegito swell up until Vegito chases him out by punching the big lumps of BuuGuu moving around underneath his skin.

Dragon Ball is loving weird, you guys.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

True, but those shows (as far as I'm aware) don't also feature the hero becoming a sentient, immortal jawbreaker and momentarily reducing the fight to a looney tunes sketch. For being a soul-shatteringly evil, body devouring horror, Super Buu's kind of a riot.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Something that bothered me as a kid was that, at least in the anime, Buu started invading the afterlife and killing the souls there.

Someone had to do it eventually, really. Otherwise, who even cares about this whole death thing? Let Buu blow up the universe, we'll just chill in heaven and laugh at him when he runs out of things to blow up and goes slowly insane(er) lost and alone in the void. I mean, that scene with Buu horribly killing every motherfucker on the lookout loses a bit of punch when we cut to to the afterlife and Videl and Chi-chi are just picking flowers with Dabura and talking about their men and having a grand old time.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shindragon posted:

It's Tien said. Why do you care. Death really has no meaning in this. We are literally waitng to go back.

And I just remembered something. Chaotzu saying next time he gets a free sundae. I just realize technically he gets killed by Buu because of the whole earth blowing up.

Hah.

...Wait. What even happened to those two? The last I remember seeing them was Tien using Tri-Beam to deflect one of Buutenks' attacks away from Gohan. Did Buu eat them or knock them out or...?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Was Tien the first bad guy who got turned good? I miss reading the original DB where he was a credible threat and the fights were on a different scale. Just the fact he could fly was a huge deal.

Remember when blowing up the world tournament stage was considered an incredible display of destructive power?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Esroc posted:

All this DB talk makes me ashamed that I've never seen it. DBZ is in my top five favorite media franchises ever. But I've haven't seen more than two episodes of the original Dragonball.

Honestly, Dragonball might be a better overall show - though it's been a long-rear end time since I've seen it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

I actually just rewatched it. It's not a bad fight in its own, just...short. The Ginyu fight is about my least favorite fight in the series though. The whole body change thing was really really stupid. I just don't get how Ginyu did not already know that his power level wasn't going to be anywhere near Goku's. He's surely done the body change before, so how did he not know that? Just a really dumb concept that robbed the series of what could have been an interesting fight.

While Blitzblast explained while Ginyu not knowing how to draw out Goku's full power makes more sense than you might think, I agree. I mean, the fight actually was pretty good up until the body switch happened. Goku and Ginyu were trading blows, Ginyu had the whole "Ah, you are a worthy adversary!" thing going on, it's Goku's first real challenge with his new powers, etc. Then it turns into attack of the body swappers and becomes more of a comedy. Which, I mean, Dragonball's always had elements of comedy, but this one wasn't even that funny.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Looking through various DBStuff on youtube, I must say I really enjoyed the scene at the start of the Buu Saga when Trunks shows that he can go Super Saiyan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNrEezugj8

The show could have stood to have a lot more scenes like that. Watching Vegeta willingly put up with a Super Saiyan child is kind of amazing. :allears: My favorite part is when he punches Trunks back, square in the face. The way Vegeta stops and stares for a moment is pretty great - you can tell he only punched Trunks back on a reflex when Trunks surprised him and he feels like an rear end in a top hat for it, but he's still Vegeta so he can't say anything about it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TARDISman posted:

I still think one of my favorite parts of the series is Vegeta screaming at Trunks that they're going to play in the park. Hell, anything involving Vegeta becoming a dad/husband is one of the best parts of the Buu saga, so much so that it ends up being a plot point when he becomes Majin Vegeta.

Seriously. I don't know why Toriyama was so loath to show a lick of Vegeta and Bulma (and later Trunks') relationships when what little we do see varies from being really interesting to really :unsmith:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Man. The more I think about it, the more I'm kind of really mad at Toriyama (or the Anime filler people, whoever wrote that scene) for not showing us Vegeta attempting to play with a small child in a public park. Any half-assed writer could easily make that into something either incredibly heartwarming or hilariously awkward - to say nothing of what Team Four Star could do with a scene like that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

^ - "...catch it son! Catch it with your teeth!"

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

The story I always hear is that Toriyama didn't care that much for Vegeta, but fans (or probably his editor, given the pull he had on a lot of how the rest of DBZ unfolded) liked him and that kept him around.

That would explain why Vegeta spends most of his time being either humiliated, dead, or beaten within an inch of his life after about halfway through the Freeza saga, I suppose.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I remember liking Pan. Once I got over the fact that she has boobs and therefore isn't allowed to punch anyone important, I thought she was endearing and engaging enough as a character.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

To be fair, I didn't mind Super Saiyan 4. Yeah, it's ridiculous and GT doesn't use it very well but what else is there in Dragonball that you can't say the exact same thing about?

On a similar note, I saw a few clips of GT on youtube recently. Good God, this is one ugly loving show a lot of the time. Maybe I just need to see more of the fights, but everything I've seen just looks really cheap, both in terms of the artwork and the animation.

Edit: Oh God. I just realized.

Vegeta, Prince Of All Saiyans, he-who-smacks-people-with-his-dick-every-time-he-turns-left, was my first encounter with the concept of a stay-at-home-Dad.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 26, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Momomo posted:

It also didn't help that Future Trunks was the coolest dude ever, but I remember Adult Trunks being really boring.

Yeah. It was really weird watching the alternate timeline version of the dude who sliced up an evil galactic overlord and vaporized the pieces on his way to more important business be reduced to "the bland guy we keep around because it has to be a party of three when we're hunting dragonballs."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Why the gently caress are we talking about dragon testicles?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I just like how Android 16 started off as a Goku-killing cypher and is slowly developing a personality based on his interactions with those goofy-rear end andrioids. "After we kill Goku, we're going to do whatever we want! I mean, who's going to stop us?" "Not Goku! :downs:" "Exactly! :smug:"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, I've been binging through that Dragon Ball Multiverse fancomic linked in the OP. I've been really surprised by how much I've enjoyed it. The dialogue's a little stilted and the basic concept requires you to accept a fair bit of silliness, but the fights are a lot of fun, as are the various characters all trying to have fun or pursue their own evil/mysterious agendas without pissing off one of the uber-powered characters like Vegitto or Alternate Universe Super Duper Buu.

I really like the recent bit where Alternate Tien tried to seal Alternate Super Buu with the Mafuba in their match, ala King Piccolo. It probably won't work, but it's a fun idea.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 9, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh yeah, and multiverse actually lets women go Super Saiyan and punch things and be marginally important to the plot, which is nice.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Awesome Welles posted:

New soundtrack kind of sounds like Bruce Falcouner's score at times.

I am ok with this.

I really want them to top the old Super Saiyan 3 theme.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shindragon posted:

Granted the wrestling episode of Raccome v.s. Vegeta is my favorite. Especially during two parts, one Raccome basically saying his lines from the ocean dub. THE NAME IS RACCOME AND THE NAME RHYMES WITH DOOM, AND YOU'LL BE HURTING ALL TOO SOON. (nailed it with the doom remix being his theme)

And then Vegeta's theme being from Dragonball GT. Just his reaction face killed it.

You missed the best moment. "AND YOU'RE GONNA BE HURTIN'...ALL! TOO! SOOOOOOOOOON!!!!" A beat of silence, then it cuts to Vegeta's scowling face. "...Wrestling's fake." Chorus of boos.

I love Vegeta when he's being impotently defiant. :allears:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

If we're talking about Piccolo, my favorite moment from him would have to be after Vegeta drops his "I don't listen to bastards" on Trunks in episode 38. Piccolo hears this, and just looks at Gohan for a beat. "...Gohan?" "Yeah?" "...You're a good kid." "Oh. ...thanks?"

Piccolo tries to act tough, but he's really a big ol' softie. :3:

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 8, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Combat Lobster posted:

Dead Zone is my favorite movie for pretty much this reason. Also Gohan tripping balls and this line : (@0:54)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vTeMQIWrh4

I like how we're arguing about the rich canon and logical consistency of this series immediately after someone posts a video of someone releasing their true power with a mighty warcry of "CHEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!!!!" :allears:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

VanSandman posted:

It was pretty sweet when Vegeta lost his poo poo and was stronger than Goku for all of 10 minutes and him not knowing what to do and being embarassed when Goku acknowledges this fact was hilarious.

...When did this happen? Are you talking about Majin Vegeta?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Vegeta's slow transition of noble warrior of a proud, dying race to househusband uncomfortable with his perceived emasculation is probably the best part of the entire franchise.

I've said it before, but in I was tickled to death when I first realized that late-season Vegeta was, long before I knew it, my first encounter with the concept of a stay at home dad. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Speaking of the dragonballs, Shenron is one of the best characters in DBZA. Shame he barely shows up in the proper show.

He's just so loving pissed it's always Goku or his buddies.

...Wait, this happens in the actual show/movies somewhere? Not just abridged?

• Locked thread