Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Speaking of AF-level insanity, guess what Dragon Ball Heroes just got!~

That's right!
Neko Majin gently caress yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Man there is a whole what-if GAME, focused on Future Trunks' "Buu Saga". It's... really kinda a bore at times but notable for Mystic/Kaioshin-powerup Future Gohan.

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Is...Is that a female Super Saiyan? Man so much for Toriyama not knowing how to make them look good.

Heroes has had them for quite a while now.
For reference, here's what the current character avatars look like:
http://imgur.com/JNxEJQ4
http://imgur.com/Pb5JVRM

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

It helps that most of the "story" stuff for it emphasizes that it's all just little scenario pieces for the card game. Grown up Gotenks? Baby merging with Janenba? Bardock going back in time and becoming a Super Saiyan (and turns out he gets Super 2 now too!)? Wouldn't you want to buy those game cards, kiddo/middle-aged DB fan?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Popo's little moment was funny, but drat Krillin's observations and comments just killed me for this episode.

17 and 18 are still putting in some good material too. Other than that though the episode felt a bit slower than last, though I kinda expected that after Vegeta's Glorious Carnival of Failure. Good ep, not amazing but still was fun to watch.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Mister Roboto posted:

Bulma also was the only person in the entire universe to crack the secret of time travel. That includes God.

Glass ceiling or not, being the smartest person EVER is a good accomplishment.

Honestly Bulma saved the universe's collective asses more often than people give her credit for.

I mean it's not like Krillin and Gohan could have made it to Namek by themselves.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Goku at Super Saiyan 3 could fight pretty evenly with Kid Buu, as well as regular Majin/Fat/Good Buu (even if Kid Buu constantly could gain the upper hand). Contrast Goku thinking that he couldn't match even base, no absorptions Super Buu, and wanted to try the Fusion Dance in hopes of beating 'em.

But yeah, as previously mentioned Kid Buu was more dangerous because he could not care less on things like collateral damage, even if that included himself (probably because he could regenerate, but still) like when he blew up the Earth with ten times overkill.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Since the topic's reared its head again, time to give the most well-researched answer to "Toriyama wanted to end it at [blank]" again.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

The Budokai games (Infinite World included) were straight-up DBZ fighting games, while the Tenkaichi series and everything related to it are more "DBZ simulators". In spite of the similar English titles they're pretty much Appules and oranges. Each game has its ups and downs, but not really fair to compare the series.

That said, B3 and BT3 are the ones I have the most nostalgia for. The B3 opening song is practically scarred into my mind. And BT3 has... something else scarred in there. :shepicide:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Okay the comedic timing this episode was fantastic. The Androids got some better lines, Oolong's "I'm delicious" realization, and the awkward silence between Bulma and Trunks. I couldn't stop chuckling. :allears:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

So the Dragon Ball Heroes avatars got their new designs all set up.

I dig Genome's (Cell lookalike) wing/scarf/cape thing, kinda Gargoyles-ish.
Also hey the SS3 designs for the girls.

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 14, 2014

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

If anything most of the designs are at least unique, compared to previous iterations. The male Android's previous were all about raiding 17's closet, the first Saiyan dude, Beat, was using the same Kame-style gi Goku and pals always wore, the first Namek hero was literally Piccolo's outfit, and... the less said about the girl android, the better.

Also there are plenty of good Pokemon designs post Red/Blue.:colbert:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

Wanna know what 17 and 18's real names were? Well, now you can!

To expound on this a bit, there's more info he put forward.

Most interesting parts: Hercule's martial arts master was killed by Tao Pai-pai for making fun of his hairstyle. Buu is basically an Old One, not merely Bibidi's creation. Beerus was the one that sealed Old Kai.

Also 17 settling down with a family and having a semi-normal life is all kinds of :3:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I want to say it's gone back and forth.

Is it just a delusion, or did Toriyama comment once and say that his full name was Hercule Satan? I know it just came out that he took the name Mr. Satan from his martial arts school.

Satan is just his "martial arts" name or whatever.

His real name is Mark. (Maaku. Because Toriyama can not resist puns.)

Also Happy Piccolo Day everyone!

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 10, 2014

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Esroc posted:

And don't even get me started on Super Saiyan Bardock.

You do know Super Saiyan Bardock was from a Cardgame tie-in, right? It's about as "canon" as Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta or Broly. He got that manga special, which then got animated, purely as advertising for Dragon Ball Heroes. It doesn't really change anything about the established canon, and at most you could see it as an Alternate Universe/Timeline thing, or even work some tie-in to Dragon Ball Online (which a Bardock was "rescued" by the main villain and mind controlled into being the Saiyan Saga final boss for players, eventually breaking free and getting caught up in the Time Patrol shenanigans).

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

To be fair, he WAS about as strong as a single Saibaman.

That's going to result in relentless poo poo-talking from Nappa and Vegeta no matter what.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's fine, the next DBZ movie will just be Vegeta's Day Out where he's just hanging around, annoying his in-laws, picking fights.

Well, that KINDA was part of the 2008 special. Different set of in-laws (well, in-law) though.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Esroc posted:

Not necessarily. It's well established that the only thing keeping every Saiyan from being a Super Saiyan is lack of knowledge that the legend is true and a lack of enemies strong enough to facilitate the transformation. With the exception of Freeza and his highest ranked men, the Saiyans trump nearly everyone else in the Universe.

Throw the Saiyans on a planet where they're consistently outmatched and Super Saiyans would start popping up like weeds.

Even if they somehow got a dozen zenkai boosts after coming back, a majority of them would fall hilariously short compared to the Earth's fighters (or even some Nameks, if Nail was anything to go by). None of them could really catch up to the hilariously large difference in power between the average Saiyan and the stuff the Earthers have, powerful enemies or no. Regular Saiyans, at least the ones not like Tarble and Gine, would either fall in line or end up like this:

Although if they do take a more peaceful route, the human/Saiyan hybrids are going to start popping up exponentially. It's every other fanfic writer's dream come true, where all their hybrid OCs can show off and a true Super Saiyan bargain sale can commence!

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

crankdatbatman posted:

Ok, so outside of like that arc in Dragon Ball Multiverse, is there anything in the manga or anime that indicates Nail is powerful compared to the Z Fighters? I'm assuming he's stronger than the other Namek warriors that show up, but since they all got one-shotted by Dodoria and Zarbon that's nothing to go by. No indication is made about what the rules are for Namekian fusion powerups, so you can't go by that logically for Piccolo's fusion powerup. The only thing you have is him getting owned by first form Freeza. So seriously, am I missing something here?

Quick check shows the Namekian warriors Dodoria and Zarbon fought were as strong as Saiyan Saga Vegeta, Nail almost being a match for Recoome. So, yeah, they were drat strong even in comparison to the Saiyans, discounting Oozarus.

Woops, misread that first one. The Namekians were Nappa-tier, not Vegeta-tier. Still ain't much to scoff at.

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 13, 2014

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

crankdatbatman posted:

Where did you find this outside out of some year 2000 geocities site or a daizenshuu? Because there is no indication of that at all and Zarbon at least treats those guys as scrubs

For the Namekian fighters, it's in both anime and manga (from Dodoria's scouter) as 3,000.
For Nail, it's the same source (this time Freeza's scouter) at 42,000.

Comparatively, Zarbon and Dodoria are at 23,000 and 22,000 respectively, Daizenshuu 7 being the source.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

For the Saiyan and Freeza sagas at least they're a decent way of showing what kind of tier of sheer strength and battle power someone has. Not a total statement on fighting ability, though; if those Namekian warriors fought Nappa, they may be slightly physically weaker but they'd probably be able to hold their own due to other abilities (not the least of which being regeneration), or then you have techniques like Krillin's Kienzan, or even going all the way back to Dragon Ball itself you have the Mafuba or Devilmite Beam that can effectively bypass those tiers.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Oh poo poo new DBZA out!

http://teamfourstar.com/video/2488/

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

I didn't think I'd be scared of Cell after the age of 12. :stare:

"Hello... friend." was... more unnerving than it had any right to be.

Kami and Piccolo's argument was great though. Oh I can only wait for the backseat fighting to come. :allears:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I get the feeling that Perfect Cell is going to end up feeling a lot like Freeza, which is fine because that's about how it was in the original, but I think starting off with super-creepy Cell like this to put some distance between Perfect Cell and Freeza is a great way to keep people from accusing them of only being able to write villains one way.

That said, if I'm wrong on their Perfect Cell I'll be delighted. Just not sure where else they could take him.

They could go for a middle ground between the two. Haughty, full-of-himself, cruel and sadistic but with a tad creepier bent. Or just mimic the series and mix the personality traits of his "dads". Freeza's snarky politeness, Vegeta's arrogance, Piccolo's smarts, and Goku's more laid-back approach to fighting.

...actually, if they DO do that, but go with the Abridged personalities, poo poo could get kinda creepy really fast. Just mixing any part of Abridged Goku's personality with those others could lead to... really unnerving results.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

This song always gets me. That moment 40 seconds in just goes into a gently caress YEAH mode. Really fits the transformation, makes it FEEL like Super 3 is something even further beyond.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Bojack Unbound is another surprisingly tight movie. You'll probably like it.

It's one of the few that can be "reasonably" tossed into the anime canon without much in the way of plot hiccups, too.
(Oh god the TFS version will be glorious.)

On the subject of TFS Cooler 2, I couldn't stop laughing. That was the best, even after seeing the silly movie it came from. :allears:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Okay, Veku was hilarious. Gogeta was, of course, completely unstoppable and was only around for about 30 seconds.

I was really weirded out but the thick black lines in the Hitler vs Goten and Trunks bit. It made the whole thing look way more cartoony.

You WERE having two blonde-haired, blue-eyed supermen fighting all the Nawt-z's and Hitlerpoleon. It's hard to get any cartoonier than that.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

I can hear the song. I never watched GT. WHY CAN I HEAR THE SONG?!

Because everyone knows the song. Even if they have never heard it they know it.

They fear it by instinct.

Step into the grand tour
GRAND TOUR GRAND TOUR
Step into the grand tour Dragon Ball GEEEEE TEEEEE

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Oh my god, why is Trunks running a company? Vegeta must drink the days away.

Vegeta retaliated in a way only a dad can: growing a mustache that will embarrass his children.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Dragonball was really great, it had a mix of adventure and really fun, interesting fights. The final tournament was better than a ton of arcs in DBZ.

The thing most irritating about GT is how weak Pan is. Daughter of Gohan, one of the most powerful beings in the universe, and Videl, a pretty strong fighter in her own right, should be a badass even as a kid. Instead, she plays a far less useful Bulma-esque role. How stupid. Goten could go Super Saiyan at her age and for him it just kinda happened when he was sparring.

Back when the Dragon Ball manga ended she was kinda being set up as more like young Goku than anything else. I think she even had the Power Pole when the group popped up in the Neko Majin crossover.

Can't have that. Nobody can do anything but Goku in GT.

Multiverse may have a lot of sillier story elements mashed together but at least they went with that idea over GT's bratty incarnation.
Still waiting for Dragon Ball Heroes to toss the kid a bone and give her Super Saiyan. There are three other Super Saiyan girls already, and they even got Super 2 and 3!

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Thyrork posted:

Oh? Who are they?

Officially they're named Note (red), Viola (blue), and Forte (purple), player avatar characters alongside the the other trios (male Saiyan, Freeza clan, Namek, Majin, and Android).

e X posted:

Who got it from his mother. It's a family curse, really.

Holy crap you're right. The Ox King has it too!

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Thyrork posted:

Ha, thats nice to see. :unsmith: What game is that? I know i wont ever play it but i do remember hearing crazy things about a dragon ball z mmo years and years ago, with Sayans, Nameians and "Majin" (I forget what they called them? Buu's people.) as playable races and the pictures reminded me of it.

Dragon Ball Heroes is, of all things, a cardgame videogame series that has basically been spewing the most original content out of the series for the last few years. It's responsible for, among other things, Bardock getting Super Saiyan (the manga and animated special were advertisements for that), grown up Gotenks, Super Saiyan 3 Future and GT Trunks, Baby merged with Janemba, Future Gohan getting Super Saiyan 3, and a ton of neat little animated commercials. Also has an ongoing manga.

Official Site here.

(Should probably add something to the OP about it, methinks.)

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Monaghan posted:

I'm going to watch this movie in theaters if only to hear Chris Sabat's vegeta singing that goofy "bingo" song.

Oh god. Words cannot express how badly I need to see this now.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

HGH posted:

What even was the point of that fakeout? It was so out of nowhere too.

Piccolo always comes to Gohan's rescue in the movies.

Ergo, if Krillin wants to have an important role in the movie, he must take Piccolo's place! :pseudo:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

yeah
galo sengen

There are few things better than watching someone's reaction to that for the first time. :allears:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Are we doing the "Toriyama wanted to end the series at Piccolo/Freeza/Cell/anywhere else but where it actually ended" thing again?

Buu saga is great, though if you're really so against the concept just read the manga.

If we are it bears repeating: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/intended-end/

Toriyama was never really "forced" into continuing Dragon Ball at any significant point. He was having way too much fun, making way too much money, and the series as a whole was simply extraordinarily popular.

Also Buu Saga has more Mr. Satan, therefore it is one of the best parts in the series. :colbert:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

e X posted:

Given who superheroes are idealized male role models, it is really no wonder Gohan likes them so much.

I hold out some small smidge of hope that TFS will toss in a bit of Kamen Rider into Saiyaman.

It's his namesake, after all.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

To be fair, though, in a series with as much magic and as few (apparent) spacemen as DB, for Toriyama to go with "Aliens" rather than "Spirits/Fey Creatures/Chi" to start explaining poo poo was quite a shift.

There was only one person who figured it out.
Well, one machine, but he knew before even Toriyama knew! :pseudo:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I always compromise: The World Champ's name is Mr. Mark "Hercule" Satan. "Hercule" is his stage name.

That way all of them are correct. :colbert:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

The Kenster posted:

Reading the manga is the best way to (re)experience Dragon Ball save for a few filler bits like driving cars. The pacing isn't absolutely atrocious and some of the gags work a bit better in comic form.

The 4th wall is literally broken in one of the first few chapters (Yamcha the Bandit fight I think?). The manga holds up pretty well compared to the original anime.

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Squallege posted:

Arale should've participated in the Cell Games and beaten Cell.

Yes.

• Locked thread