Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Is the rumor that is was at one point Piccolo who was going to turn evil again true, or just another Internet hoax? Because that's something I would have really wanted to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Cozz posted:

Yesterday I decided to finally read the Dragon Ball Manga that's been collecting dust on my shelf, and I can't believe I waited this long, as Dragon Ball is hilarious. I don't think I've laughed as hard at a manga as when during the 2nd quest for the Dragon Balls Krillan positions Master Roshi's seeing Bulma's breast's so he has a nosebleed arched at the correct angle to cover the invisible man with blood so Yamcha can defeat him.. The fights have all been really entertaining, and most of them are done within a couple of chapters. I'm assuming the tone shifts around King Piccolo/Piccolo Jr arcs from the humor to set up the tone of Z that I know from the show.

Also, Rise of Cooler Abridged was pretty funny. Piccolo learning that all you have to do is punch things harder was great.

It's kinda weird, but I always thought Dragonball actually had better fights than Dragonball Z. In DBZ, there is always one guy who is clearly superior and is basically just wailing on the opponent, until they switch or one transforms, but in Dragonball, there are a couple of fights with two equally matched opponents, were it seems genuinely vague who is going to win.

Tenshinhan vs Son Goku in the final of the 22nd Tournament is easily one of my favorite fights in the entire series, but then, I loving love the tournaments.

e X fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 8, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
That they don't actually finish the the 25th tournament is one of the biggest missteps of the series. Come on Toriyama, you could have given us one last Tournament before the series ended, for old times sake.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Clearly she inherited Gohan's irrelevance gene.

Who got it from his mother. It's a family curse, really.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I guess his humanity is a victim of the same event that erased all the ki-savvy martial artist and animal people from the world in between Dragonball and Dragonball Z.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Momomo posted:

I have yet to watch/read much of Dragonball, and hearing that people like Tien and even Yajirobe get to actually like, do something is mind boggling.

Did you, and by extension everybody else who didn't watch Dragonall, never asked yourself who all these characters are and what they actually do?.

I mean, Krillin has a pretty big role on Namek, but the rest really does nothing but train offscreen until to stand on the sideline the entire time. And they never actually explain the connection between them and Son Goku, so wasn't that confusing as gently caress?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BlitzBlast posted:

Well that was back when losing to God wasn't that demeaning.

back then having your arm broken by Tenshinhan was the worst that could happen to you.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

bobjr posted:

It's a shame no one else decided to learn the Kaio-ken.

Toiyama probably forgot is existed.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I wonder if that was what the DBZA joke was about when they introduced Freeza.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

MastG posted:

Cool, now I don't need to watch the first half of the episode.

I just finished rewatching the Buu saga, which easily has the worst pacing in the entire series. During the descend into the ship, it constantly cuts back to the statues of Krillin and Piccolo and the world tournament, so the 'Previously on' segment basically has the same amount of action as the actual episode.

e X fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 16, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

bowmore posted:

That's a heck of an improvement, might actually check that out now.

That's not an improvements, that are two completely different artists. The back story arcs in between chapters specifically exists to allow the artist some rest and to create a buffer as well as showcasing other artists who don't try to emulate Toriyama's style.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Also, while Toriyama might wanted the series to end, it's not like Cell was supposed to be the final villain from the get go.

C19 and C20, aka Dr. Gero and the fat clown were supposed to be the villains for the entire arc and Toriyama only changed it when his editor complained that those were not intimidating enough. And even then, their replacements were C17 and C18, and those got sot down for being too mundane. and even after he came up with Cell, he still had to change his appearance twice. So, that Cell ended up the way he did is in typical Toriyama fashion almost an accident. I also don't think it's anymore a natural ending then post Freeza or the actual ending are. That might be because I think Cell ended up pretty boring in the end, though.

Plus, for all it's comedic overtones, Buu is actually the villain who manages to kill every single human being on earth.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 6, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BlitzBlast posted:

Gohan basically got punked because everyone wanted to see Goku and Vegeta fuse the moment the concept was introduced. It's a shame, but Vegito/Vegerot/whoever was really awesome.

It might be different if you started with DBZ, but I know that I, having watched DB three or four times before they started airing DBZ, always hated Gohan and I loved it when Goku came back. I have since warmed up to him, mostly because the Great Sayanman arc is amazing, but I still hate his dumb rage bonus.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
DBZA has really come into its own. I would say, it is actually the only real abridged series that came out of the whole idea. A lot of other projects simply use the existing footage to make their own jokes or references, but with DBZA, all the characters actually feel like exaggerated versions of their canon counterparts and as a result, the jokes are generally pretty spot on. That turned into an actual parody of the source material, which is just really entertaining to watch.

e X fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 7, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The entire world kinda forgot that Ki existed in between DB and DBZ. The finals of the 21st, 22sd and 23rd tournament included all kinds of crazy poo poo, but apparently, aside from the announcer, the world just didn't pay that much attention to the guy who grew into a giant. Also, when the official history of the world includes such events as 'The demon lord Piccolo took over the world only to be stopped b a twelve year old' you got to dispense your disbelieve a little. Not to mention that Mr. Satan is older than Goku and Co.

Still i really enjoyed the little continuity nods we got, like Piccolo concealing his identity at the Tournament or King Dog remembering Son Goku.

edit: Also, all the animal people vanished, too. Maybe those two are connected :tinfoil:

e X fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 8, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

a cartoon duck posted:

Didn't Gohan have plenty of friends in high school during the Saiya Man arc or was he an outsider, I forgot.

Since he was home-schooled before, he was a bit odd, he only really talked to the two kids who were named after writing utensils. And that was when he was already 16, so not exactly childhood friends.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Team Fourstar :allears:

Also, isn't he a world famous baseball player, or is this a fan thing? Because it seems somewhat unfair, he can still outperform every other human being on the planet without even trying.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Even disregarding his height, Vegata's looks changed a lot when he stopped being a villain.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Zenzirouj posted:

Speaking of DBZA (every other post), hasn't it been a little longer than usual since their last video?

They release a news video with updates once a month via their youtube channel. KaiserNeko apparently moved this month, in another state, and since he is the editor, July wont have a regular episode.

Speaking of their channel, they also have a series where KaiserNeko show how he edits the videos and some of the stuff is really amazing. The Cooler movie doesn't have an actual shot of Goku going Super Saiyan, so he created his own from the existing footage. That is just insane!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BlitzBlast posted:

TFS plans to end DBZA after Cell, or at least assess if the team still has the free time available to tackle Buu.

Where the hell do you get that from? The best I can find is them saying that wont make any promises and simply focusing on ending the Cell saga, which is exactly the same they said while doing Frieza. Also, why the hell are people so adamant about the 'true ending ' being after Cell? It seems to come up a lot.

e X fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 9, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Darko posted:

Saiyaman is either going to be Gohan having a psychotic break or him being so happy his dad is gone.

Given who superheroes are idealized male role models, it is really no wonder Gohan likes them so much.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Squallege posted:

Now that we've seen Gohan's love for mysteies I want Saiyaman to be played completely straight like Batman or something.

The city is afraid of me, I have seen its true face!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Why would a robot grow up?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh...my...loving...GOD.

I wonder what Team Four Star could possibly do with this.

I wonder, do they have a Japanese fanbase? I know that Yugioh Abriged had one and DBZ multiverse is translate into Japanese as well.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I can't possible decide on a favorite thing here, so I am gonna settle on Dende Little Green's bedroom eyes towards Gohan.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Dende's Borderland style title card, with musical cue, was also pretty awesome.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It's a thing of beauty:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Evolution very much feels like a finished screenplay that only got Dragonball drafted onto it very late in the process. Mostly the entire high school arc, which just, really, really doesn't work, even within the Evolution. Or the beamspam battle, with really had nothing to do Dragonball. An actual good old fashioned beam battle would actually been a pretty great way to finish the movie, you know, a la Cell and Gohan.

That said, there are still a lot of dumb nerd complaint about the movie, like people complaining that Bulma's hair wasn't entirely green.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I generally think Dragonball would have been better if they never introduced nothing past the original Super Sayajin, but yeah, combining that transformation and the great ape transformation is actually pretty cool. It also makes a lot more sense than simply SSJ 2/3. I mean, the 12 year old in my loving loves the third transformation, but its also pretty bad story telling.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Darko posted:

SJ2 wasn't really SSJ2 when it was introduced - it was just Gohan flipping the hell out.

That whole saga, everyone was trying to make a better SSJ form, and Goku/Gohan realized that it was better to just stay SSJ and control it as much as possible. Then, when Gohan got reallllyyyy mad and released everything, all his power was shown with electricity and slightly spikier hair.

The Buu saga was basically making fun of the series at that point, so Goku came up with what he called "SSJ3" just to explain it to Buu, which was a lovely transformation that didn't really make him much more powerful than Vegeta when everything is said and done (look at the jump from everyone to Gohan, and Vegeta to Goku - ie. "oh, now I might be around equal to the weakest Buu form, as opposed to getting beat up but not immediately killed by that form." Gotenks was a walking joke, so, of course he could do it as well, and, again, he accomplished basically nothing special with it either.

Toei and fans made a bigger deal about further SSJ transformations than necessary. I think they started the labeling back when Gohan went SSJ2 in the first place, and we thought of things in RPG terms back then, so framed any single thing as a "level up."

I also like the idea of SSJ4 (releasing, then controlling the Oozaru), but the execution was so, so bad

That was my suspicious as well, but I never found any information confirming it.

And yeah, you can tell when basically every single fan idea for the last 20 years was SSJ X! Fusion is a much more interesting concept and I love the Buu saga simply for those shenanigans. We live in a poorer world because we never got to see Gotan.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 29, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Shindragon posted:

Wasn't the dub saying it was Ascended Super Sayian? I recall something like that and I agree with Darko that wasn't really "levels" of SSJ2. I really enjoyed the whole aspect of that oh you can power up like crazy but you just end up really slow. Too bad Trunks learned the hard way. It goes to show that just because you have the higher power level doesn't mean you always win.

Hell did even Cell said that yeah you are way stronger than me, but you are so slow so you can't even hit me.

Also again in the camp of the SSJ4 concept was neat but really just sucked.

Everything about GT sucked. The fact they are combing two worst aspects of dragonball is bad enough.

(yes Brolly sucks. :colbert: )

Brolly is like Dragonball, as written by my mom.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Powerlevels are amazing simply because the manga outright tells you how useless they actually are to determine anything, yet nerd continuously get angry about them and make up lists with absolutely idiotically large numbers.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Thyrork posted:

I didn't think DBZ was aimed at kids? :raise:

If :thejoke: then im not sorry, not even abit.

What? Of course it is. Why would you ever even think otherwise?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
TFS is insanely popular for an Internet show, though I am pretty sure that's because of DBZ, not the other way round.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

socialsecurity posted:

Couple million? http://teamfourstar.com/video/tfs-dragonball-z-kai-abridged-parody-episode-1/ picked a random video, 250ish comments 10k facebook likes I know not everybody does either but none of that leads me to think a couple million views. Abridged is funny and all but it is not in any way responsible for DBZs fanbase that is just crazy.

The site is less than 6 month old. Here, take a look at their youtube channel, the avarage viewcount for a normal episode is 2+ millpond.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

havenwaters posted:

A short preview of DBZA ep 43 went up

I can't wait.

Eh, I am not feeling Cell yet.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

facebook jihad posted:

Might be old news, but there's a passage underneath saying Kaiserneko has been suffering health issues lately. I hope he's alright...

https://twitter.com/KaiserNeko/status/502509903622463488

He seems to be doing just fine!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
:New DBZA episode is online on their site:

http://teamfourstar.com/video/tfs-abridged-parody-episode-43-2/

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Before the rend of this arc, Vegeta will have another anger aneurysm.

But I have to say, I am still not digging this form of Cell. His first form my favorite in the series proper, mostly because he is not just a pretty boy with muscles, and I am sure the perfect form is were the real meat of jokes will come into play, but as of now, I am somewhat underwhelmed.

e X fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Without looking it up, doesn't Piccolo return to the lookout and then goes to fight C17 when they are about to close in on Kame-House?

• Locked thread