Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
That album is possibly one of my greatest guilty pleasures ever.

And based on my hazy recollection of an interview with Idol from when it was released, that album was produced directly as a result of him reading the novel. He thought it was signaling a change in everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
The album is amazing. I wrote up a review of it a little while ago, and every now and then I go back to re-immerse myself in it. That cover of Heroin is the best worst thing.

Gibson-wise, I recently got round to finishing Mona Lisa Overdrive, and I absolutely loved it. Count Zero was fun, but I never got into the military-kidnap plot thread, even though I loved the other stuff going on. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for the techno-thriller side of things when I was loving the Count so much. But MLO was great from start to finish. Wonderful cast of characters, Molly/Sally is great, the set pieces conjured some great mental images (but Gibson's generally really good at that kind of descriptive writing) and that tantalising hint at the end that there's a message from Alpha loving Centauri...awesome.

I'll be starting Burning Chrome soon. Then I'll have all of the Sprawl under my belt, and can start fresh with Pattern Recognition.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
My single favorite passage from any Gibson book that I can think of offhand:

Case found himself staring through a shop window. The
place sold small bright objects to the sailors. Watches, flicknives,
lighters, pocket VTRs, Sims Tim decks, weighted man-
riki chains, and shuriken. The shuriken had always fascinated
him, steel stars with knife-sharp points. Some were chromed,
others black, others treated with a rainbow surface like oil on
water. But the chrome stars held his gaze. They were mounted
against scarlet ultra suede with nearly invisible loops of nylon
fish line, their centers stamped with dragons or yin yang symbols.
They caught the street's neon and twisted it, and it came
to Case that these were the stars under which he voyaged, his
destiny spelled out in a constellation of cheap chrome.
"Julie," he said to his stars. "Time to see old Julie. He'll
know."

-- Thanks for bringing that Billy Idol album to my attention. I'll check that out some rainy day.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I read Neuromancer in 6th grade after my older sister bought it after seeing The Matrix and man, I did not have any clue what the gently caress was happening then. Re-read it three times since then and it's definitely one of my favorite books. I read Count Zero a few years ago and have had Mona Lisa Overdrive sitting on my shelf for...years...and still haven't read it. I tend to take a lot of time between Gibson books.

Something that I felt was never resolved at the end of Neuromancer that I don't remember Count Zero doing anything for -

The merged ur-AI says that it has contacted another AI like itself in the Alpha Centauri system, implying either alien intelligence or human technology beyond anything in the book. What's the deal here? Amphetamine-induced "HEY ALIENS WOULD BE COOL" moment of writing? Or is there something deeper I missed? Does MLO shed any light on this?

Similarly I've also read the first two of the Blue Ant series and not the third, shame on me.

The Johnny Mnemonic movie is hilarious and I remember it distinctly for the line Keanu Reeves gives about being able to hold 80 gigs on data in his head. I guess in 1995 when consumer HD capacity was barely approaching 1 GB this must have seemed revolutionary!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

my bony fealty posted:

I read Neuromancer in 6th grade after my older sister bought it after seeing The Matrix and man, I did not have any clue what the gently caress was happening then. Re-read it three times since then and it's definitely one of my favorite books. I read Count Zero a few years ago and have had Mona Lisa Overdrive sitting on my shelf for...years...and still haven't read it. I tend to take a lot of time between Gibson books.

Something that I felt was never resolved at the end of Neuromancer that I don't remember Count Zero doing anything for -

It's talked about a bit more in Mona Lisa Overdrive, but pretty much kept vague. Don't expect a big reveal.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

doctorfrog posted:

It's talked about a bit more in Mona Lisa Overdrive, but pretty much kept vague. Don't expect a big reveal.
I really appreciate this though. After all, it is a spiritual, religious entity beyond our comprehension.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mona Lisa Overdrive also has literal voodoo gods, and done in a way that is much more interesting than, say, Neil Gaiman. And I like Neil Gaiman.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I'm getting excited to read The Peripheral. I've been watching him tweet about it for a long time and now I get to finally preorder it.

I'm looking forward most to seeing where he goes next. All his trilogies are complete, so where do we get to go this time?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

I'm excited too. I was sort of hoping he'd somehow spiral even closer to "the real world" since his three trilogies have gotten progressively closer to being set in the present day, and everything from the stakes to the characters has gotten more "real" and small scale, but I guess the Blue Ant books took that about as far as it could go.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Just a quick question for anyone well versed with Gibsons trilogies. Do they all follow from each other ?! Like should I read them in the order they were written? I have previously read Neuromancer , Burning Chrome, Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive. I have a copy of Pattern recognition but am holding off on it until I have the bridge trilogy. Is this the right move?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

All three of the trilogies are self contained, and don't interact with each other so nothing to worry about there.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah, that is the wrong move. Pattern Recognition has aged much better than the Bridge books so just start it right away.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Yeah, that is the wrong move. Pattern Recognition has aged much better than the Bridge books so just start it right away.

Thanks for the advice, one chapter in!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pattern Recognition / Bigend trilogy is much closer to the present, and imo less vulnerable to time passing since its writing.

Virtual Light / Birdge Trilogy is very much 90s, and will remain so. If you're younger than say 25, it won't make a difference how long you wait. (btw not trying to be a dick, just that each decade or so has its monsters. even if you dont subscribe to gen x / millenials bullshit,

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 30, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

General Battuta posted:

I still think All Tomorrow's Parties has aged significantly better than Virtual Light and Idoru.

Pattern Recognition is the only book of his I haven't read twice yet, I feel like I should fix that. My second read of Spook Country was greatly improved by not being invested in finding out what the MacGuffin was.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
So. I've been tasked by a senior elective college class to add or change scenes in a few of the short stories from Burning Chrome. I would like your input. For my first addition, I've chosen Johnny Mnemonic.

My first idea?

1) Johnny Mnemonic. - The Junkie Dolphin wants drugs. Johnny, accompanied by a Low Tek, take a tram to the outskirts of Night City. Here on the edge of the wasteland they must buy liquid endorphins from an outpost of waste drug dealers shopping their wares. In this, I plan to explain a bit about the wastes. Namely, they are full of the few people the U.S. Government still supports and controls. People who were left behind by technology completely. The government subsidized rural reservations are segregated by mental disorder, due to the idea that in the near future mental illness lost its stigma and became a universal thing. These wasters in the government reservations were all turned over for pharmacological and cybernetic testing to corps. Of course the psychopaths in that type of environment would be the most successful, so, they are the ones the selling archaic \liquid endorphins to denizens of Night City. I would like the Low Tek to explain that as a corporate courier Johnny is in a position where he no longer acknowledges the lowest tier of the caste system. I want the Low Tek to explain that there is a tower that nobody understands raising up in the sky. At it's top is a mouth that will never be satiated, gobbling up all life in the universe. He'll say that there are 3 types of people in the world. People in the tower who understand the tower, and are allowed inside. People in the sprawl who see the tower, and will never see beyond it's reflective interior. And then there is the wasters. These people don't really know what a tower is. Since the wastes are mentioned by Gibson, but glossed over, I feel this would be productive.

Any critique? Keep in mind, this is an assignment. I wouldn't want to change anything about Gibson's early work. Though I have made a living professionally as a writer, I am not delusional enough to think that I will truly be bettering his work, nor should I try.

I also have to choose to change, or add to, one of the stories from Hinterlands to New Rose Hotel, as well as the last three classics.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

SnakePlissken posted:

-- Thanks for bringing that Billy Idol album to my attention. I'll check that out some rainy day.

They are joking.

When I was a kid who loved cyberpunk there used to be a place called alt.cyberpunk. Here, whenever a newbie would ask a question they would jokingly refer them back to the terrible Billy Idol record.

Man. I've gotten nostalgic for lovely newsgroups. Who is down for a boring argument on whether or not Nine Inch Nails is "real" industrial?

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

God Of Paradise posted:

So. I've been tasked by a senior elective college class to add or change scenes in a few of the short stories from Burning Chrome. I would like your input. For my first addition, I've chosen Johnny Mnemonic.

My first idea?

1) Johnny Mnemonic. - The Junkie Dolphin wants drugs. Johnny, accompanied by a Low Tek, take a tram to the outskirts of Night City. Here on the edge of the wasteland they must buy liquid endorphins from an outpost of waste drug dealers shopping their wares. In this, I plan to explain a bit about the wastes. Namely, they are full of the few people the U.S. Government still supports and controls. People who were left behind by technology completely. The government subsidized rural reservations are segregated by mental disorder, due to the idea that in the near future mental illness lost its stigma and became a universal thing. These wasters in the government reservations were all turned over for pharmacological and cybernetic testing to corps. Of course the psychopaths in that type of environment would be the most successful, so, they are the ones the selling archaic \liquid endorphins to denizens of Night City. I would like the Low Tek to explain that as a corporate courier Johnny is in a position where he no longer acknowledges the lowest tier of the caste system. I want the Low Tek to explain that there is a tower that nobody understands raising up in the sky. At it's top is a mouth that will never be satiated, gobbling up all life in the universe. He'll say that there are 3 types of people in the world. People in the tower who understand the tower, and are allowed inside. People in the sprawl who see the tower, and will never see beyond it's reflective interior. And then there is the wasters. These people don't really know what a tower is. Since the wastes are mentioned by Gibson, but glossed over, I feel this would be productive.

Any critique? Keep in mind, this is an assignment. I wouldn't want to change anything about Gibson's early work. Though I have made a living professionally as a writer, I am not delusional enough to think that I will truly be bettering his work, nor should I try.

I also have to choose to change, or add to, one of the stories from Hinterlands to New Rose Hotel, as well as the last three classics.

Critiques? Not offhand. But you're reminding me of one of the great early cyberpunk animes, 'Battle Angel.' You mightI'm sure you will enjoy it and some of the dialogue kinda bears directly on your tower metaphor.

And don't forget a Steely Dan namedrop. My semi-random suggestion: 'any major dude.'

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

God Of Paradise posted:

Man. I've gotten nostalgic for lovely newsgroups. Who is down for a boring argument on whether or not Nine Inch Nails is "real" industrial?

Oh god, rec.music.industrial circa 1994.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

SnakePlissken posted:

Critiques? Not offhand. But you're reminding me of one of the great early cyberpunk animes, 'Battle Angel.' You mightI'm sure you will enjoy it and some of the dialogue kinda bears directly on your tower metaphor.

And don't forget a Steely Dan namedrop. My semi-random suggestion: 'any major dude.'

I was thinking of using "The hill on Shotgun Row," or "Are you for sale? Does gently caress you sound simple enough?" as a reference, since we are revisiting a retrofuture and adding scenes to them in 2014, why not use works inspired by Gibson? Like a namedrop from Sonic Youth's The Sprawl?

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

SnakePlissken posted:

Yeah. I loved the hulking beast in that manga who was addicted to eating the endorphins straight from people's brain-stems.

The tower metaphor... I wasn't thinking about Tiphares, but vaguely remember it. I was inspired from Thomas Ligotti's work The Red Tower and a few paragraphs from My Work Is Not Yet Done.

Here, I found the exact quote I wanted to riff off of.

"The company that employed me strove only to serve up the cheapest fare that its customers would tolerate, churn it out as fast as possible, and charge as much as they could get away with. If it were possible to do so, the company would sell what all businesses of its kind dream about selling, creating that which all our efforts were tacitly supposed to achieve: the ultimate product – Nothing. And for this product they would command the ultimate price – Everything.

This market strategy would then go on until one day, among the world-wide ruins of derelict factories and warehouses and office buildings, there stood only a single, shining, windowless structure with no entrance and no exit. Inside would be – will be – only a dense network of computers calculating profits. Outside will be tribes of savage vagrants with no comprehension of the nature or purpose of the shining, windowless structure. Perhaps they will worship it as a god. Perhaps they will try to destroy it, their primitive armory proving wholly ineffectual against the smooth and impervious walls of the structure, upon which not even a scratch can be inflicted."

Thomas Ligotti - My Work Is Not Yet Done.

Not to toot the horn of Ligotti too hard. But he, in my opinion, is the best living horror writer. We lost Matheson last year... But I'm not sure even Matheson had the ability of Ligotti. Check him out.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
I guess your pet horror is a tower. Mine is a self-aware cancer, perpetually trying to metastasize all things. And the best depiction I've found of it so far is in Vinge's Fire on the Deep. I don't know what the hell that guy is doing with his 'sequels' to that novel, I think maybe he's just gone off the deep end or else he's tired and just hired a lovely ghostwriter. But I'm still hoping he'll redeem the 'series.'

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I haven't read it in a while but I'm reasonably certain "the Wastes" mentioned in Johnny Mnemonic are just the kind of places that Mona grew up in, or Dog Solitude type places?

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

precision posted:

I haven't read it in a while but I'm reasonably certain "the Wastes" mentioned in Johnny Mnemonic are just the kind of places that Mona grew up in, or Dog Solitude type places?

Yeah, I thought about the prostitute from Mona Lisa Overdrive. She grew up in what is essentially the shittier parts of Nebraska or whatever. Endless strips of boarded up minimalls, nothing special really.

But they asked me to change things that didn't need any chaging. And I've got to do the same tonight with another story.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Only two weeks until "The Peripheral" comes out. I went to his site to check the release date (October 28th) and there's now an excerpt available to read too! I mean, it could have been up there for a while 'cause I've not checked for ages, but regardless I'm pretty stoked for a new book.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blitter posted:

Only two weeks until "The Peripheral" comes out. I went to his site to check the release date (October 28th) and there's now an excerpt available to read too! I mean, it could have been up there for a while 'cause I've not checked for ages, but regardless I'm pretty stoked for a new book.

That excerpt reads like Gibson is cribbing some inspiration from Neal Stephenson, funnily enough.

Or to put it in emoticon terms: :neckbeard:

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

precision posted:

That excerpt reads like Gibson is cribbing some inspiration from Neal Stephenson, funnily enough.

Or to put it in emoticon terms: :neckbeard:

Ooh I hope he's inciting him to battle again

quote:

Neal: 

You don't have to settle for mere idle speculation. Let me tell you how it came out on the three occasions when we did fight. 

The first time was a year or two after SNOW CRASH came out. I was doing a reading/signing at White Dwarf Books in Vancouver. Gibson stopped by to say hello and extended his hand as if to shake. But I remembered something Bruce Sterling had told me. For, at the time, Sterling and I had formed a pact to fight Gibson. Gibson had been regrown in a vat from scraps of DNA after Sterling had crashed an LNG tanker into Gibson's Stealth pleasure barge in the Straits of Juan de Fuca. During the regeneration process, telescoping Carbonite stilettos had been incorporated into Gibson's arms. Remembering this in the nick of time, I grabbed the signing table and flipped it up between us. Of course the Carbonite stilettos pierced it as if it were cork board, but this spoiled his aim long enough for me to whip my wakizashi out from between my shoulder blades and swing at his head. He deflected the blow with a force blast that sprained my wrist. The falling table knocked over a space heater and set fire to the store. Everyone else fled. Gibson and I dueled among blazing stacks of books for a while. Slowly I gained the upper hand, for, on defense, his Praying Mantis style was no match for my Flying Cloud technique. But I lost him behind a cloud of smoke. Then I had to get out of the place. The streets were crowded with his black-suited minions and I had to turn into a swarm of locusts and fly back to Seattle. 

The second time was a few years later when Gibson came through Seattle on his IDORU tour. Between doing some drive-by signings at local bookstores, he came and devastated my quarter of the city. I had been in a trance for seven days and seven nights and was unaware of these goings-on, but he came to me in a vision and taunted me, and left a message on my cellphone. That evening he was doing a reading at Kane Hall on the University of Washington campus. Swathed in black, I climbed to the top of the hall, mesmerized his snipers, sliced a hole in the roof using a plasma cutter, let myself into the catwalks above the stage, and then leapt down upon him from forty feet above. But I had forgotten that he had once studied in the same monastery as I, and knew all of my techniques. He rolled away at the last moment. I struck only the lectern, smashing it to kindling. Snatching up one jagged shard of oak I adopted the Mountain Tiger position just as you would expect. He pulled off his wireless mike and began to whirl it around his head. From there, the fight proceeded along predictable lines. As a stalemate developed we began to resort more and more to the use of pure energy, modulated by Red Lotus incantations of the third Sung group, which eventually to the collapse of the building's roof and the loss of eight hundred lives. But as they were only peasants, we did not care. 

Our third fight occurred at the Peace Arch on the U.S./Canadian border between Seattle and Vancouver. Gibson wished to retire from that sort of lifestyle that required ceaseless training in the martial arts and sleeping outdoors under the rain. He only wished to sit in his garden brushing out novels on rice paper. But honor dictated that he must fight me for a third time first. Of course the Peace Arch did not remain standing for long. Before long my sword arm hung useless at my side. One of my psi blasts kicked up a large divot of earth and rubble, uncovering a silver metallic object, hitherto buried, that seemed to have been crafted by an industrial designer. It was a nitro-veridian device that had been buried there by Sterling. We were able to fly clear before it detonated. The blast caused a seismic rupture that split off a sizable part of Canada and created what we now know as Vancouver Island. This was the last fight between me and Gibson. For both of us, by studying certain ancient prophecies, had independently arrived at the same conclusion, namely that Sterling's professed interest in industrial design was a mere cover for work in superweapons. Gibson and I formed a pact to fight Sterling. So far we have made little headway in seeking out his lair of brushed steel and white LEDs, because I had a dentist appointment and Gibson had to attend a writers' conference, but keep an eye on Slashdot for any further developments. 

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That is literally the best Q&A I have ever read. Thank you.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I always remember liking Count Zero the most of the trilogy, with Neuromancer a close second, and MLO a somewhat distant third. I can't quite recall why that is, though, and I was rather young when I first read them, so maybe a re-read will help me appreciate it more.

I know the odds of it happening are basically zero, but I'd probably kill for more stories in the Sprawl, or even a proper fourth book. It's just that the series really is, to me, the platonic ideal of cyberpunk.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Blitter posted:

Ooh I hope he's inciting him to battle again

That is embarrasing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I always remember liking Count Zero the most of the trilogy, with Neuromancer a close second, and MLO a somewhat distant third. I can't quite recall why that is, though, and I was rather young when I first read them, so maybe a re-read will help me appreciate it more.

I know the odds of it happening are basically zero, but I'd probably kill for more stories in the Sprawl, or even a proper fourth book. It's just that the series really is, to me, the platonic ideal of cyberpunk.

Not sure what young you disliked about MLO but I would re-read it because for me it is easily the most beautiful and interesting of the Sprawl trilogy. The characters in it are as fresh to me now as the last time I read the book, which was at least a decade ago. Meanwhile I can barely remember what happens in Neuromancer aside from the biggest story beats.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I actually enjoyed Billy Idol's Cyberpunk :shobon:

I like Gibson and I have his new book (signed!) on preorder and am currently going through Count Zero. One thing I don't like about his writing that was more apparent in Neuromancer I guess is that he kind of over-describes things to the point where I find it hard to pay attention to the actual story and goings on when I'm reading about the intricacies of how the table the characters are sitting at is put together.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Overbite posted:

I actually enjoyed Billy Idol's Cyberpunk :shobon:

I like Gibson and I have his new book (signed!) on preorder and am currently going through Count Zero. One thing I don't like about his writing that was more apparent in Neuromancer I guess is that he kind of over-describes things to the point where I find it hard to pay attention to the actual story and goings on when I'm reading about the intricacies of how the table the characters are sitting at is put together.

Yeah, I think that's one of the reasons I like Count Zero better. It still has plenty of his visceral descriptions, but I think it strikes a much better balance with the story.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It might have to do with what you've read before also. I read Neuromancer for the first time back in '95 in high school (yep), and it thrilled me to read about a kilometer of micromolecular filament comprising the barrel of a shotgun behind the counter of a seedy bar, but that's in part because my world wasn't already filled with technobabble beyond Star Trek: TNG. My mind opened up and swallowed it whole, I loved all those pointless details.

Today, you can fire up any game and get entirely too much information about the items you pick up, so I can understand the fatigue and "get the gently caress on with the story, I'm not impressed," attitude. That stuff was rare to come across back then, at least with my limited reading experience.

Although, I'm a bit older now and would probably have the same impatient reaction as you fellows, coming at it raw. I might read Snow Crash one day, but just reading the synopsis kind of irritates me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Re-reading Snow Crash was some serious literary whiplash. I first read it in the mid-90s after reading all the Gibson I could find, it loved it. When I re-read it 10 years later, there were a lot of parts that were just awful. But even the awful stuff is entertaining in its way; as a writer myself it's pretty amazing that he got it published in that state though. If he even had an editor, it really doesn't show.

Thankfully his writing got much better very quickly.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Three Cronuts Orbiting An Author, A Study In Vaporwave

(from an article/interview in Mother Jones yesterday)

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

precision posted:

Re-reading Snow Crash was some serious literary whiplash. I first read it in the mid-90s after reading all the Gibson I could find, it loved it. When I re-read it 10 years later, there were a lot of parts that were just awful. But even the awful stuff is entertaining in its way; as a writer myself it's pretty amazing that he got it published in that state though. If he even had an editor, it really doesn't show.

I read Snow Crash for the first time fairly recently (like two years ago) so maybe that's the reason why I thought it was awful. I seriously don't get why it's so loved.

Still, I read the whole thing because while it's awful, its awfulness is kind of fascinating. I personally wouldn't describe it as entertaining though.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

precision posted:

Is it weird that I want to read it cos of this post?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Wafflehound will be glad to know I finally took his advice and started Count Zero. Is good book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Eruonen posted:

I read Snow Crash for the first time fairly recently (like two years ago) so maybe that's the reason why I thought it was awful. I seriously don't get why it's so loved.

Still, I read the whole thing because while it's awful, its awfulness is kind of fascinating. I personally wouldn't describe it as entertaining though.

I read it for the first time like two months ago. It's awful. Like, it's entertaining and there are some neat ideas in it, but it's the gooniest loving thing.

Literally about a dude who thinks katanas are better than guns and is the best virtual reality swordfighter AND hacker in the world who delivers pizzas for the mafia. Every character is written exactly the same. Apparently a minigun being named "Reason" is a hilarious pun that everyone loves, but like most of the "clever" or "funny" parts it's just horrible groan-worthy. "I told you they would listed to reason" :smug:

Don't get me wrong, I really like Neil Stephenson, but not for his characters, humor, or "action sequences", and it really shows that Snow Crash is one of his earlier books.

I hate the action scenes in all of his books.

• Locked thread