Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shoehead posted:

You should look up how many times George RR Martin says stuff like "Much and more" and "for half a groat.." it would drive you nuts.

I've been hunting Mona Lisa Overdrive and Burning Chrome for a few weeks now. Whoever decided all of Gibson's books had to have lovely composite YA looking hacker stuff on the covers is some sort of blind nazi.

amazon sort by price ascending works pretty well. Old paperbacks arent usually in high demand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pattern Recognition / Bigend trilogy is much closer to the present, and imo less vulnerable to time passing since its writing.

Virtual Light / Birdge Trilogy is very much 90s, and will remain so. If you're younger than say 25, it won't make a difference how long you wait. (btw not trying to be a dick, just that each decade or so has its monsters. even if you dont subscribe to gen x / millenials bullshit,

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 30, 2014

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Blitter posted:

Ooh I hope he's inciting him to battle again

That is embarrasing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Notahippie posted:

So, what did people take as the big themes/commentary from the Peripheral? One of the things that has interested me about his last three trilogies is the way that they honed in on a specific aspect of the decade that would end up being core to the zeitgeist of the time... in the 80s it was all about fear of Japan, corporate rule, and the rise of computers, then for the 90s it was about social media/web 2.0 stuff, and for 2000's it was all about shadow wars and spooks. I think the dude is pretty prescient, and it makes me wonder what aspect of the Peripheral is him talking about modern themes. My interpretation is that the "jackpot" and the whole idea of climate change and massive disruption, as well as the mention of post-humanity and the crazy physics of the server are the things that he's pulling out as the areas where there will be a lot of action in the near future.

Yeah, the jackpot was a nice way of making the inevitable breakdown nonspecific. It's not 100% climate change; it's not 100% limitless capialism; etc.

One thing I thought was interesting was the 3rd-worlding (I think Gibson used that word in the postscript otherwise I dunno where I got it cause I'm not that clever) the past. Third-worlding, as a verb. I know it's hella corny to get into what books are "about, you know, man?" but really, it's about this, now (as Sci-Fi always should be). Rich people will thirdworld your neighborhood if you don't stop them.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Gertrude Perkins posted:

One ((potentially majorly) spoilery!!!) thing I was puzzled about, because I think I missed a significant paragraph somewhere: Lowbeer and Griff are the same person, or rather, Griff becomes Lowbeer in that potential future? Lowbeer is referred to as 'she', but Griff as 'he'...so is future/present-Griff trans, then? Or is it some other non-gender thing I didn't catch the first time?

I thought it was pretty explicit in chapter 103, Sushi Barn:

“You’re her,” she said, looking up, meeting [Griff's] pale eyes. Not that crazy cartoon blue. Not blue at all, but widening now. A woman laughed, tables away. His hand lowered the tablet, came to rest on the table, and for the first time since the end of the ride back from Pickett’s, she thought she might be about to cry.
He swallowed. Blinked. “Really, I’ll be someone else.”
“You don’t become her?”
“Our lives were identical, until Lev’s first communication was received here. But this is no longer their past, so she isn’t who I’ll become. We diverged, however imperceptibly at first, when that message was received. By the time she first contacted me, there were already bits of my life she was unfamiliar with.
[...]
“You’re not named Lowbeer?”
“Ainsley James Gryffyd Lowbeer Holdsworth,” he said. “My mother’s maiden name. She was allergic to hyphenation.” He took a blue handkerchief from a jacket pocket. Not Homes blue but darker, almost black. Dabbed his eyes. “Pardon me,” he said. “A bit emotional.” He looked at her. “You’re the first person I’ve discussed this with, other than Ainsley.”

[in chapter 105, Static in Your Bones we get Lowbeer's side of it]

Excerpt From: William Gibson. “The Peripheral.” iBooks.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hinterlands from Burning Chrome is probably my favorite sci fi short ever. It's not connected to any of the trilogies, thouhg. It's just evocative as hell.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah it's a fantastic set of short stories. Belonging Kind creeps me out in an entertaining way. I never really got into the Gernsback Continuum, I guess I hadn't read enough old sci-fi when I first read it, and now it's too late so I can't put myself into that frame of mind again.

The dogfight and hologram rose fragment ones are great too, they're like the titular story plausibly set in the Sprawl universe.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sad is good sometimes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Snak posted:

Yeah, I can't agree more, but he kinda rapes that girl who's brain has been wired to perceive human touch as pain. That's pretty hosed up.

Ah gently caress I somehow only remembered the sad old dude playing virtual dogfights. Yeah that is awful. I should read the whole collection again sometime soon.

• Locked thread