Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
It looks bad but that's how the Pinterest algorithm trends. The same boards that are pinning cool fantasy monsters are also pinning cool fantasy men of color, so it's bringing up the most-pinned items from those boards, not necessarily things that are tagged as such. Try casting a wider net by adding stuff like "horror" "evil" "beast" or whatever until you start getting more specific results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, when I even just reverse the search terms to "monsters and villains" it gets more like what I was looking for.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i also get some weirdness from the pinterest algorithm, but since it's mostly based on things i've looked at before, i just kinda shrug and keep clicking through the things that are closest to my search terms/what i want until i get a more specific result

sometimes it helps to click through to the suggested or related pins after you click on one pin you like

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Can I request a bunch of lizardfolk? The more monstrous, the better.
I have a character I'm workshopping, but I can't draw for poo poo, so I have to hope someone else out in the world might have a similar idea.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
Got a succubus commissioned (Her name is Layla)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

bonk

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I salute you commissioning boobies for the rest of us and keeping the boobie-drawers buying groceries.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Megazver posted:

I salute you commissioning boobies for the rest of us and keeping the boobie-drawers buying groceries.

Haha, thank you!

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

One of my players made me a needle-felted doll of one of the iconic monsters from the homebrew setting we're playing! This one of the Steeds that Scream, horses with six legs, clawed feet, forward-facing eyes, and a wolf's mouth.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Can't fool me, that's clearly a Thorsby character/alien/monster

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Here are some bards.

Human

Half-Elf

Elf

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Alert! Alert! This is not a drill! The PYF insane paperback covers thread over in The Book Barn has discovered the website of the guy responsible for this timeless classic:

Grizzwold posted:

I remember finding this in the library back in high school.

Midjack posted:

Artist page here, he sells prints: https://davidmattingly.com
....and lo, it bears fruit.

madmatt112 posted:

Omg this is a goldmine

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Drakyn posted:

Alert! Alert! This is not a drill! The PYF insane paperback covers thread over in The Book Barn has discovered the website of the guy responsible for this timeless classic:

God drat, it does exist.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cool poo poo!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Drakyn posted:

Holy poo poo this guy also (according to Wikipedia) 50 out of 53 Animorphs book covers.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Figured I'd post some necromancers.

Elf

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I feel like we could use a little more :3: on the necromancer front, so…

(source)

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Got a wizard commissioned.

trapstar fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 29, 2023

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

trapstar posted:

Got a succubus commissioned (Her name is Layla)

I got this human form of the succubus from earlier done.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

trapstar posted:

Got my barbarian character "Kor, Taker of Widows" commissioned.

Just got a commission done of this guy without the skull over his face.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Just out of curiosity, why do you get all these commissions done? They look great, by the way.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Bruxism posted:

Just out of curiosity, why do you get all these commissions done? They look great, by the way.

I have a homebrew seeing I have been working on for years and sometimes finding the exact character art for important figures in the world is impossible, most of the concepts I get commissioned are very unique and niche because of this (For example the old queen and the sultan are unique because the only art of a fantasy/medieval queen you will find will be much younger and the only art of a sultan you will find will be literal illustrations of actual historical sultans). Also sometimes I get something like a basic concept commissioned because finding art for that specific thing though you think would be easy and in high supply is actually really hard. (An example would be the bandit I got commissioned - there is surprising real lack of good bandit art for a medieval fantasy setting despite it being one of the most basic enemies in most TTRPGs) Also I enjoy supporting artists and seeing my ideas come to life with their help.

Also sometimes I want to see a basic concept done well by an artist I know would be really job good at doing that particular concept (Eg: The Wizard)

trapstar fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 31, 2023

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

A count I got commissioned.

Artist: https://www.artstation.com/indigojrps

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Anybody got any Raggamuffin/Tatterdemalion/Animated clothes style monster images?

Edit: Oh, preferably in vaguely humanoid form, rather than random clothing whirling about, but I'll take what I can get.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 8, 2023

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Most readily available images online seem to be taken from a low quality scan of Monster Manual 2:

Although I do like this picture of a Raiment from the Creature Codex:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, it's harder to find than you might think, which is what drove me to ask here.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Figure I'll post some bounty hunters.

https://www.deviantart.com/jdtmart
https://www.deviantart.com/anchikusyou
https://www.deviantart.com/bogdan-mrk
https://www.deviantart.com/feael
https://www.artstation.com/yangyangppi
https://mswlotgsdn.cgsociety.org/
https://www.artstation.com/rayvenstudios

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I didn't have counters prepped in advance for a combat so I asked my players to draw me a gibbering mouther on a blank token and welp

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Whybird posted:

I didn't have counters prepped in advance for a combat so I asked my players to draw me a gibbering mouther on a blank token and welp

LOL!

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Hey, has anyone come across any good collections of character portraits of villainous, corrupt nobles, preferably with a sword and sorcery bent? I'm talking about the kind of smug assholes that will spend a short story condescending to the likes of Conan, Elric or Guts only to immediately start quivering at their feet the moment the tables are turned. I'm talking the evil chancellor that's planning on poisoning the king or the big corrupt lord who looks like a burlap sack filled with hamburger meat draped in fancy robes. Like if anyone has images of what the Skesis from The Dark Crystal would look like if they were humans, that is what I'm looking for.

KingKalamari fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 29, 2023

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

Hey, has anyone come across any good collections of character portraits of villainous, corrupt nobles, preferably with a sword and sorcery bent? I'm talking about the kind of smug assholes that will spend a short story condescending to the likes of Conan, Elric or Guts only to immediately start quivering at their feet the moment the tables are turned. I'm talking the evil chancellor that's planning on poisoning the king or the big corrupt lord who looks like a burlap sack filled with hamburger meat draped in fancy robes. Like if anyone has images of what the Skesis from The Dark Crystal would look like if they were humans, that is what I'm looking for.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Ooo, these are very nice, thanks!

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Does anyone have some fantasy/dark fantasy art with a very rainy, gloomy, maybe even nautical vibe? I have a concept for a city in the middle of a shadowy ocean constantly pelted by rain and built on top of a whimsical rear end in a top hat wizard's version of Bioshock Rapture but I'm struggling to capture the vibe cogently.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Would Bloodborne concept art be a good place to start? Yharnam doesn't quite have the rain angle but it's dark gothic fantasy all over

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

sasha_d3ath posted:

Does anyone have some fantasy/dark fantasy art with a very rainy, gloomy, maybe even nautical vibe? I have a concept for a city in the middle of a shadowy ocean constantly pelted by rain and built on top of a whimsical rear end in a top hat wizard's version of Bioshock Rapture but I'm struggling to capture the vibe cogently.

Anything from the Dishonored series should work. Especially if you want a bit of magi-tech influence.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Party Boat posted:

Would Bloodborne concept art be a good place to start? Yharnam doesn't quite have the rain angle but it's dark gothic fantasy all over

Did someone put their laundry out to dry in the rain?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

it truly is a cursed town

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Had this basic orc warrior commissioned.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Did someone put their laundry out to dry in the rain?

Someone put the cake out in the rain

Thanks for the recs btw!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Had this hedonist king commission done.