Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
drat that's a great price for a full body pose with background in that style. Cool art and cool character concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.

Wittgen posted:

drat that's a great price for a full body pose with background in that style. Cool art and cool character concept.

Thank you!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I have a bit of an odd request. I'm looking for an elf lady in field gear or civilian clothing that isn't fancy dresses, fantasy setting, optionally with a gun, who doesn't have her tits out. I've been drawing up a character concept of an elf architect or military engineer (in a sense of dealing with fortifications and sieges).

In exchange, I've been trying to reconstruct my fantasy art folder and I don't believe I've seen this one here.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I have a bit of an odd request. I'm looking for an elf lady in field gear or civilian clothing that isn't fancy dresses, fantasy setting, optionally with a gun, who doesn't have her tits out. I've been drawing up a character concept of an elf architect or military engineer (in a sense of dealing with fortifications and sieges).

This is the closest I found in my art folder so far.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Cythereal posted:

In exchange, I've been trying to reconstruct my fantasy art folder and I don't believe I've seen this one here.

Shadowrun character art would probably be your best search.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Here are some of my favorite fantasy character art pieces. Maybe someone here could find inspiration in one of these pictures for a character. (Sorry if I've posted one or two already)

Female Martial

Female Fighter

Gnomes

Halfling Gambler

Gnolls

Elf Mage

Fighter

Knight

Bard

Thief

Assassin

Mercenary

Bounty Hunter

Sorcerer

Witch

Mage

Necromancer

Druid

Serf

Town Guard

Cleric

Half-Orc

Half-Elf

Mermaid

Angel

Ogre

Drow

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum
Looking for a couple things that I've struggled to find in the past, and someone in this thread always seems to have some weird gems at the ready.

1) Low-level female fighter types from more common backgrounds. Not knights or squires in full plate, not elf princesses with immaculate hair and jeweled weapons, not some fancy outfit with all sorts of bespoke bullshit. Like a farmgirl who ran off and found some sort of beat-up old sword and board and and some leather armor that got pieced together.
So more like these

2) Scholars, scribes, or librarians of any monster races. Trying to avoid the look that's just "here's a goblin wizard with a book!" and find something that reads as being a bit more academic.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Hobbes posted:

Looking for a couple things that I've struggled to find in the past, and someone in this thread always seems to have some weird gems at the ready.

1) Low-level female fighter types from more common backgrounds. Not knights or squires in full plate, not elf princesses with immaculate hair and jeweled weapons, not some fancy outfit with all sorts of bespoke bullshit. Like a farmgirl who ran off and found some sort of beat-up old sword and board and and some leather armor that got pieced together.
So more like these

2) Scholars, scribes, or librarians of any monster races. Trying to avoid the look that's just "here's a goblin wizard with a book!" and find something that reads as being a bit more academic.

Not sure I'll be much help for request number 2, but here's something I found for request 1.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Shadowrun character art would probably be your best search.

I ended up taking a different tack, using just a portrait that a kind goon sent me. Going instead with more of a quartermaster/HQ type of character.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Hobbes posted:

Check out Codex Inversus on Instagram. It's a world building exercise using collages made from vlassical art.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Got this commission done of a comfy fantasy peasant farmer. All the artwork I found of peasant farmers were shoeless mudcore peasants with missing teeth. Figured I’d get this artwork done for people who want to run more comfy fantasy settings like myself.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Doing [some deity’s] work there in commissioning nom-grim peasant art.

Also mudcore is my new word of the day.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah peasants didn't dress in sack cloth and rags unless they had a really harsh lord, and really harsh lords tended to get overthrown eventually or lose battles and get demoted. Yet people always think peasants lived absolutely poo poo lives.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Breugel the Elder's contemporary paintings of peasants I think provide pretty good idea of early modern peasant clothes, at least for the low countries:

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Reminds me of this:

When I was growing up all the medieval books and cartoons I watched as a kid depicted the middle ages as vibrant and colorful. Even the medieval-type illustrations in Where's Waldo were bright and colorful.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's because it was bright and colorful. Medieval people had access to dyes, some of them hand made, others shipped by merchant, and they had soaps that would remove most grease stains, if with a bit of effort. People also didn't just roll around in the muck and get dirt on everything.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
What they didn't have were permanent dyes in some colours.

Some specific dyes, such as royal or Tyrian purple (made from murex, a kind of sea snail) and crimson (made from kermes insect eggs - they laid them on oak - or slightly later carminic acid, usually retrieved from a different bug native to America, blanking on its name but Spain made a lot of money off carmine) were extremely expensive, because they are made from something difficult to harvest, did not fade and had brilliant colouring. Others, like true indigo, just didn't grow in Europe; they used woad for that shade instead, which comes out the same colour but is less consistent and fades/washes out faster.

So yeah, you wouldn't see those specific hues, but they are very specific: reds and to a lesser extent purples were available, just not that red or purple unless you were rich. But dye in general? Everywhere. People like colours, as it turns out.

As for the mud... eh. There was definitely more of it in towns and cities (and horse poo poo anywhere there were horses) but it wouldn't be slathered over everything, no.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

trapstar posted:

Reminds me of this:

When I was growing up all the medieval books and cartoons I watched as a kid depicted the middle ages as vibrant and colorful. Even the medieval-type illustrations in Where's Waldo were bright and colorful.

I'm dying to read the eventual art history thesis on this. I remember it being a thing in video games around when Gears of War was popular that grey & brown are "realistic" in a way that green, red, blue, etc are not, as if the only way to produce grass was digital. It's patently absurd, but somehow seemed to be accepted not just in video games but in movies, and I'm really really curious to understand where and how that came about. Like does it have some tie-in with the GWOT and how art about GWOT always portrays the middle east as just brown and the linkage in American media between the victims of the GWOT and the past? There's a lot going on here and, as anybody with even the barest understanding of history can point out, utterly ludicrous.

The torches are a particularly funny touch. There's a part of my brain that wants to blame specifically DnD for making torches too cheap and effective, but it's so funny that art that is medieval adjacent has people using torches just for everything. Maybe something to do with British English using "torch" to mean flashlight?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'd be very surprised if there aren't already a few relevant grad theses. You'll just be hard-pressed to find them, because they'll have titles like "Cum primes deit sun cors descrivre: Digital hermeneutics and the Norse shitfarmer 800-950"

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 24, 2022

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Tulip posted:

I'm dying to read the eventual art history thesis on this. I remember it being a thing in video games around when Gears of War was popular that grey & brown are "realistic" in a way that green, red, blue, etc are not, as if the only way to produce grass was digital. It's patently absurd, but somehow seemed to be accepted not just in video games but in movies, and I'm really really curious to understand where and how that came about.

A few books on the history of colors (not super academic, but informed) posit it is due to the influence of certain strains of Christianity, where bright colors were associated with 'sinfulness', which had knock-on effects for all of Western oriented media through the centuries.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I need character art for a female orc pirate. Axe-wielded preferred but not required.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

I need character art for a female orc pirate. Axe-wielded preferred but not required.

Here's what I could find.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

MtG has some good orc pirates. Maybe Direfleet Neckbreaker or Captain

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tulip posted:

I'm dying to read the eventual art history thesis on this. I remember it being a thing in video games around when Gears of War was popular that grey & brown are "realistic" in a way that green, red, blue, etc are not, as if the only way to produce grass was digital. It's patently absurd, but somehow seemed to be accepted not just in video games but in movies, and I'm really really curious to understand where and how that came about.

In the 2000-2005 time frame, games were Extremely Gray and Brown to a comical degree partially because it was an easy way to conceal how low-res your textures were.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Bright colors are also just artistically more challenging. You can't really go aggressively wrong with extremely drab colors - just aggressively boring - whereas there's a lot of subtlety to what makes brighter colors work, or not work. I think people have a tendency to default to greybrown because it's easy.

Don't need no color theory if you've got no color.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Elukka posted:

Bright colors are also just artistically more challenging. You can't really go aggressively wrong with extremely drab colors - just aggressively boring - whereas there's a lot of subtlety to what makes brighter colors work, or not work. I think people have a tendency to default to greybrown because it's easy.

Don't need no color theory if you've got no color.

They also don't reflect that much light so it was easier to render graphics that way without good light baking. The light they did reflect also didn't influence local color that much either.

Oddly enough DICE back then found a solution for realistic graphics that only worked with Super saturated bright colors. Which is why Mirror's Edge looked the way it did. Eventually people found a catch all solution and that is why games started having a range of color again *Insert the more you know gif*

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

I really liked the colors in the game Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Anyone have any good examples of fantasy or sci-fi art that is clearly just the artist's nerdy friends being drawn as heroes? I remember this being a big thing with the covers of fantasy RPG modules and 80s sci-fi covers but am having a little trouble finding them.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alex Ross uses a lot of his friends for poses but he cleans them up so they look heroic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Wittgen posted:

MtG has some good orc pirates. Maybe Direfleet Neckbreaker or Captain
Dire Fleet Neckbreaker happened to be perfect for what I was looking for once I found a higher-res version, thank you.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Remembered this example

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

Dire Fleet Neckbreaker happened to be perfect for what I was looking for once I found a higher-res version, thank you.

Nice. Sorry I was phoneposting and didn't notice how low res those were.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

Alex Ross uses a lot of his friends for poses but he cleans them up so they look heroic.

Tim Bradstreet did this as well, in between using still photos and such, for his gaming portfolio. I am pretty sure the physical trainer friend he used as the model for the Punisher when he was doing those covers for Marvel was also the same person who was the basis the Tir Tairngire special forces operator Blackwing in Shadowrun 1st and 2nd editions.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Here is a commission I got of a powerful and extravagant king.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Here are a couple dukes I have found. Looking for more if you guys have any.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Got another king commissioned.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

trapstar posted:

Got another king commissioned.

Get two more and you'll be near unbeatable in poker!

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Samovar posted:

Get two more and you'll be near unbeatable in poker!

Haha! In my setting these two kings kingdoms are engaged in a 100s years war with each other.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/GameResTrez/status/1567707956292251648?s=20&t=aKNkrqA6GdAvT2f-E5FYzQ
https://twitter.com/asudogi/status/1568114041851346945?s=46&t=aih6ku6r9U3fqr6dX7B1kw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

If I ever were to make a hard LN Peacemaker type character this is the art I'd use.