Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
This guy illustrated the Ainulindalė, which the bigger dorks here will recognize as Tolkien's creation myth for Middle Earth. It's very particular to that universe but as fantasy art goes, there's some gorgeous stuff in there:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Those are incredible and just what I was looking for. More of this sort of thing, thread!

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

VanSandman posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to look for it, but I'm looking for some "lonely-out-in-space" tunes. The kind of thing that's mainly one instrument, maybe one person singing, very isolation-y sound. Any good recommendations?

Lots of stuff from Cowboy Bebop might work. Is "Space Lion" too lush? You could also probably go with any of the Stella By Moor/Singing Sea variations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKnVaDwUg5s

And here is a medieval chant sung by a single person that sounds pretty otherworldly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WY_B806vTI

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 9, 2014

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

The children of Oklahoma could really use the healing wisdom of Baphomet though, so there's that.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAA :gonk:

Horse skulls already scare the poo poo out of me and that is so much worse.

Don't ever google the mari llwyd then. :gonk:

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Seriously, wtf, Wales. I thought midwinter was a time for people in northern hemispheres to come together and attempt to comfort one another as dire wolves eat the sun. Not in Gwent, apparently!

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Water beasts don't get enough love. Jenny Greenteeth, Black Agnes, Bunyip, I guess maybe the various washers at the ford? Well, no, I guess those last ones just tell you you're hosed, they don't drag you under. But still! The kelpie comics rule!

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

thelazyblank posted:

So, I'm about to play a Gnome Commander for a skype-based 13th Age game. Unfortunately, I'm terrible at google and Gnome Commander is a GUI for GNOME. Also, World of Warcraft near-naked gnomes have taken over my GIS. :argh:

Please help me, people of the Hot Modrons! Gender not important, just looking for something neat that looks like he or she would be taken seriously after the initial "lol u short" reaction.

That is a tough one. This guy has an etsy shop full of combat (garden) gnomes, and that was the best I could find.

Still. The little guys do have a certain je ne sais quois:

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 27, 2014

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

This article has Soviet-era Russian illustrations of Lord of the Rings in sort of Byzantine style. More galleries here, too.

Edit: Oh god, this one even references the Bayeux Tapestry:

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 7, 2014

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Image dump. Every so often I get curious about my favorite paperback covers and who illustrated them. Today I found Leo and Diane Dillon. You probably will recognize some of their work; they were a team for something like 40 or 50 years and have done just shitloads of covers and children's books. I love their weird, super-trippy 70s style:

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

For sure, I've already got the relevant stuff for my character in particular, I was more alluding to the lines of I've not actually seen a blend of cyberpunk and African themes in general, you know?

This was pages back but have you heard of Janelle Monae?

The video for Many Moons is pretty afrofuturist (and awesome) (and full of robots).