Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Why aren't there more stories about boys who turn into magic prices in order to battle evil? I'm sensing an untapped market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

So I somehow stumbled onto this Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/lindybeige which talks a lot about actual ancient weapons and armor. Everything from the intricacies of chainmail, and how twohanded swords were used on that battle field, to why you want the grip in the middle of shield and how a scyth is about the worst possible weapon to pick if your planning a peasant revolt.

Anyway he makes a very interesting point about fantasy weapons in on of his videos: Most fantasy weapons are base on real world weapons which were designed to fight other people. They were not designed to take down 30 foot long armored monsters. It doesn't matter if you have a katana, a claymore, or a falchon, they all suck if you facing a giant acid spiting hydra or the like.

Does anyone have pictures of Monster Killing weapons. Things that look like they were clearly designed to take down inhuman target, Medieval tech or earlier preferably.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Not exactly realistic but the Monster Hunter series definitely has some weapons that look like they were designed for killing thing more then tree times your size. The fact that most of them are made from bones claws an other assorted bits of said monsters doesn't hurt.

A bit to flashy for my tastes, but dedicated monster killing weapons are surprisingly rare it seems. You would think with how common stories and games about fighting giant fantasy monster are that there would be other examples of specialized monster fighting weapons out there.

edit: I just remembered the dragon slayer greatbow from Dark Souls:

It shoots specially designed arrows the size of javelins and has a spike on the bottom that you plant into the ground to hold the weight of the bow when you draw it.

edit mk2: VVVVVV Timing, I just finished editing my post to include the great bow when I saw your reply VVVVVV

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 13, 2014

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Comrade Gorbash posted:

A punch of well thought out words on hunting large and dangerous beasts.

This topic has produced far more discussion then I expected. However I occurs to me now that for every 20+ foot tall fantasy monster there are a hell of lot more in the 8 to 15 foot tall range, like ogres, giants, minotaurs and so on. Things that aren't gigantic, but they are much bigger then you, and there also smart enough to wield weapons of their own. Which requires entirely different tactics to bring down, luckily while historically people didn't inven't a hell of a lot of way to take down things that were 20 feet tall they did even a hell of a lot of way to take down things that were 8 feet tall, weighed over 1 ton, and were heavily armed aka cavalry.

Now the simplest solution is to just get a bunch of your friends together and get some really long sharp sticks.

But that's not always an option for your average adventuring party but your still going to want something to negate the range disadvantage. Luckily the late middle ages that most fantasy worlds seem to be perpetually stuck in is nothing if not a cornucopia of sharp thing on the end of sticks for the purpose of killing things form a safe distance.

And then there's always the classic fantasy cliche, really big swords.

Most likely developed as a counter to very pike formations pictured above, without leaving you defenseless against cavalry the way a sword and shield would. Those spike you see on some of the blades aren't just for show they serve as a second crossgaurd and the area behind them isn't sharpened so you can grip your hand there and wield the weapon as a short spear instead of sword if your defending against cavalry or are simply too close to swing the weapon effectively. These would probably kill an ogre or like fairly nicely assuming you were able to get close enough to use it without getting your face smashed in.

Now if non of those options appeal to you there's also always the romantic option.

The momentum of over a ton of metal and flesh moving at over thirty miles an hour all brought to bear on a single point. Your probably only going to get one shot, but if you hit you seriously going to ruin someone day.

Although this whole thing may be a bit off topic so here's some of the raddest angels from MTG just in case.

Iona, Shield of Emeria from Zendikar

Chancellor of the Annex from New Phyrexia

Firemane Angel from Ravnica

Pristine Angel From Mirrodin

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

parabolic posted:

Bismuth golem owns really hard, a living embodiment of one of the coolest crystals out there.

Wouldn't that actually be a Bismuth elemental?