Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pathfinder is when you really want to be super simulationist but still have magic, 4e is more a group of murderous super hero hobos who bend reality by rolling a dice and rollplaying an explanation as to why standing on each other shoulders allow them to suplex the giant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
A notable difference might be the way movement works, specifically Move being an action rather than "how much I can move during my turn, possibly doing other poo poo in the middle"
Also, 5ft step aka shift 1 is a move action.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

wallawallawingwang posted:

It's less of a rules thing than a gaming philosophy thing. Out of combat, 4e works best with on a "anything not forbidden is allowed" approach to problem solving, exploration, and social interactions. Pathfinder skills, abilities, feats, spells and items tend to be more cut and dry and more specific in terms of what they can or cannot do. For example, in 4e if a player wants to wall run the resolution is purely up to the DM and group to figure out. In pathfinder there are a hand full of dedicated wall running powers, so some players think they can only wall run if they have an ability that specifically lets them.

The rules listed for jumping vertically in 4e piss me off enough as is. If my players want to jump 50 feet in the air and axe kick a giant robot, I'm not gonna tell them no!

tzirean posted:

Yes. My players started enjoying my games a lot more when I took down the screen and started rolling in the open.

It's probably my gaming history but the very idea of the GM hiding his rolls from the players is baffling to me.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Prison Warden posted:

It's probably my gaming history but the very idea of the GM hiding his rolls from the players is baffling to me.
Because I use Masterplan for about 90% of my dice rolling, it's pretty well unavoidable, and that makes me kind of sad, but not enough for me to give it up... Whenever I need to roll outside of it, it's public; that's the best I can do.

Before Masterplan, I rolled everything in the open. With the brand new Zeitgeist campaign I'm starting up next week, I'm not sure which way I'll go.

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014
Wait, Axe Kick?

Like, with an axe on their foot?

Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Brewsuke posted:

Wait, Axe Kick?

Like, with an axe on their foot?

Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

An axe kick, in many martial arts, is a type of kick wherein you raise your leg straight up to eye level, and then bring your foot, heel first, down onto your target. Not unlike the way someone chopping wood brings up an axe and then chops downward.

When it hits, it's pretty devastating.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 7, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Error 404 posted:

An axe kick, in many martial arts, is a type of kick wherein you raise your leg straight up to eye level, and then bring your foot, heel first, down onto your target.

I like the other idea better though.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Error 404 posted:

An axe kick, in many martial arts, is a type of kick wherein you raise your leg straight up to eye level, and then bring your foot, heel first, down onto your target.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bhfPU8v64s

Andy Hug was famous for them.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Prism posted:

I like the other idea better though.

Now I do too.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

Same, but mostly because my group only has one set of dice. It's fine, though; if the d20 lands on the other side of the table when it's Monster Time, I get to ask the players do some attack rolls against themselves.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

aegof posted:

Same, but mostly because my group only has one set of dice. It's fine, though; if the d20 lands on the other side of the table when it's Monster Time, I get to ask the players do some attack rolls against themselves.

We started doing this in my last campaign and it's hella fun. It creates an air of tension, and it means you don't have to ask for defenses!

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Personally 4e is the only game that I use a screen in anymore. And it's not even about hiding my rolls(players will sit to the side of me and watch the dice.) My screen just has things like likely monster stat blocks, encounter/loot tables, and other stuff I may need to reference during the game. Because I really hate having to shuffle through printouts or books in the middle of a fight.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Gau posted:

We started doing this in my last campaign and it's hella fun. It creates an air of tension, and it means you don't have to ask for defenses!

I am toying with the idea of static monster attacks and active player defenses. Basically, the monster's attack becomes a DC 10 + attack bonus, and the players get defense rolls which are the defenses - 10 + 1d20. That way they have to actively try to block/dodge/resist the attacks while I am just standing there spouting numbers like an rear end in a top hat accountant. Has anyone tried something like that?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rexides posted:

I am toying with the idea of static monster attacks and active player defenses. Basically, the monster's attack becomes a DC 10 + attack bonus, and the players get defense rolls which are the defenses - 10 + 1d20. That way they have to actively try to block/dodge/resist the attacks while I am just standing there spouting numbers like an rear end in a top hat accountant. Has anyone tried something like that?
I remember it being an official 'variant rule' in some of the previous editions. It's very useful if your players feel like they're not getting to participate enough during the enemy turns. However, if there's already a lot going on, with interrupts and triggered abilities, and what-have-you, it might be best to keep things simple.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I will say this for 3.5 and by extension that method, when I played a session last year, it made for amazingly fast DM turns when he could just say "you three, roll a Reflex save DC 14, *roll* 12 damage, 6 if you pass" rather than roll one attack for everyone affected.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah, I definitely read about it first in the 3E DMG, though I remember that it was opposed rolls instead of passing the attack DC.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Rexides posted:

What I've taken to doing when I DM is having monster attack rolls as 1d20+1d8+monster level. That way you'd have fewer numbers to spout, since monster level should rarely be higher than party level+2.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Rexides posted:

I do this, and I like it a lot better. Let the DM call the rolls, and the players determine how they turn out (it's a fun reversal of the power dynamic that keeps players engaged and spreads the work out for the DM).

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
How do goons around here feel about Superior Implement training?
Does it basically qualify as a feat tax?

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

I'd say that they provide enough benefits to edge themselves out of feat tax territory. Like, I don't feel cheated when I take a superior implement feat, because they always provide some sort of icing on the cake of a build. And they're certainly not necessary for effective characters.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I'm currently playing four characters that use implements and only two have superior implement training. It's not, imo, significantly different than Superior Weapon Proficiency.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

P.d0t posted:

Nope, it qualifies as a nice thing to have, not a bugfix.

Honestly, I hate searching for feats so much, I am almost relieved when there is an obvious choice to take.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

P.d0t posted:

It's not a feat tax, but at the same time, it's another +1 to hit (because let's face it 90% of implement users will go after the accurate implement). Which in the grand scheme of things is something that most classes will focus on. It's a boring feat, and most likely mandatory, but not always.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Accurate implement is something I try to fit in before the end of Heroic, but I don't consider it a tax, and don't (particularly) feel cheated of it using a weaplement that doesn't qualify). Anything that's not +1 to hit is almost never worth having though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Awesome. I'm starting a new Zeitgeist game for my 4e group on Wednesday, and now I'm going to be a player in a 4e game starting Saturday.

They need a melee striker, and I can't decide between Half-orc thief (maybe using spiked chain training?) or pixie rogue (fey beast tamer).

I was leaning former - simple classes don't faze me, and I like the idea of a beefy jock "thief" - but I think I've talked myself into the latter because I want a blink dog steed.

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014

dwarf74 posted:

Awesome. I'm starting a new Zeitgeist game for my 4e group on Wednesday, and now I'm going to be a player in a 4e game starting Saturday.

They need a melee striker, and I can't decide between Half-orc thief (maybe using spiked chain training?) or pixie rogue (fey beast tamer).

I was leaning former - simple classes don't faze me, and I like the idea of a beefy jock "thief" - but I think I've talked myself into the latter because I want a blink dog steed.

Honestly, I think the bigger to-hit bonuses and almost ridiculous amount of ways to get combat advantage with a Thief is well worth it. It makes up for the lack of Encounter or Daily powers with its maneuverability. Of course, I've never played past Heroic, so I can imagine its damage running a little thin higher up in levels.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Brewsuke posted:

Honestly, I think the bigger to-hit bonuses and almost ridiculous amount of ways to get combat advantage with a Thief is well worth it. It makes up for the lack of Encounter or Daily powers with its maneuverability. Of course, I've never played past Heroic, so I can imagine its damage running a little thin higher up in levels.
Oh, I agree. But I think after consideration I am getting most of what I want out of the normal Rogue. I just figure it's a tad more variety, and I like the Fey Beast Tamer theme. Also, I'll get more Control stuff, and that's a plus.

I really do like Thieves, though. They're a solid class with a lot of fun tricks. Man, I am so torn here...

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014
Well, if variety's what you wanna go for, then by all means go Scoundrel.
Also, you can make a rogue that uses hammers, if you wanna be a dwarf and take a feat for it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Brewsuke posted:

Well, if variety's what you wanna go for, then by all means go Scoundrel.
Also, you can make a rogue that uses hammers, if you wanna be a dwarf and take a feat for it.

You could, but it would SUCK. You'd be down 2 or 3 points to hit (1 for weapon talent, 1 for prof, 1 for using a race without +DEX), and a huge wad of damage and accuracy support from using Light Blades, in order to pay a feat for a slightly bigger damage die. When, as a Rogue, your damage comes from Sneak Attack, and you need to HIT to land it.

Use daggers, reflavour your daggers as *whatever you want them to be*.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I love the idea of a dwarf rogue wielding tiny crafting hammers and striking enemies' pressure points with them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One of my players has made a paladin with STR and CHA 12 and CON and WIS 18. His reasoning is that he doesn't care so much about hitting as about soaking up damage and being able to Lay On Hands, and he's planning to take mainly powers with effects.

I don't think this is altogether very sensible but I'm just gonna let him do his thing and prepare to provide ample opportunity to reassig ability scores for when he stops having fun.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

He will learn to care when he spends every loving standard action missing, or his allies get absolutely pasted constant because his Challenge and Sanction do basically nothing.

There's no point attacking him when the only penalty is -2 to hit and tiny damage. Ignore him, mash his squishies.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

My Lovely Horse posted:

One of my players has made a paladin with STR and CHA 12 and CON and WIS 18. His reasoning is that he doesn't care so much about hitting as about soaking up damage and being able to Lay On Hands, and he's planning to take mainly powers with effects.

I don't think this is altogether very sensible but I'm just gonna let him do his thing and prepare to provide ample opportunity to reassig ability scores for when he stops having fun.
On one hand, it's really admirable that he doesn't care about his stats so much as his character. On the other hand, 4e's not really a good system for that! I mostly agree with thespaceinvader, but don't just pound his poo poo into the dirt and frustrate him.

Let him go through a battle or two like that, and then, when he starts to get frustrated, offer him a chance to change his stats... and a minor bonus feat or somesuch to represent the toughness-and-strong-will that he seems to really want to convey. Maybe pop him Improved Defenses as a bonus feat, if he doesn't have it already.

VVV: Sounds like a plan.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 9, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

He spent a lot of time marking minions yesterday, so they did have a bit of an incentive to attack him - but then, that's only drawing fire from one minion.

I am playing most of my monsters pretty smartly already in that I concentrate fire, target low defenses when possible etc. But he's pretty big on the idea that monsters and PCs should work roughly the same so I think I could also lead by example here. Introduce a dwarf Blackguard antagonist who effectively draws the PCs attacks by sanctioning them with high necrotic damage and puts his damaged allies back up all while hitting hard, and when he starts wondering how he could learn to do that I tell him all he has to do is swap STR/CON and WIS/CHA.

But if this works for him and continues to work for him, I'm down. Just might reduce my XP budgets a bit to make up for the unexpectedly low damage output.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 9, 2014

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The other suggestion would be... change him to a Battlemind. Stats fit perfectly. Swap one of the BM features for Lay On Hands. Ubertough character with ubertough stats, but character which actually works.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

dwarf74 posted:

What level are you playing at? At level 1 thieves are the most damaging class in the game with only the barest of charge optimisation.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

AXE COP posted:

What level are you playing at? At level 1 thieves are the most damaging class in the game with only the barest of charge optimisation.
We're starting at 1. (And more than a fire elementalist? I thought those were king of the hill at 1.)

I'm only doing moderate charop and don't want to make a charge-thief. :)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The difference between top and bottom of the heap is pretty tiny at level 1, though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

thespaceinvader posted:

The difference between top and bottom of the heap is pretty tiny at level 1, though.
Yep, true! I'm just thinking that charge would be but one trick in a bag of tricks rather than the whole bag, you know?

You know, after thinking about it, one of only other two PCs I got to run in 4e was a half-orc with a spiked chain - though he was a Tempest Fighter, not a Thief - so I think I'll go with the sprite...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

If you want to optimise damage, you kind of have to pick a trick and stick with it unfortunately. Charging's a decent one, but multi-attacking is still king.