Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Transient People posted:

You're not trading an action for an action though -- you're trading two actions for an action, because you're popping your ally's Reaction to let them Strike. Which...seems weak, just mathematically speaking. Given that an average monster has like 280 HP at level 15, for example, I just don't see how +1 to attack rolls or +Modifier to damage helps a lot. Absolute best case scenario, that let you do 10% more of a monster's HP if your buddy strikes and hits 3 times in a round. By contrast, a 4e warlord at a comparable level (so, level 20-23) could call down a Hail of Steel and literally just instantly kill a standard monster, or drat near close enough, by generating between two to four attacks off-turn depending on the party's composition, plus their own base hit. If I'm skeptical, it's because I wrote the book on playing the Warlord in 4e. I know what it could do out the box and what it could manage with a little bit of effort. It's hard to see the Marshal being anywhere near as destructive as that.

This is PF2 in a nutshell, it works very hard to present options that look cool then work to make sure they're not too cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm looking to start running a 4th edition game on vtt, and was wondering there were any srd or vtt compendium type tools to make the game easier than just having a bunch of pdfs open on a second screen? Masterplan sounds like it might help but the link in the OP is dead.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's this online compendium. My group uses it all the time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Been thinking about Eberron lately. I got the two 4e books, how are the adventures? Any good Eberron 4e fanstuff or Dragon magazine articles/adventures?

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Been thinking about Eberron lately. I got the two 4e books, how are the adventures? Any good Eberron 4e fanstuff or Dragon magazine articles/adventures?

I feel like the level 1 adventure from the Eberron campaign book is a really solid intro to to 4e. I used that to lead into Seekers of the Ashen Crown, which is rather linear and I feel like makes a couple odd assumptions (primarily assuming that when the fantasy CIA asks the players to join, they'll just be like "yeah sure" and loyally go on the mission, though you could solve that by actually reading the book ahead of time before character creation and making sure people are all on the same page), but overall, I liked it. Some solid fights, an interesting plot, and generally flavorful. However, I would recommend just leveling them when the book wants them leveled rather than tracking XP and ignore any optional encounter. Otherwise, you're just adding in filler fights to make a number bigger in a system where fights take a while and work best as important setpieces. Also don't be afraid to drop other encounters if you personally don't find them interesting or they wouldn't fit your pacing. I don't think any of the actually planned out fights are bad, but some are definitely more interesting and important than others.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Oh that's something I'm gonna in pretty much all level-based systems from now on.

Thanks for the rec, I don't have the Ashen Crown book but shouldn't be too hard to find if I want to do it.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'm looking to start running a 4th edition game on vtt, and was wondering there were any srd or vtt compendium type tools to make the game easier than just having a bunch of pdfs open on a second screen? Masterplan sounds like it might help but the link in the OP is dead.

You should probably join the 4e discord and check out the resources channel.

Edit #475: Since dwarf74 isn't concerned about it, I'll put the link back in for convenience. Masterplan v12

Also, this is in the resources channel, but it's too handy not to post: an add-on for Masterplan to export monsters for use in Roll20 or Foundry.

One Legged Ninja fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 1, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One Legged Ninja posted:

And here's the updated Master plan Github.
the what

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 1, 2022

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

holy loving poo poo

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

One Legged Ninja posted:

You should probably join the 4e discord and check out the resources channel. And here's the...

Edit: oops, I forgot that has the libraries in it. Well, you can find Masterplan at GitHub, but I'm not linking :filez:
I don't think this qualifies as filez?

Regardless Holy poo poo!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

One Legged Ninja posted:

You should probably join the 4e discord and check out the resources channel. And here's the...

Edit: oops, I forgot that has the libraries in it. Well, you can find Masterplan at GitHub, but I'm not linking :filez:

I was already in that discord :)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The what

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

dwarf74 posted:

I don't think this qualifies as filez?

Regardless Holy poo poo!

Works for me. I put the link back in.

One Legged Ninja posted:

You should probably join the 4e discord and check out the resources channel.

Edit #475: Since dwarf74 isn't concerned about it, I'll put the link back in for convenience. Masterplan v12

Also, this is in the resources channel, but it's too handy not to post: an add-on for Masterplan to export monsters for use in Roll20 or Foundry.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Thanks!

Yeah, it's not as if you can subscribe to any of this poo poo anymore or give anyone money for it.

I can't believe Masterplan is still ... like ... around. Goddamn that was amazing for running the game.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I've been using a legacy version of Masterplan for ages without any of the old libraries just to simplify building monsters and rolling initiative, and I've been terrified about what will happen to my game when the only laptop I have that still runs it dies. This is legitimately amazing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I always thought the only thing that Masterplan still needed was a lighting system. One that actually fits the mechanics of 4E and puts entire squares as either brightly lit, in low light or dark individually, based on the actual line of sight/effect mechanics.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm gonna say that if that Github repo stays up, that's indicative that any rightsholders no longer gives a poo poo, since Github is reasonably visible, and responsive to IP claims. So I'm comfortable with linking to it.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I'm starting Zeitgeist because dammit my friends and I are gonna do at least one 1-30 in our life. Any advice on running it past "ACAB accept the premise" and "the naval rules are trash"?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rosalie_A posted:

I'm starting Zeitgeist because dammit my friends and I are gonna do at least one 1-30 in our life. Any advice on running it past "ACAB accept the premise" and "the naval rules are trash"?
Later down the road, even though the opponents are extremely well-designed, you will still need to adapt to the crazy bullshit your players can pull. So, expect that.

But yeah the naval combat is garbo.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Rosalie_A posted:

Excellent choice, Zeitgeist is the best 4e pre-written campaign I ever came across. You could probably rewrite "the players are cops" into "the players are special forces/spies" quite easily if those are easier sells.

The naval rules are indeed trash. Whenever the Zeitgeist writers decide to write themselves a minigame "fight aboard ship", "defend the lighthouse", "build a railroad", "fight the crime boss's organisation" it's generally worse than what the system does already. What usually happened in these cases was I attempted the minigame, got bored of it about halfway through and turned it into some skill checks and fights. What I'd suggest you do when you run it is come up with a few interesting things that can happen during the activity the minigame is trying to represent, and let the players fight, skill roll or ritual their way through them to determine how well things go.

I'd also recommend that you get some good maps for shipboard combat - boarding actions came up quite a bit in my game. Ideally you'd have a "hero ship" for the players, a variety of enemy ships, and a sea map. I got a lot of mileage out of the various Loke Battlemats during the campaign.

Gort fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 28, 2022

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I think using this brilliant design posted yesterday for naval combat is a must.

https://old.reddit.com/r/battlemaps/comments/vlc0eg/ship_vessel_night_46x28_ship_pirate_naval/

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Read ahead in the campaign a fair bit, if your players are as dense as mine, people like the cigarettes smoking man, really mention to your players several times that the game is xfiles insoired and the themes/motives underpinning the characters need to be weaved in earlier than you might otherwise do so.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
X-Files and Twin Peaks.

Oh and some Star Wars too. I never did notice the uh... uncanny theme of the names of the Jierre family when reading it.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

dwarf74 posted:

Oh and some Star Wars too. I never did notice the uh... uncanny theme of the names of the Jierre family when reading it.

What?

Oh!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Sage Genesis posted:

What?

Oh!
Oh good. I wasn't the only one.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Are there any good dark Sun modules available in 4e? Thinking of starting a dark sun campaign and I’m shopping around for ideas and content.

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic
I was watching Matt Colville videos last night and he mentioned https://www.adventurelookup.com , which came up with 3 4e Dark Sun modules.

I don't know how often the site is updated but that may be a good starting point.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Thinking of adding this item to my 4e game, though I wanted to run it by some more experienced players to make sure I'm not screwing myself in the long run.

One of my players is deeply interested in crafting as a means of item progression (they are playing a Dwarven Runepriest) and I wanted to give them something that would help with that in our long-running campaign. The idea is they will find different types of these hammers that will allow them to craft items of new types, similar to how embers in Dark Souls work. The Enchant Items/Transform Items ritual is something they don't yet know about, and will eventually get access to much further down the line, and items like this are meant to bridge the gap between now and then.

They are currently level 5. I apologize for verboseness on things like item cost, but it's a situation where I know what my players will ask if I'm not particularly clear, and I wanted to get around that.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Verisimilidude posted:

Thinking of adding this item to my 4e game, though I wanted to run it by some more experienced players to make sure I'm not screwing myself in the long run.

One of my players is deeply interested in crafting as a means of item progression (they are playing a Dwarven Runepriest) and I wanted to give them something that would help with that in our long-running campaign. The idea is they will find different types of these hammers that will allow them to craft items of new types, similar to how embers in Dark Souls work. The Enchant Items/Transform Items ritual is something they don't yet know about, and will eventually get access to much further down the line, and items like this are meant to bridge the gap between now and then.

They are currently level 5. I apologize for verboseness on things like item cost, but it's a situation where I know what my players will ask if I'm not particularly clear, and I wanted to get around that.

Is there an in-universe reason to hide the existence of the ritual from the players?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Klungar posted:

Is there an in-universe reason to hide the existence of the ritual from the players?

Yes

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For the upgrade option you could just say it takes 5 hours. I don't think any enhancement bonuses are ever anything other than 5 levels apart. Matter of fact, I'd just say "you can increase an item's level by 5" to head off any potential misinterpretations. So like:

- An item can be upgraded, increasing its level by 5. Its enhancement bonus and any other properties are modified accordingly.
- The process requires ritual components of a value equal to the difference between the original and upgraded items' values and takes 5 hours.

For the fire stuff: Flaming weapon is an enchantment whose item levels are at a multiple of 5. If you upgrade an item of level 1-4, it costs residuum and time accordingly, that's fine; if you want to turn a level 5 (10, 15...) item into a flaming weapon, as written you can do it for free. Bug or feature?

Resistance Armor is a level 2 (7, 12...) item. Are you allowed to take a level 5 armor and downgrade it to level 2, maybe gaining residuum in the process? Or can you only *up*grade and turn the level 5 +1 armor into a level 7 resistance armor +2? (Which is fine, but does probably bear restating.) And, same question as above but for same-level items.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I'm looking at making custom creatures using the MM3 math. How do attacks with rider effects (like conditions) influence the damage calculation? Obviously, not all conditions are equal (e.g. being knocked prone isn't as bad as being stunned or dominated) so I don't expect it to be as straightforward as the "business card", but are there any resources that discuss this aspect of creature customization?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

In It For The Tank posted:

I'm looking at making custom creatures using the MM3 math. How do attacks with rider effects (like conditions) influence the damage calculation? Obviously, not all conditions are equal (e.g. being knocked prone isn't as bad as being stunned or dominated) so I don't expect it to be as straightforward as the "business card", but are there any resources that discuss this aspect of creature customization?
There's no hard and fast rules. I'd add it on where appropriate and leave damage alone if you are running for anything but very low level players. And use Stun/Dominate extremely sparingly except in high paragon or epic tier when your players should be expected to have counters for it.

Ongoing damage is the exception. It counts usually as 1.5x its value, iirc.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Unless your characters are little gremlins who keep your entire encounters stunned, proned, and dominated. Then you throw the math out and you try to make the most broken encounters possible, with multiple boss phases, and making a game of trying to get one person with every single condition at once.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Over time I've kind've grown to hate "controller" type monsters and player characters and love "brute" types. The game's just more fun when everyone gets to actually use their powers rather than just being locked down all the time.

Somehow a massive damage guy who can defeat tons of enemies feels better to me than someone who can ensure tons of enemies cannot take any actions. Maybe it's because I still have to manage the locked down enemies and I don't have to manage defeated ones.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

For the upgrade option you could just say it takes 5 hours. I don't think any enhancement bonuses are ever anything other than 5 levels apart. Matter of fact, I'd just say "you can increase an item's level by 5" to head off any potential misinterpretations. So like:

- An item can be upgraded, increasing its level by 5. Its enhancement bonus and any other properties are modified accordingly.
- The process requires ritual components of a value equal to the difference between the original and upgraded items' values and takes 5 hours.

For the fire stuff: Flaming weapon is an enchantment whose item levels are at a multiple of 5. If you upgrade an item of level 1-4, it costs residuum and time accordingly, that's fine; if you want to turn a level 5 (10, 15...) item into a flaming weapon, as written you can do it for free. Bug or feature?

Resistance Armor is a level 2 (7, 12...) item. Are you allowed to take a level 5 armor and downgrade it to level 2, maybe gaining residuum in the process? Or can you only *up*grade and turn the level 5 +1 armor into a level 7 resistance armor +2? (Which is fine, but does probably bear restating.) And, same question as above but for same-level items.

Hmm, I appreciate your post and it has given me some things to think through and questions to ask. Thanks!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think it's okay to enable the hammer to upgrade any weapon or armor into a higher level Flaming Weapon or Resistance (Fire) Armor, at the cost of the difference as specified. But not downgrade, and not turn a fire item back into something else. In terms of the party's wealth, you're keeping things balanced with the cost requirement. With the armor, crafty players might realize they don't have to pay the full cost of upgrading, say, a level 5 +1 armor to a level 10 +2 armor if they can just make a level 7 +2 armor at a fraction of the cost, but the fact that it'll specifically have to be Resistance (Fire) Armor probably makes up for it. If someone's in it purely for the AC bonus it becomes a little more worth it to them, but it only works once per item - next time you have to upgrade from level 7 to 12.

And turning a level 5 weapon into a Flaming weapon for free is probably okay too, same goes for any level 2/7/12... armor. You had a level X item, you still have a level X item, but you had a little bit more agenda over what it is.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think it's okay to enable the hammer to upgrade any weapon or armor into a higher level Flaming Weapon or Resistance (Fire) Armor, at the cost of the difference as specified. But not downgrade, and not turn a fire item back into something else. In terms of the party's wealth, you're keeping things balanced with the cost requirement. With the armor, crafty players might realize they don't have to pay the full cost of upgrading, say, a level 5 +1 armor to a level 10 +2 armor if they can just make a level 7 +2 armor at a fraction of the cost, but the fact that it'll specifically have to be Resistance (Fire) Armor probably makes up for it. If someone's in it purely for the AC bonus it becomes a little more worth it to them, but it only works once per item - next time you have to upgrade from level 7 to 12.

And turning a level 5 weapon into a Flaming weapon for free is probably okay too, same goes for any level 2/7/12... armor. You had a level X item, you still have a level X item, but you had a little bit more agenda over what it is.

I think after a lot of thinking I decided to keep it simple and just give them enchant item. I think my original reasoning behind not letting them do it was primarily marred in old hangups from 5e and other systems, but seeing how 4e operates and speaking more to my players, I feel like it's a ritual I'm comfortable just letting them have and ret-conning the world reasons why they wouldn't have it to begin with.

Also, my crafty player keeps sending me items he really wants, and this would get him out of my hair in terms of placing all these items in the world for him and instead giving him the satisfaction of crafting things himself.

The hammer of thunderbolts he linked to me, however, will definitely be some kind of epic quest he'll go on at a much later level.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

It’s an interesting concept, you could do something like a Mega Man boss system where they unlock a hammer that’s related to the dungeon boss and it could be used to give them an elemental advantage in future dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Klungar posted:

It’s an interesting concept, you could do something like a Mega Man boss system where they unlock a hammer that’s related to the dungeon boss and it could be used to give them an elemental advantage in future dungeons.

I was thinking that! But then I figured if a boss is using a particular element, then the dungeon might be themed around that element, and thus protection from that element might not be worth as much after the fact.

As fun as it could be if I made this interconnected web of encounters that rewarded things that could be used to improve the party's chances in the next encounter, I figure enchant item is something that gives them a lot of control immediately. So now they can say "we're gonna go to the plane of fire, why don't we take these side missions to fund the runepriest so he can make us some fire resistant armor?"

Speaking of which, is there a compendium of premade encounters somewhere?

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 25, 2022