Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

SeraphSlaughter posted:

One of my players for a campaign I'm just starting expressed interest in bringing some lycanthropy traits into his character. I want to encourage it since he's building up a lot of backstory for it, but I don't want him to have more abilities right out of the gate than other players. Does anyone have any resources/homebrew stuff/advice for handling something like this? I was thinking of either reskinning a Shifter as a lycanthrope since it's almost the same thing, and letting his racial ability cover it, but it doesn't seem like quite enough to cover the effects of lycanthropy. I'll probably be categorizing this as a racial feature for him anyway, so if we come up with something homebrew, it'd be replacing whatever other racial abilities he would've had.

There are werewolf and wererat backgrounds in Neverwinter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

fatherdog posted:

What's that from? It doesn't show up in compendium.

I believe it is functionally the same as the Pack Outcast Theme, which would also be a good choice for a Werewolf-esque character.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Klungar posted:

I believe it is functionally the same as the Pack Outcast Theme, which would also be a good choice for a Werewolf-esque character.

Well poo poo, you're right. I've read through the Neverwinter book, so I should've remembered it from that.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

A friend of mine is going for a weird gimmick build in order to do a fun story thing. In short he's trying to make a level 5 character that:

- is a pacifist - no direct damage
- does not have to touch anything

He's made an eladrin cleric that mostly satisfies these goals, although some of his powers do deal small amounts of damage. Ideally he's looking for something that just heals / buffs the party. Has anyone been able to put together a build that does this? Maybe a cleric / warlord hybrid?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Look at classes that have effects on every power. Warpriest and Sentinel come to mind, although they're melee-focused, just dump your primary stat and never hit anything again.

Edit: or a lazylord

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Friend of mine is playing a paladin and doing basically that. He let his STR and CHA sit at 12 and pumped CON and WIS to 18, so he barely ever hits but he can Lay On Hands all day and gives out +4 defense buffs as an effect. I've yet to see if this will really work out in the long term, and come to think of it, why didn't he pick a warlord?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Your guess is as good as anyone's, and I'd be very wary of a character like that because, again, they're adding an extra mob to the field and contributing basically nothing to defeating it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

thespaceinvader posted:

Your guess is as good as anyone's, and I'd be very wary of a character like that because, again, they're adding an extra mob to the field and contributing basically nothing to defeating it.
I'd disagree, if the buffs are good enough. 'Preventative' healing, so to speak. Of course, you'd need to buff someone's defenses by 4 to on average 'heal' even 20% of the damage they'd otherwise take, and a giant buff like that is usually a one-turn encounter power.

Also, putting out damage is much more effective preventative healing. :shrug:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Preventive healing by buffing defences only works when the monsters don't have autodamage effects, miss damage, auras, and other badness they don't need to hit with to hurt you with. And, let's be honest, a +4 still only has any effect 2/5 of the time, and it's easy for the mobs to compensate by murdering the guy who you HAVEN'T just buffed insanely.

You need to buff everyone's defences for defence buffs to be significantly relevant, it's why Mantle of Unity is so good.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Isn't Pacifist Cleric a thing? I mean it's not a great thing, but I'm sure I've heard of it as a build before. I think the real problem you'd run into is looking for powers that neither a.)deal damage or b.)heal. Priest only needs so much healing. At a certain point you're just pouring HP down a hole and hoping it hits something useful at the bottom.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, I've seen a "focus on absurd amounts of healing and nothing else" build "work", but all it did was make me add to the damage output of my encounters, without really making things any more interesting.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mendrian posted:

Isn't Pacifist Cleric a thing? I mean it's not a great thing, but I'm sure I've heard of it as a build before. I think the real problem you'd run into is looking for powers that neither a.)deal damage or b.)heal. Priest only needs so much healing. At a certain point you're just pouring HP down a hole and hoping it hits something useful at the bottom.

It's definitely a thing, but to do it, you HAVE to take the attacking powers that give big buffs (Deadly Lure, for instance) or the non-attack ones that do the same (Sever the Source, Valourous Charge) and not be afraid to buff rather than heal in general.

Healbot Cleric even post-errata can put out enough healing to make up for not doing much damage, but the net result is that the encounters run LONG and turn sloggy when everyone's done their interesting stuff anf you're chipping away at them and they're knocking you down and you're getting back up again etc etc etc.

There is, on average, an expected damage output per PC. If you're singificantly below that, you'd better have a drat good reason to be.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lazylord works as well as it does because even though you're not doing much damage, someone is. The downside to the wonderfully robust math that makes 4e tick (well, aside from having to learn how to make it work FOR you instead of against you) is that you can't deviate too far from what's expected or else encounter balancing gets really wonky.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

The Leper Colon V posted:

Lazylord works as well as it does

It just gets old real fast if you actually play it lazily instead of chessmastering your team around.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Party Boat posted:

A friend of mine is going for a weird gimmick build in order to do a fun story thing. In short he's trying to make a level 5 character that:

- is a pacifist - no direct damage
- does not have to touch anything

He's made an eladrin cleric that mostly satisfies these goals, although some of his powers do deal small amounts of damage. Ideally he's looking for something that just heals / buffs the party. Has anyone been able to put together a build that does this? Maybe a cleric / warlord hybrid?

A friend of mine did a cleric that was exactly that: all she did was heal/buff or (this may be important) debuff the enemy. Halo of Consequence, Dismissal, Pacify, Iron To Glass, all those things were part of the build and none of them did a point of damage or required touching. She could throw out such ridiculous healing numbers that our DM made several encounters where the enemies all hit like tanks made out of smaller tanks just to try and counter her absurd healing. Sadly, the player had to recently leave, which I think in a small way was a relief for the DM because now he can balance encounters a bit more.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

It's a complete gimmick build that I think he's only going to run for a few sessions. The story stuff is that no-one but the party can see, hear or interact with the character (and yes the DM's signed off on this). The idea of having nothing but buffs / healing is to have a character that isn't suspicious on paper, but over time could make the party think he's a shared delusion. The player's left the "truth" of the character up to the DM.

I'll pass the stuff about hitting hard on to the DM though - we're an 8-player group so he's already going for glass cannon enemies as much as possible.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
My players may have inadvertently gained the rulership of a large, abandoned floating city, populated only by a few Warforged, by taking a set-peice dungeony location and just deciding to claim ownership and set up shop. I'm gonna try and use some Realm building stuff from Reign and see if the game going off at a complete right angle will end in fun hilarity or disaster.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Party Boat posted:

It's a complete gimmick build that I think he's only going to run for a few sessions. The story stuff is that no-one but the party can see, hear or interact with the character (and yes the DM's signed off on this). The idea of having nothing but buffs / healing is to have a character that isn't suspicious on paper, but over time could make the party think he's a shared delusion.

I was thinking that maybe 4E should have a couple legit "no one is actually there" classes to accommodate situations when a character can't physically participate because he is not there/dead/an rear end in a top hat. Like, you pick the class "Guardian Spirit", and you can buff your team mates (leader), or the class "Villain's Comeuppance" and debuff your enemies (controller).

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I'm a bit stumped regarding Move Actions & Double Move Actions in D&D4e.

The Rules Compendium says:

Published in Player's Handbook, page(s) 284, Rules Compendium, page(s) 205. posted:

Double Move

A creature can move twice on its turn if it takes another move action instead of a standard action. Taking the same move action twice in a row is called taking a double move.

Same Move Action Twice: To take a double move, a creature must take the same move action twice in a row on the same turn—two walks, two runs, two shifts, or two crawls.

In the specific scenario I'm unsure about, one of my players has an ability that knocks creatures prone. What I've been doing is making them Stand up [Move Action] and then downgrade the [Standard Action] to [Move] and shifting. Am I allowed to do that considering the rules about "Double Move" since Stand Up is a [Move] action?

EDIT:
Oh wow, sometimes you just have to post something to make sense of it. So if I decide to do a Double Move it's a Double move - the creature can shift a square on difficult terrain if it dedicates two move actions to it. It has nothing at all to do with Stand up + Shift! Hah. Sorry about the meaningless post. :)

Lamquin fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 23, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lamquin posted:

So if I decide to do a Double Move it's a Double move - the creature can shift a square on difficult terrain if it dedicates two move actions to it.
You know, I never realized that.

You can still always take a move action in place of a standard action and therefore stand up ([Move]) and move or shift (another [Move]) in one turn. That's just not a Double Move then.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

We always explained it as the hierarchy of actions is:

Standard
Move
Minor

and you can always trade down.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Lamquin posted:

So if I decide to do a Double Move it's a Double move - the creature can shift a square on difficult terrain if it dedicates two move actions to it.
By RAW, this doesn't work that way.

Assuming a standard shift of only one square and no special difficult-terrain-ignoring abilities such as Earthwalk/the Elf's Wild Step/etc., the creature in question uses its Move Action to shift one square; it can shift into any square so long as that square isn't difficult terrain. It then downgrades its Standard Action to a second Move Action and can use that to shift one square (into non-difficult terrain) again. At no point does the creature—nor is it even able to—"double up" on Move Actions and combine the movement speeds of associated forms of movement into a single value. A double move is just two, discrete Move Actions, not a single "double action". In this case a double move with both Move Actions spent on shifting is as follows: shifting one square, followed by shifting one square, not shift two squares once.

In a decent number of situations, this distinction won't cause a creature to still be adjacent to a single enemy combatant at the end of its turn—although it may be an inefficient use of actions and the enemy is likely still able to just move/shift up to a square adjacent to the fleeing creature on the pursuing creature's next turn. This is not the case in situations where the creature in question is completely surrounded by some combination of difficult terrain, blocking terrain, and enemy creatures.

A 'double move" isn't any special game mechanic; it's simply game terminology/shorthand to say, "I'm going to take two Move Actions." As in, "I use a double move to move 10 squares," or, "I'm going to double move to shift away and then move my speed in order to get away from the goblin without taking an Attack of Opportunity."

You had it right in your example/question regarding standing up, and—of course—there's nothing stopping you from making a houserule that says double moves work the way you want them to, it just affords the same benefit to the PCs and very slightly cheapens the effect of the aforementioned abilities such as Wild Step and [Terrain]walk.

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 23, 2014

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I'm not sure I agree. The Rules Compendium gives an example where a double moving character can end the first move in an ally's space because the two moves are effectively a single action. Based on that I'd allow a double shift to move into difficult terrain.

e: yeah that

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 23, 2014

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

quote:

Combined Speed: During a double move, first add the speeds of the two move actions together. The creature moves using the combined speed.
Because of this greater speed, the creature can sometimes move into a square that it would otherwise be unable to enter.
Example: A creature whose speed is 5 can enter only 2 squares of difficult terrain (see below) when it takes a single move action to walk. If it takes a double move by walking twice in a row, it can move a total of 10 squares, so it can enter 5 squares of difficult terrain instead of only 4.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Well, that's what I get for not playing 4e in a while and not consulting my Rules Compendium before responding.

That exact situation regarding moving through difficult terrain with a speed 5 character has come up plenty of times in play and it should have come to mind regarding the double shifting question.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

You had it right in your example/question regarding standing up, and—of course—there's nothing stopping you from making a houserule that says double moves work the way you want them to, it just affords the same benefit to the PCs and very slightly cheapens the effect of the aforementioned abilities such as Wild Step and [Terrain]walk.

I don't agree that allowing double moves to shift into difficult terrain is something that cheapens abilities that otherwise let you shift into difficult terrain. Giving up your standard action for something other than an attack is rather expensive.

While we're on the subject, double moves let you avoid rounding on unusual movement modes (e.g. crawling in heavy armor). Unlikely to come up in actual play, but it's important if it does comes up. The real question is whether you can Move+Charge through 5 squares of difficult terrain with speed 5, which I think is technically illegal by RAW unless there's something in the Charge rules I'm forgetting.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
My opinion is that it does cheapen their effect, but not by terribly much in the grand scheme of things, since—as you mentioned—you're still spending more actions doing the same thing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You basically give up your entire turn - or an action point - to shift that one square. Seems reasonable in regards to other abilities.

isndl posted:

The real question is whether you can Move+Charge through 5 squares of difficult terrain with speed 5, which I think is technically illegal by RAW unless there's something in the Charge rules I'm forgetting.
Charge is a Standard action that lets you move your speed, so no, since a Double Move has to be two of the same Move action.

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.
I just DM'd my first session of 4e (hell my first session of anything as a DM) and it was really fun! I only ran one encounter (and some skill stuff just before the encounter), but it still took up a decent amount of time, and some of my players even roleplayed pretty well (one player decided that her character's arms had been dislocated since they fell off the mini she was using, haha. luckily it was from one of the other player's massive collection of minis, so it wasn't a big deal). The advice this thread gave me helped run it smoother than I expected too. I'm kinda hooked.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Hey, I've been wondering if we've been misinterpreting the opportunity attack rules. We've been playing with breaking contact causing an opportunity attack. So in the picture A doesn't provoke on but B does. Should A also provoke an attack?

Also, as the DM, if I want for example the other half of a warlock's pact to send the warlock a message, is there an easy way to do that without the other players noticing that I can't think of?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Moving out of a threatened square provokes an opportunity attack, even when moving into another threatened square. So A would provoke an opportunity attack.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
As long as they were only shifting 1 square, neither would provoke an attack. If they were explicitly moving, then if they moved to A and then kept moving they'd provoke 2 attacks for leaving 2 threatened squares (Though I'm not sure if there are any creatures that can take more than one opportunity action a round)

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Red Metal posted:

Moving out of a threatened square provokes an opportunity attack, even when moving into another threatened square. So A would provoke an opportunity attack.

Thanks!

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Kurieg posted:

As long as they were only shifting 1 square, neither would provoke an attack. If they were explicitly moving, then if they moved to A and then kept moving they'd provoke 2 attacks for leaving 2 threatened squares (Though I'm not sure if there are any creatures that can take more than one opportunity action a round)

Thanks to you too, but I thought you could make an opportunity attack in every turn that isn't your own, not once per round?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

The Belgian posted:

Thanks to you too, but I thought you could make an opportunity attack in every turn that isn't your own, not once per round?

Mhm, OAs are once per turn, Immediate Actions (interrupts/reactions, like the Fighter's Combat Challenge) are once per round. Likely he meant turn and was saying it's rare to find something that would be able to make 2 OAs on something moving through 2 threatened squares in the same move.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 24, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Belgian posted:

That's correct. Player moves to A, player provokes an opportunity attack, bad guy makes his one opportunity attack for this turn. Player moves on, player technically provokes again but bad guy can't make another one so it's all academic.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Is it okay to ask for help creating monsters? Usually I just reskin an already made enemy, but I thought I'd try to put something together myself. My group recently released a mad bomber. I'm thinking of making her a controller solo with lower health but higher damage than usual. Can anyone give tips for things like smoke bombs and movement powers? I can use the regular number stuff for damage and up it a bit, but utility stuff isn't well explained for monster making.

There's 6 level 6 characters. A battlemind, druid, wizard, seeker, ardent, and berserker. Although none of them are exactly optimized.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
6 level 6 characters vs. a "mad bomber"? What is known about her in the game so far? What's her capabilities, her race, etc?

In general, I'd aim for an Elite instead of a Solo here, and give her a bit of condition mitigation and a few allies. That'll be easier to weigh against 6 PCs.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
She's human or human looking at the very least. She was being locked in a terrorists' "guild" to be used as a last resort because she doesn't discriminate on what she destroys. She appears to be able to pull bombs out of nowhere of different types. In the quick scuffle before she escaped, she dropped a smoke grenade and threw another to push one of the PCs back.

Edit: I can probably think up a reason for her having allies if it comes to that, so don't worry about something like that.

djw175 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
Don't just use monsters, set up lots of blaster traps.