Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Drake_263 posted:

So hang on, let me get this straight. To build MM3 style monsters that aren't long buring unfun slogs, I'll want to make sure:

1: Their basic stats roughly comform to the list on the top, increasing by 1 per each level of the monster;

2: For monsters cribbed from MM1/2, I'll
-increase the average damage done by a monster swing by ~25-50%
-increase damage done by brute-type monsters by another 25%
-reduce the damage done my monsters with Aoe effects by ~25%
-halve the damage inflicted by minions
-double the hit points on elites, quadruple them on solos

3: For monsters I'm creating from scratch, use the HP and AC bonus by role table?

For the record, I've mainly DMed 3.5 before so it feels kind of weird to not build huge 3.whatever-type statblocks. Liberating, but weird.

Those numbers are the new numbers, not what you apply to MM1/2 creatures. You'll want to entirely ignore MM1/2 monsters stats and swap for the appropriate numbers on the cards. MM1/2 solos have way too much HP already, quadrupling them would be absolutely mind-numbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Yeah, it's a pretty big drag to build a full Lazylord, especially when there are so many great classes to hybrid with (artificer, wizard, psion)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
On the other hand leaders and especially controllers hybridize pretty great, because they don't really lose required class features.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Gort posted:

The extended rest/adventuring day mechanic is one I dislike. If it's clear that this will be the last encounter before a rest, I shouldn't have to deal with my players novaing all their dailies into it.

Similarly, you can nova healing surges with the right powers and items, which means in the early encounters you're not threatened and later on you can just tell the DM, "Nope, outta surges - extended rest time."

It's not a huge deal, but it makes work for the DM to continually come up with reasons why the party has to have three more fights before they sleep, or to risk upgunning encounters because players will nova them.

I'd prefer the default largest unit of time to be the encounter rather than the adventuring day. So, instead of healing surges per day, you get surges per encounter. The problem I'm having trouble with is what to do with dailies - they're necessary to make combats not turn into "Use encounter powers, then at-wills" but having them recharge every encounter just makes it "Use dailies, then encounters, then at-wills". Perhaps have them cost a surge to use?

Make dailies per-session or per-adventure section.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

crime fighting hog posted:

I have a player (burly rogue) who wants a pair of Adamantium daggers, (he's a big comic nerd) so he asked me what they would do if they were made out of that. I can't remember but I think in 3.x they ignored an amount of hardness when attacking objects?

I was thinking of just finding a magic weapon on character builder and reskinning it. Any flavor ideas though?

Adamantine weapons exist, 8+ items in Adventurer's Vault. Any untyped damage they deal ignores resistance equal to twice it's enhancement bonuss.