Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
Since it comes up so often and isn't likely to change any time soon - Recommended pre-made adventures

Level 1 - The Slaying Stone (Standalone)
Level 2-4 - The Reavers of Harkenwold (DM's Kit)
Level 4-5 - The Cairn of the Winter King (Monster Vault)
Level 6-8 - The Madness at Gardmore Abbey (Box Set)
Paragon Tier - Revenge of the Giants (Standalone)

All of these except for Revenge of the Giants have MM3 stat blocks and monster math.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

dwarf74 posted:

Worry about your side of the screen,

Or ditch the screen altogether! Other than using it for quick reference tables, there's not much need for it in 4ed unless you're fudging your rolls for some silly reason.

Yoshimo posted:

Many thanks for this! It is strange however that there's a bit of a gap between 8 and 12 in what appears to be a nice progression through the levels/tiers.

That's because Revenge of the Giants is older, and fits in with the older adventure chains (Keep on the Shadowfell, Trollhaunt Warrens, etc.), all of which range from mediocre to bad. The newer adventures are great, but they came along relatively late in the system's lifespan after most people had soured on premades.

Gardmore was definitely the last hurrah for 4th ed adventures, and it's fantastic.

Elmo Oxygen fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 29, 2014

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

The Belgian posted:

I shouldn't tell people the stats of an enemy, right? I should just give their name and a description, and then some more info when they pass a monster knowledge check?

That's how it's usually done, right. But it doesn't usually break anything in 4ed if you're totally transparent either.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Yeah being coy about those kinds of things is a bad DM habit from the old D&D tradition of "FOR THE DUNGEON MASTER'S EYES ONLY!" and really just slows things down in 4ed for no real benefit.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

4ed is one of those games where a seamless transition between fight-mode and explore/roleplay-mode isn't all that important. Most 4ed players get pumped up when they know it's time to roll initiative and get down to business.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Prison Warden posted:

I literally have said "okay so the screen shatters, everything goes all swirly and you guys are in a fight now."

I had to call a moratorium on the final fantasy victory fanfare when a dude kept doing it after every. single. encounter.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Has anyone used any of the Encounters in-store material at their table? I'm thinking of starting up a new campaign and I'm interested in the Dark Legacy of Evard. Any trip reports to share?

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Thanks Auralsaurus Flex!

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

The Leper Colon V posted:

Lazylord works as well as it does

It just gets old real fast if you actually play it lazily instead of chessmastering your team around.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't just use monsters, set up lots of blaster traps.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

I tried to kludge together DW and 4ed. After a session and a half we went back to straight DW.

It's not impossible, but you just end up trying two make two well designed systems do what they weren't meant to do.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

I was under the impression they stopped adding new content to the CB and compendium several months ago

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

If the party has no defenders or leaders in a six-man group they are probably headed for disaster.

Drake_263 posted:

all roles in the party were already filled

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

killstealing posted:

I had to google Lazylord and it sounds ideal for what I want to do.

It's powerful but you have to keep it interesting when you're basically giving someone else all of your standard actions. I got tired of it real quick.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Hybrids are usually traps for everything except the lazylord, which makes almost every hybrid combination better with minimal effort.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

I played a Teleporting ice-nightcrawler a while back, but he was an eladrin hexblade. By early paragon he had at-will teleporting and invisibility and great damage from frostcheese + white lotus hijinks.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

I think the only "broken" thing about bugbear/large weapons is when you start rolling more dice with each [W], the Brutal tag gets a whole lot better.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

I had a similar situation a few years back. We played it out Seven Samurai style, with each PC going off to do his own thing to prepare for the siege, then regrouping for the big battle.

Basically, a big session long skill challenge with lots of improv and RP and little (if any) combat. Or multiple skill challenges.

Then when you run the big battle, show them the ways their choices and preparation made a difference, for better or worse.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Is there a GW thread or is this it?

edit VVV cool thanks!

Elmo Oxygen fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 26, 2014

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

My players have been gearing up for a new campaign and have come up with some pretty sweet character concepts:

-Hamadryad Illusionist - her "spells" are psilocybin mushroom spores
-Revenant Warlock - a curse-happy mummy
-Wilden Vampire - sun-allergic venus fly trap/piranha plant

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Limit it to once per encounter and make Elites & Solos immune and it's pretty balanced IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Days = Sessions for my group, and we pace things around that expectation.