Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Another rules question, since I haven't run 4e consistently for a while:
Maw of the Guardian has a property of

Form of Mountain's Thunder Attack has an effect:

Since the Maw doesn't specify damage rolls, does the bonus damage apply to the effect (since the power has the Weapon keyword)?

Yes, the bonus damage applies to the lightning in this case.

It doesn't apply to the thunder hit that you get from the form, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Hello mighty warriors. I'm working on a 4th Edition conversion for X-Crawl (modern pro-wrestling meets dungeon crawling, basically; considering how important teamwork is in X-Crawl, it's pretty much perfect for 4e) for an upcoming PBP, but I am mediocre about rules stuff. So I would appreciate some feedback about the changes I've been considering. Mainly A) is it reasonable and B) is it cool? I'm still a little unsure about how to handle Signature Moves, as well.

4E already has enough combat gribblies. Have you considered going a little bit more... orthogonal?

So, like, everybody gets Hype and they're trying to turn it into Audience.

Fitting team costumes? You all get Hype.
Narrate a team intro? You all get Hype.
Interrupt a short rest with a cutaway scene they filmed in the pre-show? You personally get Hype, once per broadcast/session.
As the DM you should make up, like, four-five generic dungeoneer behaviors that a babyface or a heel might do, which are basically just burning a standard action on aid another kind of things, and if you play to type you get Hype, once per session.
Write down some ways the party can set you up, like talking about treasure near the rogue, or giving the cleric something obscure to sermonize about. Just RP stuff. If you set your teammate up you get Hype, once per teammate per session.
Setting up your signature move, regardless of whether you pull it off, is also worth Hype once per session. Your signature move:
- consists of at least two actions
- including at least one encounter or daily power
- and some amount of small-h hype, including talking as a free action
- counts 3-pop for each standard action, 2-pop for each move, and 1-pop for each minor you put into it (dailies count double)
- each full 3-pop gets you Hype, up to 3.

You can have multiple signature moves, but later ones must use all unique actions and are worth 1 less Hype, cumulatively. So a total of 6 Hype from signature moves during a session.

You get Audience by burning off Hype during skill challenges. You've got some skill challenges planned, right? Not just, like, navigating Crazy Al-Fierno's House Of Flame Jets, but little one-off things like when it becomes obvious the party's going to win in a fight, start up a skill challenge to finish the enemy off before they hit the alarm or convince them to surrender or run away or whatever. But you can only burn off Hype during dungeon skill challenges, promotional events, or times when you are otherwise kaying fabe.

To burn Hype, wait for somebody else's skill challenge roll to fail, then roll a d6 into it as a bonus. You can only do it if the roll was actually failing - X-Crawl isn't fake! If the d6 hits the d20, the new face counts. You can burn one Hype per teammate's roll, and as long as the roll ultimately succeeds, each Hype turns into 1 Audience for whoever rolled it.

...and then Audience is worth bonus prizes or other consideration at the end of a dungeon, even if you burned some Hype during a promo you were cutting two weeks prior.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 10, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

These are all really neat ideas. I kinda like Audience even more than Fame in particular. Have you run this before?

Nah, but most of it's how you get XP in Dungeon World and/or Inspectres (the Ghostbusters reality show RPG) and I've run those plenty.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

My Lovely Horse posted:

Usually that's PCs only, and it's a function of magic weapons/implements. There are some monsters that get maximized damage + crit die on a crit, but they're fairly rare and tend to be higher level. A Balor does 6d10+11 damage and 3d10+71 on a crit but he's also level 27.

e: it's also generally one die per plus of enhancement bonus (so 3d_ for a +3 item), not [W]. Christ, Barbarians would be even more terrifying.

Barbarians are more terrifying; they're probably using "high crit" weapons, which are the "max damage and roll again" property.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

The Crotch posted:

I assume Lurdiak was referring to this feat:

Even thieves' tools!

Aren't there utility powers that use Thievery? Unless they're all crap too.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Yukari posted:

The issue is that the abilities don't make sense for her, the DM. Like how does a huge thug do a 60ft cone of acid? Crazy alchemical grenade, and he's like Jekyll?

He takes a draught of dragonbreath from a double-reinforced flask with about five skulls on it and BLAAAAAAAAARGH. And while it's on cooldown he's desperately trying to work up the courage for another belt.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Boba Pearl posted:

Ok, so I have a cool idea for a boss, but I wonder if the power I want to give him is over the top? If you're playing in my game don't read this obvs.

The idea is an elite monster who gets 2 turns, and they're at level or maybe slightly above level for the party. The power is that they always roll publically, but also they get to decide what they're going to do after they roll. I want it to be like a timey wimey thing. I like the idea but it might be too strong for 4e? I don't know how much of the math is super reliant on RNG.

I understand the idea, but maybe the best implementation of it is to give their powers a buff effect on a miss. "the lesser eidolon realizes its attack was going to miss and protects itself/charges up instead".

Unless your players specifically have triggers on missed attacks, that should get you most of the way there.

Maybe give it an autohit zwee-smack on recharge 6, teleport adjacent and land a hit when "the fates align".

Glazius fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 26, 2021

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

My Lovely Horse posted:

Can anyone think of two magic items that have good synergy (or even a bonus) when two different characters wear them? Two of my players haven't come up with anything for their wishlist, so as long as I'm picking things for them I want to make it a bit special. They're both chainmail wearing, sword wielding Raven Queen followers, paladin and cleric, so the idea kinda suggests itself.

Adventurer's Vault 2 played around with set bonuses and group item sets. You could probably just as easily turn a set bonus into a group set bonus without going mad from power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Jack B Nimble posted:

Does anyone have any links to interesting potions or scrolls I could start putting in my 4e game? The examples in the PHB are weak, I want something more interesting. I don't care if it's "too good", I'll just make fights harder. I want some interesting consumables to spice up my treasure parcels.

Edit - my initial thought is to give the players a "scroll of X" and have it be a one time use of trading out one of their normal encounter powers for one from another class? That way they're not gaining an extra power, but they could pull out something specific at a useful time?

If you can find a copy of the 4E basic Adventurer's Vault somewhere, it had a whole raft of consumable things.