Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

That was metaphorical. :)

I use a laptop because Masterplan, but if I weren't, I'd go screenless, too.

Adventure advice - check out EN Publishing's Zeitgeist adventure path. It's great, by far some of the best adventures for 4e. The first installment is free, too.

Zeitgeist does look incredibly fun, but I'm not quite ready to switch over to the more modern feel the adventure seems to have.

Does anyone have any experience with the Level 1-30 "War of the burning sky" adventure for 4e by the same publisher? It looks massive in scope (I suspect it still has some "old" monster stats that'll have to be reconfigured), so I'm wondering if anyone has tried it out? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I'm a bit stumped regarding Move Actions & Double Move Actions in D&D4e.

The Rules Compendium says:

Published in Player's Handbook, page(s) 284, Rules Compendium, page(s) 205. posted:

Double Move

A creature can move twice on its turn if it takes another move action instead of a standard action. Taking the same move action twice in a row is called taking a double move.

Same Move Action Twice: To take a double move, a creature must take the same move action twice in a row on the same turn—two walks, two runs, two shifts, or two crawls.

In the specific scenario I'm unsure about, one of my players has an ability that knocks creatures prone. What I've been doing is making them Stand up [Move Action] and then downgrade the [Standard Action] to [Move] and shifting. Am I allowed to do that considering the rules about "Double Move" since Stand Up is a [Move] action?

EDIT:
Oh wow, sometimes you just have to post something to make sense of it. So if I decide to do a Double Move it's a Double move - the creature can shift a square on difficult terrain if it dedicates two move actions to it. It has nothing at all to do with Stand up + Shift! Hah. Sorry about the meaningless post. :)

Lamquin fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 23, 2014

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
So today I happened upon a rather strange situation regarding Flanking and the veterans at the D&D table.

The recreation above is what my friends called a "flank train". According to them - Since the calm Goliath is flanked (a status effect?), he is not counting as helping flank Monster 1 for the screaming Goliath.

"Huh?" was my response verbatim, and I couldn't find anything about it in the rules compendium nor in the older Players handbook. Neither could they, leading to a very confused situation of "But we always played it like that... why are we playing it like that?".

This brings up two questions:
1. Can we assume that Monster 1 is flanked even if Calm Goliath is flanked?

2. Is there such a rule in the older D&D editions? We're trying to figure out the origin of this, and we're coming up blank. It might just be some house-rule that became a "real" one, but who knows! :shobon: