Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Error 404 posted:

An axe kick, in many martial arts, is a type of kick wherein you raise your leg straight up to eye level, and then bring your foot, heel first, down onto your target.

When it hits, it's pretty devastating.

I like the other idea better though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'd probably call it the "final countdown" but that's just me

If you can kill them before the song finishes, you survive.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dr Cheeto posted:

Actually kind of digging the idea of creating an IRL time limit for the players. I was thinking of a ticking-time-bomb kind of encounter where the party would encounter a group of terrorists and then have to deal with the bomb they set up. Adding a timer to that situation that isn't measured in rounds would really ratchet up the tension, I think!

I don't like it because some people simply do not play or decide quite as quickly, but in-game they're moving at the same rates. (I also do my gaming online currently, and disconnects are occasionally a thing, plus I'm not nearly as good at placing templates in Maptools as half the party and thus do so slower.)

It can work, I just personally don't like it. If I was to give them a RL time crunch, what I would do is give each person only so long to make their decision as to what to do or they spend a turn not doing much useful, rather than giving the group a maximum amount of RL time But even then I probably wouldn't; it punishes not having every rule memorized too much if you don't have time to check it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dr Cheeto posted:

I would certainly not implement it in a game without players physically at the table, and I was thinking about just doing it for the "skill challenge" bit where the terrorists have been neutralized one way or the other and the party is sitting in front of the bomb. Skill challenges seem freeform enough to me for this to work. Maybe the timer goes up or down depending on how many rounds they spent beating on the terrorists.

Yeah, if you're doing it just for the skill challenge it would make more sense. I misunderstood and thought it included the combat beforehand.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Moriatti posted:

But the SNES sprites look so good!

Is that done on roll20?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I'm going to be running 4E for the first time. I've never even played it - mostly 3.5 and Pathfinder, some 2nd - but it seems my speed.

Is there anything in particular I should keep in mind for balancing and such? I see the discussion about the differing monster math but I don't know if that's the only change.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

dont even fink about it posted:

Every character should just get Improved Defenses and an Expertise feat for free, as these fix baked in math problems

The easy way to handle some cruft around basic attacks is to make every at-will count as a basic.

Inherent Bonuses solves the game's item treadmilling and speeds up the game

I'd already planned to run with inherent bonuses, and the basic attack changes are easy enough, but what's that about Improved Defenses and Expertise? What book are those in and why is it best to give them for free?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Excellent, thanks.

I do not have the Rules Compendium so I'll have to grab a copy of that.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I'm not sure if making at-wills into basic attacks is the way to go, but the bare minimum is give people who are reasonably going to be in the front lines Melee Training. I'd go pre-errata, where the person gets the full stat to damage, because why not?

Also, if a person shows up with a hybrid character, an Essentials character (stuff from the books that start with "Heroes Of _______"), or a hybrid Essentials character, you fuckin' side eye that poo poo hard because there's a good chance some bullshit's gonna happen.

Or they'll show up with basically nonfunctional characters.

Nobody else in this group has played 4E either so it'll be the second.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Drive Thru RPG currently has a D&D sale including PDF versions of the Rules Compendium and Monster Vaults.

Haha, that's exactly where I immediately went to find it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I need to do battle maps for roll20.

Does anyone have experience with doing this? Any useful programs to help me draw battle map images relatively quickly and easily?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PMush Perfect posted:

Depending on how fancy you want to be, you can go anywhere from "just use the line tool and let your players fill in the blanks" to "buy professional mapmaking software". What I and our normal DM like to do is use spritesheets from old video games. She favors Fire Emblem, I'm partial to Shining Force. Still, same basic idea.

I was actually thinking about doing something like that. Do you use a program to assemble it or good ol' copy/paste?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Moriatti posted:

For Battlemaps I'm fond of RPG maker with the mapshot script, since it makes linking up the slots to the roll20 grid very easy.

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh. Yeah that's another excellent idea. I did something similar for a short lived pbp. I'd recommend either XP or VX Ace depending on how cheap you are. VX Ace looks better but you can get XP for chump change. MV(?) is new and expensive and also has fewer free default assets than old editions so they can sell it all as DLC, so I don't recommend that.

That's a real good idea, yeah. I actually own VX Ace due to an ill-fated sale some time ago but have barely used the thing. How do you use the mapshot script? I found http://himeworks.com/2013/02/map-screenshot/ but I don't know where to put it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
In the game I'm running, we have one controller but she's a druid. (Also an archery warlord, a ranger, and a paladin.) Are these are hard to build as wizards? She's been one of the MVPs so far but this is still real early on.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Our druid is mostly splitting her time between adding debuffs and doing animal things. I'm just as happy to have someone who is willing to fight more in melee since it's mostly just the paladin, since both of the other two characters prefer bows! She hasn't made it boring, at least not yet.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
So what do you guys do instead of skill challenges? Real question, since I'm running a game and I kinda want a replacement for them as written.

Individual skill checks occasionally like Pathfinder or 3E? Some other house rule? Do you count XP for them like a skill challenge?

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ysengrin posted:

Reskin the dragon breath to a flamethrower, the flight to a jetpack, the wing buffet to a repulsor field, and you're set for your gonzospace bounty hunter fight in your ultima 1-style game, which for some reason you've also decided to run in 4e.

You laugh, but the game I'm running has an extinct culture that was high tech rather than magic, so I have turned a couple 'big monsters' into robots and prepared some tech items like a holography system (hat of disguise) for players to pick up from their ruins.