Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
FWIW, I generally like the idea that Strike! goes with, by splitting Blaster off from Controller.
The designs I'm working on are kinda unique, in that you can't really give penalties to the enemy, so all forms of support are bonuses to you or your allies and/or just extra attacks or damage against/onto enemies. So effectively, Controller is kinda blurring together with Leader; Blaster kind of exists, though.

Kurieg posted:

The problem becomes when you completely remove the GM from the combat game with a Psion.

Yeah this is a potentially bad time.
Hard control makes solo fights too easy, and from a thematic perspective, fighting the titular Dragons in a titular Dungeon should be A Big Deal.

Further along in the line, 4e gave solos a bunch of "Nope" abilities to get around the meanest status effects, but IMHO, if you're gonna design something from the ground up, maybe taking things like Stun off the table is a better angle to attack the design from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

djw175 posted:

You can throw Bard/Warlord onto that pile too.

Really?? Nice. Bard|Warlord was basically like, the 2nd 4e character I ever played (IIRC) and one of only 2 hybrids I ever did.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

The Crotch posted:

What unique flavour does ranger/rogue bring to the table that you can't get out of "rogue who trained nature"?

I've played Ranger|Rogue and it's pretty much for if you just wanna be a dude who shoots people really good all the time. Like, you need some feats to get easier access to CA from range, but having Quarry around (for those times when you just can't get Sneak Attack) is handy.

The other side of it (for me) was being able to cherry-pick powers with debilities at every level, but this has everything to do with only building the character out of the PHBs; I'm sure you could probably get similar results going straight Rogue and piling on poo poo from Dragon Magazine and/or the Martial Power books.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Yukari posted:

Well, that's cool. I had an idea in the back of my head for how to make the tiefling paladin/warlock, and ended up on having them mostly centered around fire and the avernian knight PP. Since I have to get an at-will from paladin, I was thinking of decking out Virtuous strike with the Arcana domain feat to make it arcane, and then admixturing it with fire in paragon, so I can always proc a Firewind Blade, and to abuse the crap out of white lotus feats, to make following a mark more painful. Avernian knight makes violating a mark do 5+con+cha damage, so violating a mark is pretty painful already. Unfortunately, that's about as far as the idea got as far as concept goes. Is it a workable idea or do you not get enough/any fire powers from paladin to make it worthwhile?

This is the 4thiest post I've ever seen, goddamn.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

LightWarden posted:

Murdering class skills, giving everyone at least 4 trained skills and letting people pick one or two skills to switch the ability score for does help bridge the lovely skill situation some of the physical classes are in.

I wrote up some rules like that, once.

P.d0t posted:

Primal Classes: You can use your INT modifier in place of your CHA modifier for any CHA checks.
Martial Classes: You can use your STR modifier in place of your CON modifier for CON checks.
Divine Classes: You can use your CHA modifier in place of your WIS modifier for Heal, Insight and Perception checks.

Class Skills
You can train any skills you want; your class skill list provides the following benefits:
You can use a +3 in place of the default ability modifier for any untrained class skills.
You can use your WIS or INT modifier in place of the default modifier for any Knowledge skills on your class skill list.

Additional Skill Changes
If your class grants you an automatic trained skill, you can instead train an additional skill of your choice; if your class would grant you less than 4 trained skills, including this change, increase it to 4 trained skills.
You can use your CON modifier in place of the default modifier for Athletics and Heal checks.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I've played with a Shaman in the party, and being able to sprinkling the healing around was handy in any sort of non-conventionally structured party. They also can do a bit of MBA granting, though I can't really say how theirs compares to a Warlord; I was playing a Scout at the time, so I appreciated it nonetheless.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Mechanically, what would you goons say was/is the best way that 4e utilized the design space of Power Sources?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
What are the most common/popular loadouts for Warlocks and their various subclasses, in terms of Ability scores and Trained skills?

Are there any particular racial/background skill bonuses that synergize with particular builds or specific powers?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

The Hexblade and Binder warlocks are in general Not Good to Terrible.

not-joke question: What are these classes intended to do, and what do they actually end up doing?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

A discussion in the Next thread brought it up, and I wanted to ask if anyone ever used the Class Templates in the DMG in their monster design.
[...]
In a larger sense, it makes me think of monster design where you pick and choose one particular "racial trait" such as a Kobold's shifting, an Orc's Warrior's Surge, an Ogre's Reach 2, a Gnoll's Pack Attack, an Ettin's Double Actions, and then the rest are "just" powers from the PHB appropriate to the monster's class/role.

Yeah I never used templates; I pretty much did what you describe. I'd find a monster or monsters that kinda looks like what I want it to, figure out what their "thing" is and then just homebrew stuff together using the MM3 stats.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm not quite sure what you're complaining about here? It's not like 4e monster maths are difficult, you can fit all the calculations on a business card. That IS the universal spell list.

Stuff like attack and damage are costed pretty straightforwardly, using "MM3 on a card" it's just stuff like areas and status effects that you kinda have to look at a monster of appropriate level, and reskin ...and hope you didn't pick the level 5 Carrion Crawler that stuns people.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Gort posted:

It does seem reasonable to discuss games inspired by 4e in the 4e thread, honestly.

This seems like a perfect opportunity to bring the "Retrocloning 4e thread" out of the cobwebs.

While I'm at it, here's a blog where I write about the clone I am working on.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Klungar posted:

Since your concern is combat speed, just tell them everything. It super speeds things up if you know if you hit something or can determine that you have a much better chance to hit of you use a different type of attack, and that you don't need to blow your big attack on a minion or someone with only a few HP left.

a good rule is to always let players know which enemies are minions (and/or 2-hit minions, if you're homebrewing those)

Letting them know enemy defenses is just a matter of taste; it's more common in PbP, just so people can kinda adjudicate their own turns and someone else can go, rather than waiting on the DM to confirm hits/misses.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
For my homebrew 4e-ish D&D clone, I'm debating a small change to how knowledge skills are doled out. Specifically, power sources granting you a few trained knowledge skills.

Context: ability scores are dead; each class gets 2 power sources (with a fair bit of customizability)

How does this list look?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I kinda feel like 2nd winding in combat is a mistake because it blows your standard. I mean if you absolutely have to, you have to, but getting a heal a minor is so much better.

If your options for spending your standard action at a given time are "kill the last thing, thus ending the encounter" or "not die" then yes, but otherwise no.

Your statement is also redundant, because you would literally never use 2nd wind out of combat; it's a specifically in-combat ability, because a 5-min Short Rest does better healing out of combat, unless you've for some reason char-opped the poo poo out of your 2nd wind in ways that have no combat application whatsoever (I cannot fathom this scenario.)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
(with an eye towards hacking/cloning) Has anyone here tried having minions auto-hit when they attack PCs? I assume (particularly at higher levels) you would want to scale down the damage, I'm just curious to know if anyone has tried something like this, and has any feedback on how it went and what they would suggest to fine-tune it.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
What's the benchmark for combat encounters per day/Extended Rest in 4e?

I used to know, but apparently I've gone senile.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Ongoing damage basically ended up being worth 1 hit of damage (adjusted per tier) because 'save ends' is basically a coin-flip so you should only expect those effects to last 2 rounds at most, barring save bonuses/penalties (which is a :can: they never should have opened, IMHO)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
It's almost like you could base a 4e retroclone around the assumption that you hit on a 10+, and then just shitcan all the numbers you add to your attack roll.

(plug)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Speaking of, has anyone played the Witch or Sha'ir classes? What are they like?

Is there any meaningful distinction between them and your standard Wizard, or were they literally just an excuse to shovel out more Wizard powers?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Like, we had a rebreather at my table at epic.

I find it hilarious how every monster at-will minor-action attack in the history of Essentials has the "1/rd" limitation slapped on it, but this never made it onto dragonbreath, even in errata. :allears:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Shamans are cool.

Do this.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I know the general consensus is that "Heroes of Shadow" is poo poo and "Heroes of the Feywild" is a good book, but what's the feeling on "Heroes of the Elemental Chaos" (generally, but in particular the options for specific classes)?

e: VVV "CON-secondary" is like a running theme in Essentials, afaict

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 12, 2017

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Do any of the options add anything meaningfully new, in terms of distinct mechanics or playstyle?
Or is it just mostly power-flavours (which in a game so friendly to reskinning seems borderline pointless)?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
What are the best/most fun monsters to fight in 4e? What are the most interesting gimmicks, in terms of the monster design?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

In my experience most fights are effectively settled in two rounds, so I wouldn't worry about having a mark for every occasion unless you are an obsessive character design maximalist like me.

:siren: YMMV (a lot)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

You could probably just find the Average AC for each level and then add or subtract 2. Level 1 would be something like 14 / 16 / 18 depending on class. Shields would probably still add on top of that, and you could make what would be armor proficiency feats just a straight up +1/+2 to AC as well.

Someone just rebuild 4e from the ground up, without the dumbass way they did the numbers progression.

I nominate gradenko.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Doesn't count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

fog boar posted:

tldr: I've been editing 4e for a while based on popular ideas like DTAS and gradenko's bonus chart and other stuff that's been talked about here for years

This all sounds cool and good and pretty much exactly what I would want from a 4e successor, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter!
PM me here, or if you're on Discord i'm pd0t#1282