Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

I am not going to update the op just because some people have wrong opinions. :colbert:

As for a two-player 4e game, while companion characters could work, it's a hell of a lot to track if you're new at the system. If they're veterans, sure, but I didn't get that impression.

While I don't think 4e is putting its best foot forward with that few players, I think a 2 player game could definitely work so long as there's at least one striker in the party.

A few years ago, I played an enjoyable 2-player-with-companion game where each PC just snagged an equal level (non-minion, non-elite, non-solo) monster from the old monster builder, adjusted it to the right level, and ran it alongside. It was pretty fun having a floating brain in a jar looking for a body to call its own accompany my warforged knight in his quest for understanding the "mortal" condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Does anyone have a link to a good essay about "what killed 4e" that isn't just gravedancing or stupid random poo poo? I wasn't able to find one using Google, and I feel this might be a topic worth writing about. One thing that I'm concerned about is that the 3.5 people are quite literally erasing reality and saying that the system failed because it was rejected en masse, when it seems to me that it died mostly from bad bloat, bad adventures, a few fundamental math problems that were easily fixed, and of course the most important thing - Mearls deciding to kill it dead because it wasn't "real D&D".

I wrote a post in the 5e thread that's tangentially about this. Near as I can tell, it's Mearls being Mearls.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647634&pagenumber=105&perpage=40#post433781387