Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Lore-wise, how exactly do warlocks work? Why would a demon or devil or Lovecraftian ancient Thing condescend to make a pact with a trifling mortal? And what exactly is a warlock's end game supposed to be?

I get the whole Faustian angle but Faust falls apart when removed from its Judeo-Christian basis in a magic-less Real World and then blown up to the macro scale of a fantasy class. In a world of ubiquitous magic, and one in which demons are real and their motivations well-known, why would anyone but a batshit insane Chaotic Evil idiot pledge their soul to a demon for fleeting magical power in life? And in a world where a multitude of demons command armies and fight each other as often as they fight the forces of Good, why would a demon lord care about the soul or servitude of a comparatively weak mortal?

If someone wants to serve a patron and tap their power, then why not be a cleric of a bona fide god?

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I still don't understand why a demon would enter into a pact with a warlock. It's not like they're Lucifer trying to corrupt one of God's Children as part of some existential war between Good and Evil.

I always liked the idea of a warlock as a seeker of eldritch knowledge who maybe stared into the abyss a little too long. The whole pact thing just seems off to me.