Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is always the trick with any system with levelling (both in TRPGs and the computer kind)- and even outside of specifically RPG games, there's questions of how the environment should scale with the player's growth in power.

Like the way 4e does it does have the drawback where the kind of monster you want may not be statted at the level you want, though you can fix that by changing the numbers (and either beefing up or drawing down special abilities). But it does have the advantage of D&D being traditionally a game with a poo poo ton of different monsters and like eight kinds of goblinoids and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

https://2e.aonprd.com/Archetypes.aspx?ID=66 there's a pretty good one in pathfinder 2e

Temporary hit points, though. :sigh:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

games like go and chess and poker are perfectly balanced and yet not boring

balance does not imply a lack of complexity; rather, complexity makes balancing increasingly difficult. But attempting to balance complex rules does not inherently mean simplifying them, and nor does simple rules inherently imply simple play or simplistic strategy or lack of depth.

e. for me, good game design boils down to having interesting choices to make; I think that balance enhances rather than detracts from the interesting-ness of choices.

Chess isn’t perfectly balanced at all. The player who goes first has a significant advantage.