Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Drake_263 posted:

It occurs to me that I intend on using Orcs as opponents for a first-level party, but all the books I have at hand (MM1-3, Monster Vault) have orcs statted as lv3-6-is foes. Looks like I'm going to have to get creative and make up some weaker orcs.. and gently caress the MM1 'bloodied -> healing surge' ability, that's just more hit points, the free attack when killed sounds more interesting. I'll just explain it away that the lv1-2 orcs are hotheaded, young and eager warriors, while their bigger buddies just have had more time to learn on account of not pouncing random PCs :p

It's 4th edition, so downlevelling anything is pretty simple, just go by the 3E monster math on a business card in the OP to see the math, it's really easy. Since they are still generally Heroic tier enemies without any crazy abilities they will be balanced just fine on that end as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I don't suggest randomly generating treasure parcels, put stuff in them you'll know your characters can use, unless you just like giving them vendor trash/straight up useless stuff I guess (I had a guy try to do an all random loot in the loot tables in 4E once, we ended up having basically no good weapons, a bunch of random armor with nothing useful on them besides their generic + value, and like 20 pairs of boots and gloves that no one needed ever, and we couldn't really sell the stuff either).

I like throwing a lot more consumables / weird wondrous type items (like your ever burning lanterns, infinite chalks, endless bottle of waters, etc. of the worlds) then normal, because it's something fun to play with that's not necessarily just either gear I will use or gear I will sell/never use.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Gort posted:

Yeah it is. I don't need a game to fit all my preferences to enjoy running it.

I guess what I mean is that the "tense moments" where characters are low on HP end up so frequent that the current HP of a character doesn't have much to do with whether they're actually in trouble or not - it's their remaining surges and access to ways to spend them that determine that. As a result there isn't much tension in being on 3 HP since even if you go down you can be returned to 25% or more of your total HP in a single action from the party leader.

Being on full HP but with no surges/available healing is actually a far more dangerous scenario.

It's supposed to be, that's how 4e was designed to work. I see no real problem with this?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Arivia posted:

At least for part of it, 4e had Dungeon pumping out content every month, which Pathfinder does not. It has parts of it in various ways (the back matter in Adventure Paths, monthly Player Companions, etc) but nothing like the magazines.

I do it by trusting my players(Also, while I do not have every class, feat, and power memorized, I have a pretty solid general idea of what most classes and most kind of builds can do at most level, which helps, but this just comes from experience), but I know for a fact that they are people who would rather slit their own throats then cheat. I do realize that not everyone plays with people like that.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 20, 2014

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Obviouse answer is to just use 2nd edition style initiative where everyone just rolls a D10 at the start of every round.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 17, 2015

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Obligatum VII posted:

All this talk of AI is making me remember how we never actually got a 4E tactics game and it's making me sad and mad. I'm half tempted to just... try making one myself. I can program and I have a good idea of how I'd approach it, but I'm laaazy.

I keep wanting to do this as well, problem is I spend all day at work programming and don't feel like programming up a game when I get home from work, and so here we are.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

For adventures like this I like giving the players a limited number of extended rests (there's a million ways you can do this, just being given a number of items and there's no other way to extended rest for whatever the hell story reason, a time limit before X happens they can do before accomplishing whatever the ultimate goal is and resting is the only thing that takes significant time, etc.). I think it works alright.

Using this method the players pretty much always try to save the last extended rest as close to being before the big final encounter as they can, but I feel like that generally works ok anyway.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Why would you even do Essentials only, in the current campaign I'm running with basically all new players I said anyone can be anything they wanted but I suggested that no one should play Essentials classes because they just in general aren't that fun to play or as well designed as the ones previous to them(with some exceptions as noted in previous posts).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

My current campaign has 6, and I have ran with 7 before. It does get rough once you get past 5, I think 7 is kind of the absolute maximum, once your over that you should really try to play two separate games if at all possible.

Edit for Above:

Forgotten Realms: Generic Fantasy

Greyhawk: Generic Fantasy

Dragonlance: Generic fantasy, but with Draconians (Dragonborn before Dragonborn, but with goofy on death powers where they turn into stone or whatever), and goofy names for gods that exist in other campaign settings, and the spellcasters wear robes that depend on their alignment I guess

Eberron: Pulpy/Steampunky Fantasy, Sort of Final Fantasy meets Forgotten Realms I guess

Ravenloft: There seem to exist two seperate Ravenlofts to me, one is Castlevania/Hammer horror film the campaign setting, that one is alright.

The other Ravenloft is trying to run HARDCORE HARROR games using DND rules where you roll on fear tables kind of like call of cthulhu and monsters are immune to everything unless you have a blue weapon made of gold or whatever, and you can't play a wizard because everyone hates wizards but you play one anyway that one is less fun.

Planescape: All that stuff you read in the Manual of the Planes and such, except broadened out into an entire campaign setting. In a sense, every campaign setting is a Planescape campaign if you allow it to be, but Planescape specific campaigns generally involve Sigil(which is infamously a plane that goes to all the other planes a whole lot) and such, where as a regular Campaign that just uses the planes may be just going to one of the layers of the abyss to get some mcguffin but is otherwise set in the Forgotten Realms.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 15, 2016