Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

pookel posted:

I've been reading up in various venues on the possibility of switching to a different system, and this thread is literally the first place I've seen people trash talk 5th. Everything I've heard about it from other places has been positive. So, yk, taking this with a grain of salt.

There is a strong relationship between the change-resistant attitude of the teens in your store and love of 5e. Imagine the teens' reaction if the company had rolled back most of the changes they didn't like. Allow it to simmer for two minutes. Compare to the love of 5e you've seen. Serve at room temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

P.d0t posted:

As a purely mechanical question, what do the various alternatives to skill challenges actually do? How are they similar and how are they different from the RAW?

Better approaches to skill challenges give players 1) an opportunity to use their skills, 2) a way to be relevant if they don't have training in that skill, and 3) choices. Compare Strike!'s Team Conflict rules, for example.

Skill challenges RAW do #1 and occasionally do #3.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BattleCake posted:

So I saw upthread that people mentioned using 4e skill challenges RAW are a common mistake for DMs. I am an inexperienced DM and was wondering if anybody could suggest alternatives or house rules for skill challenges?

edit: Also, I was planning to start a new camapaign and adapt the Hoard of the Dragon Queen published adventure from 5e over to 4e because it's what I have on hand and just from looking at it, I like the idea of the overall plot and some of the encounter it's got going on there. However, just from things I've seen around various places online and from reading the adventure module itself, it's clear I'll have to tweak a bunch of stuff to make it less terrible, but does anybody know of any really obviously terrible stuff in the first couple of episodes, or have any general advice? I might just end up using the modules suggested in the OP but both my players and I like the idea of a campaign that's part of a larger plot rather than a series of independent adventures.

Hoard of the Dragon Queen would be fine as long as you build balanced encounters. Just be emotionally prepared for them to take it off the rails and have one 4e encounter statted out in reserve at all times that you can reskin to fit whatever fight they've picked.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

A pixie Zangief sounds pretty entertaining.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Klungar posted:

If I know 4e well, how easy is it to pick up Gamma World 4e?

A lot will look familiar, except it is (as noted) more lethal, since character generation is so easy. There is some streamlining of 4e overall, in terms of weapon types and feats.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ryuujin posted:

So yeah this reminds me, someone needs to run Gamma World again. I think it has been years. There just isn't enough Gamma World on the forums.

Be the mutation you want to see in the world.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

kaynorr posted:

I'm going to take back my earlier skepticism - it occurred to me that you actually could use 4E as the basis for a sandbox game, but you have to think about it in the same way that the XCOM games are a sandbox. It's a procedural means of generating the conditions for a series of tactical encounters. There are unusually strong (for a tabletop RPG) underpinnings in terms of what constitutes an average enemy/encounter/reward/progression, which means you could meaningfully push on those parameters based on the choices you make at the strategic level. Even if the strategic level consists of picking a barfight.

The entire game could take place in Bartown, WI, and if you go into the wrong bar before you're ready, look out.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

wallawallawingwang posted:

The 13th age bestiary has gelatinous tetrahedrons, hexahedrons, octahedrons, and dodecahedrons. Each round they make one of 4, 6, 8, or 12 random attacks. Dice Battle is a good thing is what I'm saying.

I hope the gelatinous tetrahedrons are virtually unable to roll, and are a threat only to those who fall on them from above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Arivia posted:

There's no problem with printing another wizard archetype.

I think you are wrong about this. Even though it releases "stand-alone" products, D&D as a brand has always been indiscriminately syncretic. They should have been creating these things knowing that the majority of the player base will draw everything from every product they have access to. The emphasis on wizard sub-classes was an increasingly unsubtle backsliding to D&D's true self.

Like, you can sell "stand-alone" ice cream that somehow doesn't require toppings and swear up and down that it's meant to be eaten as-is, but you should probably still have an eye on what happens to your product when people dump chocolate sauce on it.