Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nihilarian posted:

An interesting idea for a time based monster would be to roll for the amount of actions they get each round. For example, if they roll a 1 they get no actions but if they roll a 5 they get 2 standard and a move action. Could be kinda swingy, though, and you'd have to make a list.
1. Monster loses its standard action.
2. Monster loses its move action.
3-4. No change.
5. Monster gets an extra move action.
6. Monster gets an extra standard action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Vorpal Cat posted:

less arrow dynamic
Phonepost detected.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

djw175 posted:

So, mathematically is there any difference between say 2d6 with a brutal 1 weapon and 2d5+2? To my mind, they're the same, but dice math is hard for me. I want to figure out a way to handle that on things like roll20.
1d5+1 is mathematically identical to 1d6r1, yes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If you're feeling lazy, just reskin a dragon from the Monster Vault. You don't want to know how many of my solo fights were reskinned or slightly modified dragons.

On one occasion, I reskinned a dragon as another dragon. Twice. For the same fight. (It was a 'three phase fight' thing, which is the best way to do solos.)

Edit: Bold for emphasis. The pre-Vault solos are hot garbage.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

The paladin in my party throws out THP for the entire party on a regular basis. For most characters the amount is in the neighborhood of a single healing surge value. Not having to heal that back after the battle adds up quickly.
I like give-everyone-THP characters because it means you can throw about a level's worth more damage potential at the party without too much worry.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ImpactVector posted:

warlord if you count the barbarian as their weapon
The mental image of a warlord with a barbarian strapped to his arm like a shield made me chuckle.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Note to self: Write a surge-stealing class that turns them into a temporary resource.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Bloodknight, an attempt at an alternate Vampire.

This is the first draft for a really dumb idea I had while sitting in a car sometime during the weekend. Just the first level so far (plus a couple level 2 powers I thought of), because I want to see what people think of the concept before I sink more time and energy into ten levels worth of powers.

I'd like to hear what people think, both in terms of balance, and in how well it reaches the stated goal. Ideas for good feats would be nice, too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, wow, I knew it was going to be bad, but I didn't realize it'd be that bad. Back to the drawing board.

Edit Gonna try giving it a major overhaul. I was playing pretty close to the chest in terms of not wanting to make things overpowered, but I apparently went way too far the other direction, so let me toy with things.

Edit2 Completely overhauled the class features. Gonna take another crack at the powers... tomorrow. For now, I will sleep.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 7, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Has anyone here ever made a more "MMO boss gimmick" style encounter?
Yeah, the commonly accepted wisdom with solos is to halve their HP and give them two or three fazes with different mechanics, and even that it's kinda raid-like, not even factoring in things like minions or terrain.

thespaceinvader posted:

Yep http://at-will.omnivangelist.net/2010/04/1511/

I've never understood why 'like WoW' is supposed to be bad. WoW is the most popular RPG of all time, ever. What game WOULDN'T want to learn from that?
Change is bad, didn't you know?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I really, really shouldn't do this...

But I've been considering getting back into 4e DMing, and I could be convinced to run a Skype/Virtual Daivve (or Skype/Roll20) game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, it'd be nice to not have to be Forever DM.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lord Justice posted:

I might be interested in something like that, I haven't played DnD in like 2 years at this point, poo poo sucks. Has Roll20's backend improved at all? I last used it two years ago for Gau's PvP tournament thing and it was terrible, tokens barely had any information you could put on them (no defense entries, really?), and making Macros was awful.
I'm pretty good at making Roll20 do what I want it to do, I'd just have to remember some of the little bits.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Anyone who wants in (I've already got one who contacted me), hit me up on Skype, we'll figure out scheduling. My Skype is poisonmushroomerin.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Immune to Dominate is an epic destiny feature, not a theme feature holy poo poo.
The Superior Will effect would still be very strong, but at least more in line with some of the other very strong themes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Are there any classes I can suggest that are used to using ranged weapons at melee range?

I have a player that keeps trying to turn his character into a character that uses crossbows. His first attempt was with a fighter, his second was with a rogue. I don't know what I should tell him.
Does he want to just use them in melee? In that case, just let him reskin a decent melee weapon. If he really wants to be able to do both... hm.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Treasure parcels are a very formalized system for making roughly sure that players don't fall behind on the Red Queen's Race that is 4e equipment.

If you're using IBs, you can kind of disregard it entirely.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Does anyone have a link to a good essay about "what killed 4e" that isn't just gravedancing or stupid random poo poo? I wasn't able to find one using Google, and I feel this might be a topic worth writing about. One thing that I'm concerned about is that the 3.5 people are quite literally erasing reality and saying that the system failed because it was rejected en masse, when it seems to me that it died mostly from bad bloat, bad adventures, a few fundamental math problems that were easily fixed, and of course the most important thing - Mearls deciding to kill it dead because it wasn't "real D&D".
It died the same reason every system dies. People will only buy so many sourcebooks for a system.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Countblanc posted:

The line of books died, sure, but like no one I know IRL plays 4e anymore while 3.5 is alive and well. The game of 4e is pretty dead in a way that many other no longer supported RPGs aren't.
The better question then is "why don't the people I associate with IRL play 4e?" To which I respond "Grognards hate change."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Last week, I went to a D&D game, invited by one of my coworkers. 3.5e, Forgotten Realms.

I went in with a kind of goofy concept (Zhi Bhest, a bard with a whip and Improved Trip who uses Perform (Oratory) by telling bad jokes). It was decided, mostly without any of my input, that my character was a eunuch and an escaped former harem-boy. The DM then repeatedly called me/my character "ISIS" and "towelhead". I spent most of the combat being ineffectual because the DM shut me down for being a rules lawyer every time I tried to bring up the only thing that made my character worthwhile (the Attack of Opportunity rules). This was on top of the campaign being built mostly around the PCs being agents for the DM's old character, a self-insert with twin katanas, twin pistols, illegitimate children in every possible region of FR, and like 40 levels in every class.

I don't think I'll be going back.

(To make it relevant to this thread, I mentioned 4e in passing, and basically the entire table responded with kneejerk hostility.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

A lot of it simply comes down to "How dare you tell me what to do!" I've seen a lot of 3e fans spew incredible amounts of hate at 4e because it expected people to actually play and act like a team, and not a group of lone wolves coincidentally in the same place at the same time. Lots heaped no small amount of scorn on the "leader" role because literally "YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME, DON'T CALL YOURSELF MY LEADER!"

The joys of making a social game for an asocial group of people.
I really hope another angry grognard redtexts you for this post.

Not because it's a bad post, it's a good and accurate one, but just because it'd be loving hilarious.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Section Z posted:

I'm sorry, I'm too busy taking a BG that gives me a free military weapon proficiency on my Rouge for Rapier prof without a feat to take "Use another stat for your base HP" Born under a bad sign.

Whoo! Rapiers were errated to be military instead of Superior!... Oh wait Rogues still don't come with Rapier proficiency gently caress. I think rapiers are cool and wanted one regardless of optimal weapons :argh:

Speaking of oddities with Rouge weaponry, sneak attack. A lot of Rogue powers can use any crossbow but Sneak attack only mentions hand crossbows. Sneak attack mentions shortbows but you don't start with proficiency and a good chunk of rogue powers specify "Light blade, sling, or crossbow".

Do most people just houserule this clusterfuck entirely and just hand people rapiers and full shortbow functionality? Or just point people to the "Unlock shortbow prof and shortbow usage on rogue powers (if you worship sehanine)" Moonbow Stalker feat if they want to use a shortbow that bad outside of ranged basic attacks (after unlocking proficiency).
If I remember correctly, the "hand crossbows only" thing is an errata to fix a "broken" build that wasn't actually that broken?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I know it's not quite 4e, but would anyone be interested in a PBP or Skype game of one of the D&D Adventures boardgame? Wrath of Ashardalon, specifically. I have all the assets together, and have had them for a long time, but I've never gotten to use them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cybertier posted:

Why 4th actually IS the goon-favorite D&D? It would be much appreciated.
It's the most mechanically balanced and sound edition. In fact, a lot of the complaints about the game are the loss of things that were sacrificed on the altar of making the combat as good as it could possibly be. It's been called (both in its favor and against it) a tactical miniatures game with roleplaying elements. No matter what class you pick, no matter what role you want to build, you can be guaranteed that your character will be competent. And from the DM side, building encounters is significantly easier, since your players have tricks, but they're all on a roughly even keel as well. No more having to come up with contrived reasons to fight in an antimagic zone filled with traps, just so the fighter and rogue can do something.

This is done primarily by tossing out the "fighter, rogue, cleric, wizard" foursome, and instead building off of a four-roles base. Defenders, who take the hits, Strikers, who give the hits, Controllers, who hinder the enemy, and Leaders, who help their allies. Essentially, the MMO roles of Tank, DPS (ranged or melee), hexer/disabler/etc, and healer/buffs-giver. In the old paradigm, a fighter is a Defender, a rogue is a melee Striker, a cleric is a Leader, and a wizard is a Controller.

If you're not interested in that part of D&D, however, then... honestly, what you're looking for probably isn't D&D any more. It's a much different game from the old 1e and 2e. I'd recommend either one of the retroclones (for the genuine experience) or Dungeon World (if you just want to have cool adventures in a fantasy setting).

Now, if you are interested, if you want a base of solid combat that you can build off of and roleplay around with relative impunity, there are still a few drawbacks.

1. Learn to love reskinning. If there's a concept you want to play, but don't like the fluff, or you want to use a monster in your fight but can't think of a reason for a squad of duergar to show up in the middle of a forest, reskin. Change the fluff.
2. You can't really just bounce the numbers around. The math is tuned a specific way, and if you start deviating from it too far in either direction, combat kind of just falls apart. This includes loot, which is why the Inherent Bonuses rules are so useful.
3. Kind of a fusion of the first two: Players are expected to build a competent character in one or more of the combat Roles. Your class' primary stat should always be at least an 18. 20, if possible. If you want to play, for example, a Fighter with low STR, you're going to have a miserable time and just drag yourself and your friends down. Instead, find (for example), a melee Striker whose powers are based of DEX instead, and reskin.
4. If you're missing one or more of the roles, encounter design gets a bit trickier. For example, a party with no Defender is going to have trouble keeping their squishies from taking the heat, and one with no Controller is going to have a hard time dealing with mobs or enemies with a lot of maneuvering and momentum.
5. The out of combat rules are a little... malnourished, and the skill list has been pared down dramatically as well. You might have to get creative with a few things now and again.
6. As you get up into the higher levels (especially Epic Tier, levels 21-30), players and DMs start to get a little weighed down with options and the balance of the combat kind of comes apart.

4e isn't perfect, I'll admit. It's a little front-loaded, and makes assumptions that a new player might not immediately catch on to (like the aforementioned 'make your primary stat your best, no exceptions'), and the out-of-combat rules feel rather secondary at times. But it's still the most solid and sound combat with the most legitimate building options in a roleplaying game that I've played or seen.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 31, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cybertier posted:

Thanks for your excellent reply.

About disadvantage number 4.
Is the game playable by two players with one supporting GM PC?
Are there any good options for a GM PC that can fill a support role without too many options, so I can have the character help the players without getting bogged down in a combat, by thinking what this support character should do?
Hm. That'd be tricky, but doable, I think. My first idea is a pair of hybrid classes (maybe a Defender/Striker, and a Striker/Controller), with the DMPC taking the Leader role. A good Leader in this case would probably be a 'Lazylord'. Lazylords are a type of Warlord, whose main gimmick (aside from healing) is to give other characters more melee basic attacks. It's a good character for someone who wants to contribute to combat without having to think too hard, which also makes it useful for a DMPC.

It'll still be tricky, though, and I'd recommend playing softball with encounter design at first until you really get a handle on what the players are capable of handling.

quote:

Reskinning and optimized building shouldn't be a problem. My players are used to reading guides for their 3.5 and PF characters, so expect some solid character from them.
It's mostly dead now, but there's a very hefty 4e optimization thread. Normally, I'd say to avoid maximum optimization, but with only two players, that might actually work out better, so they can punch above their theoretical weight class.

quote:

How quick is preparation? Can I think about some rough adventure plans and build up encounters when they show up in game (With heavy reskinning of course) or do I *have* to have them prepared in advance?
It takes preparation, but it's quick to adapt. Let's say you have a big encounter prepped with a group of Ogre Bandits for the next session (usually you've only got time for one encounter per session unless everyone plays VERY quickly), but the players instead go off into a cave system that you vaguely mentioned two sessions ago. Instead of tossing out that encounter, you can just reskin the Ogre Bandits into, say, Cave Trolls, with little more than changing the names, the minis, and maybe a couple minor powers or resistances.

What I will say is this: Do not bother with filler encounters. Each fight should be interesting in some way. 4e combat takes too long to constantly have random encounters and bar fights just for XP and what not. Think of it like a scene in a movie. No matter how many or few fight scenes a movie has, in a good movie, each of them is interesting and novel in some way. A good way to start designing an encounter is to think about how you want your players talking about it later.

Bad Example: "Remember the time we fought the goblins on our way to [City]?" "Which one?"
Good Example: "Remember that time we fought the goblins who had stolen a loving catapult and we had to fight our way up that hill while they were shooting boulders down at us?" "Haha, yeah, that was great."

quote:

"Inherent Bonuses" - Where can I find more of this besides whats written in the OP?
I assume that you get less loot but more mechanical meaningful loot? Like instead of regulary getting your +1,+2,+3-swords you at some point get your flaming sword, that scales because of Inherent Bonuses?
I think it's in the Rules Compendium, which is probably the best first book to get. You've about got the size of it. It makes giving loot about events, rather than "okay, you're level 8 now, I guess that means you need new armor."

Side note: One Rules Compendium, one Monster Vault (for all the neat monsters, pogs, etc), and one D&D Insider account will probably be all you'll need. Maybe one or two of the "Heroes of ____" books, if you really like building your characters at the table together.

quote:

Also I'd like to point back to my questions in my post before:
Others covered this one, anything I said would just be repeating them.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 31, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Having either helping or not helping shouldn't be favored. Different benefits and complications, sure. Or using it as context to evaluate their motivations, sure. But a big picture/help everyone dilemma shouldn't have a binary right or wrong answer.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Moriatti posted:

So I'm converting Planescape to 4e for a let's play/podcast I'm running of Infinite Staircase/Modron March/A few others.

I wanted to handle planar alterations to spells in a slightly more subtle way then the 2e original setting, but still be noticeable. Doing things like maxing certain spell's damage on some planes, or altering it's type.

The chapter my players are currently about to engage in takes place on a lawful plane adjacent to Mechanus (LN) so I was thinking of having all magic attack and damage rolls be rolled twice and averaged. (This game is done on roll20, so this will just be a macro I implement.)

Is this to subtle?
Not at all. As long as it's a temporary thing, that sounds pretty rad. If you don't want to break the critical hit builds, make a 20 still count as long as the other die is 11+. That will preserve the 1/20 crit chance. Do the same for extended crit range stuff, too, and probably the opposite (1s auto miss if the other die is 10 or lower).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gort posted:

Does anyone even use XP any more?
Part of the issue is that the XP guidelines assume, what, 13 fights per level? And just how much of that would be worthless filler? (Hint: About 90% of it.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Honestly, I think thirteen unique enemies (that is, counting all minions of a certain type as 'one') a level is kind of pushing it, much less full fights.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I will admit that one thing Essentials did well was create a couple classes that can easily be played with your brain on autopilot and still contributing if you're mostly playing for the social or roleplay aspect.

I mean, there's other builds that do that, too (lazylords come to mind) but credit where credit is due, "classes with strong at-wills" is not a bad goal.

Quick example, if someone new to 4e came to me and said "I don't care about all those powers or whatever, I just want to hit stuff with a greatsword", I'd probably roll them up a Slayer.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 5, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Onmi posted:

Before NEXT came out I tried to transition my party from their current PF game to 4e since I really liked the stuff I read on it. Unfortunately most would not make the jump, so sadly I never got to DM or play a game of 4th edition.
If half the things I've heard about NEXT are true, there will be plenty of people playing 4e for years to come.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

GimmickMan posted:

Arcane characters would have frostcheese, I guess?

Cold being the most supported of the classic RPG elements always seemed very random to me. It is not like cold has the same amount of options that other elements get and the cold options are better, cold just happens to have more and better options that are very easy to plug into any build. It always puzzled me.
I don't get it, either. You'd think fire would be the best-supported. Everybody loves burning things.

But hey, I'm not complaining. Vanilla Icestorm is still one of my favorite 4e characters I've ever made.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That drat comic actually resparked my desire to DM.

gently caress.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Slayers are beasts if you build them correctly, but mediocre using only essentials materials. But then, everything other than Wizards pretty much fits that particular description.
Yeah, Slayers are mostly good because they count as fighters, and thus get all the toys that fighters have gotten over the years.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is it safe to say that Wizards has lived past its age? There's no big names there any more, no big ideas outside of the eternal money machine that is MtG. And now that the RPG business has evolved back into something more auteur driven, more independent, I can't see D&D having much of a future except as a famous IP to hold on to.

Edit Especially since the days of having to buy splat books in order to get decent content died with the internet.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I kinda fondly remember the 1001 Mournlands Encounters thread. There were a few gems in there amongst the :what: and the :wtc:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Games Workshop is sincerely on a whole different level from everything else.
It's the Donald Trump of game companies.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Read my lips: No new taxes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Someone please save the Necromancer's Handbook, that's been hugely useful for the Skeleton Computer discussions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Sorry, to be clear, by that I meant 'do I just hand out improved defences and expertise for free, or do I make them spend a feat to take them?' - I was planning on going with forcing them to spend a feat, rather than giving people 2 free feats.
Give them the free feats. All they do is fix broken math.