Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Hi thread! I have the opportunity to play in a 4e game for the first time in over five years. As you can imagine, I'm pretty rusty with the system by now.

Last I played, I was interested in an Assault Swordmage|Feylock build going into Feytouched in paragon to maximize Slashing Wake teleports. I doubt it will be particularly optimal, but as long as it's reasonably capable it sounds fun to play. Also, while I haven't played with everyone in this group, I'm usually the most optimization-minded, so I'm not too worried about falling behind. Here's where I'm starting (we start at level 3):

pre:
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Eladrin Swordmage|Warlock, level 3
Eladrin, Swordmage|Warlock
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Assault
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Fey Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Background: Birth - On Another Plane (+2 to Arcana)
Theme: Iliyanbruen Guardian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 8, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 16.

AC: 17 Fort: 12 Reflex: 16 Will: 17
HP: 36 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +10, Diplomacy +10, History +12, Arcana +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Bluff +5, Dungeoneering, Endurance +2, Heal, Insight, Nature, Perception, Religion +5, Stealth +1, Streetwise +5, Thievery +1, Athletics +2

FEATS
Level 1: Eladrin Swordmage Advance
Level 2: White Lotus Riposte

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Sword Burst
Hybrid at-will 1: Eldritch Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Witchfire
Hybrid daily 1: Decree of Khirad
Hybrid utility 2: Fey Bargain
Hybrid encounter 3: Dimensional Vortex

ITEMS
Leather Armor
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
I'm a little concerned about durability. That looks like striker AC to me and my Fort is in the dumpster. I want to spend my Hybrid Talent on Misty Step by paragon, which unfortunately locks me out of Swordmage Warding. What can I do about that, or am I ok?

Can I do anything fun with Eldritch Strike's at-will slide, bearing in mind I need to use a blade? I believe we will have a Flail Expertise slide-proning character as well.

Is there an easy way to rapidly propagate Warlock's Curse? Is it worth carrying a Rod of Corruption in my off hand for this? I have a nagging feeling I may be starved for minor actions but I can't tell how true that will be in practice.

Ability scores. Obviously I have to use a 16-16 arrangement, but those tend to make distributing the remaining points annoying. Am I missing any cool feat pre-reqs here?

Any other general recommendations are welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

This is a really great response, thanks a lot.

I had seen the Slashing Wake errata—in fact, that's an important reason I want to get Misty Step, so I have more off-turn teleport abilities. I also figured I would eventually get rid of White Lotus Riposte because I would be transitioning away from using many at-wills beyond Eldritch Strike OAs/mark enforcement MBAs.

I'm seeing a lot of suggestions here that don't come up until paragon. Those are good, and I appreciate them, but I'm not going to worry about them too much right this instant because I expect to be in heroic for quite a while. Right now I'm thinking I may Hybrid Talent into Swordmage Warding early with the option to swap it out later. Since I'm mainly interested in Misty Step for its interaction with Slashing Wake when one of my allies kills a cursed target, I don't have much need for it until paragon rolls around.

I suppose if I could afford two more feats and 13 Dexterity, I could pick up an Assassin multiclass and Cursed Shadow to get Shadow Walk. I'm not sure if that's worth the contortion, though.

Item-juggling familiars are definitely worth looking into with Swordmage Warding. And thanks for mentioning expertise—that reminds me to check whether I need to handle math-fixing myself.

I'll be honest, none of the utilities really grabbed me. Definitely not set on one yet. I may have a look around skill powers and rejigger my skills if I like one.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Swordmage/Warlock as a striker can work but it also makes me at least a little bit sad because goddamn is it one hell of a defender.

While Slashing Wake (or Winter Winds—I wasn't aware of Long Night Scion but that's a nice upgrade) teleports are my fun gimmick, I'm actually more interested in defense and control powers. I've only heard about one other character concept so far (the flail proner), but I'm expecting a fairly large party (likely six), so I'm sort of envisioning a "fireman" quick response role for myself. I would be interested in your thoughts on Swordmage|Warlock as a defender, although I'm afraid this particular concept is pretty committed to fey pact if that's a problem.

I'm also inclined to avoid exploiting frostcheese unless the party turns out to be more optimized than I'm expecting. I want to avoid overshadowing anyone with a power imbalance, and I think high damage is the most obvious and problematic means of overshadowing. Like, great leader or defender abilities are mostly about letting your allies do their thing better, so an optimization difference favoring a defender or leader tends to be less irritating. People are bothered more if you do twice their DPR.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks for the replies, Cirno and TheDemon. I get a full rebuild at paragon, so what has occurred to me as a possibility is, at that point, swapping my hybrid pact for something else (maybe SK for Mindbite Scorn/Psychic Lock, since that doesn't depend on the boon or at-will) and using Twofold Pact to reacquire fey pact and get Misty Step while keeping Hybrid Talent (Swordmage Warding). Then I can potentially MC into Assassin and take Cursed Shadow to get Shadow Walk, depending on feat availability and ability scores.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Is there a good repository of encounters out there? I'm starting a game and I would like a fallback option for when I lack prep time/feel lazy. Inspiration is always good, too.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Aston posted:

2. We're going to be playing on Roll20, which I haven't really used before, so any tips you have for that would be helpful.

Roll20 has a built-in 4e character sheet that works pretty well. It also has a macro template for 4e-style powers, but they're a pain to create. They link a macro builder Google Sheet from that wiki page, but the last time I checked it out it wasn't much better, so I made my own. Mine doesn't handle some of the more niche stuff like psionic augmentation but you may find it easier to use. I'm not really satisfied with it but I also haven't had the time and energy to rebuild it to a better standard.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Moriatti posted:

So I'm running a Star Wars themed one-shot for some coworkers who were curious about D&D, and wanted to ask 2 things:

1) Is there a generally considered a "best" combat cheat sheet I can steal?

2) I made reference cards for powers and equipment, am I missing anything?

Thank you!

As long as we're picking nits:
  • You should be consistent in the structure of the Attack line, in where you refer to the targeted defense, whether you abbreviate it, and whether you italicize the parenthetical.
  • Likewise for the Hit line and ability mods.
  • Line spacing in the powers is a little inconsistent: Piercing Strike has less space between the Attack and Hit lines than between the Requirement and Attack lines, or between the Attack and Hit lines of Force Lightning.
  • I think it's conventional to capitalize "the Force" in Star Wars (Force Lightning descriptive text).
  • There's a black line partially occluding the 'C' in "Credits" on the Gungan shield.
  • You should be consistent in your choice of capitalization for "credits" for both items.
  • Item weight might be a missing feature, but I imagine you intend to gloss over it and thus it isn't actually relevant.
  • "Uses" in the Gungan shield description should probably be "Using"; if you want to keep the choppier style that "Uses" promotes, cut the comma and replace it with a period (capitalizing the next word) or semicolon.
  • Several people have called out the "it's" in the vibroblade, but I didn't see anyone mention "assasin"—it should be "assassins" (misspelled and should be pluralized).
Having said all that, I think they're very cute and you should be pleased. Looks like they contain all the necessary information.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Devorum posted:

I would appreciate it a lot, if you're willing!

Wow, thanks a lot everyone. I'm really trying to give them a good impression of 4E. They're into tactical combat, so I think they'll love it.

I can make my own campaign for them, and probably will, but if there were any truly standout adventures I figured I'd reduce my workload.

There's some discussion of 4e in the chat thread right now, too, if you're not following it. Nothing quite as on-point as you'll find here but possibly useful nonetheless.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

I really like this one (I did my own crawl of the compendium using the same program) because it has regex search and filter options, but it does have some quirks. Notably, there seems to be some kind of parse error with the power keywords where any keyword containing "or" gets separated: Force becomes "F" and "ce," Teleportation becomes "Telep" and "tation," Beast Form becomes "Beast F" and "m," and so forth.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Are there any good resources for learning how to add custom items to the offline CB? We accidentally created an artifact and I would like to represent it, with its component powers, on a character sheet. I'd love to be able to edit it directly into the sheet .dnd4e file's XML, but it looks like items there just reference the individual item data, so I'm thinking I'll have to edit/create an item .part file.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Hengeyokai racial at-will
Janissary Utility 6 Janissary's Mist (Encounter)
Watershaper level 1 feature
Gauntlets of Swimming and Climbing
Fishscale Armor

This search'll get you options.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Drewjitsu posted:

Yeah, you'll have to create a part file to merge into the database, or you can just insert it into an existing part file (I think).

What does it do?

I modeled a small new .part on the existing stuff and managed to get it working:

The scaling Intimidate was interesting to do. It seems like most items handle that sort of thing by having a separate entry at each level. I borrowed a little coding from an item that checks for the higher of two stat mods and mixed it with scaling from an expertise feat to get this:
code:
<statadd name="Artifact Intimidate" value="+4" type="Artifact Intimidate" />
<statadd name="Artifact Intimidate" value="+6" type="Artifact Intimidate" requires="Epic Tier" />
<statadd name="Intimidate Misc" value="Artifact Intimidate" type="item" />
Seems to be working as intended!

One question, since I remember you did a lot of stuff with CBLoader back when it first came out. What triggers it to rebuild the database on load? I ran into an issue for a bit where it wouldn't recognize my debugging tweaks until I renamed the .part file.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

I thought I tried updating the version number, but maybe I messed it up. The first few times I tested, it would rebuild each time. Then it just seemed to hit a wall.

Anyway, I got it working well enough and I just found the wiki on GitHub, so maybe that'll answer my questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Also, I'm toying with declaring one entire dungeon level as "one encounter", putting TWO encounters worth of monsters in it, but never more than half an encounter's worth in any one area? Sound roughly ok?

Isn't this essentially the pitch for Lair Assaults?