Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Anyone with access to the Mounted Combat feat or Mark of Handling can make full use of mounts. Goblins have a special feat for it too but I don't think it particularly offers anything special.

The real thing to remember with mounts is that you can ride anything that has the mount keyword and get full access to its mount powers. Fighting a gnoll riding a giant spider? Knock him off and take it for yourself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Blackguards are ok at dropping constant necrotic damage with Dread Smite (and it's mixed necrotic/cold so less likely to get resisted, although I imagine many necrotic resistant creatures will also resist cold). I don't think they scale very well into Epic though.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I've played a little 4e PvP and it's the most rocket tag thing ever, to the extent that a player was reduced to negative bloodied in the very first turn of the combat from 30 squares away.

The best way to handle a party member turning evil is to hand control of them over to the DM and let them become an NPC villain in the campaign. Then you can roll up a new character and keep playing and you even get to fight yourself later!

edit: thinking about it the DM could even let you run a session or two based around fighting your now-NPC character. That way you get to have a throwdown but using the combat systems the game was designed for.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Yeah my pvp experience was a 5v5 ctf match Korlac ran on the forums some time ago. It was admittedly fun despite the horrendous imbalance (but I suppose having a respawn mechanic helped that).

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Oh man that would be really sweet with the warlock power that converts any hit you take into slow ongoing damage.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
If they have other things to do while they're fighting it, sure. It that sense it's basically just an environmental hazard before a boss fight.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Agent Boogeyman posted:

Also, noting on hybrids. There are only a handful of functional hybrid combinations, and some hybrid class "halves" just don't work with anything at all and you're better off multiclassing for those (Fighter is one of them. Never hybrid a Fighter).

Actually you should always hybrid fighters with wizards because then you can use Beast Switch as a melee basic attack. Nothing quite like someone trying to run away from you getting turned into a frog for their troubles.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
My favourite hybrid I ever played was something I borrowed from the Charop boards called the Holy Prostrate.

1) Hybrid Cleric and Paladin together. You don't have to take Battle Cleric's Lore for this one. For your Paragon Path, take Hell's Keeper.
2) Pick Tiefling, dumping points into Charisma and Wisdom.
3) Take the feats Courageous Example, Dispater's Iron Discipline, Superior Will, Pacifist Healer, Resilient Focus and Hero's Poise.
4) Start dealing damage to bloodied enemies. Pacifist Healer stuns you for this until the end of your next turn.
5) Your next turn starts and Superior Will kicks in, granting you a save against your stun with a +10 bonus, guaranteeing your recovery.
6) Because you just saved against a stun, Hero's Poise and Courageous Example take effect, granting a +10 save bonus to the next ally to make a saving throw (+12 vs daze, stun, immobilise or restrain) and a +6 (+8 vs the same) bonus to all allies after that.
7) Spend the space between every turn whipping yourself into a frenzy, inspiring your party to shake off every effect the DM can throw at you. Since you're a Paladin you don't need to take actions to enforce your mark, so being stunned doesn't matter. Synergy!

It's effective and super flavourful. Even in fights where status conditions aren't being thrown around all the time (rare in Paragon) you don't care because you can still lay down debuffs, mark enemies and heal your party as a decently useful leader|defender.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks again for the feats advice.

One more: what do people mean when they say "background/theme: yes"?

If it wasn't already obvious I'm gearing up to try my hand at a 4e PbP

You can pick backgrounds (which usually offer minor skill bonuses or training in a skill your class doesn't normally receive) as part of character creation. Themes are like "super backgrounds" (or mini Paragon Paths if you prefer) that offer some benefits as you level from 1-10, and some extra power choices for your utility picks.

Some GMs prefer not to deal with them to make combat a little simpler (since 4e combat gets exponentially more complex as levels go up anyway), and because there are a couple of really good ones (Born Under a Bad Sign/Auspicious Birth lets you use a stat that isn't Con for your maximum HP, for example, which makes some classes less squishy than they should be).

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Strength paladin owns because where else do you get a 4[w] reliable power at level 1. Decapitate for the Lord all day erry day

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
my solution to that is to play in goon PbPs which never last more than one level up anyway

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Pixie Knight is pretty good because you can over hover someone's head and they can't move or shift at all without provoking.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

ProfessorCirno posted:

One houserule I've always liked that I've seen in Arivia's Neverwinter game was "one free feat, but it can't be related to combat." 4e feats have the same combat vs noncombat disparity that 3e had, so making players actually think about getting a non-combat feat helps add depth to the characters.

That was my suggestion, along with a free 'teamwork' feat (like the tribal or guild stuff) at the same level. It worked out pretty well I think.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I feel like extended rests were meant to have some element of danger anyway. It's why Drow and Warforged have those 'you don't have to sleep and are still aware while resting' traits and you can take feats that remove the perception penalty for allies and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
The best fighter build is tempest fighter with dual nets, Net Training and Foamgather Heritage + all the usual flail optimisation. Now you automatically prone and slide on everything you do, ever, and you can abuse the fighter brawler powers that are designed for barehanded grabbing while having two weapons. (Kinda low damage weapons to be fair.)