Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

bathroom sounds posted:

I get the whole Faustian angle but Faust falls apart when removed from its Judeo-Christian basis in a magic-less Real World and then blown up to the macro scale of a fantasy class.
You haven't read Faust have you. It has your bog standard stereotypical representation magic in it and its one of the most pivotal parts of the play.

quote:

In a world of ubiquitous magic, and one in which demons are real and their motivations well-known, why would anyone but a batshit insane Chaotic Evil idiot pledge their soul to a demon for fleeting magical power in life?
But in the context of Faust this is exactly what happens.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

(All Encounters are 4E... Even Baldur's Gate-onward. BG and the like include rules for 3E, 4E, and 5E setups in web pdfs).

I wouldn't use Baldur's Gate and onward encounter design as to paraphrase the chat thread when I mentioned one of the encounter design the general feeling was,"What rear end in a top hat of a DM runs your games?"

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'm a little confused by how you parsed this.
Basically I had mentioned one of the encounters from the Icewind Dale sessions and the immediate reaction was one of my DM being crappy. Effectively the Icewind Dale sessions are designed in a way to completely and utterly render certain classes and builds completely useless.